kelly

" Jets hit paydirt with Todd Bowles/Mike Maccagnan tandem " ~ ~ ~

Kirwan : Maccagnan 'Starting to Be a Star'

Former Jets executive Pat Kirwan can’t wait for what’s next. He likes the pairing of Mike Maccagnan and Todd Bowles and thinks the Green & White have a promising future ahead.“I like Mike and I’m proud of him, and he got an opportunity to do it his way. And I think he’s starting to be a star,” Kirwan told me. “And you know what, the Jets have needed a star at that position. I think the future of the club is going to be very exciting. I can’t wait to see his next draft to tell you the truth.”

Maccagnan, who is down here in Mobile, AL with his college scouts, also has been joined by Bowles. The former has final say on the 53-man roster while the latter is responsible for molding those pieces together. “At the end of the day I think the guy is in total control … He was almost built to be a head coach,” Kirwan said of Bowles. “Some guys – I worked for four of them – they struggle with it. It’s hard for them. They’re constantly guessing or re-evaluating what they say or do in front of the team. I don’t think the guy has any problem in front of the football team.”

After a 10-6 campaign, both Maccagnan and Bowles have publicly said they would like to retain as many as their own players as possible. Kirwan believes that is imperative as the duo attempts to create a foundation.“First thing you have to do and I learned the hard way when I was at the Jets, is you better keep all your talent and grow from there,” Kirwan said. “You can’t lose players and then just constantly use the draft to replace guys who were good because you’re not making any progress.”

Every team must work within the constraints of a salary cap and the reality is there will be changes ahead. The Jets have a number of prominent players with expiring contracts including DE Muhammad Wilkersonicon-article-link.gif, NT Damon “Snacks” Harrison, QB Ryan Fitzpatrickicon-article-link.gif and RBs Chris Ivoryicon-article-link.gif & Bilal Powellicon-article-link.gif.

“But if it doesn’t equal out financially, you’re going to have to say goodbye,” Kirwan said.

The Jets, who finished 10th overall in offense while amassing a franchise mark with 5,925 yards, had a 3,000-yard passer (Fitzpatrick), two 1,000-yard receivers (Brandon Marshallicon-article-link.gif & Eric Deckericon-article-link.gif) and a 1,000-yard runner (Ivory).  “If you put a big-time vertical threat tight end in there, that would scare people that you wouldn’t know if you should be in nickel or base defense,” Kirwan said. “He could flex out and cause the same kind of problems that Gronk causes and a lot of this good tight ends cause. Then I think you have it all.”And even if the Jets re-sign Fitzpatrick to an extension, Kirwan believes the club should continue to stockpile talent at the position.

”I love Ryan Fitzpatrick, would go into but I the quarterback business. Now they may not agree with me on that, but I don’t think you ever stop trying to get quarterbacks.  And Dick Steinberg who raised me at the Jets said, ‘Never pass a quarterback.’ So if there is one sitting there and you know Ryan’s age, I think you go get one too. And there’s nothing like having two or three of them that you really believe in.”

>       http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-7/Kirwan-Maccagnan-Starting-to-Be-a-Star/0aded6ba-2a97-40e1-bc73-d24fb292132c

Edited by kelly

Remember that "toxic" atmosphere that permeated the Jets during Rex Ryan's and John Idzik's last days as respective head coach and general  manager ? Right guard Willie Colon credited Ryan's replacement, Todd Bowles, with fixing all that. "Todd Bowles changed the culture in that team," Colon said Wednesday in an interview with SiriusXM NFL Radio, via USA Today's Jets Wire. "Everybody knows the circus Rex and Idzik was and everything they went through, and we had to go through.

"Todd, coming in, was pretty much able to hold everyone accountable and get guys to be professionals."

The Jets failed to make the playoffs in 2015 after being knocked out by a season-ending loss to the Bills, the team Ryan now coaches. But the Jets did improve to 10-6 after a 4-12 finish at the end of Ryan-Idzik administration. They benefited from an infusion of talent, but Bowles also brought a degree of cool-headed decisiveness that set a tone from the beginning.

