How we get in at 10-6

nico002

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

there's basically no chance we make it at 10-6, as it is we will struggle to make it at 11-5.

Jets are not going to make the playoffs this year at 10-6, but I will still consider it a successful season considering the depths from which the team came from. New GM new HC and the team wins 10 games. Fantastic as far as I am concerned. I don't see Pittsburgh losing any one of their last three games, Denver (with Osweiler) will not beat the Steelers in Pittsburgh, nor will Baltimore or Cleveland. KC has a far easier trek to 11-5 with only Oakland a threat to upset them. I would love to see the Jets win out, even if they don't make it. Makes for a far more interesting next season.

11-5 or 10-6 this season is still a success. I disagree with the notion playoffs or bust. Even w/ the rebuilt roster no one could of seen this team better than 8-8 even with the schedule. Even though the schedule depicts a weak schedule. The Colts were just in the AFC championship game. Who knew this Phins would be this bad? The NFC east is usually better than this, and Oakland on the road always gives us fits. Geno goes down before a game is played and we were able to ride w/ Fitz who has exceeded anyones wildest dreams. This team still lacks depth on both sides and injuries to AA and Jace probably stand out the most. We need a Olb edge rusher still and Oline although decent can be upgraded. Throw in we had a rookie GM and head coach. This year was about building a foundation and never about Super Bowl. Just to get into the playoffs is nice, but we were not raising any trophies this year, and that's what you play for.

Jets are not going to make the playoffs this year at 10-6, but I will still consider it a successful season considering the depths from which the team came from. New GM new HC and the team wins 10 games. Fantastic as far as I am concerned. I don't see Pittsburgh losing any one of their last three games, Denver (with Osweiler) will not beat the Steelers in Pittsburgh, nor will Baltimore or Cleveland. KC has a far easier trek to 11-5 with only Oakland a threat to upset them. I would love to see the Jets win out, even if they don't make it. Makes for a far more interesting next season.

every time we change coaches we get better in a hurry- since Parcells.

Parcells first year went from 1 win to 9

Groh from 8 to 9

Herm from 9 to 10

Mangini from 4 to 10

Rex from soft 9 to playoff 9

it's gtreat to be in the race, much more fun than last year but teams get better(and worse) quickly in this league.  I am happy w/ where we are at but it will be a major disappointment if we miss the playoffs.

you don't see the difference btw going 9-7 w/ that soft sched and no Brady missing the playoffs compared to going 9-7 making the playoffs and then playing in the AFC Championship Game?

And you don't see how backing in to the playoffs because two teams rested their starters against you isn't a major accomplishment, despite what happened afterwards?

You also seem to have forgotten that we collapsed in large part because our starting QB tore his bicep during that season, he just wasn't taken out.  If Brady's injury is an excuse, than if Farve stays healthy and the season goes very differently.  

Since they realigned the divisions, 82% (37/45) of 10-win teams have made the playoffs. If we miss out this year, it'll be because of the quirks of our conference, not because of some deficit of grit or coaching acumen, and arguing otherwise is dissembling bullsh*t. It's not a coincidence that the people declaring a 10+ win non-playoff season to be a failure are the same people who decided this season would be a failure no matter what the day we fired Rex.

And you don't see how backing in to the playoffs because two teams rested their starters against you isn't a major accomplishment, despite what happened afterwards?

You also seem to have forgotten that we collapsed in large part because our starting QB tore his bicep during that season, he just wasn't taken out.  If Brady's injury is an excuse, than if Farve stays healthy and the season goes very differently.  

I love the backing in nonsense.  That cracks me up.

the starting QB who made his career playing through any type of pain? the same guy who, outside of a 3-4 game stretch, was the same pre and post injury?

Favre was killing us most of that season, he never wanted to be here.

Brady was OUT for the season, we didn't have to play against him or a team led by him.  Favre PLAYED through his injury- no excuses.

Since they realigned the divisions, 82% (37/45) of 10-win teams have made the playoffs. If we miss out this year, it'll be because of the quirks of our conference, not because of some deficit of grit or coaching acumen, and arguing otherwise is dissembling bullsh*t. It's not a coincidence that the people declaring a 10+ win non-playoff season to be a failure are the same people who decided this season would be a failure no matter what the day we fired Rex.

who would those people be?

w/o the playoffs 10 wins means nothing. that has nothing to do w/ rex.

who would those people be?

w/o the playoffs 10 wins means nothing. that has nothing to do w/ rex.

