ESPN is saying the Jets are the team no one wants to face in the playoffs

joewilly12

Nice to see us getting some props.

I for one love us being a professional team for a change.  We aren't beating ourselves and we are a tough tough out.  The only game I thought we were "handled" this year was the Oakland game, every other game we had a realistic chance of winning and that is not something that I can say going back to the 1998 season.

Also folks have to be realistic in the last year, including this year, the Jets have only broken the 10 or more win mark 5 times in the last 25 years. 

To act like this team hasn't been good for a first year HC, journeyman QB, new OC, new defense, significant injuries throughout the season and the utter distractions during the season isn't being fair.  Few of us out here were saying that this Jets team was going to win 10 or more games.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Doesn't it seem like every new HC we get has a great first year?  Here's our last five before Bowles.

Ryan - 9-7
Mangini - 10-6
Edwards - 10-6
Groh - 9-7
Parcells - 9-7

All had winning records and Bowles makes it six in a row.  What happens after that isn't always so pretty though.

Not according to the patsie* fans, remember? They let us win because they would rather play us in the play-offs then Pitt.

Love their train of thought on this. Most of the time when a team tries to throw a game they don't do it by calling flea flickers and double reverses, continuously going for it on 4th down, or keeping their golden boy QB in the game to get constantly chased around by 300 lb. defensive linemen (when they would have been completely justified in sitting him on the bench). But what do I know, Bellichick is the genius here so I'm not going to question his game-throwing strategies. After all, it did work out in the end.

Before the Jets played the Patriots:

The jset haven't played anyone with a winning record.  Let's beat NE before we blah, blah, blah...

Jet beat NE:

NE was beat up.  Jets got luck on the coin toss. Lets beat Buffalo before we blah, blah, blah...

If (when) we beat Buffalo:

They are a losing team who packed it in early.  Let's win a playoff game before we blah, blah, blah...

If we then beat the Texans:

They are a bad team with only one good player. Let's beat a real team before we blah, blah, blah...

And on and on and on...

?since I can't give it a real one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think there is alot of truth to it.

If...and that is a big if the Jets take care of buisness in Buffalo look at what you have

Denver with the 30 minute man Brock Osweiler at QB

Cincy: If they get Dalton back then they become very dangerous. Probably the team with the most talented 53 man roster in the NFL. If Dalton is not ready and McCarron has to go, that could be a major problem

Houston: What are they on their 5th QB this year ?

KC: The other interesting team because I don't think alot of people know what to make of them. It is Andy Reid's best coaching job but considering the division I don't think they get alot of respect.

Then you have the Jets....Winners of 5 straight, a team that not only has beaten the Pats but could have beaten them twice. You have an offense that right now is probably the best offense we have seen since 98. A QB who is playing out of his mind, a WR corp that could very be one of the best in the NFL, a very solid defense, and most importantly they are probably the most healthy of all the teams.

If the Jets get in they can be a very dangerous team. Just take care of the Bills and Sunday and let's go.

the jets have played the last few games against some of the softest/most injured teams in the league. This buffalo game is going to be tough 

Well then it will make you happy to know the Bills are dealing with a ton of injuries too.  Most notably McCoy and Dareus.  Then, when we beat them to clinch a playoff spot, you'll get to say we beat another injured team!

Injuries happen in the NFL.  They're not a valid reason to explain why we're 10-5.  We're passing the eye test nearly every week these days.  Let the good times roll.

Doesn't it seem like every new HC we get has a great first year?  Here's our last five before Bowles.

Ryan - 9-7
Mangini - 10-6
Edwards - 10-6
Groh - 9-7
Parcells - 9-7

All had winning records and Bowles makes it six in a row.  What happens after that isn't always so pretty though.

Clearly it would have been preferable to have Bowles go 3-13!  :)

We don't know what the future holds for this regime.  All we have is the information currently in front of us.  But the big difference is that both our HC and GM were recommended by solid football people, not hires made by the whims of Woody Johnson or some search firm.  So far the early returns are strong. 

And I think both our GM and HC have the kind of demeanor you look for out of "CEO" types for a franchise.   The singular focus for both is making this team better today than it was yesterday, not celebrating all wins like they're a Super Bowl or bemoaning all losses like the end of the world.

No one said it was going to be easy, but the Bills defense is not good and Tyrod Taylor is not a good QB. The Jets should win this going away.

Must you be a killjoy all of the time? You're insufferable. The Jets beat the teams put in front of them the last five weeks.