Colon, who spent the last half of 2015 on injured reserve and has hinted at retirement, had noticed that right away, too. As far back as April, Colonsaid tardiness had been "an issue" under Ryan. A month later, Colon said it was clear Bowles would hold players accountable in a way Ryan didn't. Now, he's saying that's exactly what wound up happening.

You can hear a portion of Colon's SiriusXM NFL Radio interview here:

>     http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/02/willie_colon_todd_bowles_cleaned_up_rex_ryan_john.html#incart_river_index

honestly this is such nonsense. Mac made a few good moves, he also spent a ton of money. As a team we played an easy schedule and ended things 10-6, next year we have a terrible schedule...lets see what happens. i distinctly remember people losing their minds over the Manginious...not falling into that trap again. as a true jets fan, i have taken a "dont tell me, show me" kind of an attitude...anything else is for the birds.

Jets general manager Mike Maccagnan is off to a promising start. That much we know.

He pushed a lot of the right buttons last offseason, after owner Woody Johnson hired him to replace John Idzik. (Yes, Maccagnan had the benefit of copious salary cap space, because of Idzik's financial clean-up.

But for the most part, Maccagnan didn't look like a rookie in the GM's seat, even though that's what he was — just as head coach Todd Bowles had never held that role before Johnson paired him with Maccagnan last offseason. 

So how did Maccagnan's first offseason grade out, after the Jets improved their record from 4-12 to 10-6, but still missed the playoffs for the fifth straight year ? 

Quite well, according to ESPN's Mike Sando, who on Thursday re-graded the 2015 offseason for every NFL team. Sando gave the Jets an A in his initial grading. His re-grade was also an A. 

Here's Sando: 

The Jets' first year under general manager Mike Maccagnan and coach Todd Bowles showed what can happen when a struggling team uses all potential avenues for improvement. The Jets went from the bottom 10 to the top 10 in both offensive and defensive expected points added. Trades for quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick and receiver Brandon Marshall paid off big. Spending in free agency often backfires, but the Jets fared well there too, upgrading their secondary. Veteran addition James Carpenter was better on the Jets' offensive line than he previously was on the Seattle line. The Jets also resisted overthinking in the draft when they selected Leonard Williams sixth overall.

Do you agree with his assessment of Maccagnan's first offseason? Disagree? Sound off in the comments. 

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/02/heres_how_mike_maccagnans_first_offseason_graded_o.html#incart_river_index

MacCagnan was a great move and that paid off so far. Todd Bowles I still have serious reservations about. The middle part was like the players were sleepwalking. Anything Bowles was telling them was going in one ear and right out the other. They played without discipline. They played uninspired. they just really looked like sh*t. The last game of the season was a lot of the same.  What was glaringly obvious was Bowles unwillingness to make in game adjustments. When you see Revis getting torched, why not change things up? Giving Chris Ivory very limited touches? That was a huge disappointment and a major dingbat moment for the HC.

9 hours ago, Mainejet said:

Mike MacCagnan is dong a great job as our GM thus far. Todd Bowles f*cking SUCKS as a HC.

Agree on MM ... Although I'm afraid he whiffed on Smith

pretty harsh criticism of TB there ... There were def some growing pains ... Including leaving Revis 10 yards off Watkins the entire week 17 game ... But being a cool head in the middle of our mid-season swoon seemed to help get the troops back on track. Plus he & his specially picked OC Gailey getting the best season out of a journeyman up until 2015, QB  merits congratulations.    I'd thInk "inc." would be the worst grade & most people would go more positive than that

Mac has a turned out to be the real deal. Bowles is a terrible HC. The guy gets owned by Rex Ryan twice and you guys are still stroking the guy? Do you guys even remember when you sold out? If Rex Ryan lost to the Bills twice, like he did in 2014, you guys would have his ASS. Yet, Bowles does the same f*cking thing and you guys wanting to have his babies? I nm ust say Jets fans are the worst kind of full of sh*t I think I've ver seen.

