In defense of Bellichick

JoJoTownsell1

Honestly, I don't mind the decision (if it really was his decision and not a flub by Slater). If you watched the game, and everyone here did, the Pats failed to register a TD without the benefit of a fumble by Fitz and 2 4th down conversions on the last drive.  So basically, Bill watched a game in which his offense couldn't drive the length of the field and score a TD. So he felt that it was better to force Fitz to go 80 yards. Because even if Fitz ges 60 yards and the Jets settle for a FG, Brady now has 4 downs to get a 1st until he is in FG range for Gostkowski. 

I know it's Brady, but Brady wasn't Brady today because he had no Oline and no WRs. That wasn't going to magically change in OT. Obviously, the decision looks awful now, but if the Jets had gone 3 and out and Quigly pulls a Quigly, the Pats are practically in FG already with the world's best FG kicker. The only mitigating factor was that the Pats defense is also in bad shape and they were facing Fitzmagic.

Dead on JoJo

The Pats O converted 1 - 3rd down out of 10 the whole game. Gronk had 4 catches the whole game and 2 came on the last NE drive.

It was pure arrogance. 

He should have learned from Villain The Foe. You just don't underestimate the beard.

Did someone call me? Must have because I seen my fans flock to "thumbs up" everytime my name is introduced into the convo lol. 

Well, good thing Fitz got great the moment he cut that beard. :-)

Edited by villain_the_foe
  • Upvote 1

Honestly, I don't mind the decision (if it really was his decision and not a flub by Slater). If you watched the game, and everyone here did, the Pats failed to register a TD without the benefit of a fumble by Fitz and 2 4th down conversions on the last drive.  So basically, Bill watched a game in which his offense couldn't drive the length of the field and score a TD. So he felt that it was better to force Fitz to go 80 yards. Because even if Fitz ges 60 yards and the Jets settle for a FG, Brady now has 4 downs to get a 1st until he is in FG range for Gostkowski. 

I know it's Brady, but Brady wasn't Brady today because he had no Oline and no WRs. That wasn't going to magically change in OT. Obviously, the decision looks awful now, but if the Jets had gone 3 and out and Quigly pulls a Quigly, the Pats are practically in FG already with the world's best FG kicker. The only mitigating factor was that the Pats defense is also in bad shape and they were facing Fitzmagic.

I agree.... you have Brady, the JETS were struggling in the end a bit.   You can hold them to a FG  or more than likely you get good field position on a punt.

Most sports pundits on ESPN do not fault BB. They CREDIT the NY FUKKIN JETS!!!!!   Yeah baby!!!!!

• Upvote 1

guy sure seems better than the groh, herm, mangini, rex murderer's row to me

Without Tom Brady he is a pedestrian HC. He works as hard as any coach in the NFL, but he carries an arrogance that opponents love to shove up his tookus. He made a poor decision and it backfired. Jets win, and I couldn't be happier right now. The last thing the Jets need to do is rest on these laurels because it will hurt bad to lose in Buffalo to the jacka$$ the team rightfully sent packing. Enjoy it for a day Jets then get to work.

Dead on JoJo

The Pats O converted 1 - 3rd down out of 10 the whole game. Gronk had 4 catches the whole game and 2 came on the last NE drive.

It must stick in your craw to know that your 'genius' HC done f-ed up. Pats era is dwindling down Reign. Get used to seeing the Jets walking off the field in victory.

Without Tom Brady he is a pedestrian HC. He works as hard as any coach in the NFL, but he carries an arrogance that opponents love to shove up his tookus. He made a poor decision and it backfired. Jets win, and I couldn't be happier right now. The last thing the Jets need to do is rest on these laurels because it will hurt bad to lose in Buffalo to the jacka$$ the team rightfully sent packing. Enjoy it for a day Jets then get to work.

Odds are we will be seeing them again soon. Going 11-5 with cassel was pretty impressive but there is no doubt having Brady helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Without Tom Brady he is a pedestrian HC. He works as hard as any coach in the NFL, but he carries an arrogance that opponents love to shove up his tookus. He made a poor decision and it backfired. Jets win, and I couldn't be happier right now. The last thing the Jets need to do is rest on these laurels because it will hurt bad to lose in Buffalo to the jacka$$ the team rightfully sent packing. Enjoy it for a day Jets then get to worK

Belichck won 11 games without Brady a few years ago.  I root against the guy too but I have to respect him.  He's  a legendary HC. 

It must stick in your craw to know that your 'genius' HC done f-ed up. Pats era is dwindling down Reign. Get used to seeing the Jets walking off the field in victory.

Not really. Pats are already have the bye and didn't need the game.

IF the Jets and Pats face off again this season it will be different.

Belichck won 11 games without Brady a few years ago.  I root against the guy too but I have to respect him.  He's  a legendary HC. 

He's always had very good OC's. I give him credit for Josh McDaniels who runs very creative schemes. Nobody runs better illegal picks than the Pats.

I'll also give "Props" to Goodell for protecting the Pats during the "Video-Gate" scandal by destroying the tapes.

• Upvote 1

The NE defense fell apart in OT beginning with Richards the 3rd string Safety getting hurt.

The Jets made the plays to win, enjoy today, but don't go off the deep end like the Jets are going to roll over the Pats if they meet again.

The Patriots won both coin flips yesterday. And as this article shows in Nov. they had won their last 19 out of 25. http://nesn.com/2015/11/numbers-bill-belichick-patriots-win-pregame-coin-flip-at-impossible-rate/ One big part of their success is deferring, scoring before the half, then scoring on their first possession of the second half which puts them in a safe lead. Often they are not blowing teams out until this occuirs. So we know that nobody trusts Belichick. And I can say that as far as coin flips. When the standard percentage of success is supposed to be 50% how come they always win. Substituting their own coin somehow by slight of hand? I wouldn't put it past him. 

Edited by Rangers9

He managed to insult both of us!!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year by the way

Think how I felt.  The Patriots lost.  Then I had to spend the evening at my wife's friends house listening to her and her parents thick LI accents.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year's to you and yours.

• Upvote 1

3 things can happen when you decide to kick off after winning the coin toss....

1.  force the other team to punt and your offense comes back and wins with a field goal.   

2.  the  other team scores a field goal and your offense must come back and score a touchdown.

3.  the other team scores a touchdown and you go home.

Belichick was betting against option number 3.   If option number 1 is forced,  you have a great chance of winning with Brady and  Gostkowski.

i don't think it was as terrible decision given the personnel available to both teams. 

Disclaimer...I am a 68 years old Jets fan and  was  22 years old when the Jets won their only SB.  All my friends were Giant fans and that was my single greatest day as a sports fan.  I am not a Belichick apologist. 

• Upvote 1