NE Observations

KRL

Thoughts

- Strange things always happen when teams try to make the playoffs.
But who in the world thought Ryan Mallett would outplay Rapeisberger
and put destiny back in our hands?  This is a guy who overslept in
training camp and missed a plane in the regular season

- Thank you Slater!!!  I don't care what Belichick said, he screwed
up wanting to kick the ball off.  If Slater wasn't so good of a special
teams player he would've been cut already

- No celebrations, you have to be estatic with a "win and in" scenario.
But I'm glad NE was banged up, not having to face McCourty, Glassmendola
& Edleman helped

- Great play designs by Gailey, using motion to get Marshall & Decker "lost
in trash" so they could get open.  He also used a ton of 2 RB looks with
Ivory & Powell to get his best playmakers on the field

- Great job by the crowd you really heard them on tv

- Shocked how passive NE was at the end of the first half.  Two minutes on
the clock and they basically gave up

Good

- OLine had a good bounce back effort and was solid in both phases.  For
once Ninkovich didn't kill us with multiple sacks & tips

- Excellent adjustments to all the trick plays NE was running.  They even
ran the wildcat

- Appreciate the weekly "beastness" of Marshall & Decker.  It's amazing to
think just two years ago our starting WR's were Holmes & Hill

- Fitzpatrick continues his "1998 Testaverde" play.  I sure didn't see this
coming after his unimpreesive training camp

- Good to see Enunwa come up with another big day.  He still has to work on
his hands deep but he's giving us another legitimate option

- Powell continues his "Leon Washington" play.  Love the speed he provides 
over the plodding Stacy

- Thompkins was also very effective as a secondary option before he got hurt

- Got to give credit to Quigley and the punt coverage.  We were backed up
a couple of times and they "flipped" field position with excellent kicks

- Penalties

- Good DLine pressure particularly from Richardson, Williams, Mauldin &
Wilkerson

- Loved the businesslike responses by the team after the game.  No acting
like we accomplished anything or won the SB

Bad

- The Thompkins injury

- The strip sack for a TD

- Too many misses on deep throws.  We could've blown NE out if we were more
accurate

- Unfortunate we couldn't stop Brady/Gronk on their last drive to tie the
game

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

- OLine had a good bounce back effort and was solid in both phases.  For
once Ninkovich didn't kill us with multiple sacks & tips

Really?  Can't agree here.

While they came out strong, it seemed like Belichick attacked them aggressively starting in the second half and that was really the reason that the Pats got back in the game.  Back to back 3-and-outs, followed by another quickly stalling drive, all because of collapsing the offensive line.  The running game stalled and we couldn't chew clock and get first downs when we needed them.

In my opinion, I think the O-line is a serious weak link on this team, which will need to be addressed in the offseason.  Mind you, they're not awful, but they can be overpowered, and I think we saw it today, we saw it against Dallas, and we definitely saw it against Houston.  Fortunately, we only lost one of those games.

We thoroughly outplayed them. The game was far closer than it had any right to be. The missed deep balls, the disastrous fumble and whiffed recovery, some pretty questionable officiating - Stuff that just shouldn't have happened and I wouldn't think would happen again. 

Our deep passes are definitely a concern. I feel bad for Fitz because when he's hitting them they're being dropped, should have absolutely thrown some better passes though. Our WR's had their secondary on toast pretty much all day. I agree with EY that the O-line wasn't great but it certainly wasn't bad either. If it's a weakness, it's more to do with how strong the team is in pretty much every other area, the Patriots are strong up front and we kept them at bay for the most part, you're not going to totally dominate them. If you want to see a weak O-line, just look at the other team.

I know they have injuries but our defensive line ravaged them. Just went in dry. Mo was swatting away their guards like flies, it was hilarious. We actually got a bit conservative with the blitzing on their TD drive, not sure why as we were getting to Brady almost every time. That was the game I've been waiting to see from our line - Definitely want us to lock up all of those guys. Their short yardage runs never even stood a chance. I don't think people realise how well Brady played today, he did a phenomenal job of getting the ball away under pressure - twice Mo  was literally right in front of him as he got a 1st down. We made some very strange decisions with the coverage. Revis was completely taking Gronkowski away and we didn't stick with it - Was screaming at the TV when he motioned away from him on 4th down. Should have been following him everywhere.

It's very encouraging. We stand a chance against anyone right now. Still impossible to fully trust the team which could inexplicably do what they did against the Eagles and Raiders. I'd certainly fancy another shot at the Pats. Patriots fans might blame it all on the injuries but we could have won it in Foxboro too, had Marshall not played like he was tripping balls. 

Yes, the Pats were banged up....but the Jets were clearly the better team on the field today.  It was actually very enjoyable to watch a Jet team legitimately better than a Pats team.

This wasn't the case of the Jets having things go their way and winning a fluke...Jets beat THIS Pats team 8 out of 10 times.  With Edelman and Amendola, I don't know but today...this wasn't a fluke...Fact is the Pats were lucky this was even close.

- Unfortunate we couldn't stop Brady/Gronk on their last drive to tie the
game

Nobody despises Gronkowski more than me.  I loved that we shut him down for most of the game.  However, this catch on the drive you referred to was incredible. 

http://www.patriots.com/video/2015/12/27/highlight-rob-gronkowski-makes-huge-grab-26-yard-gain

Maybe not another TE in the game can make that catch and hang onto it with the shot he took.  The one over Cromartie earlier was pretty tough too.  I hate the guy, but he is a great football player.