I am not an NFL GM.  So basically I don't know sh*t.

That said, I will say this:

1) Fitz no, at this point.  Greedy ahole.  Dont play games with us, we who have given you the best opportunity in your mediocre career.  Remember, you did not have what it took to beat Rex when it counted.  Ergo, you are, and will always be, an effen loser.

2) Mac.  Please, you had a lot of money last year.  Easy to look genius with cash in the till.  Now it looks like without all that money, you are turning into I aint signing nobody Idzik.  Your deal with Revis was foolish. Just admit it.  Next year, it shall be really sad watching young bucks sail past the old man, over and over again.  And the year after that, and the year after that.... etc

3) Geno?  An NFL QB?  Okay, me, I am famous actor.  20M million per film. Keep sniffing the glue, please.  I love those paper planes.

4) Bryce?  Does anyone really know?  Anybody?  Hello?  

5) Bowles?  Did you see anything last season that was, from a coaching perspective, imaginative?  I didnt. Then again, maybe I am suddenly blind.  And I pay effen over 200 bucks to what this s*** on Direct TV.

So.... given the upcoming schedule, expect maybe 5-11, with Brandon retiring, Decker getting into the music biz with that lapalalooza wife of his, and all our backs gone, and of course the Bearded Multi Rich Wine Man and his friends on and off to better vistas.

And here we sit.  Jets fans since Joe Willie.  Losers.  Once again.

so Mac, here is what I say to you:  find the qb.  everyone else is expendable.  and it aint some 34 year old charlie hustle whose taking your freshman a**  for a novice ride.

do whatever it takes.  get rid of everybody.  just find that effen qb.  

cappice?

On March 3, 2016 at 11:04 AM, Mainejet said:

Mac has a turned out to be the real deal. Bowles is a terrible HC. The guy gets owned by Rex Ryan twice and you guys are still stroking the guy? Do you guys even remember when you sold out? If Rex Ryan lost to the Bills twice, like he did in 2014, you guys would have his ASS. Yet, Bowles does the same f*cking thing and you guys wanting to have his babies? I nm ust say Jets fans are the worst kind of full of sh*t I think I've ver seen.

Way too extreme IMO bro

how do you think Bowles did in the other 14 games?

how about Training Camp & Preseason?

2 games vs. your ex-coach does not a season make.

Bowles had plenty he did wrong in '15 ... He also had plenty he did right

let's see if he can learn from his mistakes & improve, unlike his predecessor 

46 minutes ago, ljr said:

Way too extreme IMO bro

how do you think Bowles did in the other 14 games?

how about Training Camp & Preseason?

2 games vs. your ex-coach does not a season make.

Bowles had plenty he did wrong in '15 ... He also had plenty he did right

let's see if he can learn from his mistakes & improve, unlike his predecessor 

Mainejet over reacts to everything.  He's not the only Chicken Little, but he never disappoints in this regard.  Take it with a grain of salt.  

-- Unlike his New England Patriots counterpart, Todd Bowles didn't push away microphones Tuesday morning during his Q&A with reporters at the AFC coaches' breakfast. A relaxed Bowles sat for 60 minutes at his designated table, patiently answering questions. When it was over, he joked that the reporters were more enjoyable than the casts of "Friends" and "Cheers."

Light moments aside, this is what we learned about the New York Jets :

1. They like Robert Griffin III (kinda sorta): Bowles was asked several questions about his recent meeting with RG III. As you'd expect, Bowles had nothing but positive things to say about the former star-turned-castoff. He said RG III "didn't bad-mouth anybody or have any excuses" about his fall from grace with the Washington Redskins. Bowles said he was impressed with the quarterback's knowledge of recent football history. Yes, really. Maybe it was just posturing, but you got the sense Bowles has doubts about Griffin the player.

