" Jets hit paydirt with Todd Bowles/Mike Maccagnan tandem " ~ ~ ~

kelly

It's pretty clear that Maccagnan is a good GM.  He understands that you have to bring in and invest in impact players (Marshall, Revis), but also understands how important draft picks are (he got a fifth round pick back in the Mauldin trade).  

Tannenbaum understood that you had to bring in impact players, but the roster was thin because of the way he traded draft picks.  Idzik didn't want to spend on big time players.  He wanted to find bargains with upside (Chris Johnson, Dimitri Patterson, etc.).  

• Replies 687
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's pretty clear that Maccagnan is a good GM.  He understands that you have to bring in and invest in impact players (Marshall, Revis), but also understands how important draft picks are (he got a fifth round pick back in the Mauldin trade).  

Tannenbaum understood that you had to bring in impact players, but the roster was thin because of the way he traded draft picks.  Idzik didn't want to spend on big time players.  He wanted to find bargains with upside (Chris Johnson, Dimitri Patterson, etc.).  

This is basically the sports as male soap opera perspective. All of these decisions can be framed from an organizational standpoint, specifically the Jets' comical propensity for overreacting to short-term variance, rather than word vomiting about what certain individuals do and don't want or understand. We've basically been doing the pendulum thing for a decade running. We basically stood pat in 2007 after the fluky playoff berth in 2006. When that turned out predictably we went drunken sailor in 2008. Favre made us think we were a quarterback away and 2009 may have been the closest we came to having the right idea, but we sure got the wrong quarterback. The next couple of offseasons reflect a baffling inability or stubborn refusal to recognize that. Then we entered the dreaded try not to get fired phase which ended, as it always does, with firings. 2013 wasn't as bad as anybody expected given the shift from profligacy to austerity (which had as much to do with roster composition as it did with management philosophy), so when 2014 went basically how it was always gonna go we mashed the reset button. Our team is dumb. You kind of just have to accept that.

I didn't think we'd ever get a successful GM/HC combo in my lifetime. Let's face it, we've gone longer than just about every other NFL team without one. Woody just woke up one day and basically said, "F-ck. I don't know anything about this game. I better hire somebody to make these decisions." And it's made all the difference.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

A few takeaways on "Baggie Day" at One Jets Drive :

1. Everybody tries to define a season in absolute terms, but that's hard to do. Here's how I'd summarize 2015 for the New York Jets: It certainly wasn't a bust, not with a 10-6 record, but it was the imperfect 10 --- not good enough. They finished in the top 10 in total offense and total defense for the first time since 1998, and they still failed to make the playoffs, imploding against Rex Ryan's Buffalo Bills. That hurts, especially with a top-seven payroll and a win-now roster."I think we have something special here, and I thought we had the formula to make a run at it," Jets receiver Brandon Marshall said.

Look at it this way: The Jets took the elevator from the basement and went up a long way, but got stuck below the party floor.

2. Despite a six-game improvement from last season, there was no self-congratulation in the locker room or at the head coach's podium. That's one of the differences between Todd Bowles and Rex Ryan. Under Ryan, the Jets always talked about the wonderful things they accomplished and the wonderful things ahead. Bowles changed that culture in one year. Instead of bragging about the dramatic turnaround and their gaudy statistics, they focused on what they did wrong and how they came up short. That's what you want to hear; it minimizes the chance of complacency. Bowles said he likes where the team is headed, but he's "pissed" they missed the playoffs.

3. My lasting image from the day: As the media left an almost-empty locker room, I looked back and saw Marshall and Ryan Fitzpatrickseated next to each other at Marshall's locker, talking about something. They developed a strong rapport in a short amount of time, which did wonders for team chemistry. They were the two biggest reasons for the turnaround, and yet they share the same sense of emptiness -- a combined 21 seasons without making the postseason.

4. Fitzpatrick loves the Jets, the Jets love Fitzpatrick. Now all they have to do is come up with a contract that makes sense for both sides. This could be tricky. You want to pay him fairly, but you don't want to put a strain on the salary cap and limit long-term flexibility.

5. I asked Bowles if the team needs to get younger, and he replied, "I think we need to get faster, I don't know about younger." It's pretty much the same thing, but I agree with his premise. The Jets need their own version of Odell Beckham Jr. -- not necessarily a wide receiver, but a young, exciting player. It could be a running back or a tight end or an edge pass-rusher. Most of the Jets' best players are older than 30 years old: Marshall (32 next season), Fitzpatrick (33), Darrelle Revis (31), Nick Mangold (32) and David Harris (32). The onus will be on general manager Mike Maccagnan to improve the talent base with faster (and younger) players.

