SW Force Awakens ***SPOILER*** Thread

prime21

I could see it happening' I mean, Harrison Ford isn't getting any younger, so maybe he only signed on for this movie.

Great scene though on the bridge, as soon as the light faded on them I knew something bad was going to happen. 

Harrison Ford has said publicly he didn't like playing Han Solo and had no interest in ever playing him again. They were lucky to get him to agree to one movie and they had to pay through the nose to get him.   

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, I'm talking

Like 90% of it.  BUT   Rey wiping out Kylo when she's never even held a sword in her life.  GTF out of here.  This guy was trained by Luke, then by a Sith, and she crushes him?  Heck, Boyega's character should have lasted 2 seconds.  Like... 2.

I saw the flick yesterday and came away not really liking it.  Like you, I thought Rey's proficiency with the Force and light saber were ridiculous.  But even more stupid was Finn's ability to just pick up the light saber and duel like an expert.  LOL!  WTF, was J.J. Abrams thinking?  No offense, but that kid was a low rent Will Smith.  IMO, just totally miscast.

I also did not like the "old home week" cameos of C3PO and Lea.  As well as the corny lines like "what did you do to your hair?"  Good friggin' lord.

The one positive was the Kylo Ren character.  I thought the actor and his story line were great.  About the only realistic and dramatic aspect of the film was when Kylo kills Han.  To further the story, and his quest for consummate evil, he had to calmly kill his father.

- Poe is the sh*t. That is a character that deserves his own solo flick. I think Abrams knows how everyone loves Wedge so much, and just decided to give us another Wedge.

Wedge wouldn't have gotten himself shot down during the getaway, though.

Saw it this afternoon. Loved it. Would have preferred Farmboy getting the skewer instead of Han, but oh well.

Wife was reading me something she saw online, some father-daughter conversation where his theory was that Kylo Ren is going to the darkside upon Luke's orders, to destroy it from the inside-out. Killing Han, and Han obliging him by saying "Anything.", was to help him complete the transition away from the light, to the dark. The reason Kylo offers to teach Rey is to unite the two of them, knowing that only together they can defeat Snoke. More to it than this, obviously, but it was a great reactionary theory... I got a kick out of it. Definitely a narrative path that goes far past some of the obvious routes they could go after TFA.

I love that people are interpreting and discussing this movie, like good art should inspire. Not enough of that in today's world of recycled ideas... which I realize is ironic since they recycled so much of A New Hope to model this story after.

Wife was reading me something she saw online, some father-daughter conversation where his theory was that Kylo Ren is going to the darkside upon Luke's orders, to destroy it from the inside-out. Killing Han, and Han obliging him by saying "Anything.", was to help him complete the transition away from the light, to the dark. The reason Kylo offers to teach Rey is to unite the two of them, knowing that only together they can defeat Snoke.

If Snoke is a Sith, which by all initial appearances he has to be (but who knows), he wants Kylo to do that. Especially if Rey is a Skywalker.

Wife was reading me something she saw online, some father-daughter conversation where his theory was that Kylo Ren is going to the darkside upon Luke's orders, to destroy it from the inside-out. Killing Han, and Han obliging him by saying "Anything.", was to help him complete the transition away from the light, to the dark. The reason Kylo offers to teach Rey is to unite the two of them, knowing that only together they can defeat Snoke. More to it than this, obviously, but it was a great reactionary theory... I got a kick out of it. Definitely a narrative path that goes far past some of the obvious routes they could go after TFA.

I love that people are interpreting and discussing this movie, like good art should inspire. Not enough of that in today's world of recycled ideas... which I realize is ironic since they recycled so much of A New Hope to model this story after.

rey and luke could kill snoke

luke redeemed anakin....maybe the story arc is for him to redeem rey ?

I wonder if episode VIII has her going over with kylo then luke redeems her or both of them in IX

Not consensus, since there is debate, but I believe the stronger evidence is that she's Luke's daughter (and my subsequent viewings made me feel more for that theory).

After I saw it the first time, I thought she was Han/Leia's daughter, but then my buddy made an eye opening question (to me): "Are you saying they lost TWO kids? How bad of parents are they?"  From there, the Han/Leia connection started falling apart for me.

Without being trained, why would she be stronger in the Force than Ben Solo if not that she was a direct Force line from Vader?  The lightsaber called her and she had a stronger pull to it in her battle with Kylo Ren.

Although I have no evidence of it from this movie, I'm also guessing that Rey's mom was Force sensitive as well, which adds to her extra power.  Kylo Ren's problem is that only his mom is Force sensitive and she never developed her powers.  My guess (based on Han/Leia's dialogue) is that Ben Solo was showing signs of unfocused power as a child which they couldn't control, so they sent him to Luke.

