Eagles fire Chip Kelly

Joejet

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When we were looking for a head coach there was no one and had to settle for Bowles. One year later and Chip Kelly, Sean Peyton are available? **** Yea we are 10-5 bec of Fitz and BMarshal. Bowles has had numerous clock issues and Jets pass Defense which is supposed to be his specialty has been average. If anything Chan Gailey has been the best coach on this team.

fi

When we were looking for a head coach there was no one and had to settle for Bowles. One year later and Chip Kelly, Sean Peyton are available? **** Yea we are 10-5 bec of Fitz and BMarshal. Bowles has had numerous clock issues and Jets pass Defense which is supposed to be his specialty has been average. If anything Chan Gailey has been the best coach on this team.

fi

Actually, it was Bowles who took charge of the offense and instructed Gailey & Fitz to "get away from calculus and back to algebra" once they fell to 5-5.  The simplification of the offense has changed things for the better.  Bowles was a big part of that.

fi

suspect u are I. The minority with this view.

he's a rookie head coach u expect some mistakes but there hasn't been too many this year.

Yeah, so his first two seasons, they ranked 7th and 8th in Football Outsider's DVOA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I may be wrong but I think last year they didnt beat any winning teams or something. Obviously the schedule isnt thier fault. But I think they were kinda like this year's Packers; pretenders with a lot of problems and a winning record. I like to root for GB, but they kinda suck this year despite the record. 

I may be wrong but I think last year they didnt beat any winning teams or something. Obviously the schedule isnt thier fault. But I think they were kinda like this year's Packers; pretenders with a lot of problems and a winning record. I like to root for GB, but they kinda suck this year despite the record. 

It really proves how important Jordy Nelson is to that offense. This season has proved that Randall Cobb has no business being cast as a number one receiver. And Adams is just bottom of the barrel awful.

It really proves how important Jordy Nelson is to that offense. This season has proved that Randall Cobb has no business being cast as a number one receiver. And Adams is just bottom of the barrel awful.

Adams burned me in DFS until I said screw it and if I drafted any Packers it was Lacy or one of the Rodgers. 

Adams burned me in DFS until I said screw it and if I drafted any Packers it was Lacy or one of the Rodgers. 

The failure of Eddie Lacy has me forever adopting the zero RB theory in fantasy football. I was almost there. Now, it's all the way. Except for LeVeon Bell. I love that guy.

But, anyway, back to Chip Kelly. Since most of the big time college jobs are already filled, I see three scenarios taking place. The most likely is that he ends up in Tennessee to coach Mariota. The second is that the one team looking to make a big splash and dumb enough to give him absolute power is our friends the Dolphins. The third is that he takes a year off and returns in a high profile college job.

My gut tells me that the obvious Titan thing doesn't happen and Chip heads down to South Beach to become King Phaggot. This really isn't something I want to happen. I know Tannehill sucked this year, but he's a better fit for Chip's offense than any pro QB Kelly has had. The talent is there with Landry, Miller, Stills, and Parker for that to be a very scary offense with Chip Kelly running it.

The failure of Eddie Lacy has me forever adopting the zero RB theory in fantasy football. I was almost there. Now, it's all the way. Except for LeVeon Bell. I love that guy.

But, anyway, back to Chip Kelly. Since most of the big time college jobs are already filled, I see three scenarios taking place. The most likely is that he ends up in Tennessee to coach Mariota. The second is that the one team looking to make a big splash and dumb enough to give him absolute power is our friends the Dolphins. The third is that he takes a year off and returns in a high profile college job.

My gut tells me that the obvious Titan thing doesn't happen and Chip heads down to South Beach to become King Phaggot. This really isn't something I want to happen. I know Tannehill sucked this year, but he's a better fit for Chip's offense than any pro QB Kelly has had. The talent is there with Landry, Miller, Stills, and Parker for that to be a very scary offense with Chip Kelly running it.

Miami.....

I hope so!! :)

IMO just wait until Chip has to face Bellichick, Bowles and Rex on an ongoing basis...... He will wish he was in another dvision fast.

Miami.....

I hope so!!

IMO just wait until Chip has to face Bellichick, Bowles and Rex on an ongoing basis...... He will wish he was in another dvision fast.

The same Rex that turned a top five defense into a turnstile?

Firing today certainly seems like sending a message to the rest of the league to embarrass Kelly but maybe his contract kicked in new provisions if he remained the coach through week 17. If that's the case then there's no point to keep him beyond today and let him spend the week ******* up the team.

Theories that Kelly was going to lose his management powers and opposed the demotion that led to his firings are possible but unlikely. You can't have a leader take a demotion in the face of grumblings in the locker room and expect the players to continue respecting and following his lead. Kelly either has to keep his level of power or go.

Chipped Kelly lost this team in the off season. Losing McCoy, Maclin and in particular Jackson (due to gang related issues?) brought up racial tension in the locker room. I also think that one player on offense used the n-word in public and it was recorded.

he tried to make a recovery with Murray, a player who does not fit his system. Murray is boss of this team. Kelley got chipped. Back to college for him.

Chip says he’ll stay in the NFL, doesn’t want personnel control

Chip KellyAP

After failing in Philadelphia, Chip Kelly realizes he’s a coach, not a general manager. But he still thinks he can succeed in the NFL, and wants another shot at it.

Kelly told Jay Glazer of FOX Sports that he wants to remain in the NFL, and not return to college. Kelly was an excellent coach at Oregon and would have several job opportunities if he wanted to coach in college again, but he’s apparently no interested in that. Kelly’s insistence that he’s staying in the NFL will lead to more talk that he could move to Tennessee and coach the Titans.