6. It sounds like Bowles will be banging the table to re-sign nose tackleDamon Harrison, a pending free agent. Bowles doesn't throw around too many superlatives, but he said Harrison had "a great year. … I thought he was very important for us." But he has to know it'll be tough to keep Harrison, especially with Muhammad Wilkerson's contract also expiring.

7. I didn't come away with the impression that Bowles is optimistic about his chances of re-signing Chris Ivory. You have to wonder how much they'll try. In the biggest game of the year, he got six carries. Six.

8. A downcast Jeremy Kerley held his tongue, saying little about his frustrating season. I think he knows he's a goner.

9. Bowles said he still considers Revis an elite cornerback. Some might question that, noting Revis often was used in zone coverage againstSammy Watkins. Once upon a time, that never would've happened. But know this: The Jets were concerned about Tyrod Taylor's scrambling ability and they didn't want to leave themselves vulnerable in man-to-man coverage, with their backs turned to the quarterback.

10. The Jets have the 20th pick in the draft. Only 116 days until they're on the clock.

>       http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/57755/jets-show-progress-but-season-cant-be-stamped-a-success

The Message

After winning five games in a row, the Jets were 60 minutes shy from a postseason berth. But they fell behind early in Buffalo, couldn’t sustain a rally late and ultimately ended their 2015 campaign with a 22-17 loss to the Bills.

We made some strides, we didn’t make enough strides,” said Bowles. “From where we came from, we got better. We have a long way to go. It should sting. It should help us propel into next year, understanding what we have to do and work harder and win more games. You know, 10-6 on the surface is an okay record, but it’s not enough to get in.”

Need for Speed

When asked if he thought his team needed to get younger, Coach Bowles quickly transitioned to another area.

“I think we need to get faster – I don’t know about younger. We need to get faster,” he said. “Obviously certain areas, we’re going to have more team speed on the field and that’s always a plus to being a faster team.”

Fitz a High Priority

Ryan Fitzpatrickicon-article-link.gif, who in his first season with New York’s AFC representative threw for a career-high 3,905 yards and 31 TDs, could become a free agent. Bowles said the Jets would like to have him back in 2016.

“Important to bring him back because he’s the starting quarterback. I understand he’s a free agent and it’s all about business and you want to work things out. I understand when you try to bring somebody back and money gets involved to it – it involves the whole team,” he said. “It’s not just about bringing Fitz back – it’s about being able to afford him or somebody else overpaying for him and those types of things. But you can’t take away from anything he’s done this year from a record standpoint or otherwise. He’s been great for the guys in the locker room and he knows we want him back and he wants to be back. It’s just a matter of working it out.”

And if Fitz re-signs, his position is clear.

“If he comes back, he’ll be the starter.”

Surgery for Mo

Pro Bowl DE Muhammad Wilkersonicon-article-link.gif, who racked up a career-high 12 sacks in 2015, left Sunday’s contest with a broken leg and is expected to undergo surgery at some point over the next week.

D-Line Decisions

The Jets finished 2nd in the NFL against the run and one of the big reasons for that success was Damon “Snacks” Harrison. The 6’4”, 350-pounder, who was credited with 8 tackles Sunday (5 solo) and finished with 91 stops, was a handful all season long for opposing offenses. Both Harrison and Wilkerson could become free agents.

“It’s something we have to figure out in the offseason obviously. There are going to be some tricky parts on our doing and there are guys going to be wanting to come back and just working it all out,” Bowles said. “We have a while to get all that done, so there are a lot of things that have to be talked about before then.”

Money Talks

With a 58-yard run against the Bills, Chris Ivoryicon-article-link.gif went over the 1,000-yard mark for the first time in his career. Ivory, who was limited in practice last week with a knee ailment and shared time in the backfield with Stevan Ridleyicon-article-link.gif in Western New York, is another Jet who is scheduled to become a free agent his spring.

“I like Chris. Whether you want him back and how it works in free agency are two different things,” Bowles said. “Obviously money talks and situations differ. So to sit up here and say I want everybody back – yes. Is everybody coming back? No. Everybody is probably not going to come back. But Ivory had a great year, he’s a great running back, he’s a good guy, he works hard and I respect everything he does.”

Slow Starts

The Jets fell behind 16-7 at halftime in Week 17 and it marked the sixth consecutive road contest the Jets were on the wrong side of the scoreboard at intermission

“We’re going to study it as a staff,” Bowles said of starting slow overall. “We’re going to go over it and try to put a finger on it, but at this point right now I can’t tell you that.”

Do It All Again

After dropping four of five, the Jets were 5-5 when they departed Houston on Nov. 22. But during their five-game win streak, they proved to be resourceful and resilient while finding ways to win late against the Giants, the Cowboys, and the Patriots. That should help the team as moves forward in Bowles second season.