Lastly, remember the second teaser trailer for Force Awakens?  Mark Hamill has the opening narrative (which isn't in the movie).  "The Force is strong in my family. My father has it. I have it. My sister has it. You have that power too."  IMO, he's talking to Rey as his daughter.

Dude I totally used this argument today against someone that said it is a plot hole.  It shut them up.  ;)

If Snoke is a Sith, which by all initial appearances he has to be (but who knows), he wants Kylo to do that. Especially if Rey is a Skywalker.

That's what I thought too. I told my wife that the Emperor led Vader, and yet Vader still offered to teach Luke the ways of the dark side. So Kylo offering to teach, while still having a master of his own, is feasible.

This also brings me back to the quote from Yoda in TPM, when he says the rule of two: "Always two there are; no more, no less. A master and an apprentice." At the time, we figure Maul and Palpatine, but if Emperor/Vader/Luke could have happened... then couldn't ?????/Palpatine/Maul?

Lastly, remember the second teaser trailer for Force Awakens?  Mark Hamill has the opening narrative (which isn't in the movie).  "The Force is strong in my family. My father has it. I have it. My sister has it. You have that power too."  IMO, he's talking to Rey as his daughter.

I said it back at the time of the trailer to some people... he could be talking to his own child, or a neice/nephew. The specific use of the word "my sister" both harkens to the original quote it is derived from in Jedi, but it also conveniently makes it open-ended.

That's what I thought too. I told my wife that the Emperor led Vader, and yet Vader still offered to teach Luke the ways of the dark side. So Kylo offering to teach, while still having a master of his own, is feasible.

This also brings me back to the quote from Yoda in TPM, when he says the rule of two: "Always two there are; no more, no less. A master and an apprentice." At the time, we figure Maul and Palpatine, but if Emperor/Vader/Luke could have happened... then couldn't ?????/Palpatine/Maul?

While Palpatine convinced everyone/Vader that it could be the three of them together, let's not forget that his ultimate attempt to turn Luke was by having him kill off Vader and, if that didn't happen, for he and/or Vader to kill Luke instead.

That said, this wouldn't necessarily mean that they're still playing by the old school Sith rules, and even if so, there's always the other possibility of Snoke looking to "upgrade" with Rey.  Who knows, in the end there's lots of possibilities.

While Palpatine convinced everyone/Vader that it could be the three of them together, let's not forget that his ultimate attempt to turn Luke was by having him kill off Vader and, if that didn't happen, for he and/or Vader to kill Luke instead.

That said, this wouldn't necessarily mean that they're still playing by the old school Sith rules, and even if so, there's always the other possibility of Snoke looking to "upgrade" with Rey.  Who knows, in the end there's lots of possibilities.

Just like he had Anakin Kill Dooku, so that he could take his place.

I don't think the Sith usually like having a line of 3.  Vader would have taken Luke, trained him, and then the 2 of them would have taken on Palpatine.

Also, if Kylo is a Knight of Ren, not a true Sith, then he would think nothing of having more knights under him.  It's possible Snoke didn't want to fully train Kylo as then he sets up a possible person to have to fight.  If Kylo is not fully trained, he can never dream of taking on Snoke.

While I thought the whole thing was great, there definitely has to be extra props for some of the biggest moments being even despite of them being "obvious".  As someone said earlier, as soon as Solo starts walking out there, you know what's coming, yet in my head I can't help but keep going "NO NO NO NO NO" and trying to convince myself, especially as the scene goes on longer, that it wouldn't happen.

Then when Rey wins the force-off to get the lightsaber, you could definitely see that coming before it happened, but that didn't stop it from still being a complete HELL YEAH! type of moment.

In the end though, when being asked early on and avoiding even the slightest bit of spoilers, the thing I always said is a huge plus for this was that you seriously saw more character development occur (successfully) in this one movie than the entire prequel trilogy combined.  While it was great to see the old favorites, their first goal was clearly to get everyone to care about the new generation of characters that are set to be the future of the franchise, and definitely nailed it there.  I'm sure many of us would have loved this regardless, but there's only so long the old characters could have held up as being all of the leads.

Pretty much. This is what I've been trying to tell everyone who bitches about Rey killing it with a saber. It's Star Wars. It never makes sense. The original trilogy doesn't either. It's not supposed to make sense, it happened in a long time ago in a galaxy far far away.

I'd agree with that theory except for the fact that Kylo seemed to have killed all of the other Padawans, and I don't think Luke would want them all slaughtered.

I'd agree with that theory except for the fact that Kylo seemed to have killed all of the other Padawans, and I don't think Luke would want them all slaughtered.

