Update on Deflategate appeal

Jet Fan RI

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So we all agree the NFL is insanely stupid. Why did OBJ only get one game? He was a complete mess vs. Carolina and launched himself at Norman on National TV? 

In this case I believe it's about the legal system and it's interpretation of the collective bargaining agreement. Firmly believe the NFL might have wanted to go stiffer but may have had another suspension ending up in the courts.

Patriot fan here. I've been ridiculed on Patriot boards because I can't get by the text messages between the ball boy and the Equipment manager. Where I disagree with Jets fans is the level of advantage provided. No doubt Brady likes the footballs on the low end of the 12.5 - 13.5 range, maybe even a tick or two under. I don't think anyone gave a sh*t about psi. The NFL wanted qb's to be happy and score more points. After the gas law is applied, it appears the Pats balls were either right at 12.5 or in the 12.2 to 12.4 range. Refs who touched the balls after every play could not notice that the balls were under. The opinion that the balls were so deflated(Morts bogus 2 lbs aka 10.5 report) that the Patriots didn' t fumble and caught the balls easier is complete B.S. If Brady hadn't done the presser where he told the Ravens that they should learn the rule book, this never would have escalated. Brady should have been fined 50K and it should have been over. That being said. Really looking forward to another Jets/Pats playoff meeting. 

My own opinion is that Brady has been taking one for the team since day-1 on this.  I think the linkage between lower ball pressures and lower rates of fumbling has been understood for years and if that your team could somehow find a way to fumble less often especially in colder weather then that would bring a huge advantage to the team.  Especially come playoff time.

I think Bill Belichick knew all about the ball pressures and I think the instruction to lower ball temperatures would have come down from the top even if Brady had happened to prefer and over-inflated football.  I think that Brady was desperate to not have his phone records searched not because he was afraid the investigators would find the texts from the equipment guys (which they already had).  I think the reason Brady destroyed his phone is because it would have pointed directly to Bill Belichick and if that ever came out then it would not be a 4-game ban we would be talking about here.  It might have been a whole year or even a lifetime ban.

My own opinion is that Brady has been taking one for the team since day-1 on this.  I think the linkage between lower ball pressures and lower rates of fumbling has been understood for years and if that your team could somehow find a way to fumble less often especially in colder weather then that would bring a huge advantage to the team.  Especially come playoff time.

I think Bill Belichick knew all about the ball pressures and I think the instruction to lower ball temperatures would have come down from the top even if Brady had happened to prefer and over-inflated football.  I think that Brady was desperate to not have his phone records searched not because he was afraid the investigators would find the texts from the equipment guys (which they already had).  I think the reason Brady destroyed his phone is because it would have pointed directly to Bill Belichick and if that ever came out then it would not be a 4-game ban we would be talking about here.  It might have been a whole year or even a lifetime ban.

I can't believe it took a Jets fan this long to come up with this scenario.

I agree with you EM, this isn't about Brady instructing 2 equipment managers to let air out of the footballs.

I think Brady took the fall for this thinking the worst result would be a fine. Kinda snowballed from there.

I think it is more the opposite.  One of his problems was that this was the initial suspension for this kind of infraction.  They have been sweeping this kind of sh*t under the rug, probably to "protect the integrity of the game" and keep the gamblers happy.  If he had done something earlier about deflation stuff Brady would have been on notice.  This is part of what Feely was talking to Berman about.  Something happened in 2009 with Jets and the equipment guy got in trouble and that was it.  Feely described this as something that should maybe be a speeding ticket and the NFL reacted like it was homicide.

First of all, I think that using a different brush/pad when preparing the ball is a violation but not as significant as under-inflation of a ball that is used for most of the plays.  Also, there is a difference between roughing up the ball and hoping to not get caught and taking a ball(s) that were approved by officials and then tampering with them.  I feel this is a huge difference in both intent and attitude - but I can see how Pats fans may not see the distinction.

The real difference in my mind is that after getting caught, most teams/people fess up and take the punishment.  If Brady had said, "hey, I didn't realize what was going on and although I didn't intend to have this done.  But, if my actions encouraged someone to tamper with the balls or assume that I was okay with the tampering, that was not my intent, but I am sorry" - I think the team would have be fined and maybe some equipment guys would have gotten suspended.

Instead, BB said he didn't know, ask Brady. Brady was dodgy in the press conference and not only failed to co-operate, but clearly destroyed the phone.  On top of that, the team's lawyers tried to prevent access to witnesses.  The team cried that they would being wronged and picked on and that they didn't cheat, but if they did, it would not effect the game (probably not for Indy, but maybe Baltimore the week before).

There were other violations this past year, in each case the team fessed up and there were fines and suspensions and it was over.  I believe had Brady 'fessed up', there would have been a fine (probably not Brady) and it would have been done.  No way the NFL bans them from the post season.

