Richardson, Pryor, Enunwa, Winters, Williams, Decker,

Beerfish

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now, there are arguments that the best players on the team are now on offense - Marshal.  Revis is great; glad he is back, but I still think the trade made sense when it happened.

Marshall is a very good player. Revis is a hall of fame player.

Just another example of Jets fans underrating Revis. I can't believe anyone still thinks it was a good idea to trade him. He won a Super Bowl with New ENGLAND you guys. Brady doesn't win last year's bowl without Revis. 

Marshall is a very good player. Revis is a hall of fame player.

Just another example of Jets fans underrating Revis. I can't believe anyone still thinks it was a good idea to trade him. He won a Super Bowl with New ENGLAND you guys. Brady doesn't win last year's bowl without Revis. 

Nobody is underrating Revis; at least I am not.  He could be the best player on the planet, it doesn't mean that the trade was bad.  We got great picks for a player that we had very little leverage on and couldn't afford.  the NFL, more than any other sport, is a team game.  Having one great player doesn't win you it all.

And we traded him outside of the conference; Tampa was stupid to pay all that they did for a 1 year rental.  Nobody would have thought that he would wind up at NE last year.  Talking about hindsight being 20/20.

There is a great player and then there is the bigger picture.  It is like the guys saying pay Mo anything.  At some point you run out of money.  You have to have 53 players and all of the money cannot be on 2 players. IMHO.

Nobody is underrating Revis; at least I am not.  He could be the best player on the planet, it doesn't mean that the trade was bad.  We got great picks for a player that we had very little leverage on and couldn't afford.  the NFL, more than any other sport, is a team game.  Having one great player doesn't win you it all.

And we traded him outside of the conference; Tampa was stupid to pay all that they did for a 1 year rental.  Nobody would have thought that he would wind up at NE last year.  Talking about hindsight being 20/20.

There is a great player and then there is the bigger picture.  It is like the guys saying pay Mo anything.  At some point you run out of money.  You have to have 53 players and all of the money cannot be on 2 players. IMHO.

Yep.  We used that 1st round pick for Revis on Sheldon Richardson, who is one of only 2 elite NFL players on this roster under the age of 30.  I suppose one could argue we would have taken Richardson at 9 if we had not traded Revis, but we have no way of knowing that for sure. 

If we had known Revis would end up with New England 1 year after signing a monster deal with Tampa Bay, there's no chance we would have made that trade.  But we also didn't think we'd ever get him back and playing at a high level despite an ACL tear either.  In my mind Idzik did nothing wrong in this instance at least.

They got a great pick for Revis, not great  picks.  They got Sheldon and Jalen Saunders.  The argument is that if they kept Revis CB wouldn't be a need and they would have picked Sheldon at 9.  I agree the contract was an issue for the Jets, but Tampa's stupidity did not have to do with paying Revis.  Having no dead money was a good move by them.  Their stupidity was thinking that Schiano could coach in the NFL.

The argument is that if they kept Revis CB wouldn't be a need and they would have picked Sheldon at 9. 

An argument we can't really prove one way or the other.  All we know is what actually happened, which was us getting an elite DL out of the deal.  Not a bad outcome at all.

They got a great pick for Revis, not great  picks.  They got Sheldon and Jalen Saunders.  The argument is that if they kept Revis CB wouldn't be a need and they would have picked Sheldon at 9.  I agree the contract was an issue for the Jets, but Tampa's stupidity did not have to do with paying Revis.  Having no dead money was a good move by them.  Their stupidity was thinking that Schiano could coach in the NFL.

That fact that we may have squandered one of the picks (although I thought we traded that pick for Ivory) doesn't negate the value of the trade.  I also meant that Tampa gave us the 2 picks - I wasn't referring to the money.  Either way, a great pick for someone we couldn't resign is still pretty good.

Yes, why pay 2 picks and 14 million for the best shutdown corner to have him play mostly zone is beyond me, but not TBs only coaching screw up. :-)

That fact that we may have squandered one of the picks (although I thought we traded that pick for Ivory) doesn't negate the value of the trade.  I also meant that Tampa gave us the 2 picks - I wasn't referring to the money.  Either way, a great pick for someone we couldn't resign is still pretty good.