2. Bowles is the anti-Woody (when it comes to the Ryan Fitzpatricknegotiations): The coach played it cool, acting as though he's not sweating the possibility of losing his starting quarterback to another team. This was a stark contrast to owner Woody Johnson, who gushed Monday about the unsigned player's importance to the team. Maybe it's a good cop-bad cop thing. Bowles is a graduate of the Joe Gibbs School, meaning he believes quarterbacks can be replaced. But something tells me he'd rather not go down that road just yet.

3. It'll be a "three-pronged" backfield: Bowles called recently signed Matt Forte a "three-down back," but he's not planning to make him a full-time player. The Jets plan to use Bilal Powell and new addition Khiry Robinson in what should be a committee-type situation. As Bowles noted, Robinson still is recovering from a broken leg. Bowles was asked several questions about Forte, most of them concerning his age. Bowles said, "We have this mythical number that 30 is over the hill for a football player. That's not necessarily true." He mentioned Brandon Marshall, who will turn 32 on Wednesday, as a prime example of a still-thriving older player.

4. The defense could be tweaked: With five starting-caliber defensive linemen, Bowles confirmed "there's a chance" the Jets could switch to a 4-3 front. He called Steve McLendon a versatile lineman because he can play more positions than just nose tackle. He described Jarvis Jenkins as a rotational player who can provide an interior pass rush. My gut: Bowles likes the 3-4 too much to abandon it. Look for another season of hybrid fronts.

5. Wanted: leaders: Bowles spoke about the importance of developing team leaders. Without naming names, he said he wants certain players to step into leadership roles in 2016. Ideally, you'd like young, ascending players to step in those roles, but the current roster is shy on obvious candidates. A few guesses:Calvin Pryor, Muhammad Wilkerson, Sheldon Richardson, Leonard Williamsand Buster Skrine, who will go into camp as the favorite to start oppositeDarrelle Revis. Bowles said he won't name permanent captains.

6. Sheldon is back on the line: His days as the emergency outside linebacker are over. Richardson is back to being a defensive lineman. Good.

7. Watch out for Lo: Bowles is expecting big things out of second-year linebacker Lorenzo Mauldin. "I expect him to be a major player this year," he said, meaning a full-time role. Mauldin is the favorite to nail down one of the starting spots on the outside. The other spot belongs to ... good question. It doesn't sound like free agent Calvin Pace, 35, is in the plans.

8. Lukewarm on Brick: Bowles gave a tepid endorsement of left tackleD'Brickashaw Ferguson, saying: "He did some good things and he did some not-so-good things." Ferguson's massive cap charge ($14.1 million) puts his roster spot in jeopardy, but it would be foolish to cut him without an obvious replacement on the roster.

9. Another tight end on the way: They re-signed Kellen Davis, but the plan is to add another. Why not? The more the merrier.

10. Revis Island update: Bowles said he had no idea Revis played most of last season with a torn ligament in his wrist. He also defended the star corner's less-than-steller season, insisting he wasn't disappointed at all. He played "very well," per Bowles.

>   http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/59190/60-minutes-with-todd-bowles-10-things-we-learned-about-the-jets

A look at what's happening around the New York Jets :

~ ~   9. Waffle House harmony :  Bowles had a funny line when asked about his working relationship with general manager Mike Maccagnan. He said there hasn't been one day where they haven't been on the same page, prompting me to ask: Not one disagreement? He responded with a breakfast food analogy, which is not something you hear every day."We like certain players better than others, but we're talking eggs and bacon or bacon and sausage," he said. "We're not talking big disagreements."

Sounds kind of syrupy to me.

rest of above article :  

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/59304/rex-ryans-hope-qb-ryan-fitzpatrick-leaves-jets-for-another-team

Forget the blitz, Jets take a read-and-react approach in free agency

Lose and replace.

Lose and replace.

That pretty much sums up the New York Jets modus operandi through the first three weeks of free agency -- hardly a surprise. At the outset, general manager Mike Maccagnan said their game plan would be contingency-based -- a read-and-react philosophy, so to speak. A year ago, when there was a deep well of cap space, it was an all-out blitz.

