Apologetic Willie Colon says look from Todd Bowles 'pierced my soul'

Gas2No99

Apologetic Willie Colon says look from Todd Bowles 'pierced my soul'

• cimini_rich_m.jpg&w=65&h=65&scale=crop
    Dick Semen-i, ESPN Staff Writer
  •  
  •  
  •  

New York Jets guard Willie Colon apologized for the most bizarre penalty of the season -- his unsportsmanlike-conduct flag in Sunday's win over the New York Giants. It was bizarre because Colon wasn't in uniform. He's on injured reserve, so he was on the sideline in street clothes.

Nevertheless, Colon stepped outside the sideline players' box to bark a few harsh words in the direction of Giants corner Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, who came flying into the sideline while covering an Eric Decker reception.

"When that play happened, me and [DRC] kind of got in a verbal back and forth, if you will," Colon said Tuesday on SNY's "Daily News Live" show. "Decker beat him on the play. He came to me. I've never [been one] to back down. I had some un-Christian-like words to say back. The ref saw it."

The Jets were driving at the time of the penalty. Fortunately for Colon, the offense re-started and scored on a screen pass to Bilal Powell.

"At the end of the day, I'm not there to be a distraction or to hurt my team, and I did, so I feel horrible about that," Colon said. "That'll be the last incident you see from me."

Todd Bowles wasn't happy to say the least.

"The look that man gave me, it pierced my soul," Colon said. "Coach, I'm sorry. My team, I'm sorry. And it won't happen again."

Before the season, Colon promised himself to cut down on his penalties. He was a highly penalized player in 2013 and 2014 and he knew Bowles wouldn't tolerate a flag-filled season. He succeeded, committing only one penalty in six games before landing on injured reserve with a bum knee.

That's what made Sunday was ironic. And bizarre.

If Willie thinks Bowles' look was bad, he should have seen mine.  Not to mention the curse barrage I let forth.

Colon should have been cut that day.  He is a penalty machine and we don't need this moron to cost us a playoff game (God willing) because of his stupidity.

If he's not active on gameday just keep him off the field entirely, lol.

Dumb move by Colon but I still think it was a bad penalty by the refs.  I posted this in the game thread and I'll say it here.  This is not Pee Wee football, tensions are high and not only was this a big game for NY but a big game for both teams in regards to playoff implications.  I understand the refs were trying to keep control but in that situation I really feel that Colon should've been given a warning and we move on.  You can't let that kind of stuff decide a game and that was a big penalty.

Dumb move by Colon but I still think it was a bad penalty by the refs.  I posted this in the game thread and I'll say it here.  This is not Pee Wee football, tensions are high and not only was this a big game for NY but a big game for both teams in regards to playoff implications.  I understand the refs were trying to keep control but in that situation I really feel that Colon should've been given a warning and we move on.  You can't let that kind of stuff decide a game and that was a big penalty.

If it's one of those penalties that they call EVERY time then they absolutely should have thrown the flag...but if it's a judgement one then I agree.

apparently he was out of the box which make it an automatic flag(sort of like when you remove your helmet on the field it's an automatic flag, oh wait). 

I don't have a problem with the flag, but I do have a problem that a Giant walked up the sideline to bark (or bark back) and he didn't get the flag.  I am sure if a Jet had done that on the Giants sideline there would have been a rumble and then a flag against only the Jets.

I don't have a problem with the flag, but I do have a problem that a Giant walked up the sideline to bark (or bark back) and he didn't get the flag.  I am sure if a Jet had done that on the Giants sideline there would have been a rumble and then a flag against only the Jets.

Not only that but he hit Decker late OOB too.

In a thread about Bowles' "piercing" look

it should be noted that Bowles (with the winter hat) looks strangely like the grinch who stole xmas. 

image.jpeg

How-the-Grinch-Stole-Christmas-christmas

my brother (disgruntled Giants fan) pointed this out to me during the game, now I can't un see it.

Didn't Colon do something stupid a few months ago and pull this "it won't happen again" bit? Or am I thinking of Sheldon?

Either way, what a dumb ass.

It was Sheldon.  Think it was the day before the, "doing a 140 MPH with a kid in the car"  thing broke. 

I like Colon. A football team needs some attitude at times. 

willie.0.gif

Look at that ref, it wasn't because Colon was out of the box, it was what he said.  And I'm betting whatever he said deserved the flag.  There's smack talk with curse words and then there's personal nasty ass talk, my bet is Colon went with the latter. 

Archived