Yes, why pay 2 picks and 14 million for the best shutdown corner to have him play mostly zone is beyond me, but not TBs only coaching screw up. :-)

Revis got 16 million in 2013?? 

As for the Harvin deal I thought it was a smart move at the time. Idzik was familiar with him from Seattle. Seattle did not decide to trade him until about October. That's why the deal was made during the season not before the season. His contract was in it's last year so there was financially not that much of a risk. We had plenty of cap space. And the team needed an impact player on O. Harvin at times played very well for the Jets last season. I thought Idzik got good value and didn't give up that much. And it was worth the risk. It just didn't work out. 

Geno is not a complete bust. He wasn't a 1st round pick either. Going into training camp the new coach and GM basically had him being the starter. Lucky for us he got punched out but the guy is at least an NFL backup. And the Revis trade to the Bucs, he used the pick to draft Sheldon who was probably the best player in that draft year. And Quincy is starting to look like a very good draft pick. So you can't say he whiffed on a good draft class of receivers. There are other good players  he drafted like Reilly, etc. 

Yep.  We used that 1st round pick for Revis on Sheldon Richardson, who is one of only 2 elite NFL players on this roster under the age of 30.  I suppose one could argue we would have taken Richardson at 9 if we had not traded Revis, but we have no way of knowing that for sure. 

If we had known Revis would end up with New England 1 year after signing a monster deal with Tampa Bay, there's no chance we would have made that trade.  But we also didn't think we'd ever get him back and playing at a high level despite an ACL tear either.  In my mind Idzik did nothing wrong in this instance at least.

Sheldon is a good player on his 2nd perhaps 3rd chance with the league. He's dynamic but also a suspension waiting to happen.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

It seems that most agree his biggest failing was in not getting more value for his 12 picks. You do realize that he orchestrated the aquisitions of many of those picks by letting go dead weight and signing guys who wouldn't cost us the supplemental picks we were due for losing those vets?  Compared to the Tanna days when he posse away picks like a drunken sailor, this strategy netted us some solid players, reduced the cap and turned over the bottom of our depleted roster. 

Didn't we get a 4th rounder in the 2014 draft in addition to the 2013 # 13 pick?

EDIT:  I see you fixed it.  Jalen Saunders counts for nothing in the end, so you were right the first time anyways!

It's still picks (plural). That the latter+lesser of the picks was squandered doesn't mean the trade was bad. It means we used the pick badly. Plus, if Tampa kept him for more than 1 season it would have been a 3rd rounder.

Revis had I think $9M of dead cap even after trading him. The Jets were in no position to re-sign/extend him then, and there was no reason to believe it wouldn't have become a bidding war if we waited until the 2013 season was over to re-sign him. His value (as a free agent) dropped temporarily, after not living up to the $16M paycheck Tampa gave him but that is hindsight. Had he commanded at least the $16M Tampa offered him, then $16M to other teams would be $19M on the Jets because of more seasons of $3M cap hits from past bonus paid to him. 

It wasn't a dumb move to get him off the books in an obvious pre-rebuild season (draft-only rebuild, such as it ended up being) until we could get out from under Sanchez's guaranteed contract a year later. 

As for the criticism on the 12 picks in 2014 and not getting so much value. Most of it is geared towards not getting one of the good Wrs in that draft. Now we're seeing that Quincy could end up being one of the better ones. None of us would want to not have him on our team. So Idzik drafted 3 wide receivers in the 4th and 6th rounds and one made it to be a starter. That's not so bad.  Many of those were extra comp picks which were untradeable. And it's really hard to select 12 players and have them all make your team. My  question is why not use some of the tradeable picks to trade out of that draft (for 2015). The big question marks remain Jace Amaro and McDougle. 

Drunken sailor and vet min guys like Lattimore and Erin Henderson > sh*tty drafting. 