Success: Jets win 10 games and Steelers and/or Chiefs lose at least two of their last three

Failure: Jets win 10 games and Steelers and Chiefs both win at least two of their last three

Success: Jets win 10 games and Steelers and/or Chiefs lose two of their last three

Failure: Jets win 10 games and Steelers and Chiefs both win at least two of their last three

the season would not be a failure if we win 10 games but it would not be a success either. 

you don't see the difference btw going 9-7 w/ that soft sched and no Brady missing the playoffs compared to going 9-7 making the playoffs and then playing in the AFC Championship Game?

Please.

The only reason Rex sniffed the playoffs that year was because Indy and Cincy sat all their starters in weeks 16 and 17.

That's the real definition of a "soft" 9-7.

I love the backing in nonsense.  That cracks me up.

the starting QB who made his career playing through any type of pain? the same guy who, outside of a 3-4 game stretch, was the same pre and post injury?

Favre was killing us most of that season, he never wanted to be here.

Brady was OUT for the season, we didn't have to play against him or a team led by him.  Favre PLAYED through his injury- no excuses.

We were handed the playoffs, by two teams resting their starters.  Worse, we were losing to the Colts until they decided they were done trying and took out Manning.  That's a fact.  It doesn't fit with your heroic Sanchez narrative, but it is a fact.  I don't know why it's funny to you, but everyone has different likes I guess.

Regarding Favre, those are again simply the facts of the situation.  Our QB was hurt.  Our coach didn't/couldn't bench him.  He hurt himself in the Titans game and it was downhill from there.

We were handed the playoffs, by two teams resting their starters.  Worse, we were losing to the Colts until they decided they were done trying and took out Manning.  That's a fact.  It doesn't fit with your heroic Sanchez narrative, but it is a fact.  I don't know why it's funny to you, but everyone has different likes I guess.

Regarding Favre, those are again simply the facts of the situation.  Our QB was hurt.  Our coach didn't/couldn't bench him.  He hurt himself in the Titans game and it was downhill from there.

we we earned our playoff spot.  we were in a 5 pt game in Indy when they pulled starters, we have no idea how that game ends if they don't.  Look to the div rd at SD, we trailed by 4 at the same point against them. if it was a late reg season game and the rested starters everyone would have said we had no shot but this was the playoffs, they played it out and we won.

vs. Cincy they pulled starters at halftime and the game as over by that point.

do people forget 1993? week 18 at Houston, the Oilers rested starters(we faced Cody Carlson instead of warren Moon).  we lost 24-0.

in 2004 Buffalo played Pitt backups in week 17 at home in a game that wiuld have sent them to the playoffs...they lost.

you still have to play the games, we won the required amojnt to make the playoffs that year and once in we proved we belonged by winning 2 playoff games for only the 3rd time in team history to that point.

the facts about favre are he never anted to be here and played like it most of the season, the facts are he made his career playing hurt and it's not why we lost.  the injury dated much earlier than Tennessee, I believe it was the KC or Cincy game earlier in the year.  he then had his only good stretch of football in November.  the Injury was an excuse.

Please.

The only reason Rex sniffed the playoffs that year was because Indy and Cincy sat all their starters in weeks 16 and 17.

That's the real definition of a "soft" 9-7.

Still have to win games and they did then, unlike NE, they proved they belonged in postseason. a s NE was getting humiliated by Baltimore the jets played for the right to represent the AFC in the Super Bowl.

we we earned our playoff spot.  we were in a 5 pt game in Indy when they pulled starters, we have no idea how that game ends if they don't.  Look to the div rd at SD, we trailed by 4 at the same point against them. if it was a late reg season game and the rested starters everyone would have said we had no shot but this was the playoffs, they played it out and we won.

vs. Cincy they pulled starters at halftime and the game as over by that point.

do people forget 1993? week 18 at Houston, the Oilers rested starters(we faced Cody Carlson instead of warren Moon).  we lost 24-0.

in 2004 Buffalo played Pitt backups in week 17 at home in a game that wiuld have sent them to the playoffs...they lost.

you still have to play the games, we won the required amojnt to make the playoffs that year and once in we proved we belonged by winning 2 playoff games for only the 3rd time in team history to that point.

the facts about favre are he never anted to be here and played like it most of the season, the facts are he made his career playing hurt and it's not why we lost.  the injury dated much earlier than Tennessee, I believe it was the KC or Cincy game earlier in the year.  he then had his only good stretch of football in November.  the Injury was an excuse.

You confuse facts for what you make up about people's motivations.  Favre didn't want to be here so he didn't try.  Sanchez knew he'd eventually be the Eagles starter, so he took a back-up job.  Neither of these are facts, they're narratives you invented to support positions you're making.

