JJ Watt breaks his hand in practice....

Beerfish

He's crazy to put his career at risk playing with a broken hand. One players steps on it or falls on it the wrong way and he could have a serious injury with permanent problems. This NE game cannot mean that much to him.

Can't mean that much?

The Houston media is calling this the most important regular season game in Texans franchise history.

There is no way Watt would ever miss this game.

Not that I expect it to happen, but if the Jets catch the Pats, the Pats wouldn't necessarily have the tie-breaker.  For example, in the unlikely event that the Jets win out and the Pats go 1-3, they could each have 11-5 records, be 8-4 in the conference, 4-2 in the division and be 1-1 head to head.   But this scenario would require the Jets to beat the Pats and Bills and the Pats to lose to the Dolphins in the last game of the season, so not likely to happen.  But if it did, what would be the tie-breaker then? 

Tie breaks within the division are : head to head, division record, common games, conference record.

Assuming we beat them head to head is a draw, so it goes to division. Pats are 4-0 (would be 4-1 if we beat them), we're 2-2 (would be 3-2 if we beat them). So we'd need Miami to win on the last day, and beat Buffalo, to tie this one at 4-2.

Common games - at present Patsies are 7-1 in common games with 3 to play; Jets are 5-3 with 3 to play. Assuming the above Mia win / Buf loss scenario, they'd be 7-2 and we'd be 6-3. We'd also need to win one more game than them, which would bring us level whichever way it goes.

As mentioned above, we'd also end on the same conference record if we win out and Patsies go 1-3. However, if we go 3-1, losing to Dallas, and Patsies go 0-4, we'd both be 10-6 but we'd win the division on the better conference record. That's the only scenario I can find where we win on that tie break.

After that it's strength of victory - which is the combined winning % of the teams that each team has beaten ... and I'm not even going to start looking at that one. It's already getting fictitious enough! :P

Tie breaks within the division are : head to head, division record, common games, conference record.

Assuming we beat them head to head is a draw, so it goes to division. Pats are 4-0 (would be 4-1 if we beat them), we're 2-2 (would be 3-2 if we beat them). So we'd need Miami to win on the last day, and beat Buffalo, to tie this one at 4-2.

Common games - at present Patsies are 7-1 in common games with 3 to play; Jets are 5-3 with 3 to play. Assuming the above Mia win / Buf loss scenario, they'd be 7-2 and we'd be 6-3. We'd also need to win one more game than them, which would bring us level whichever way it goes.

As mentioned above, we'd also end on the same conference record if we win out and Patsies go 1-3. However, if we go 3-1, losing to Dallas, and Patsies go 0-4, we'd both be 10-6 but we'd win the division on the better conference record. That's the only scenario I can find where we win on that tie break.

After that it's strength of victory - which is the combined winning % of the teams that each team has beaten ... and I'm not even going to start looking at that one. It's already getting fictitious enough! :P

We beat the Dolphins twice.  They are in our division.  But I have since been convinced that we lose the tie-breakers if we both finish 11-5.

We beat the Dolphins twice.  They are in our division.  But I have since been convinced that we lose the tie-breakers if we both finish 11-5.

The Mia win was referring to their Wk 17 game vs NE.

And NE can win the division this week, even if we win, depending on results elsewhere that effect strength of victory. So I think it's safe to say the only way we win the division is to win out and have the Patsies lose out.

Archived