Fitz's Stats (Chasing the Greatest QB Season in Jets History)

Warfish

Namath would have lit up the pats secondary with 4 TDs and 450 yds, there would have been no overtime. If you watched Namath play and in that era, you would know greatness.

Baseless speculation.  He just as potentially would be on IR for a blown knee.  For every issue that says he'd be great now (less roughing of WR's) there is an issue saying he wouldn't (how would those famous Joe knees have held up to a modern NFL linebacker hitting them, eh?)

Even if Namath were here, now, and threw 4 TD's for 450 Yards (cause he did that alot?) and no with his usual 3 INT's to go with it, modern-day Jets Fans would be saying he was too old, a JAG, a journeyman at best, a fluke, that we should be playing Geno instead because of his potential, not this old man with bad kees, etc, etc, etc.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this thread is cringe worthy on many levels.

Fitz was about to get benched a month and a half ago before running into a bunch of the worst passing D's in the league and a Pats team with half their roster out.  Not sure why people can't be happy without the extreme hyperbole and silly declarations. 

He's making smart decisions, playing good football, and passing to a top WR combo in the NFL.  That's what's happening..  he didn't turn into Johnny Unitas in early Nov.

If the WR's were still Stephen Hill, Clyde Gates, Chaz Schillens etc we would most certainly NOT be talking about backing up the brinks truck for Ryan Fitzpatrick.  Normally these threads don't bother me but the mass idolization that's going on yesterday and today is just too much. 

party pooper

Baseless speculation.  He just as potentially would be on IR for a blown knee.  For every issue that says he'd be great now (less roughing of WR's) there is an issue saying he wouldn't (how would those famous Joe knees have held up to a modern NFL linebacker hitting them, eh?)

Even if Namath were here, now, and threw 4 TD's for 450 Yards (cause he did that alot?) and no with his usual 3 INT's to go with it, modern-day Jets Fans would be saying he was too old, a JAG, a journeyman at best, a fluke, that we should be playing Geno instead because of his potential, not this old man with bad kees, etc, etc, etc.

Dude If you would have seen Namath play, you would sing a different tune, you cannot look at stats in that era and then compare to Pussified era. Namath was brilliant. Poetry in motion. 

Im always fearful that the Eagles game FITZ will show up.  Lets beat REX next week.

The thing with the Eagles game wasn't all Fitz.. Ivory was out and Powell wasn't 100 % we had 47 yds rushing and 13 of that was Fitz.. The ST's gave up the Sproles TD and Marshall gave up a lateral to the Eagles.. Yes Fitz had 3 picks with his 2 tds but we lost by 7 so he wasn't the only one to blame for the loss.. The D gave up 123 rushing yds but in every other category the Jets had the edge.. 

Actually I haven't mentioned Geno in months.  You on the other hand can't write a post without saying something about Geno.  Here's a clue.  Saying Fitz is better than Geno then saying Geno sucks doesn't help Fitz.  Why can't you just talk about how well Fitz has been playing?  I get it, you read my post above and realized your the kind of miserable fan I was talking about. 

In the past 3 days, you have quoted me and have written posts dedicated to proclaiming that Geno played well enough to win the Raiders game..a game which we lost by 14 points.

Given that, if I were you, I probably wouldn't lead a post with "Actually, I haven't mentioned Geno in months." 

When I say "best" I don't mean all-time, career.

I mean single-season REGULAR season in this context, obviously.

And yes, Fitz (barring a meltdown in Buffalo) WILL be better than both O'Brian and Testeverte.

It is reasonably possible he will be the clear-cut best single-season Jets QB of all-time.

Now, he'd have to do the same for another 3-5 years to surpass O'Brian all-time, and he'd have to win a Super Bowl in addition to even be close to Namath.

But single season, he has a realistic chance to surpass them all.

Who on earth wouldn't have signed up for THAT before opening day! :)

Everyone would've signed up for it. But not everyone can admit it.

If you're only looking at Namath through the prism of comparing his numbers then to QB numbers now, it's easy to come to that conclusion.

But playing in an era when basically every throw were deep passes with high risk/reward, and CB's were allowed to mug receivers, those conclusions regarding Namath are much different.  He was an elite QB in the NFL for the majority of his career.  Compare his numbers to his peers during those years if you'd like.

The fact that the first QB to ever throw for 4,000 yards was Namath shows how special he was in a different era when the offense didn't wear red jerseys before getting the ball. The irony is we had the first 4,000 yard passer and never had one since! Let's hope that changes this week! 276 yards to go!

I hope I was clear that by "greatest" I was discussing single-season, NOT career.

There is no argument to be made for Fitz as the best ever Jets QB career-wise, obviously.

But I think there IS a reasonable argument to make, depending on this forthcoming game vs. Buffalo, that Fitz may in fact be the greatest single-season QB in Jets History.

