Gotta get in the AFC is WIDE OPEN!

Jetster

Please, please, please, NY Jets, please win enough games to get into the playoffs! There isn't a team in the AFC that we can't upset if we get in healthy. Jets easily have the deepest secondary, deeper than Denver. I look at Denver, New England, Cincy & the Steelers and I honestly believe that the Steelers are actually the hottest team in the AFC right now. When you have balance like the Jets have on offense and you can also stop the run, anything is possible in one or two games. 

If the Steelers & Jets grabbed the last 2 wildcard spots would it really be a huge upset for either one of those teams to win a playoff game? Get this game on Sunday & set our sights on crushing Matt Cassel. I see a secondary that can frustrate the sh*t out of Dez Bryant because of Cassels weak arm. I can't see the Cowboys running on us so Cassel has to win the game, I just don't see it?

What we've seen all year is if we take care of the ball we'll win. The Giants game proved that we're getting better as we gifted them 10 points (punt return & Ivory fumble) and still pulled it out. One game at a time....I know....but I honestly believe if we can squeak in we can make some noise. It's been a long time since I've seen this team play offense like this & they haven't had a COMPLETE game yet, be nice to get that game in the playoffs.

We need three of four...the chiefs are the key...seems as if their schedule is pretty easy...pitt has cincy this week....should be interesting to see how they fare..

gotta hope someone can stub KCs toe. Or Jets go on a tear & win out,lol. That would be insane. Stranger things have happened in the NFL. The offense is really coming on if the secondary gets healthy & the defense forces a bunch of TOs like the beginning of the season anythings possible.

It is completely realistic to think the Jets win 3 of 4 and even potentially win out.

The problem is that it's completely realistic to think they lose out.  Hey... for now I'm happy we are not worrying about hoping to lose so we can get a better draft pick.

Good times... good times.

This team and its fans should not look past anyone. Titans while not great are starting to Jell, we should all know the Bills and Pats are never any kind of cake walk and the Cowboys will all be playing for there jobs. So face it, the last four are going to be tough as hell. All the more so because, one loss puts us right into a corner. So this fan who has been disappointed more years then some of you have been around, will take it one game at a time and continue to hold out hope.

Pats haven't lost more than 2 games in a row since October 2000.

And you think they'll lose 5 in a row now?

Not that I wish it

But the team plane could crash into the Broncos team plane

so that only an undead BB zombie survives

That would make the division pretty wide open.

I have a hard time believing KC isn't winning out.  This Sunday hosting San Diego is their toughest remaining game.

Steelers need to lose the next 2 vs. Cincy and Denver for me to feel good about the Jets chances.  Otherwise the Jets may have to beat the Patriots and win out to get in.  Jets appear to be in bad shape for tiebreakers if everyone wins out.

Unfortunately both the Steelers and KC have the AFC North cesspools known as Cleveland and Baltimore (with Matt Schaub at qb) remaining on their schedule.

It is completely realistic to think the Jets win 3 of 4 and even potentially win out.

The problem is that it's completely realistic to think they lose out.  Hey... for now I'm happy we are not worrying about hoping to lose so we can get a better draft pick.

Good times... good times.

In a nut shell, there is my life as a 50+ year Jet fan.  LOL!  Maybe in a nut punch?

Pats haven't lost more than 2 games in a row since October 2000.

And you think they'll lose 5 in a row now?

Not very reasonable but Houston can be a problem and if you guys get to three in a row maybe just a little bit of doubt starts to set in.  The JJ Watt injury was a nice break for you

This week we are all Bengals and Eagles fans beside our Jets. 

The Texans Pats game is basically to see what we are playing for. Division or wild card. My heart says root for Texans for the outside division chance. But my brain says root NE because it picks up our chances at a WC. So not going to sweat it

Not even going to bother worrying about KC. I'm just assuming they go 4-0 or 3-1 down the stretch and getting in as a wild card. 

If if all of these things happen we basically have a 2 game lead with 3 weeks to go for a wild card spot. 