But yes, you still have to play the game.  And the Jets did win and make the playoffs, no one is actually denying that.  What came into question was your (again) opinion, that the team made a meaningful improvement from Favre/Mangini 9 wins to Sanchez/Rex 9 wins.  The latter being very fortunate to make the playoffs and the former collapsing, conspicuously at the same time the QB tore his bicep, though I guess I can't provide direct causation, so I'll leave it at that.

You confuse facts for what you make up about people's motivations.  Favre didn't want to be here so he didn't try.  Sanchez knew he'd eventually be the Eagles starter, so he took a back-up job.  Neither of these are facts, they're narratives you invented to support positions you're making.

But yes, you still have to play the game.  And the Jets did win and make the playoffs, no one is actually denying that.  What came into question was your (again) opinion, that the team made a meaningful improvement from Favre/Mangini 9 wins to Sanchez/Rex 9 wins.  The latter being very fortunate to make the playoffs and the former collapsing, conspicuously at the same time the QB tore his bicep, though I guess I can't provide direct causation, so I'll leave it at that.

I didn't say he didn't try but clearly he didn't care.  this was a man the weekend of our first game w/ NE that was busy giving scouting reports to a packer opponent rather than learning his new playbook.

when did I ay sanchez knew he'd be a starter so he took a backup job? your arguments are weak but please don't make things up.

the 2009 Jets would have slaughtered the 2008 jets.  9-7 in 2008 was not as impressive as 9-7 in 2009 just as we went 10-6 in 2001 but were much better in 2002 at 9-7.

9 wins w/ weak sched missing the playoffs vs. 9 wins against tougher sched making the playoffs and winning 2 playoff games.  which is better?

you keep saying that about Favre but there is not an evidence he got hurt in the Tennessee game, the  evidence points to much early in that season.  the injury was nothing more than an excuse.

I didn't say he didn't try but clearly he didn't care.  this was a man the weekend of our first game w/ NE that was busy giving scouting reports to a packer opponent rather than learning his new playbook.

when did I ay sanchez knew he'd be a starter so he took a backup job? your arguments are weak but please don't make things up.

the 2009 Jets would have slaughtered the 2008 jets.  9-7 in 2008 was not as impressive as 9-7 in 2009 just as we went 10-6 in 2001 but were much better in 2002 at 9-7.

9 wins w/ weak sched missing the playoffs vs. 9 wins against tougher sched making the playoffs and winning 2 playoff games.  which is better?

you keep saying that about Favre but there is not an evidence he got hurt in the Tennessee game, the  evidence points to much early in that season.  the injury was nothing more than an excuse.

The Sanchez thing was your entire narrative about why he remained on the Eagles.  Something along the lines of he took the back-up job because he liked the organization and knew he'd get another shot.  This is searchable, I don't want to bother, but if you're going to push it, at some point I will.

That the 2009 Jets would "slaughter" the 2008 Jets is more conjecture.  Not a fact.  Especially since the 2008 Jets, even with the end of season collapse scored significantly more points per game than the 2009 Jets.  All that, and I'm not even arguing that the team wasn't improved.  Rather, again, that your comment that one 9-7 represents a meaningful improvement is outlandish.

Lastly, from Favre.  "Absolutely, I was receptive to (sitting) last year," Favre told reporters yesterday at the Vikings' facility. "When we finally did an MRI and found out I had a torn biceps last year, I felt like, with about four or five games left, that even though I was making some pretty good throws and some decent plays, I felt like I was doing the team more harm because I was missing on some throws."  -- So, it's unclear when exactly it happened, but this is the best evidence we've got of when an MRI was done because it felt like it was a problem.  Right aroudn the time of the collapse.  Such a coincidence.

The Sanchez thing was your entire narrative about why he remained on the Eagles.  Something along the lines of he took the back-up job because he liked the organization and knew he'd get another shot.  This is searchable, I don't want to bother, but if you're going to push it, at some point I will.

That the 2009 Jets would "slaughter" the 2008 Jets is more conjecture.  Not a fact.  Especially since the 2008 Jets, even with the end of season collapse scored significantly more points per game than the 2009 Jets.  All that, and I'm not even arguing that the team wasn't improved.  Rather, again, that your comment that one 9-7 represents a meaningful improvement is outlandish.

Lastly, from Favre.  "Absolutely, I was receptive to (sitting) last year," Favre told reporters yesterday at the Vikings' facility. "When we finally did an MRI and found out I had a torn biceps last year, I felt like, with about four or five games left, that even though I was making some pretty good throws and some decent plays, I felt like I was doing the team more harm because I was missing on some throws."  -- So, it's unclear when exactly it happened, but this is the best evidence we've got of when an MRI was done because it felt like it was a problem.  Right aroudn the time of the collapse.  Such a coincidence.

