Glad we didn't wait for Quinn!

32EBoozer

I can't believe how poorly the Falcons have played after that initial 6-0 run.

They have a beastly running game with Freeman and an all world WR in JJ.

I'm just not getting why the collapse?

Bowles fit exactly what we needed after the Rex years.

Just go out and get the job done. Everybody is accountable and every should keep their mouths SHUT!

You don't perform, you lose your reps(Coples)

The Falcons' problem on O is scoring, which is surprising with them being 21st in NFL (9th in Total Offense).  

They are middling on D, being 15th in Total D and 14th is Scoring D, which is an improvement from last year when they had the worst Total Defense and were 27th in scoring.

It is hard to pinpoint what's Quinn's problem is in Atlanta (they're already rumblings that there might be a housecleaning, including him, this offseason).  But beating the Panthers might give him more life.  Also, there is talk that the coaches are complaining about a "talent deficiency on the roster."

But that was the rub on Quinn last year--he can only coach talent, while Bowles can do more with less.

Strange timing for this thread.  They are on a two game win streak and just beat the undefeated Panthers.  Did you just wait until it was impossible for Quinn to finish with a better record than Bowles?  They lost to the Colts, but beat the Texans and Eagles. 

*Also, I thought this was going to be a Brady Quinn thread which would be even stranger timing.

Strange timing for this thread.  They are on a two game win streak and just beat the undefeated Panthers.  Did you just wait until it was impossible for Quinn to finish with a better record than Bowles?  They lost to the Colts, but beat the Texans and Eagles. 

*Also, I thought this was going to be a Brady Quinn thread which would be even stranger timing.

Nah! I was just looking at all the playoff scenarios, saw the Falcons and realized how happy I am with Bowles. Not just with our being in contention, but how he handles himself.

He's made some mistakes but keeps learning from them.

I am happy with Bowels, but Quinns biggest problem is a lack of talent; Bowels has done great things, but Macc started the process by managing the roster.

They just beat up on the Panthers. Are you saying they did that without any talent? 

They were 6-0, and now 2-0 but were 0-7 in the middle. That sounds more like a collapse to me than a lack of talent. 

The Jets went through a malaise in the middle of the season too, but we gutted out a couple of them, and came out of it sooner. That's the difference between us. 

They just beat up on the Panthers. Are you saying they did that without any talent? 

They were 6-0, and now 2-0 but were 0-7 in the middle. That sounds more like a collapse to me than a lack of talent. 

The Jets went through a malaise in the middle of the season too, but we gutted out a couple of them, and came out of it sooner. That's the difference between us. 

You nailed it! 

Quinn has done a remarkable job with that defense. Talk about a unit of JAG's. Trufant has skill but needs more time to develop. They should have held onto grimes as well.

Offense has been a different story, Shannahan is awful, Matt Ryan has looked like a shadow of his former self. I think they were hopping they could get one more year out of roddy white, and that just wasn't going to happen.

they never draft OL/DL, and it shows. Dimitrof/pioli needs to go.

Quinn has done a remarkable job with that defense. Talk about a unit of JAG's. Trufant has skill but needs more time to develop. They should have held onto grimes as well.

Offense has been a different story, Shannahan is awful, Matt Ryan has looked like a shadow of his former self. I think they were hopping they could get one more year out of roddy white, and that just wasn't going to happen.

Sa again?? Have you seen the stats on ESPN. Offrnse & Defense both middle of the pack.

Give/Take -6    25th in league and Red Zone scoring 16th.

As Parcells would say... they are what their record says they are..... .500 team

Sa again?? Have you seen the stats on ESPN. Offrnse & Defense both middle of the pack.

Give/Take -6    25th in league and Red Zone scoring 16th.

As Parcells would say... they are what their record says they are..... .500 team

did you see the stats last year? I'd say he's doing an admirable job.

Sorry, except for a few, I think the Jets have way more talent... not complaining about Bowels; can't ever look at any of this in a vacuum; 

Personally I would have preferred Quinn and still do.  Bowels reminds me of Mangini too much on the sidelines with that bland dumbfounded look minus the annoying gum chewing.  I like coaches with a little fire and ones that will chew out players when they deserve it.  I'm happy with the results this year but given the choice I would pick Quinn.

They were 5-0, not 6-0. Basically, what happened to them is that they finished their schedule against the NFC East by week 5.  Those were 4 of their 5 wins.

Brent Grimes tore his achilles week one in 2012 and never played another down for the Falcons.  He is like 2 contracts removed from Atlanta.

They were 5-0, not 6-0. Basically, what happened to them is that they finished their schedule against the NFC East by week 5.  Those were 4 of their 5 wins.