Quincy Enunwa does not sniff being one of the better WR's from 2014.  He is a willing blocker and tries hard, but c'mon.  Even if you pull the guys off the board who were picked before Pryor, Enunwa has a long way to go before he sniffs the top 10.  Benjamin, Cooks, Robinson, Moncrief, Landry, John Brown, Hurns, Matthews, Adams.  The Jets needed WRs desperately and Idzik couldn't even find one to crack the roster when guys like Nelson and Salas were starting games.  Enunwa has like 20 catches, 300 yards with no TDs.  His year is very comparable to Stephen Hill's rookie year (50 more yards, 3 less TDs, identical number of catches).  Of course Hill was born a full year before Enunwa...

Upon further review, Will Tye laughs at Enunwa's production.

Thanks Idzik? I guess so, but even a blind squirrel gets a nut sometimes. Idzik did not put an NFL caliber team on the field last season.

Or the year before. The "talent" he fielded for DB and WR was atrocious. He had no business being a GM. 

Drunken sailor and vet min guys like Lattimore and Erin Henderson > sh*tty drafting. 

Quincy Enunwa does not sniff being one of the better WR's from 2014.  He is a willing blocker and tries hard, but c'mon.  Even if you pull the guys off the board who were picked before Pryor, Enunwa has a long way to go before he sniffs the top 10.  Benjamin, Cooks, Robinson, Moncrief, Landry, John Brown, Hurns, Matthews, Adams.  The Jets needed WRs desperately and Idzik couldn't even find one to crack the roster when guys like Nelson and Salas were starting games.  Enunwa has like 20 catches, 300 yards with no TDs.  His year is very comparable to Stephen Hill's rookie year (50 more yards, 3 less TDs, identical number of catches).  Of course Hill was born a full year before Enunwa...

Upon further review, Will Tye laughs at Enunwa's production.

Yeah, but he did address Wr in 2014 by signing Decker the best available FA that year. Not such a bad signing. And it looks like Quincy is going to be very good and maybe prove to be a first round talent. What I mean is that if that draft were today he might be a 1st round pick.  And they got him in the 6th round. He is a cross between a tight end and a Wr and is also a good blocker. If you're going to say why didn't we draft player X when he dropped two or three rounds and a lot of teams didn't select him then you will end up nailing every organization. You can say the same for Richardson. 12 teams passed on him. PS as for guys like Salas starting: first he is a good player. And second look at guys starting for teams now. Due to injuries. They were on the street a few weeks ago. The Colts have signed a half dozen Qbs over the last month. But Idzik did himself in. Because he was not capable of dealing with the press and that aspect of the job. And his presser that day: he was way over his head. It was embarrassing to the franchise He's the kind of person better to be in the back of the room. But giving the guy two years and judging his drafts so early: it was an over reaction by the owner because of all of the bad pub attached to a poor season and a popular coach like Rex Ryan who always deflected the blame. 

Yeah, but he did address Wr in 2014 by signing Decker the best available FA that year. Not such a bad signing. And it looks like Quincy is going to be very good and maybe prove to be a first round talent. What I mean is that if that draft were today he might be a 1st round pick.  And they got him in the 6th round. He is a cross between a tight end and a Wr and is also a good blocker. If you're going to say why didn't we draft player X when he dropped two or three rounds and a lot of teams didn't select him then you will end up nailing every organization. You can say the same for Richardson. 12 teams passed on him. PS as for guys like Salas starting: first he is a good player. And second look at guys starting for teams now. Due to injuries. They were on the street a few weeks ago. The Colts have signed a half dozen Qbs over the last month. But Idzik did himself in. Because he was not capable of dealing with the press and that aspect of the job. And his presser that day: he was way over his head. It was embarrassing to the franchise He's the kind of person better to be in the back of the room. But giving the guy two years and judging his drafts so early: it was an over reaction by the owner because of all of the bad pub attached to a poor season and a popular coach like Rex Ryan who always deflected the blame. 

Decker was a no brainer signing. I'll give Idziot credit for getting him at a good price. But let's be honest,  if it wasn't for the allure of NYC another team would of outbid cheapskate Idziot for his services. 

And no way Q is 1st round talent. I really don't know where you're getting that from. Sure he's made a few good plays,  but he's had a ton of drops. He's a better blocker than receiver. 

Decker was a no brainer signing. I'll give Idziot credit for getting him at a good price. But let's be honest,  if it wasn't for the allure of NYC another team would of outbid cheapskate Idziot for his services. 