What do you mean "post Namath", his career overall is just as meh, with just as many glaring weaknesses and failings, as Kenny O, Vinny T or Chad P.

Namath escapes the "History of Bad Jets QB's" based on one thing and one one thing only, he won the Super Bowl.

Jets lose SBIII, Namath is remembered the same as any other also ran, and is not (IMO) an NFL HOF QB.

And you're right, our QB history is worse than alot of other teams, with only a few, often brief, brights spots (Namath, Kenny O, recycled Vinny, Chad pre-injury, now Fitz this year).

Still, when we have a year that surpasses our expectations, and even our most guarded hopes, from the QB position, nothing wrong with reveling in that surprise, right? 

so maybe instead of jumping all over people, calling them self loathing etc you should have read what was being responded to.  

Im not denying he has had a great year.  And numbers wise, the second best can be argued.

But I responded to someone who said he was the second best Jets QB ever.  Not season, best QB ever.  I brought up Vinny, I think 80 brought up KO.  

this thread is cringe worthy on many levels.

Fitz was about to get benched a month and a half ago before running into a bunch of the worst passing D's in the league and a Pats team with half their roster out.  Not sure why people can't be happy without the extreme hyperbole and silly declarations. 

He's making smart decisions, playing good football, and passing to a top WR combo in the NFL.  That's what's happening..  he didn't turn into Johnny Unitas in early Nov.

If the WR's were still Stephen Hill, Clyde Gates, Chaz Schillens etc we would most certainly NOT be talking about backing up the brinks truck for Ryan Fitzpatrick.  Normally these threads don't bother me but the mass idolization that's going on yesterday and today is just too much. 

Yeah, but he didn't get benched, because the alternative was the absolutely dreadful loser, Geno Smith.

And now here we are. Say bye bye, Geno...bye bye. 

so maybe instead of jumping all over people, calling them self loathing etc you should have read what was being responded to.  

Im not denying he has had a great year.  And numbers wise, the second best can be argued.

But I responded to someone who said he was the second best Jets QB ever.  Not season, best QB ever.  I brought up Vinny, I think 80 brought up KO.  

I agree you can't rate Fitz on just this year but Vinny really had just 1 great year for the Jets.. In 2000 he had 21 td's and 25 picks and in 2001 15 tds and 14 picks.. After that he never played another full season for the Jets. Kenny had 2 good seasons with 25-8 and 25-20 the rest were meh..Kenny had just 3 seasons when he played 16 games in his career.. Favre had 17..LOL

incapable?  I'm enjoying Fitz and everything he's giving us.  That doesn't make him better than KO, Vinny or Chad.   So what?  

I can't compliment Fitz?  Sure WF, that's what I would take away from what I wrote.  What is it with you? FB

kenny obrien had got to be one of the most overrated jets players ever. He was mediocre

Testaverde was mostly mediocre during his career also. 

Chad was an egg

kenny obrien had got to be one of the most overrated jets players ever. He was mediocre

Testaverde was mostly mediocre during his career also. 

Chad was an egg

medicore at the qb position is good enough for ring of honor with this team :(

medicore at the qb position is good enough for ring of honor with this team :(

obrien was my first jets qb....so there is a nostalgia attached to him. But reality is that he is the qb we should not have taken. His biggest contribution to the jets was being the qb we should have taken marino instead of

party pooper

Maybe..  like I said normally I ignore it but yesterdays hi-fiving, chest thumping, and silly claims of victory by the Fitz fellators was more irritating than usual.

They absolutely kill Rex, Sanchez, and every other person associated with the winningest teams we've seen in 46 years but are fawning over a jag QB who stepped it up the last month and is playing well. 

And now the talk about him being the best Jet QB ever or extending him at 14 mil per etc etc..  I mean callllmmm down.

obrien was my first jets qb....so there is a nostalgia attached to him. But reality is that he is the qb we should not have taken. His biggest contribution to the jets was being the qb we should have taken marino instead of

He won just as many Superbowls as Marino

During the 1983 draft I was in a Bar with friends and the whole place was chanting Marino when our pick came up..We couldn't believe he fell to us so you can imagine what happened when we heard the name Kenny O..:(

In the past 3 days, you have quoted me and have written posts dedicated to proclaiming that Geno played well enough to win the Raiders game..a game which we lost by 14 points.

Given that, if I were you, I probably wouldn't lead a post with "Actually, I haven't mentioned Geno in months." 

No sh*t.  Thats a game being discussed played 6 weeks or so ago.  

Guess you have a hard time discriminating between discussing an actual game and bringing Geno up, as in the clown who expects me for some reason to want Geno in a game today.

But hey, jump in and screw up

During the 1983 draft I was in a Bar with friends and the whole place was chanting Marino when our pick came up..We couldn't believe he fell to us so you can imagine what happened when we heard the name Kenny O..:(

Remember he was in Studio 54 with Gastinea a year later before he was starter. Got in a little trouble.