No doubt the Jets are the better team.  The Jets are a very good team right now - no one should want to play them right now.  A very well rounded team - top 10 offense, top 10 defense (special are bad though)  Barring some bad luck and/or special teams giving the game away (and it could happen) the Jets should comfortably win this game.  Not by a blow out but this is a 7-10 point win.

No doubt the Jets are the better team.  The Jets are a very good team right now - no one should want to play them right now.  A very well rounded team - top 10 offense, top 10 defense (special are bad though)  Barring some bad luck and/or special teams giving the game away (and it could happen) the Jets should comfortably win this game.  Not by a blow out but this is a 7-10 point win.

Special teams are the only weak spot too bad we couldn't bring in Westhoff to consult Bobby April sucks 

Honestly, I have thought about this. 

We are already IN the playoffs. We have been in playoff mode for the last couple of weeks. Buffalo can pretend it's a Super Bowl, but for us, it's a playoff game and they knew that it would be weeks ago. We knew we had to win out to have a chance of making the playoffs. That sense of urgency and determination to win no matter what has brought the best out of this team. We won some huge games and are now playing our best football of the season. the offense is unstoppable. 

This really reminds me of the 2007 giants. Rode a winning streak into the playoffs and won 3 straight road games to make the Super Bowl. Hot QB playing out of his mind with the game on the line. All our good players are healthy. It's possible. Power rankings go out the window now, it's all about who gets hot at the right time. Why not us?

I'm gonna look up the odds on us to make the Super Bowl. I believe. 

Before the Jets played the Patriots:

The jset haven't played anyone with a winning record.  Let's beat NE before we blah, blah, blah...

Jet beat NE:

NE was beat up.  Jets got luck on the coin toss. Lets beat Buffalo before we blah, blah, blah...

If (when) we beat Buffalo:

They are a losing team who packed it in early.  Let's win a playoff game before we blah, blah, blah...

If we then beat the Texans:

They are a bad team with only one good player. Let's beat a real team before we blah, blah, blah...

And on and on and on...

When we win super bowl "yeah Fitz maybe can win you a super bowl or two but isn't the long term answer we need to find a QB."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

how about the jets actually do something before we run our mouths. I'm sick of the talk, just shut up and win the game 

Like win 5 in a row? Beat the Patriots? Win double digits coming off a 4 win Season? 

Oh, and what talk? What the **** are you talking about? This is a message board, if you don't want "talk", log off then, genius....

Actually, kind of ironic coming from a guy calling himself " CAN'T WAIT"....

We are already IN the playoffs. We have been in playoff mode for the last couple of weeks. Buffalo can pretend it's a Super Bowl, but for us, it's a playoff game and they knew that it would be weeks ago. We knew we had to win out to have a chance of making the playoffs. That sense of urgency and determination to win no matter what has brought the best out of this team. We won some huge games and are now playing our best football of the season. the offense is unstoppable. 

This really reminds me of the 2007 giants. Rode a winning streak into the playoffs and won 3 straight road games to make the Super Bowl. Hot QB playing out of his mind with the game on the line. All our good players are healthy. It's possible. Power rankings go out the window now, it's all about who gets hot at the right time. Why not us?

I'm gonna look up the odds on us to make the Super Bowl. I believe. 

Those thoughts keep creeping in my head too.

Was joking today with a Giants fan friend today who told me that this was by far the worst year he's ever witnessed for them. Not because of their record, but because of the way they lose. His comment was "at least in the 4-12 years you knew they would suck". My reply? Screw off. You just described virtually every Jets season of the past 40 years. We continued on that the Giants season was Jets like, and maybe this a reversal of roles, and this Jets team is like those last 2 Giants ones that were ok in the regular season and got good late. 

To be honest though, I can't help but look at a game like yesterday and wonder if they can really pull it off. What I mean by that is that they seem to not really be able to assert themselves fully yet. Yesterday should have been a blowout, much like the Giants game, but it took overtime and a couple of late breaks. Sorry, but if we end up playing the Pats, dominate the ball but can't bury them, we will lose on the road. I've completely given up on those long throws. As soon as a ball goes up in the air longer than 10-15 yards, I immediately think "what a waste of a down". Not only because we never seem to complete them, but also because we seem to have such a high percentage on those 10-15 yard throws. Stick with what works. But man oh man, if we could somehow figure those out, they could be a buzz saw in January. 

