Are we witnessing the decline of the great Darrelle Revis ? ? ?

kelly

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not arguing that point at all, he is still a very good CB.

But Revis is no longer the elite, lockdown CB that he was 5 years ago. If you watched his performance in the playoffs last year, you could clearly see that.

My point is, the Jets are paying him $16MM per year (with a lot of guaranteed money still left) and that is top dollar in the NFL for CB's.

The Jets beat the Dolphins and Giants the last 2 weeks without Revis. Think they would have won those games without Brandon Marshall?

And we also won those 2 games without your comments.  Oh and didn't Tommy Boy throw like 10 INT's last week?  Totally overpaid for that bum. 

Problem when discussing Revis is that everyone is comparing today's Revis, who's still one of the best in the game to the pre knee injury Revis, who was an all time great coming off one of, if not the best season ever for a corner.  He was criticized for giving up a quick hitter from the two and the same for a 1st down to the Bills.  As if anyone else would have stopped those plays

They're also forgetting he's had a leg injury earlier to deal with.  

Elite CBs don't get beat the way Revis has this season.  Hopkins completely owned him.  Cooper owned him as well, but Cro was worse so the stats don't look too bad.  Watkins beat him to win the game for Buffalo.

Revis is a good corner, and the best on our team.  But he no longer can be relied on man-to-man, despite what "defender of the week" awards, or leads he's had in small sample sizes.  Put Revis against Hopkins again, and Revis is toast.  He physically cannot lock down a bunch of these guys anymore.

I can halfway agree with this. Hopkins owned him but Cooper didnt own Revis at all. Watkins has a great 3 yard play for a 1st down. 

If Revis was playing Hopkins every week then you may have a valid point, but thats not the case. More often than not the match-up that Revis will enter he will more likely win it. If the Jets play the Texans 16 times in a season then I have to give you the advantage here. Thats just not the case though. 

• 3 weeks later...

If he can play elite CB over the next 4 weeks and shut down every #1 WR we face(starting with Watkins) we stand a very good chance of winning the AFC crown.

Good call stopping at "AFC crown".  If Arizona makes it to the SB, and we go on a hell of run to get there too, stopping Zona's WRs will take much more that just elite play from 24.

In AFC, if healthy with Edelman and Amendola back, Pats too.  Denver a bit as well.  But neither are on Arizona's level with regards to QB/WR threats.

Cin, KC, Houston and Buff... yeah if Revis comes out on fire, he could single-handily remove a huge part of their offense. 

Good call stopping at "AFC crown".  If Arizona makes it to the SB, and we go on a hell of run to get there too, stopping Zona's WRs will take much more that just elite play from 24.

In AFC, if healthy with Edelman and Amendola back, Pats too.  Denver a bit as well.  But neither are on Arizona's level with regards to QB/WR threats.

Cin, KC, Houston and Buff... yeah if Revis comes out on fire, he could single-handily remove a huge part of their offense. 

Amendola doesn't scare me. Edelman, Gronk and White out of the backfield do. Of course the minute Brady gets flustered he gets off his game. 

If Bowles/Rodgers can get the pass rush up a level or two.....that would help out the back end of the "D"

Hopefully, Mauldin can get a step quicker as he gets more playing time and the game slows down for him.

Marshall has been a beast this year, but who would have guessed that.  Revis coming back has meant a lot to this team.  He may be declining and more often getting targeted than before, but that also increases his impact when he plays great.  Also, his work habits, film watching and professionalism is a good example for the younger CBs on the team.  I was hoping he could do something with McDoogle and Milliner (oh well).  Money well spent I think.  Sometimes, when you have the money, you can overpay.

Marshall has had more impact this year, but I think it is closer than you think.

That being said, Brady was more than happy to throw to Revis - I love his comment about you hate throwing picks, but Revis wouldn't be his first choice.  I love this rivalry now that we are no longer a joke.

Amendola doesn't scare me. Edelman, Gronk and White out of the backfield do. Of course the minute Brady gets flustered he gets off his game. 

If Bowles/Rodgers can get the pass rush up a level or two.....that would help out the back end of the "D"

Hopefully, Mauldin can get a step quicker as he gets more playing time and the game slows down for him.