I agree you can't rate Fitz on just this year but Vinny really had just 1 great year for the Jets.. In 2000 he had 21 td's and 25 picks and in 2001 15 tds and 14 picks.. After that he never played another full season for the Jets. Kenny had 2 good seasons with 25-8 and 25-20 the rest were meh..Kenny had just 3 seasons when he played 16 games in his career.. Favre had 17..LOL

If we're going strictly by numbers.  I said Jet career.  Who's a better QB is not just reading the stat sheet of a QB.  And its hard to make any case ranking anyone who hasn't played a complete season.  Especially when the Jet list of QBs is less than impressive .  

But Vinny could make any throw, long, short, sideline, deep and was pretty good for his time here.

Irony is that the pick wasnt't all that bad.  Considering where he played, how unknown he was to most, he had a better career than a lot of QBs taken top 5.

His biggest problem is he wasn't Marino.  If Marino becomes the QB most were afraid he would become at the time of the draft, the KO pick looks a lot better 

I would rate Kenny O as better than either Vinny or Fitz but that is just me.

Yes we should re-up Fitz but not if the terms for such a deal will impede the ability of Bryce Petty to take the job once/if he is ready.

The Catch-22 here is that given the season he is currently enjoying there are probably a number of teams out there who might be willing to roll the dice on a longer term deal and at a price which may not work for us.  I know, I know, it is a good problem to have but it could still be a problem nonetheless.

No sh*t.  Thats a game being discussed played 6 weeks or so ago.  

Guess you have a hard time discriminating between discussing an actual game and bringing Geno up, as in the clown who expects me for some reason to want Geno in a game today.

But hey, jump in and screw up

You said "Actually I haven't mentioned Geno in months". That is factually incorrect. I'm simply pointing it out. Just as I did when you quoted me 3 days ago to incorrectly proclaim that Geno (see, you have mentioned him!) played well enough to win a game in which the Jets lost by 14 points. 

If it upsets you that someone points out when you're wrong, maybe try not being wrong so often. 

I think my memory of Kenny O is slanted by one of the greatest offensive games I've ever seen.  The 51-45 barn-burner in Miami was just insanity.  And objectively, removing that game from the discussion leaves KO as at best a slightly above average QB. 

But 479 yards, 4 TDs and a last second heave to Walker to tie it at the end of regulation plus another to win it in OT is the stuff great memories are made of.

BTW, Walker caught all four of those TDs.

They absolutely kill Rex, Sanchez, and every other person associated with the winningest teams we've seen in 46 years but are fawning over a jag QB who stepped it up the last month and is playing well.

If Sanchez and Rex went on to great success elsewhere you'd have a point.  But Sanchez was dreadful in 2011 and 2012 with us (and really wasn't much better the 2 prior years despite your repeated claims that he was) and has been a backup ever since.  Rex has been awful the last 5 years of coaching, even after taking over the Buffalo job with a talented roster.  The majority of the evidence says both suck, and nothing has changed for either of them.  We won in 2009 and 2010 because we spent big, had a tremendous offensive line, and Rex's schemes took the league by storm.  Once he and Sanchez were figured out, they were terrible.  That's why we don't hold your heroes in high regard anymore.  You're still holding onto something that doesn't exist.  If they were truly any good, they would have made the necessary adjustments.  We're all tired of the excuses you keep trotting about those guys, so please don't litter yet another thread with those either.  Just say it with me:  Rex and Sanchez suck, always pretty much sucked, and aren't Jets anymore.  Time to move on. 

Meanwhile, it is perfectly natural that when a new HC and QB (and the GM making the personnel decisions) take the reins of a team with a true 4-12 roster and turn it into a 10-5 team, we're going to fawn over all of them.  And rightfully so. 

If Sanchez and Rex went on to great success elsewhere you'd have a point.  But Sanchez was dreadful in 2011 and 2012 with us (and really wasn't much better the 2 prior years despite your repeated claims that he was) and has been a backup ever since.  Rex has been awful the last 5 years of coaching, even after taking over the Buffalo job with a talented roster.  The majority of the evidence says both suck, and nothing has changed for either of them.  We won in 2009 and 2010 because we spent big, had a tremendous offensive line, and Rex's schemes took the league by storm.  Once he and Sanchez were figured out, they were terrible.  That's why we don't hold your heroes in high regard anymore.  You're still holding onto something that doesn't exist.  If they were truly any good, they would have made the necessary adjustments.  We're all tired of the excuses you keep trotting about those guys, so please don't litter yet another thread with those either.  Just say it with me:  Rex and Sanchez suck, always pretty much sucked, and aren't Jets anymore.  Time to move on. 

Meanwhile, it is perfectly natural that when a new HC and QB (and the GM making the personnel decisions) take the reins of a team with a true 4-12 roster and turn it into a 10-5 team, we're going to fawn over all of them.  And rightfully so. 

WELL SAID!

Archived