Like win 5 in a row? Beat the Patriots? Win double digits coming off a 4 win Season? 

Oh, and what talk? What the **** are you talking about? This is a message board, if you don't want "talk", log off then, genius....

Actually, kind of ironic coming from a guy calling himself " CAN'T WAIT"....

how about we beat buffalo and make the playoffs before we start talking about how "dangerous" we are lol 

I understand why, with the Jets history, people would be nervous about this Bills game... But honestly, they're a losing team who is half in the bag. They've lost 4 of their last 6. We're red hot -- and we owe them one. I think we're going to blow them out.

How about we beat them "once" this year  :rolleyes:

Was joking today with a Giants fan friend today who told me that this was by far the worst year he's ever witnessed for them. Not because of their record, but because of the way they lose. His comment was "at least in the 4-12 years you knew they would suck". My reply? Screw off. You just described virtually every Jets season of the past 40 years. We continued on that the Giants season was Jets like, and maybe this a reversal of roles, and this Jets team is like those last 2 Giants ones that were ok in the regular season and got good late. 

To be honest though, I can't help but look at a game like yesterday and wonder if they can really pull it off. What I mean by that is that they seem to not really be able to assert themselves fully yet. Yesterday should have been a blowout, much like the Giants game, but it took overtime and a couple of late breaks. Sorry, but if we end up playing the Pats, dominate the ball but can't bury them, we will lose on the road. I've completely given up on those long throws. As soon as a ball goes up in the air longer than 10-15 yards, I immediately think "what a waste of a down". Not only because we never seem to complete them, but also because we seem to have such a high percentage on those 10-15 yard throws. Stick with what works. But man oh man, if we could somehow figure those out, they could be a buzz saw in January. 

you're absolutely right, yesterday should have been a blowout from the start... Those two deep throws were easy TD's but that's the limitations of a QB like fitz, he's great in the short game but we can't take advantage when we have a man beat deep

I watched Neion Deion say something similar, but then go on to list all of the teams that can/can't win the super bowl.  Basically, the NFC East/AFC South can't win.  Otherwise, you are scaaaaary.

I don't know about you, but I was embarrassed.

I wasn't embarrassed; I was pissed. 

Jets fans are forged in the fires of Hell. No one can handle losing like we can. Fans of other teams crack after one year of disaster. If the ship is sinking, I am not following the rats. I am following the guy from steerage wearing a Sanchez jersey.

how about we beat buffalo and make the playoffs before we start talking about how "dangerous" we are lol 

How about you enjoy the season your way and let others do the same thing ya freaking wet nurse

Yep.  It's been a playoff game every week for the last 5.  We've needed each and every one of these wins to put us in this position.  This week will be no different when it comes to our approach.  Rex can treat it like a playoff game all he wants.  Doesn't mean his team will match that energy level. 

Jets fans are forged in the fires of Hell. No one can handle losing like we can. Fans of other teams crack after one year of disaster. If the ship is sinking, I am not following the rats. I am following the guy from steerage wearing a Sanchez jersey.

How about you enjoy the season your way and let others do the same thing ya freaking wet nurse

You just saw Titanic again I presume?? ;)

you're absolutely right, yesterday should have been a blowout from the start... Those two deep throws were easy TD's but that's the limitations of a QB like fitz, he's great in the short game but we can't take advantage when we have a man beat deep

It's not just the deep balls that they miss on that worry me. This team seems to get away from its strengths offensively when they get a lead. Way I saw it, those critical 3 and outs in the 4th quarter that allowed the Pats to get back into the game we far more a result of play calling than anything the Pats were doing on defense. Until that point, they were moving the ball almost at will. Then:

On a 3rd and 7, 2 yard throw to Ivory. Nothing drives me more nuts. With our receivers, no throw should be short of the sticks on 3rd down, and Powell should be in there, not Ivory

Next drive, a wasted long ball on 2nd down. Don't need home runs at that point in the game. Singles would have won it.

Next drive, another long ball. Enunwa drops it. Despite the fact that it should've been a TD, I didn't like the call - low percentage play in a time where you just needed a first down or two to win the game.

I believe the Jets will be so focused to win Sunday that the momentum of that game will propel them to great things in the playoffs. Hopefully a long playoff run is in the works for this team. They have all the makings of that to happen. Just take care of business on Sunday vs Rexy and the Bills. Who knows the Jets could go all the way to the Super Bowl momentum took the Giants all the way to Super Bowls. Why Not the Jets? We will see

Archived