Patriot fan here. I've been ridiculed on Patriot boards because I can't get by the text messages between the ball boy and the Equipment manager. Where I disagree with Jets fans is the level of advantage provided. No doubt Brady likes the footballs on the low end of the 12.5 - 13.5 range, maybe even a tick or two under. I don't think anyone gave a sh*t about psi. The NFL wanted qb's to be happy and score more points. After the gas law is applied, it appears the Pats balls were either right at 12.5 or in the 12.2 to 12.4 range. Refs who touched the balls after every play could not notice that the balls were under. The opinion that the balls were so deflated(Morts bogus 2 lbs aka 10.5 report) that the Patriots didn' t fumble and caught the balls easier is complete B.S. If Brady hadn't done the presser where he told the Ravens that they should learn the rule book, this never would have escalated. Brady should have been fined 50K and it should have been over. That being said. Really looking forward to another Jets/Pats playoff meeting. 

Sorry bud. Physicist here. I read the technical appendix to the Wells report. The testing lab did much, much more than just "apply the gas laws.' They did, in my judgment, a careful scientific investigation. Also, in my judgment, their results demonstrated manual deflation of the balls occurred to a level of proof well beyond the "more probable than not" standard expressed within the rules themselves for what is required in order to demonstrate that the rules were violated.  

I agree with you EM, this isn't about Brady instructing 2 equipment managers to let air out of the footballs.

I think Brady took the fall for this thinking the worst result would be a fine. Kinda snowballed from there.

I agree, I think Brady took the fall for other people, but then if you are going to take the fall, and you don't cooperate (didn't want to turn them in) and destroy evidence, you either should take the fall without whining or change your stance.  I think you don't take the fall, and then say, "hey, I didn't do anything wrong"

Fortunately for Brady, Godell and the NFL are incompetent losers and he is likely to get off.

Ah. Glad to see you have come to agree with the Wells report that Brady was "at least generally aware." Seems like we can tie up the debate on that note. 

Sorry bud. Physicist here. I read the technical appendix to the Wells report. The testing lab did much, much more than just "apply the gas laws.' They did, in my judgment, a careful scientific investigation. Also, in my judgment, their results demonstrated manual deflation of the balls occurred to a level of proof well beyond the "more probable than not" standard expressed within the rules themselves for what is required in order to demonstrate that the rules were violated.  

It seriously must be so awesome to be able to say, "Sorry, bud. Physicist here." 

Aw, c'mon... you won the prestigious Rimsky Korsakov award for excellence in literature.

To put that into context for you, it's exponentially more difficult and valorous to win a JN Post of the Week Award than it is to win an academic commendation from SUNY Cortland.

What is comical is the Jets are about to play their biggest football game in 6 years, and Jets fans are still crying about a football that was .2 PSI below regulation.

That's pretty sad.

I am still waiting for your proof from the judges decision that he found brady innocent

and I have posted the data many times.  the colts balls were consistent, the pats balls were all over the place and in one case 2 psi below which is significant for a bad weather game

almost like some dude who was expecting better payola quickly deflated them with a needle in a locked mens room as he left the officials room early and headed to the field

if you are so confident in your post, show me the data from the wells report

wait, we already know you are a gutless turd who doesn't even believe his own troll crap, lol

I am still waiting for your proof from the judges decision that he found brady innocent />

You need to wake up and smell the coffee.

Brady was suspended for 4 games and it was overturned by a Federal judge.

If Brady was guilty, the suspension would have been upheld.

What part of that don't you understand?

You are dumb as a stump.  Troll away...

you owe me the part of bermans decision where he declares brady innocent

you owe me the data from the wells report

gutless

turd

you owe me the part of bermans decision where he declares brady innocent

you owe me the data from the wells report

gutless

turd

Dude, take a chill pill and spend some time with your family.

It's 2 days before Christmas and you are flipping out about a court decision that impacts the entertainment industry.

The NFL is not life and death.

It's 2 days before Christmas and you are flipping out about a court decision that impacts the entertainment industry.

dude, put up or shut up

Brady was found innocent by a Federal judge.

No he wasn't.  You need to read the details of the decision apparently.  

This is a new twist for you. Is it a new troll technique to purposely make yourself come across as a simpleton? I'd abort this agenda if i were you. It's just plain stupid. And it makes you look stupid.

Did Brady miss the first 4 games this year due to the suspension?

He was found innocent in a Federal Court.

Okay. We'll call it "he was found innocent in a federal court" as long as you agree to say that he was "found guilty in a federal appellate court" when the original federal ruling is overturned.

Says the Patriot fan with over 20000 posts on a Jets message board.  And that's not even counting your 30000+ on the old JI, and probably 20000+ on other Jet message boards that I don't even know about.  

Thats about as dumb a description of what happened as there is. 

Brady was guilty, the judge didnt agree that a 4 game suspension was called for given the CBA.  No matter how many times you and other Pats excuse makers cry that he was found innocent, nothing about this says he's innocent in anyones eyes

Thats about as dumb a description of what happened as there is. 

Brady was guilty, the judge didnt agree that a 4 game suspension was called for given the CBA.  No matter how many times you and other Pats excuse makers cry that he was found innocent, nothing about this says he's innocent in anyones eyes

NFL suspended Brady for 4 games.

That was overturned in a Federal court of law.

In any court trial, you are either found guilty or innocent.

Brady was never suspended nor fined for any wrongdoing.

If your are found guilty in a court of law, there are consequences to always be paid.

Brady has paid absolutely nothing.

He was found innocent.

In your judgement.

Every Physicist does not agree.

Archived