If the Jets win out and the Pats go 1-3, losing to the Jets and Dolphins (unlikely, I know), they will both be 11-5, 4-2 in the division, 8-4 in the conference and 1-1 head to head.  Does anyone know what the next tie-breaker is?

It may be points scored.

If the Jets win out and the Pats go 1-3, losing to the Jets and Dolphins (unlikely, I know), they will both be 11-5, 4-2 in the division, 8-4 in the conference and 1-1 head to head.  Does anyone know what the next tie-breaker is?

From the ESPN web-site.

TO BREAK A TIE WITHIN A DIVISION
If, at the end of the regular season, two or more teams in the same division finish with identical won-lost-tied percentages, the following steps will be taken until a champion is determined.

Two teams
1. Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games between the teams).
2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.
3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.
4. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
5. Strength of victory.
6. Strength of schedule.
7. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
8. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
9. Best net points in common games.
10. Best net points in all games.
11. Best net touchdowns in all games.

This is all so far-fetched that it is not worth giving a lot of thought, but if the Pats lose to the Texans, there could be a tie in common games as well.  Not really sure what strength of victory and strength of schedule mean.  Not likely to happen but fun to look at.

Please, please, please, NY Jets, please win enough games to get into the playoffs! There isn't a team in the AFC that we can't upset if we get in healthy. Jets easily have the deepest secondary, deeper than Denver. I look at Denver, New England, Cincy & the Steelers and I honestly believe that the Steelers are actually the hottest team in the AFC right now. When you have balance like the Jets have on offense and you can also stop the run, anything is possible in one or two games. 

If the Steelers & Jets grabbed the last 2 wildcard spots would it really be a huge upset for either one of those teams to win a playoff game? Get this game on Sunday & set our sights on crushing Matt Cassel. I see a secondary that can frustrate the sh*t out of Dez Bryant because of Cassels weak arm. I can't see the Cowboys running on us so Cassel has to win the game, I just don't see it?

What we've seen all year is if we take care of the ball we'll win. The Giants game proved that we're getting better as we gifted them 10 points (punt return & Ivory fumble) and still pulled it out. One game at a time....I know....but I honestly believe if we can squeak in we can make some noise. It's been a long time since I've seen this team play offense like this & they haven't had a COMPLETE game yet, be nice to get that game in the playoffs.

I don't see a way that the Jets and the Steelers both make it.  It is more likely to be the Chiefs and someone else.  They are ahead in all the tie-breakers, have an easier schedule and are playing very well.  The Jets and the Steelers are likely fighting over the last wildcard spot.

From the ESPN web-site.

TO BREAK A TIE WITHIN A DIVISION
If, at the end of the regular season, two or more teams in the same division finish with identical won-lost-tied percentages, the following steps will be taken until a champion is determined.

Two teams
1. Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games between the teams).
2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.
3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.
4. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
5. Strength of victory.
6. Strength of schedule.
7. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
8. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
9. Best net points in common games.
10. Best net points in all games.
11. Best net touchdowns in all games.

This is all so far-fetched that it is not worth giving a lot of thought, but if the Pats lose to the Texans, there could be a tie in common games as well.  Not really sure what strength of victory and strength of schedule mean.  Not likely to happen but fun to look at.

"Strength of victory" means the winning percentage of the teams you beat.  Pretty ridiculous to try to map any of this out.

What we want to see

Philly beat Buffalo

Cincy beat Pittsburgh

SD beat KC

New England vs Texans (F'em let themselves beat each other to death)

Jax beat Indy (We beat indy head to head so it might better to have them in the wildcard instead of the Texans)

And of course

Jets beat Tenn

I don't know if "wide open" is really accurate.

It's basically a four team race for two spots, with two of them likely having tiebreaker advantages on us. Simply, we need to win 3 out of 4 and still be a little bit lucky. There's almost no realistic scenario where going 2-2 and finishing 9-7 gets us in. If we win out we'll get in.

So what does that mean? First and foremost, beat the Titans handily. Then move on from there.