Kelly also told Glazer he only wants to coach in his next stop and does not want to be the personnel man. That’s surprising, as Kelly insisted on personnel control in Philadelphia and reportedly balked when Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie suggested that he should give up that control.

Now the question is whether there’s some NFL owner and some NFL general manager who can work work with Kelly. It didn’t work in Philadelphia, but that doesn’t mean it can’t work anywhere.

www.profootballtalk.com

Permalink 18 Commen

Chipped Kelly lost this team in the off season. Losing McCoy, Maclin and in particular Jackson (due to gang related issues?) brought up racial tension in the locker room. I also think that one player on offense used the n-word in public and it was recorded.

he tried to make a recovery with Murray, a player who does not fit his system. Murray is boss of this team. Kelley got chipped. Back to college for him.

Kelly is an arrogant punk who thought he could get rid of all his players that his coaching ability and play calling was enough.  Basically another Mangini or Josh Mcdaniels but with a better resume

Miami.....

I hope so!! :)

Well, he did beat all 3 of these AFC East teams this year. ;)

So maybe Miami will jump at the chance? Is their big top big enough for that size of circus??

Unbelievable. He went 10-6 in back to back seasons. I thought that would be enough to earn him one more year.

I guess it had to do with personnel moves more than anything else. Murray and Maxwell got big contracts but played really poorly. Bradford got $13 million and had a bad season. The receivers he drafted couldn't make plays and dropped a ton of passes. His newly built offense fell off a cliff.

That's the same thinking that meant we kept Rex way longer than we should have done.

Well, he did beat all 3 of these AFC East teams this year. ;)

So maybe Miami will jump at the chance? Is their big top big enough for that size of circus??

Tannehill is just another overrated scrub like Bradford or Foles Kelly knows that.  Mariota is too but at least he's already familiar with Kelly's system and they know eachother.

fi

Please buy a clue

The lesson there is that you either have a QB or you don't, and there is no hiding from the fact that you do not, no matter how fancy your system is.

The system got him to five games over .500 with Nick Foles, Mark Sanchez, and Sam Bradford under center. If there's a lesson here, it's that no coach should ever get personnel control. If there's another, it's that teams in big markets should be content to hire the latest Manic Pixie Defensive Coordinator to call 30 dive plays a week and win every game 17-13, because hiring a coach with even a mildly innovative bent will cause media and fans to react to every move he makes by saying "You think you're better than me?"

Chips system was a mess this year. They never had the ball. It took some time for the league to catch up, but they caught up. I believe they had the most negative plays in the league. It wasn't an innovative offense, it was predictable and easy to key on the backs to where the play was going. Their passing offense consisted of Jordan Matthews running crossing patterns and getting destroyed.

I guess if he had mobile QB it could work, but calling that offense innovative isn't accurate imo.

Kelly already has the bags packed for Tennessee.  Mariota will end up being a bust unless he plays in Kelly's offense 

Mariota played pretty well this season with no running game and his best receiver being a tight end. He doesn't need a gimmick offense to succeed, just some better supporting cast.

He got figured out as a really sh*tty general manager, not a coach.

Agree to disagree, friend.  The NFL game requires a well rounded coach IMO.  The offense has to compliment the defense to a degree.  Anytime a Chip Kelly offense falters the D is going to tire very quickly and games will get out of hand fast.  You have to have an understanding that sometimes you hav to play the clock, field position, and defensive game planning as well.  Kelly is the type of OC that might get punched by a DC after a while. 

I heard one story that Lurie on the team flight with Chip right there players like Murray were opening talking to him about how bad Chip was. IMO he should have just told them that Chip is the coach and he has to go through him with any complaints. This would have given the players the right message. Listen to the coach, he is in charge. Maybe Chi8p was happy to get out of there. Esp. since he is going to be pocketing around 12 million unless there is a settlement. 

I wonder if this will fire up the Gamble for GM talk.  There was that dude here that swore the Jets blackballed him, that he only left SF because Baalke saw him as a threat and that he was still a viable GM candidate.  He has a bunch of ties to Philly and they are the ones that hired him when he was left without a chair in the 2013 GM carousel.  Last year he rejoined SF as "Senior Personnel Executive" whatever the **** that is.  If they don't at least give him a serious look you would have to think the stories of him being a sh*t interview are spot on.

Agree to disagree, friend.  The NFL game requires a well rounded coach IMO.  The offense has to compliment the defense to a degree.  Anytime a Chip Kelly offense falters the D is going to tire very quickly and games will get out of hand fast.  You have to have an understanding that sometimes you hav to play the clock, field position, and defensive game planning as well.  Kelly is the type of OC that might get punched by a DC after a while. 

A good post. Kelly cares more about his offensive rankings even if it gasses his defense. Sounds familiar.

Lesson 1a-I don't care how cute and successful your cool new gimmicky offense works in college, it will not work in the NFL.

His system worked just fine his first 2 years, winning 10 games and his division each year. His problem was getting rid of pretty much every good player that he had. His arrogance led him to believe that the system worked because of him and not his players. He is a pretty good coach, but terrible GM. If he lands somewhere with a strong GM, there's no doubt he will be successful

fi

The bolded is simply not reality.  The Jets didn't settle on Bowles.  The Jets pursued Bowles and gave him an offer he couldn't refuse because they were afraid he was going to Atlanta.  Instead, the Jets hired Bowles and Atlanta had to wait for Quinn because there was no one left.

As to the rest of your post, that's a matter of opinion, but as other posters stated, Bowles had influence on Gailey to tinker with the offense which led to the winning streak.

Archived