Watching Jets games from abroad

Armyjet

Hey guys,

Ill be in Malaysia for the Pats game visiting my wifes family.  I know some of you here travel and such and watch games overseas (SAR?).  I was looking for some help on the best option other than a cheap stream.  I have no problem paying so all options are welcome.  Thanks for the help.

I've used NFL gamepass on international trips twice now.  Used it last year and paid something like $10 for a week pass.  Gave all games, and the streaming quality and interface were excellent.  And used it this year (ironically.....I was a few countries East of the UK that weekend they played the Dolphins at Wembley....still kicking myself for not going...).  This time I signed up for a week free trial then just canceled before the week was up (look at me - fancy international traveler who won't fork over $10 for gamepass....).

Highly recommended.  And I agree to check availability before going.

Hey guys,

Ill be in Malaysia for the Pats game visiting my wifes family.  I know some of you here travel and such and watch games overseas (SAR?).  I was looking for some help on the best option other than a cheap stream.  I have no problem paying so all options are welcome.  Thanks for the help.

Yes, someone help.  I'll be in El Salvador during the game. 

Hey guys,

31slwU7CBkL.jpg

I find the best option for me is the Slingbox 500 which you connect between your DVR and your HDTV and it streams your home cable TV to any notebook, tablet, or smartphone anywhere in the world.  It's $199 and worth every penny, will change your life in ways you don't expect like waiting on line at the grocery store or attending your son's hockey game, you can watch the Jets anywhere you are.  It's not a subscription thing, you don't need to pay more than the cost of the box, it literally lets you control your home TV while you're on the road, whatever your TV is showing your Slingbox sends straight to you in HD.

If this is a one-time thing and you only need a single Jets game overseas, different story, choose one of the NFL streaming options mentioned already by others as it's inexpensive.  But if you travel a bit and/or find yourself missing too many games here and there, the Slingbox is a great option.  When I'm in Asia I connect my notebook to the hotel room HDTV via an HDMI cable and am watching Jets football in HD and it's a great thing.  Later when the family is asleep I can hit up the DVR and see shows I've recorded.

SAR I

31slwU7CBkL.jpg

I find the best option for me is the Slingbox 500 which you connect between your DVR and your HDTV and it streams your home cable TV to any notebook, tablet, or smartphone anywhere in the world.  It's $199 and worth every penny, will change your life in ways you don't expect like waiting on line at the grocery store or attending your son's hockey game, you can watch the Jets anywhere you are.  It's not a subscription thing, you don't need to pay more than the cost of the box, it literally lets you control your home TV while you're on the road, whatever your TV is showing your Slingbox sends straight to you in HD.

If this is a one-time thing and you only need a single Jets game overseas, different story, choose one of the NFL streaming options mentioned already by others as it's inexpensive.  But if you travel a bit and/or find yourself missing too many games here and there, the Slingbox is a great option.  When I'm in Asia I connect my notebook to the hotel room HDTV via an HDMI cable and am watching Jets football in HD and it's a great thing.  Later when the family is asleep I can hit up the DVR and see shows I've recorded.

SAR I

Tell more please. Say I am in Chicago sitting in my hotel room. My family is watching TV at home when I want to watch the Jets. What happens? Does the TV at home show what you are watching on Laptop?

31slwU7CBkL.jpg

SAR I

yeah I used to use it all the time.

I live in Florida, and it was attached to my brothers TV in NJ.  watched every game

Im hoping gamepass works.  So basically once you are abroad the app recognizes the foreign ip address and you can access international gamepass and live stream games? As I know the US gamepass does not allow that. Thank you.

sure you can live stream. Do it all the time from Sweden. :)

Can you buy just one game with the gamepass or do you have to buy like the entire season?

EDIT: now that I think about it, what is the gamepass?  haha.  An app or just an site you need an account for? 

it's an app. That on your phone/laptop or Apple TV thru nfl now app works like a charm!

Tell more please. Say I am in Chicago sitting in my hotel room. My family is watching TV at home when I want to watch the Jets. What happens? Does the TV at home show what you are watching on Laptop?

Slingbox-Live-TV-Verizon-Remote-Superbow

Yes, the TV at home that's connected to the Slingbox has to 'watch' what you want to watch while out of town.  The way it works, you take the HDMI cable out of your TV, plug it into the Slingbox in, and then go from the Slinbox out via HDMI back into the TV.  The Slingbox sits between your cable box and the TV so whatever you tune your cable box to is what you get on both your TV and the Slingbox.  In fact, if you use a laptop to watch Slingbox it brings up your remote from your home TV and you click it with your mouse.  It's very familiar that way.  You hit 'guide' on the virtual remote with your mouse, it brings up the guide.  It's super easy.

It's recommended to hook up to a basement TV or a guest room TV so that the family at home isn't forced to watch what you want to watch.

SAR I

Slingbox-Live-TV-Verizon-Remote-Superbow

Yes, the TV at home that's connected to the Slingbox has to 'watch' what you want to watch while out of town.  The way it works, you take the HDMI cable out of your TV, plug it into the Slingbox in, and then go from the Slinbox out via HDMI back into the TV.  The Slingbox sits between your cable box and the TV so whatever you tune your cable box to is what you get on both your TV and the Slingbox.  In fact, if you use a laptop to watch Slingbox it brings up your remote from your home TV and you click it with your mouse.  It's very familiar that way.  You hit 'guide' on the virtual remote with your mouse, it brings up the guide.  It's super easy.

It's recommended to hook up to a basement TV or a guest room TV so that the family at home isn't forced to watch what you want to watch.

SAR I

Thanks. Will drop the hint to wifey ao she buys me one. 

Thanks. Will drop the hint to wifey ao she buys me one. 

Make sure you tell her to spend the extra money on the HD version, its called the 500.  You'll love it.  You don't even know its there and hooked up all the time, but the moment you're somewhere missing a show you realize you have it and you can watch wherever you want.

I must have watched about 50 Jets and Rangers games on it over the years, it's the only way for a sports fan to stay connected reliably and easily.  I'm leaving for Hong Kong the Monday after Christmas, if the Jets make it to the wildcard round I'll be watching the Slingbox at 4AM in Asia.

SAR I

Hey guys,

I'm your neighbor in Singapore. I watch the games on NFL.com with a season pass

SAR

Amazon reviews are downhill after they changed the software and introduced the mandatory Ads. How do you deal with it?

The ad is only visible when you're in window mode; I'm always in full-screen (or pop-out) thus no ads.  If you like the window, there are browser plug in's that make them go away.  On the iPad and the iPhone apps, no ads at all, not an issue.  I wouldn't let the negative press bother you, I don't get fed ads at all.  I can see why some are upset, but all they have to do is hit the 'full screen' or 'pop out' button and the ads are never seen.

Hint if you buy a Slingbox (and you should) is to get the iPhone version of the app which works on both the iPhone and the iPad whereas the iPad version works only on the iPad.

SAR I

Yep thats what I do. When Im watching from the UK I have NFL Redzone playing on the TV whilst streaming the Jets game via the gamepass app on my Ipad.

The only negative is that when I watch through the NFL Now app on Apple TV I can't find Redzone or NFL Network. That sucks! 

Archived