My heart says root for Texans for the outside division chance.

You root for the Texans because we need them to win their division so at worst we end in a wildcard tie with the Colts.  We have a tiebreaker over the Colts, not the Texans.

SAR I

I don't know if "wide open" is really accurate.

It's basically a four team race for two spots, with two of them likely having tiebreaker advantages on us. Simply, we need to win 3 out of 4 and still be a little bit lucky. There's almost no realistic scenario where going 2-2 and finishing 9-7 gets us in. If we win out we'll get in.

So what does that mean? First and foremost, beat the Titans handily. Then move on from there.

By wide open I meant there isn't a team we can't beat IF we get in. Teams like the Steelers, Bengals, Chiefs have been playing teams with horrible defenses. Some of these teams have had their entire secondaries ravaged with injuries & they weren't that good before the injuries. Jets with a healthy Revis, Williams, Cro, Pryor, Gilchrist & Jarett playing well are easily the best secondary in the AFC. Sucks that the Bengals have guys in the secondary out when we need them to beat the Steelers. Let's hope Hill & Bernard can run & keep the chains moving & Big Ben watching from the sideline. That horrible Bills loss might be the death of us, Bowles 1st bad coaching mistake not kicking that FG with 3 minutes & 3 TOs left. 

If they get in, IF.  They could win a road playoff game.  If everything breaks right, IF.  An ever so slight chance for two?

However, no chance to win 3 road playoff games with awful special teams and a squad notorious for lousy 1st halves.

Not very reasonable but Houston can be a problem and if you guys get to three in a row maybe just a little bit of doubt starts to set in.  The JJ Watt injury was a nice break for you

This will be a very tough game for the Pats.

If BB does not come out and double team JJ (even with a broken hand) and double team Hopkins with Butler and McCourty, I'll be pissed.

Gotta take those two completely out of the game. You force other guys beat you, not JJ and Hopkins.

NFL Network last night said if KC, Jets, and the Steelers win out the rest of their games, the Jets get bounced and the Steelers take the 6th seed.  How is that possible?  Why wouldn't they own the 6th seed right now?

If Jets and Steelers both win out, we're tied on record (11-5) and conference record (8-4).

Next tie-break is record in common games, and essentially it would boil down to us having lost to Oakland, whom Pitt beat.

I think the only permutation where we end up with the same record as Pitt and we win the tie break is if we both go 3-1, with the Jets loss being to Dallas. We end up 8-4 in AFC games, Pitt end up 7-5.

Only reason we own the 6th seed over Pitt is due to the imbalance in the schedule - we've played 9 AFC games and are 5-4, Pitt have played 8 and are 4-4. So we're ahead as it stands now, but in two weeks, after Dallas, we'll know a lot more as we'll both have played the same number of AFC games, and Pitt will have played the tough part of their run.

If Jets and Steelers both win out, we're tied on record (11-5) and conference record (8-4).

Next tie-break is record in common games, and essentially it would boil down to us having lost to Oakland, whom Pitt beat.

I think the only permutation where we end up with the same record as Pitt and we win the tie break is if we both go 3-1, with the Jets loss being to Dallas. We end up 8-4 in AFC games, Pitt end up 7-5.

Only reason we own the 6th seed over Pitt is due to the imbalance in the schedule - we've played 9 AFC games and are 5-4, Pitt have played 8 and are 4-4. So we're ahead as it stands now, but in two weeks, after Dallas, we'll know a lot more as we'll both have played the same number of AFC games, and Pitt will have played the tough part of their run.

Pitt has to play Cincy and Denver.  Certainly reduces their chances of winning out.  And both of those teams are battling for the top seeds so they won't be resting anybody.

Pitt has to play Cincy and Denver.  Certainly reduces their chances of winning out.  And both of those teams are battling for the top seeds so they won't be resting anybody.

If they do win both of those games, we would be in trouble. If they win one of them, we would need to beat all 3 AFC teams to get in (unless they somehow lose to Baltimore or Cleveland to close out the year).

Archived