Please provide links to that.  I said he re-signed b/c he was in a good situation, he signed for a lot of money for a backup and he'd have a chance to compete for the job on what was supposed to be a good team(and may end up being).  He did get another shot, unlike last year he failed w/ this shot and now Bradford is playing better.

the jets scored more points thanks to 2 inflated games against Ari and SL.  how many points were we scoring late in the season when in the playoff race w/ the most talented team in the division? and they scored more against a WEAKER schedule.

Favre is an excuse maker, this guy had his agents tweet out photos of his hurt  leg after he killed Minnesota's SB dreams.  he wants to be praised for being the iron man then make excuses every time he fails.  He looked the same post ten as he did pre Ten for most of that season.  this was a man who was outplayed by Jamarcus Russell, Ryan Fitzpatrick, tyler Thigpen, Shaun Hill and other big names.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/brett-favre-arm-game-short-article-1.301295

Please provide links to that.  I said he re-signed b/c he was in a good situation, he signed for a lot of money for a backup and he'd have a chance to compete for the job on what was supposed to be a good team(and may end up being).  He did get another shot, unlike last year he failed w/ this shot and now Bradford is playing better.

the jets scored more points thanks to 2 inflated games against Ari and SL.  how many points were we scoring late in the season when in the playoff race w/ the most talented team in the division? and they scored more against a WEAKER schedule.

Favre is an excuse maker, this guy had his agents tweet out photos of his hurt  leg after he killed Minnesota's SB dreams.  he wants to be praised for being the iron man then make excuses every time he fails.  He looked the same post ten as he did pre Ten for most of that season.  this was a man who was outplayed by Jamarcus Russell, Ryan Fitzpatrick, tyler Thigpen, Shaun Hill and other big names.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/brett-favre-arm-game-short-article-1.301295

LOL... So what is different about what I said that you said?

As for more points, the average was something like 4 PPG.  How does one claim inflation in 2008 but then not in 2009 with wins against the Bengals backups and the Raiders?

You can try to explain away anything you want.  I'm simply dealing in facts.  You're dealing in manipulations of the facts to fit the narrative you're invested in seeing.  You don't hear me offering rationales, just saying things as they were.  You're the one saying one 9-7 was significantly more impressive than another, which is especially absurd because the "better" 9-7 included two teams resting their starters.

LOL... So what is different about what I said that you said?

As for more points, the average was something like 4 PPG.  How does one claim inflation in 2008 but then not in 2009 with wins against the Bengals backups and the Raiders?

You can try to explain away anything you want.  I'm simply dealing in facts.  You're dealing in manipulations of the facts to fit the narrative you're invested in seeing.  You don't hear me offering rationales, just saying things as they were.  You're the one saying one 9-7 was significantly more impressive than another, which is especially absurd because the "better" 9-7 included two teams resting their starters.

we scored 56 against Ari(who allowed 48 and 47 in 2 other trips to the NE that season) and 47 against SL. 

this was the same O that couldn't score more than 13 in 5 qtrs. against a terrible Raider team and 3 pts against a terrible Seattle team and despite that there was only a 2 PPG difference.

if you don't think making the playoffs against tougher sched and having Brady around in 2009 which included a run to the title game is better than 8-7 in 2008 against weaker sched w/ no Brady and no playoffs I don't know what to tell you.

Only way to get in at 10-6 is if the Broncos beat the Steelers and our only loss is to Dallas.  If we lose to the Pats or Bills, we are out if tied with any 2 other teams from among KC-Pitt-Cinci

Or if KC loses to Oakland. I would not sleep on the Browns either, they can quite possibly beat one of these teams.

2eow8dg.jpg

Basically, the Dallas game, when it comes to playoff positioning, is meaningless. I don't think Pittsburgh or KC are going to lose twice. And, while it's possible, I don't see Denver losing out. 

Very interesting for a team in the playoff hunt to have a meaningless game in December, standings wise. Now, we still want to win to keep the ball rolling

Basically, the Dallas game, when it comes to playoff positioning, is meaningless. I don't think Pittsburgh or KC are going to lose twice. And, while it's possible, I don't see Denver losing out. 

Very interesting for a team in the playoff hunt to have a meaningless game in December, standings wise. Now, we still want to win to keep the ball rolling

I do think it is very possible Den can lose twice so in order to make it w/ them losing twice we'd have to win all 3. 

Archived