The glaring hole the Jets must fill in the 2016 NFL Draft ~ ~ ~

kelly

Last year at this time the Jets were on the road to a lost season and fans were dreaming about selecting Jameis Winston or Marcus Mariota in the draft. Yet the Jets won two of their last three games and did not land that big quarterback in the draft.

This year, the draft is not as hot a topic with the team trying to get to the playoffs. But if you look at the Jets’ roster, their biggest need next spring is clearly at outside linebacker. The Jets desperately need an elite pass rusher, something they have not had since John Abraham.The Jets have a ton of talent on the defensive line, but Muhammad Wilkerson, Sheldon Richardson, Leonard Williams and Damon Harrison are all run-stuffers. Wilkerson has nine sacks, but he is not a true pass rusher.

It seems crazy to suggest the Jets go defense in the first round of the draft for the seventh straight season, but they need someone who is going to scare quarterbacks. Rookie Lorenzo Mauldin has shown potential this season, but he has not shown enough to cause the Jets to feel the pass rush is set for 2016 and beyond.Notre Dame’s Jaylon Smith, Ohio State’s Darron Lee and Georgia’s Jordan Jenkins are some of the highest-rated outside linebackers in the draft. It’s time to start dreaming about them, Jets fans.

>       http://nypost.com/2015/12/09/the-glaring-hole-the-jets-must-fill-in-the-2016-nfl-draft/

assuming we're not in a position to draft a QB who'd have a chance to start in the league... I think we look at OLB/OL/RB at the top of the draft. Ideally we'd find a OT prospect we could slide to OG for a few years, find a pass rusher, and take a RB considering we don't have one on the roster that's signed past 2015

I think we seriously need to beef our oline up. Wouldnt mind drafting straight oline

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, we'll be picking 16 or above so there should be any backlash if we go OG in round one.  However, IIRC Mac said he believes in talking OL in the later rounds so I guess I'll have to put that wish on hold.

I'm not sure Mauldin can't be that guy - you could always use more edge rushers - but I wouldn't call it the most glaring need.  QB is still, far and away, the most glaring need on this team.  

Go with the best available player just like last year.  Preferably a qb but if not, just don't reach to fulfill a need.  I hope we can get a blue chip LT in either the first, second or third rounds....

• Upvote 2

I personally would love to see a RB with explosive speed.   Love Ivory, love the power he brings, but it would be nice to have a guy, that if there's a hole, can rip off big gains.

This team desperately needs speed on offense.  We have a lot of power at RB and WR but need some explosive plays too.

I'm all for BPA - but unless someone too good falls, like last year - it should be BOPA

Edited by FidelioJet
  • Upvote 3

I'm not sure Mauldin can't be that guy - you could always use more edge rushers - but I wouldn't call it the most glaring need.  QB is still, far and away, the most glaring need on this team.  

edge rushers are part time players its time this team started signing real LB's that can play the complete position you get a few good ones and the sacks will come from various postions across the defense not just the terror on the outside which are very rare and always have been

edge rushers are part time players its time this team started signing real LB's that can play the complete position you get a few good ones and the sacks will come from various postions across the defense not just the terror on the outside which are very rare and always have been

I just checked a bunch of Mock 2016 drafts and the positions we selected were QB,OT,LB'er and RB..

I wouldn't be surprised if Macc tries to trade for a few more draft picks. This is probably going to be the KEY draft in Macc's reign.

Agreed, we will either do a trade down in the 1st round or look to trade a player or two for picks.  I keep trying to think on what player is not essentially but would have value to trade.

I also saw today that Tamba Hali is due to be a FA. Would be interesting to see if KC wants to hold onto him. He just turned 32, still gets after the QB, and is an awesome compliment to Justin Houston. Not sure how much a guy like Hali would get in FA, but I would suspect he wouldn't turn down a Harris-esque contract. I might take that flier in order to rebuild the OL and draft an OLB later in the draft. 

F*cking IK Enemkpali. 

Edit: Harris contract- 3yrs 21mil. 15 guaranteed.

Edited by BroadwayJets

Running back is not a 1st round need or smart to do. You can find talent in round 3-7 and UDFA at running back.

Top needs are LB, OL, and CB, most likely (aside from obvious QB question marks).

I agree for the most part . However, I believe corners are a very tricky position to draft , especially in the first couple rounds. Too many busts lately, wouldnt mind going for one in the fourth round for example

I agree for the most part . However, I believe corners are a very tricky position to draft , especially in the first couple rounds. Too many busts lately, wouldnt mind going for one in the fourth round for example

They're going to cut Cro, Walls is a FA, the jury is out on McDougle, and they obviously have no use for Milliner. They'll need depth there and should draft someone in the first few rounds. I wouldn't go CB in the 1st for sure though, unless the BPA was a corner.

• Upvote 1

I also saw today that Tamba Hali is due to be a FA. Would be interesting to see if KC wants to hold onto him. He just turned 32, still gets after the QB, and is an awesome compliment to Justin Houston. Not sure how much a guy like Hali would get in FA, but I would suspect he wouldn't turn down a Harris-esque contract. I might take that flier in order to rebuild the OL and draft an OLB later in the draft. 

F*cking IK Enemkpali. 

Edit: Harris contract- 3yrs 21mil. 15 guaranteed.

I hate paying big money to a guy as old as Hali, but since he is from Teaneck, NJ, maybe he can take a discount?