A quick recap on the first three weeks :

Free agents signed: RB Matt Forte, DE Jarvis Jenkins (agreed to terms), NTSteve McLendon, CB Darryl Morris, RB Khiry Robinson.

Comment: Forte and McLendon, both 30, project as short-term starters. The Jets took the older/cheaper route at both positions. Jenkins figures to have a key role in the defensive-line rotation. Morris and Robinson are depth signings.

Free agents re-signed: TE Kellen Davis, LB Erin Henderson, RB Bilal Powell, TE Zach Sudfeld, WR Kenbrell Thompkins.

Comment: The Jets gave Powell a $6 million guarantee, so they obviously have big plans for him. Henderson projects as a starter at inside linebacker, but that could change, depending on the draft. The others returned on one-year contracts and will have to compete for roster spots.

Free agents lost: S Antonio Allen, LB Demario Davis, NT Damon Harrison, RB Chris Ivory.

Comment: Harrison is the one they really wanted to keep, but they were outbid by the New York Giants. The Jets could get compensatory picks in 2017 for Davis, Harrison and Ivory.

Players cut: CB Antonio Cromartie, TE Jeff Cumberland, WR Jeremy Kerley.

Comment: The Jets saved $11.2 million in cap room by releasing all three. Coach Todd Bowles said cutting Cromartie, one of his favorites, was the toughest move he's had to make. The odds of a return are slim. Kerley has signed with the Detroit Lions.

Still unsigned: DE Stephen Bowen, K Randy Bullock, G Willie Colon, DELeger Douzable, QB Ryan Fitzpatrick, T Ben Ijalana, LB Jamari Lattimore, WRChris Owusu, LB Calvin Pace, P Ryan Quigley, RB Stevan Ridley, CB Darrin Walls, DE Muhammad Wilkerson (franchise tag).

Comment: Fitzpatrick and Wilkerson are the priorities. Maybe you've heard, but the Fitzpatrick negotiations have turned into a thing.

>       http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/59322/forget-the-blitz-jets-take-a-read-and-react-approach-in-free-agency

On ‎3‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 0:54 PM, FlaJetsFan said:

Now it looks like without all that money, you are turning into I aint signing nobody Idzik.  

Mac is not signing a slew of FA's because he has no cap space.  Idzik signed virtually no FA's with $50M in cap space.  Big difference.   The rest of that rant I am not touching.

On Wednesday, March 02, 2016 at 11:04 AM, Mainejet said:

Come on Main that is even low for your standards. Know you are just being ignorant. Just cause he lost to the Bills twice dosent make him a bad coach. He did a good job this year, you have to have patience. What do you expect a superbowl his first year with Fitz as his QB? Let the man build his team and implement his scheme with the players he wants. this dosent happen in a year.

The first year was easy. Armed with near $60 million in available cap space and a Top-10 draft pick, Jets GM Mike Maccagnan had a fieldday signing and drafting his way to the PFWA “Executive of the Year” award.

It was well-deserved, too. Maccagnan took the Jets from a four-win laughing stock, to 10-win playoff contender, in just a year.

This offseason, things have been a bit more difficult, as the Jets have been near the bottom of the league in terms of salary cap space. Still, Maccagnan made due with what he had, and as a result, the accolades have kept coming.Maccagnan was ranked as the 12th-best GM in the NFL in a recent article by Rotoworld.While Maccagnan’s moves his first year as GM stole the back-page headlines of near every major New York newspaper, what he’s done in 2016, while not as noteworthy, may be just as impressive.

Maccagnan let high-priced free agents Chris Ivory and Damon Harrison ago, replacing them with the likes of Matt Forte and Steve McLendon. After D’Brickashaw Ferguson retired, Maccagnan turned a fifth-round pick into Ryan Clady.Moves like that, among other things, are why Maccagnan earned such a high ranking from Rotoworld despite only holding his positionfor a year.