I think his theory was something along the lines of sacrificing them all, to make it appear none were left, while Rey was sent into hiding. Anyway, I haven't come across it yet, so I haven't been able to read it in detail. I'm going by what my wife recited to me from her phone, while I was driving home from the airport after our Christmas trip. Needless to say, I was half tuned-in.

I think people had so much invested in having to love this movie, that they are self-required to love it. 

It's better than the prequels for the most part, but that's not much of a bar to set. I hope the subsequent movies are, um, better.

Loving the movie and the movie being a "great movie" are not mutually exclusive. 

I love tons of terrible movies. I love tons of great movies. 

I read another theory is that she could be related to Obiwan.  Of all the main characters recently, Obi is the only person beside Threepio to have an accent.  She seemed like she was a loner so not sure she picked that accent up on Jakku.  The other thing is that OBI's voice was used in the flashback scene for Rey and lets not forget her clothes are similar to what Obi wore.  He did have a lot of time waiting for Luke to grow up.  

Another point is the scene that could be paying homage to her grandpops with The Jedi mind trick scene on the storm trooper.  

Abrams also stated that Rey's loneliness is the key to her origin  Obi was a lonely guy for many years.

Do i believe it?   I believe and don't believe eveything.

I read another theory is that she could be related to Obiwan.  Of all the main characters recently, Obi is the only person beside Threepio to have an accent.  She seemed like she was a loner so not sure she picked that accent up on Jakku.  The other thing is that OBI's voice was used in the flashback scene for Rey and lets not forget her clothes are similar to what Obi wore.  He did have a lot of time waiting for Luke to grow up.  

Another point is the scene that could be paying homage to her grandpops with The Jedi mind trick scene on the storm trooper.  

Abrams also stated that Rey's loneliness is the key to her origin  Obi was a lonely guy for many years.

Do i believe it?   I believe and don't believe eveything.

Yea, I believe there are plenty of breadcrumbs that suggest Obi. That'd be awesome, if they diversity the blood lines of where the Force is coming into play... more than just Skywalkers.

Her clothes though, are just like Luke's in ANH.

Yea, I believe there are plenty of breadcrumbs that suggest Obi. That'd be awesome, if they diversity the blood lines of where the Force is coming into play... more than just Skywalkers.

Her clothes though, are just like Luke's in ANH.

i would love to see Ewan McGregor as Kenobis force Ghost counseling she and Luke. 

I really wish George Lucas would stop doing interviews about this sh*t, or at the very least take the high road. He did such a great thing in not only selling off the franchise but also just giving the money away, and now he's coming off like the most bitter old fool ever.

I also think he was afraid of another bAcklash like he had for the prequels. I'm not a prequel hater but I'm sure it hurt him to hear all that negativity. His pockets are full so he shouldn't be crying now.

and another thing....

so disappointed in captain phasma !!!       she looked soooooooooooooooooo cool and then she had 3 minutes of screen time and just turns of the shield without a fight

boooo

This I agree is a fair criticism

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really wish George Lucas would stop doing interviews about this sh*t, or at the very least take the high road. He did such a great thing in not only selling off the franchise but also just giving the money away, and now he's coming off like the most bitter old fool ever.

So agree.

"I sold it to white slavers..."  Dude, shut up.

and he's complaining, "they didn't want to use my ideas."  Well, your last 3 ideas weren't so good, so there's that.  Plus, when you spend 4 BILLION dollars on something, it seems fair that you would want to do things your own way.

So agree.

"I sold it to white slavers..."  Dude, shut up.

and he's complaining, "they didn't want to use my ideas."  Well, your last 3 ideas weren't so good, so there's that.  Plus, when you spend 4 BILLION dollars on something, it seems fair that you would want to do things your own way.

Bitching that they made a movie for the fans. No sh*t Sherlock, you mean the fans that you made a gazillion dollars off of? Those fans?

Bitching that they made a movie for the fans. No sh*t Sherlock, you mean the fans that you made a gazillion dollars off of? Those fans?

Seriously.  The Ewoks were done for artistic integrity? 

He could have made a movie not for the fans, maybe through in a Jar Jar.

I think I know why george is grumpy

from rotten tomatoes

Episode VII;

top critic score = 8.2/10, 316 reviews.   audience score = 4.4/5, 169,000 reviews

Episode III

top critic score = 7/10 52 reviews. audience score =3.1/5 33,000,000 reviews

they made a movie that everybody loves and they are raking in cash at record shattering rates

I did not realize, foolishly, that they were going all in on Star Wars movies. 

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Upcoming-Star-Wars-Movies-List-Titles-Release-Dates-100467.html

I guess I am not as big a nerd as RJF. :)

I'm not proud of any of this. But the look on my wife's face at parties when I start breaking down the philosophical ins and outs of Boba Fett makes it all worth it.

Archived