Our Patriot Players

JetBlue

I mean former Patriots lol.  Kenbrell Thompkins has been a revelation and yesterday there was actually a Stevan Ridley sighting and he didn't look to bad.  They both provide real quality depth and make our offence that much more dangerous.   Mac has really done a great job with this roster both before and during the season.  If he is not the Executive of the Year than no one is.  

On a side note, It is amazing to me how Thompkins just came in moved right past Kerley on the depth chart; talk about falling out of favor. 

• Upvote 1

I mean former Patriots lol.  Kenbrell Thompkins has been a revelation and yesterday there was actually a Stevan Ridley sighting and he didn't look to bad.  They both provide real quality depth and make our offence that much more dangerous.   Mac has really done a great job with this roster both before and during the season.  If he is not the Executive of the Year than no one is.  

On a side note, It is amazing to me how Thompkins just came in moved right past Kerley on the depth chart; talk about falling out of favor. 

No shock if Kerley is gone next season this regime just don't like him..

• Upvote 1

Didn't Kerley get time in the Raiders game? Maybe he and Fitz don't work well together. It is strange though, he's always been a serviceable player.

Now he's been put behind Devin Smith (IR), Enunwa, Owusu (gone), and Thompkins. Damn. 

Edited by Jet_Engine1

Theres something going on there, youre right, even when they need him, anyone, he stays glued to the bench

Yeah, he doesn't fit into the offense; he is slot and they like to move people in and out of the slot; we need large bodies who can block, break tackles, and provide a big target for fitz to throw to.  It is a testament to Macc that there is enough depth at WR that Kerely doesn't get more reps.

• Upvote 1

His contract isn't really cut friendly for another year or two. Problem is he is limited to the slot and they like Decker in the slot. If something were to happen to him or Marshall, the Jets would need Kerley big time. 

IDK about that.  They save $1,300,000 on a player they clearly don't like, except to fair catch punts.  I'd bet he's gone.  I actually like the guy

• Upvote 1

Wonder what the Kerley mystery is.

Don't think there is really a mystery.    Kerley isn't very effective outside.  He is a pretty good slot receiver.  Decker has been playing in the slot, and doing an excellent job.  Gailey clearly likes tall WR's.

Kerley, who I like, is odd man out.  I suspect he'll be cut next year, but some one will pick him up who likes shifty smaller receivers.  He'll be a star on the Pats :D

• Upvote 1

His contract isn't really cut friendly for another year or two. Problem is he is limited to the slot and they like Decker in the slot. If something were to happen to him or Marshall, the Jets would need Kerley big time. 

The NFL has a soft cap, where unused money can be used next year, so they save his $2.5M salary by not paying it to him. They won't play him on offense so he's clearly getting cut. No one pays a player a $2.5M salary to do little more than fair catch punts or be the team's fallback plan to a fallback plan to lining up in the slot. They're dumping him. 

If you're talking purely about clearing 2016 space as though Kerley's contract existed in a vacuum, then for 2016 they can clear his full $2.5M salary by designating him a June 1 cut (or by literally cutting him after June 1). 

They save what they don't pay him. 

It takes some players more than others to get adjusted to the way the nfl flows. Thompkins may be a perfect example of someone who was thrown to the trash heap too early and can be a very valuable 3rd passing option on our team.

Next year I can easily see our wr corps being Marshall, Decker, Thompkins, Smith, Enunwa, Kerley and whoever else we draft pick up etc.

It takes some players more than others to get adjusted to the way the nfl flows. Thompkins may be a perfect example of someone who was thrown to the trash heap too early and can be a very valuable 3rd passing option on our team.

Next year I can easily see our wr corps being Marshall, Decker, Thompkins, Smith, Enunwa, Kerley and whoever else we draft pick up etc.

I don't think so.  I think Thompkins is what he is.  He is a fringe player that doesn't play specials and is not particularly physically imposing.  He is not young, and not really developing.  He is a decent stop gap, that won't kill you if he has to see the field, but I am sure they will be looking to replace him with players with more speed and special teams ability.