Here’s their full reasoning for his ranking :

That’s how you produce a comeback album. Given the keys to a franchise in a four-year playoff drought, Mike Maccagnan convinced the old guitar player (Darrelle Revis) to return before finding a new singer (Ryan Fitzpatrick) on the cheap. He brought back the bassist (Antonio Cromartie), too, but ended up having to bury him in the mix. It was indeed a reunion feel for Gang Green in 2015, but it was the new faces who really got the party going. Catching passes from Fitzpatrick — and acquired for the No. 142 overall pick — Brandon Marshall had a  career year  at age 31. In the draft, Maccagnan selected one of its best overall players in Leonard Williams at No. 6 overall. It was this mix of old and new that got the Jets headed back in the right direction, and earned Maccagnan hero status in a ferociously tough market. Many challenges remain. The offensive core is aging and defensive linchpin Muhammad Wilkerson wants to get paid. Left tackle D’Brickshaw Ferguson has retired, and Revis is not the same player he was under Rex Ryan. It means Maccagnan’s honeymoon  period  isn’t going to last long, but the  fact  that he even got a honeymoon period in the Big Apple speaks to how well he performed as a rookie general manager.

>     http://jetswire.usatoday.com/2016/04/19/mike-maccagnan-ranked-top-15-gm-in-nfl/

The New York Jets' staring contest with Ryan Fitzpatrick continues to press on.Speaking Friday, general manager Mike Maccagnan said the team is intent on bringing back the signal-caller."Our focus has always been Ryan," he said, per the team's official Twitter account. "We like Ryan and that's (the contract) we're trying to facilitate."

Added Maccagnan: "It'll work itself out."

The 'work itself out' part is wholly in regards to money. Fitzpatrick and the Jets remain far apart on the quarterback's monetary worth, NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport previously reported.The GM added that it might take some time for the team and quarterback to bridge the gap.Sitting with little cap room, the Jets want to bring back Fitzpatrick, but not currently at the rate going for veteran starting signal-callers.

In the interim, Maccagnan reiterated several times the team continues to do its due diligence on quarterbacks, which included bringing in Brian Hoyer for a visit, but the aim is ultimately Fitzpatrick."Our focus is Ryan but then again, he's a (free agent)," Maccagnan said. "I think Brian Hoyer was an opportunity to look into. We like him as a prospect."

That due diligence also stemmed to the NFL Draft. Maccagnan said Fitzpatrick's situation wouldn't impact the Jets' draft plans and he'd consider a quarterback in any round.

Maccagnan added the team also reached out to the Tennessee Titans when they owned the No. 1 overall pick."The short answer is yes, we inquired," he said, again calling it due diligence.

In the end, we still expect the Jets and Fitzpatrick to eventually agree on terms. The marriage makes too much sense for both sides. New York doesn't want to ride the Genocoaster again and Fitzpatrick's market exactly isn't booming. It might not happen soon, but it makes too much sense for the reunion not to happen.

>     http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000655270/article/jets-gm-on-fitzpatrick-negotiations-itll-work-itself-out

The Jets were very aggressive in Mike Maccagnan’s first offseason as the team’s General Manager, signing Darrelle Revis, Marcus Gilchrist, Antonio Cromartie and Buster Skrine as free agents and trading for Brandon Marshall and Ryan Fitzpatrick on their way to a 10-win season.Those 10 wins didn’t come with a playoff spot, however, and some might have thought the Jets would approach this offseason just as aggressively in order to get what eluded them last year. Things haven’t played out that way, though.

There’s less cap space to use for outside acquisitions and the team’s stances toward giving new deals to Fitzpatrick, who is an unrestricted free agent, and defensive end Muhammad Wilkerson, who was franchise tagged, have shown much more restraint than the Jets showed last season.

In a perfect world, we’d like to potentially compete for the playoffs,” Maccagnan said, via the New York Daily News. “I don’t necessarily view that as a benchmark of success or failure. The goal is not to just sort of mortgage the future. We haven’t sort of leveraged everything to try to make one big run … and at the end of the day, have to try to tear it all down … It’s not like we feel like we have to go all-in and just do it this year.”