Yes, the Pats were banged up....but the Jets were clearly the better team on the field today.  It was actually very enjoyable to watch a Jet team legitimately better than a Pats team.

This wasn't the case of the Jets having things go their way and winning a fluke...Jets beat THIS Pats team 8 out of 10 times.  With Edelman and Amendola, I don't know but today...this wasn't a fluke...Fact is the Pats were lucky this was even close.

huh??? Good teams usually stay in games?. Not to take shine away to what looks to be a playoff team in the jets, but they needed o.t. to beat them after leading all game. 

huh??? Good teams usually stay in games?. Not to take shine away to what looks to be a playoff team in the jets, but they needed o.t. to beat them after leading all game. 

I was referring to the talent on the field.  Games in the NFL are turned on a lot of factors and usually when the Pats lose there are mitigating factors that go against them.  Brady's talent typically overcomes most other teams talent levels - Making them the better team on the field.  Currently, the Jets are the better team...Again, 8 out of 10 times the Jets would beat this team.

Crazy to think had Marshall not randomly played like a stoned alcoholic in Foxboro we'd be playing for the division next week.

Best Jets team I think I've seen in my time as a fan. I genuinely wouldn't fear any teams if we do make it. 

agreed , we're the hottest team in the afc and totally under the radar....we can play with any of these teams.

was at the game today..  despite a lot of pats fans, the jets fans showed up and were loud. great job

Marshall's 2nd TD catch was incredible. Fitz threw the ball and it traveled about 20 yards before Marshall even turned around. The guys in our row were screaming at Brandon to turn around.. and then he makes an amazing catch

I love Ivory.. but he's dancing waaaay too much. Take the rock and run Chris..

Rookies Mauldin and Williams had very good games and are coming on at exactly the right time.  Mauldin has what, 4 or 5 sacks? If Bowles had started playing him more earlier he woul probably have 7 or 8.  Williams put good pressure on Brady all game and was a monster in the run game. 

agreed , we're the hottest team in the afc and totally under the radar....we can play with any of these teams.

I throw up in my mouth just saying this but technically, the Chiefs are the hottest team in the AFC with 9 straight wins.  I honestly cannot fathom how that is possible but it is true.

I was referring to the talent on the field.  Games in the NFL are turned on a lot of factors and usually when the Pats lose there are mitigating factors that go against them.  Brady's talent typically overcomes most other teams talent levels - Making them the better team on the field.  Currently, the Jets are the better team...Again, 8 out of 10 times the Jets would beat this team.

"currently" ? Meaning today only? You couldn't mean any other time? 

I throw up in my mouth just saying this but technically, the Chiefs are the hottest team in the AFC with 9 straight wins.  I honestly cannot fathom how that is possible but it is true.

yea good call your right..i forgot about them...but I think we can play with them also.

They started 1-5.

It's f*cking insane what's happening. 

I'd say Arrowhead would probably be the toughest place to go in the playoffs, for the Jets at least. Every team looks pretty vulnerable. Could be 3 of the 6 AFC teams with starting QB's injured or out. 

Also One Penalty against the Pats and the refs literally stopping the game so that the Pats could set up their defense was OUTRAGEOUS IMO......

On Brady's TD to tie it, they showed an angle from the Jets' pov and one of the Pats' players had his hands in Mauldin's face and was actually grabbing his facemask.  No penalty of course.

They started 1-5.

It's f*cking insane what's happening. 

I'd say Arrowhead would probably be the toughest place to go in the playoffs, for the Jets at least. Every team looks pretty vulnerable. Could be 3 of the 6 AFC teams with starting QB's injured or out. 

And more confusing is they started this run roughly around when they lost their best player in Jamaal Charles.  It's the greatest mystery in sports right now.  But yeah, they don't really scare me.  Then again, that's the definition of 'under the radar'...

Thoughts

- Strange things always happen when teams try to make the playoffs.
But who in the world thought Ryan Mallett would outplay Rapeisberger
and put destiny back in our hands?  This is a guy who overslept in
training camp and missed a plane in the regular season

- Thank you Slater!!!  I don't care what Belichick said, he screwed
up wanting to kick the ball off.  If Slater wasn't so good of a special
teams player he would've been cut already

- No celebrations, you have to be estatic with a "win and in" scenario.
But I'm glad NE was banged up, not having to face McCourty, Glassmendola
& Edleman helped

- Great play designs by Gailey, using motion to get Marshall & Decker "lost
in trash" so they could get open.  He also used a ton of 2 RB looks with
Ivory & Powell to get his best playmakers on the field

- Great job by the crowd you really heard them on tv

- Shocked how passive NE was at the end of the first half.  Two minutes on
the clock and they basically gave up

These two points are related IMO.  It is exactly why I believe the Patriots intentionally (and understandably) wanted to kick off in the OT.  They had zero confidence in their ability to move the ball against this Jets defense, let alone to score a winning TD in overtime.  Their only hope to win was to stop the Jets on D and then win with a long FG. 

"currently" ? Meaning today only? You couldn't mean any other time? 

The game in Foxboro could have gone either way. If Marshall doesn't have a case of the dropsies, we probably win.  Jets can play with the Pats; deal with it. 

Archived