Brent Grimes tore his achilles week one in 2012 and never played another down for the Falcons.  He is like 2 contracts removed from Atlanta.

If I ever need Atlanta facts, I certainly know whom to speak to. Damn boy!

If I ever need Atlanta facts, I certainly know whom to speak to. Damn boy!

Ha.  I don't know much about them at all.  I just checked the schedule.  I know all about Grimes because I was looking up CBs that came back from Achilles injuries when Milliner went down.  Grimes and Leon Hall (twice) both came back successfully

Personally I would have preferred Quinn and still do.  Bowels reminds me of Mangini too much on the sidelines with that bland dumbfounded look minus the annoying gum chewing.  I like coaches with a little fire and ones that will chew out players when they deserve it.  I'm happy with the results this year but given the choice I would pick Quinn.

You mean like cutting a former first round pick (Coples) for underachieving?  Last time I checked Bellichek is as bland as a stone on the sidelines and he seems to have managed okay.  Mike Tomlin would never be considered a "Rah, Rah" guy.   After the Houston loss it has already been reported by various players that Bowles tore them a new Ass hole.  They haven't lost a game since.  Your statement makes absolutely no sense.  The only person dumbfounded is you. 

I like both Quinn and Bowles and believe they will both be successful head coaches.  I am very pleased with the job that Bowles has done with the Jets winning 10 games after only 4 last year.  I know we have some new and improved pieces but the coaching staff has done a good job integrating the new parts into both the offense and defense.  The team has improved week over week and has put themselves in place to make the playoffs with 11 wins.  I don't think anyone could have or should expected this big of a turnaround.

It's strange because Quinn and Shanahan seemed like a perfect combo. Quinn to fix the D and Shanahan, with his propensity to heavily lean on the # 1 WR, getting to work with Julio Jones (who in turn is having a monster year). Add in the emergence of Freeman (who I was dead wrong about, as Klecko can attest), and no reason this team should be missing the playoffs, but here they are.

Some tweaks in personnel, however, and they're a highly dangerous team next year. Vic Beasley has made some strides too...he had a huge strip sack on Cam on Sunday. His career will be interesting to watch, as he might well have been the guy we'd have taken if Williams didn't fall into our laps.

Quinn was nothing special in Seattle he ran a vanilla defense that happened to be good because he had talent to work with.

How has the Seattle D play after he left :-)

It is hard, as sometimes (often) a good/great coordinator doesn't convert into a good HC.  Sometimes it take more than a year for a safety, WR, QB, or HC to become effective.

You mean like cutting a former first round pick (Coples) for underachieving?  Last time I checked Bellichek is as bland as a stone on the sidelines and he seems to have managed okay.  Mike Tomlin would never be considered a "Rah, Rah" guy.   After the Houston loss it has already been reported by various players that Bowles tore them a new Ass hole.  They haven't lost a game since.  Your statement makes absolutely no sense.  The only person dumbfounded is you. 

Cutting Coples probably had as much to do with salary as anything.  Most new coaches cut the prior regimes dead wood in training camp.  I'm actually happy that Bowles tried to get what he could out of the pieces left.  Guys like Amaro, Kerley, and Milliner don't seem to be in their plans, but they didn't just dump them without finding anybody better.  FWIW, Mike Tomlin is not what I am looking for in a coach,

Cutting Coples probably had as much to do with salary as anything.  Most new coaches cut the prior regimes dead wood in training camp.  I'm actually happy that Bowles tried to get what he could out of the pieces left.  Guys like Amaro, Kerley, and Milliner don't seem to be in their plans, but they didn't just dump them without finding anybody better.  FWIW, Mike Tomlin is not what I am looking for in a coach,

Coples just didn't get the job done.  Personally I think he was playing out of position but once we drafted Williams there was no way he was getting back on the line.  Re. Tomlin, Pittsburgh seems to be doing fine with him...  With the exception of Bowles, he is probably better than anyone we have had since Parcells.

Bowles was the right choice, once he was in the building the jets didn't let him leave, good for them. 

I still think the Jets waited a year too long with firing Rex and should've hired Arians

This!

I like Bowles, but Arian's is passionate and a coach who works both sides of the ball.

I'm sure the talent aquired there has something to do with his success.... great job by the GM!

Would have loved to have grabbed the Honey Badger in the 3rd, although we would have needed to move up 4 spots.

How has the Seattle D play after he left :-)

It is hard, as sometimes (often) a good/great coordinator doesn't convert into a good HC.  Sometimes it take more than a year for a safety, WR, QB, or HC to become effective.

chancellor was out first 4 weeks of the season as well as last week he's as important to the Seahawks defense as Sherman. 

But hey that Falcons D looks amazing your right.

Archived