“To start with, you’re going to have a new team,” Bowles said. “The carryover is hopefully the confidence that we know how to win and we gel together, but as you get new pieces to your puzzle – you have to gel all over again and you have to blend it together. So hopefully with the right core intact, we can do that again.”

Self-Scout
While Bowles said he could do a lot of things better, he didn’t have a grade in mind when assessing his own performance.

“We didn’t go to the playoffs,” he said. “That’s the bottom line, so I don’t have a grade after that. If you want to call it an F, call it an F. If you want to call it a B, call it a B. I don’t have one for myself. I’m still working at it.”

http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-7/Bowles-News-Conference-9-Takeaways/15b6da6f-1215-4eeb-90b6-1d51ccbb5b63

A funny thing happened to Mike Maccagnan in his first season as general manager: The Jets nearly made the playoffs.The job Maccagnan did puts him front-and-center in the running for the NFL Executive of the Year award. If the NFL gave out a “Rookie’’ Executive of the Year award, he would run away with the hardware in a landslide.

Despite the lack of a happy ending (a playoff berth), Maccagnan’s Jets gave their fans quite a ride this season — if a somewhat unexpected one.

Maccagnan might not concede this publicly, because in the NFL everyone is trained to say they “expect’’ to win every year, but, if given a drop or two of truth serum in his morning coffee, he would tell you that 10-6 and a play or two away from a postseason berth was not exactly on his radar when he first took over.In conversations I had with several respected NFL personnel before the season about realistic expectations for the Jets in 2015, their projections ranged from five to six wins given the team’s roster deficiencies. The Jets, of course, beat those expectations by four to five wins and bettered their 2014 output by six.

The challenge facing Maccagnan and the Jets now is this: Did they win too soon ?

Because now the automatic expectation is for the Jets to “take the next step’’ in 2016, which means making the playoffs. Anything less, of course, will be considered a step back or a failure.But the reality is, with the Jets’ schedule expected to be more stout than it was this season with the NFC West and AFC North replacing the weakling NFC East and AFC South on the slate, it’s possible the Jets could finish 8-8 next season and miss the playoffs — and actually be a better team than they were this year with a deeper roster and more talent.

Maccagnan and his front office staff came to the Jets with a long-term plan — a plan that remains in place — to turn a 4-12 team into a consistent contender by stocking its roster with the talent and depth it had been lacking so badly after too many years of poor drafts and bad personnel decisions.His plan is based on a patient, methodical building process. Of course, no fan of any team wants to hear about a four- or five-year plan. But the astute Jets fan needs to trust Maccagnan, who was hired for his talent-evaluation skills.

Yes, the Jets’ 2015 season was terrific — up until Sunday in Buffalo. But many holes remain in their roster, beginning with a serious deficiency in team speed.

Maccagnan did some immediate retooling with key veterans at the spots that were the most glaring weaknesses in 2014 — at receiver and in the secondary — and hoped for immediate improvement, which he got.Receiver Brandon Marshall, cornerbacks Darrelle Revis, Buster Skrine and Antonio Cromartie and safety Marcus Gilchrist quickly made the Jets much better than they were a year ago. Throw in quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick and suddenly the Jets became instantly relevant again.

“We’re building something here; everybody understands that,’’ coach Todd Bowles said. “The core is in good shape. We need to build around that.’’

They will do that under Maccagnan’s capable watch, and it should begin by re-signing Fitzpatrick as soon as possible. That needs to be a building block that is solidified first. The Jets’ next task with their own free agents likely will be doing what they can to keep defensive tackle Damon “Snacks’’ Harrison.As far as defensive tackle Mo Wilkerson, they hold the upper hand on him with the option of locking him in for 2016 with the franchise tag, which is the most likely scenario because the sides are believed to be far apart on long-term talks.

“We have the foundation,’’ receiver Eric Decker said. “We have the core group to have success. We just have to add a few pieces here and there. I feel good about the direction we’re headed. This year has been a building block from last year.’’In a midseason state-of-the–team meeting with reporters in November, Maccagnan was asked if this season would be considered a “failure’’ if the Jets failed to make the playoffs, and he said, “I don’t view it as a benchmark. We want to build a team that can compete for the playoffs and then, hopefully, at some point in time, beyond that.’’

Here’s the dilemma coming so close to the playoffs has created for Maccagnan and Bowles: In the eyes of Jets fans, making the playoffs will be considered a benchmark in 2016, and anything short of that will be considered a step backward.

>         http://nypost.com/2016/01/06/how-expectation-game-could-backfire-on-maccagnan-bowles/

Archived