And no way Q is 1st round talent. I really don't know where you're getting that from. Sure he's made a few good plays,  but he's had a ton of drops. He's a better blocker than receiver. 

Just my opinion about Q. I think he's a perfect fit for the Jets and the main reason we're not using the tight end position in the offense. And that in the long run he is going to be better than some of the guys drafted in the first round. Decker did get pretty good money over 7 mil per season and he's not our no. 1. I disagree that Idzik was a cheap skate. He just looked at the Jets for 2014 as a team he wanted to build on that wasn't ready yet for the playoffs. And probably wanted to use that cap space in 2015 which is what Mac did.  His idea for the secondary was to build it via the draft and in his two drafts he used high draft picks on DBs. I still think that Milliner has the talent to be a starting NFL corner. But it will be interesting to see if Mac keeps him around during this off season. I was surprised he cut Coples like they did. Except it was during a losing streak and they wanted to give a message to the rest of the team. 

I don't know how to respond.  Most of this seems fairly reasonable, but Enunwa being a first rounder in a re-draft?  Salas being a "good player" as a starter?  Those statements border on insanity, IMO.  Enunwa has 300 yards receiving in 2 years.  His catch rate is horrible.  Salas has been in the league since 2011 and his career numbers wouldn't be a good season for a stiff like Jeremy Kerley. I am saying that we drafted a sh*tload of WRs, we needed a sh*tload of WR and he struck out nearly every time.  You want to give him credit for hitting a slow roller (Enunwa) that looks like it may slip between the 1st and 2nd basemen?  **** him.  He drafted like an idiot.

The only rational thing to say is that he counted Amaro as a pass catcher. Even that does not look like a very good choice. 

I don't know how to respond.  Most of this seems fairly reasonable, but Enunwa being a first rounder in a re-draft?  Salas being a "good player" as a starter?  Those statements border on insanity, IMO.  Enunwa has 300 yards receiving in 2 years.  His catch rate is horrible.  Salas has been in the league since 2011 and his career numbers wouldn't be a good season for a stiff like Jeremy Kerley. I am saying that we drafted a sh*tload of WRs, we needed a sh*tload of WR and he struck out nearly every time.  You want to give him credit for hitting a slow roller (Enunwa) that looks like it may slip between the 1st and 2nd basemen?  **** him.  He drafted like an idiot.

The only rational thing to say is that he counted Amaro as a pass catcher. Even that does not look like a very good choice. 

I don't think Idzik drafted like an idiot. Great if he could only catch has been the book on Enunwa since forever. I'd certainly have taken him ahead of the other two retards but any higher than late third would have been ludicrous.

Salas isn't a bad receiver. I think this season he was hit with injuries. He made plays for us when he was here. He's an ok 4th or 5th receiver. I don't see how you can blame a guy like Amaro for being injured a season. At times last year he looked good as a receiving TE and many Jets fans liked him a lot. As for Quincy's yards and evaluating him on that. He's starting to come around and make plays. He didn't play last season and he was out this year for four games (suspended). Being a first rounder isn't a big deal really since so many guys have failed.Look at all of the UFAs and higher round picks who end up being better players. Look, Jarvis Landry looks like he's going to be an impact player. But he wasn't taken until the 2nd round. 

It's so funny looking at bitonti still desperately trying to make an argument, all because of everything he was proven to be wrong about years ago.  In the end, Revis wasn't on sh*tty Jets teams that he wouldn't have been any significant help to, and therefore wasn't eating up chunks of cap space during those two years, which contributed to all the money that Maccagnan had available this past offseason.  And now that the team is no longer a piece of sh*t, Revis is back.  Oh yeah, and they got Richardson in the deal too.  As much as some folks try to convince themselves otherwise, with Revis on the last year of his deal and having high demands, there's a very good chance they still would have taken Milliner with their pick.

Other than crying over one year he spent on the Pats, which was not where the Jets sent him, there's really no valid reason to be bitching about this.  It actually worked out pretty damn well for the Jets.

Right on both counts, Jessie wanted to be in NYC; Q may turn out to be one of those players like Cotchery that you are glad you have; He may be a great fit for Chan, but not a 1st round talent.

Archived