Right...  while Amendola definitely doesn't scare me as a top option, if we're focused on Gronk/Edelman (and ya kinda have to be), Amendola can become lethal.  Those options make it really damn tough getting to Brady inside of 2 to 3 seconds before he gets the ball out.  Hell even w/o Edelman and Amendola last week, in the 4th we saw what they can do with just Gronk/White.  Definitely will take the D as a whole playing at a real high level with offense keeping pressure on 'em and eating up clock.

Revis is no longer elite.  No question he's a good CB, but you can't just match him up 1-on-1 anymore, which to me, drops him from the elite ranks.

In this Defense Bowles runs you were not going to see him in those 1v1 match-ups anyway and he plays more zone.  On a few occasions it looked like he got beat when in fact he didn't get the help he was expecting.

In Rex's system Revis had a very small window in which to cover his man. His coverage times were very rarely extended due to lack of pressure and that's why his numbers were so insane because QB's usually got rid of the ball quickly and Revis was probably the best ever in such a small window of coverage. Now that he's in a zone his coverage times are much longer and he has to rely on help up top more often, much more often so his job is much different. Honestly I was expecting more INT's from him in the zone but that may take time as they adjust to the new system. Its not easy for the same players who have been running Rex's system for 6 years to just change to a completely different system but they have done well for the most part and really only got torched in a few games which was expected at some point.

I think as you see Macc and Bowles adjust the personnel this defense will get that much better and I think you will see more in the way of big plays out of Revis rather than just shutting one guy down. I would much rather have the turnovers because turnovers win games.

Revis is no longer elite.  No question he's a good CB, but you can't just match him up 1-on-1 anymore, which to me, drops him from the elite ranks.

He held Dez Bryant to 1 catch (a TD). He picked off Brady in a huge spot. That's elite, period. 

In this Defense Bowles runs you were not going to see him in those 1v1 match-ups anyway and he plays more zone.  On a few occasions it looked like he got beat when in fact he didn't get the help he was expecting.

In Rex's system Revis had a very small window in which to cover his man. His coverage times were very rarely extended due to lack of pressure and that's why his numbers were so insane because QB's usually got rid of the ball quickly and Revis was probably the best ever in such a small window of coverage. Now that he's in a zone his coverage times are much longer and he has to rely on help up top more often, much more often so his job is much different. Honestly I was expecting more INT's from him in the zone but that may take time as they adjust to the new system. Its not easy for the same players who have been running Rex's system for 6 years to just change to a completely different system but they have done well for the most part and really only got torched in a few games which was expected at some point.

I think as you see Macc and Bowles adjust the personnel this defense will get that much better and I think you will see more in the way of big plays out of Revis rather than just shutting one guy down. I would much rather have the turnovers because turnovers win games.

believe that Brady threw the ball to Revis's WR 2 times.  Tough for the CB to do better than 1 inc & 1 int 

He held Dez Bryant to 1 catch (a TD). He picked off Brady in a huge spot. That's elite, period. 

So, giving up a TD to Dez Bryant from Kellen Moore and being in the right spot on a miscommunication between Brady and Gronk makes a player elite now?  I imagine if those are the criterion, then we could find many more elite players.

Neither of these things are knocks on him either, but I stand by the fact that Revis is still a very good CB, but no longer elite or the guy he was.

So, giving up a TD to Dez Bryant from Kellen Moore and being in the right spot on a miscommunication between Brady and Gronk makes a player elite now?  I imagine if those are the criterion, then we could find many more elite players.

Neither of these things are knocks on him either, but I stand by the fact that Revis is still a very good CB, but no longer elite or the guy he was.

He may not be the guy he was, but a lot better than most; also there were some games where we had absolutely no pass rush - a CB can only cover so long - I think one game even Westy was saying that it wasn't Revis' fault.

Either way, I am glad we have him.  Maybe declining but still one of the best.  

At least we didn't overpay for Suh...

He may not be the guy he was, but a lot better than most; also there were some games where we had absolutely no pass rush - a CB can only cover so long - I think one game even Westy was saying that it wasn't Revis' fault.

Either way, I am glad we have him.  Maybe declining but still one of the best.  

At least we didn't overpay for Suh...

The thread poses the question, "are we witnessing the decline of the great Darelle Revis."  I believe we are.  Unfortunately, some people take that to mean that he's not good, or is a waste, or whatever, instead of what the question suggests, which is if he is the type of player he used to be.

I think Bugg was being sarcastic, if not WTF

Archived