Maccagnan’s confidence that he doesn’t need to win big this year explains why the team hasn’t rushed to meet Fitzpatrick’s contract demands and why they were open to trading up to the first pick in the draft before the Rams struck a deal with the Titans. One imagines he has that confidence because he knows what owner Woody Johnson’s expectations are for 2016 and, therefore, isn’t taking too big a risk with his job security.

For a team with veterans in key roles on both sides of the ball, it might not be too much longer before a playoff run is considered a must for Maccagnan to remain on the franchise’s rudder.

>   http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/04/24/mike-maccagnan-goal-is-not-to-mortgage-future-for-short-term-success/

EA Q&A: Jets Have All Options on the Table

Jets GM Mike Maccagnan Believes Quality Drafting Will Lead to Long-Term Sustainability

Note: On Thursday night, we'll have a live Q&A throughout the first round. Use #AskEA and fire away.

@eallenjets @nyjets do you think Bryce petty can be an NFL starter ?

EA: Whether the Jets re-sign  Ryan Fitzpatrickicon-article-link.gif  or not, this is a critical spring for  Bryce Pettyicon-article-link.gif . The Jets liked his ceiling and Petty will benefit from basically a redshirt year in 2015. What GM Mike Maccagnan said last spring — time will tell what level of player Petty becomes — still holds true today. Petty has the physical ability to be starting-caliber quarterback when you consider his size, arm strength, work ethic and intelligence. The Jets thought he progressed well as he made the transition from Baylor’s shotgun spread to Chan Gailey’s pro-style attack. He’ll be one to watch this spring and then we’ll ultimately get a lot better feel for Petty during preseason action.

@eallenjets is there a possibility that Maccagnan could trade down from the 1st round to stockpile more draft picks?

EA: Certainly. I think Mike Maccagnan approaches the draft with an open mind. If you need to do something, you are going to back yourself into a corner. The Jets enter draft weekend with six selections (single selections in Rounds 1-4 and a pair in Round 7) and I’m sure Maccagnan wouldn’t mind adding to that along the way. Just because there are 32 first-round selections doesn’t mean clubs have 32 first-round grades. Value is always the key on draft weekend. Typically you move back when you target a group of players and you are confident you will still be able to land one of them.

@eallenjets @nyjets if you were the @nyjets GM would you draft for need or best player available?

EA: Both. You have to  start  with best player available and then work need into it. When you  reach , mistakes happen. Mike Maccagnan believes addressing need in pro free agency and that sets you up for BPA come draft weekend. His first draft selection –  Leonard Williamsicon-article-link.gif  (Round 1, No. 6 Overall) – set the tone.

@eallenjets @nyjets How has the recovery been going for Devin Smith? And could you see the Jets going WR in the 1st Round this year?

EA: The Jets are currently in Phase One of their offseason program and I would imagine we’ll have an update on Smith in the coming weeks. The Ohio State product, who battled injuries as a rookie, tore his ACL in December. While the stated goal is always to increase competition at every position, the Jets have to feel good about their WR unit heading into the weekend. Brandon Marshallicon-article-link.gif  and  Eric Deckericon-article-link.gif  are a dynamite combo,  Quincy Enunwaicon-article-link.gif  became a valuable hybrid for the Jets in Year 2 and Smith has an intriguing upside.  Kenbrell Thompkinsicon-article-link.gif  pitched in with 17 receptions in 2015 and there are a number of young receivers who would like to make their mark this spring. This WR draft  class  might not have great star power, but pundits I’ve talked to like the depth at the position. http://www.newyorkjets.com/videos/videos/Draft-Countdown-Ranking-the-Top-10-Wide-Receivers/629c084a-c974-4aaf-ba15-283754cdaa91

@eallenjets @nyjets Would you say it's more likely for the Jets to trade up or down? I know it's unlikely either way, but if you had to pick

EA: I wouldn’t say it’s unlikely. I could envision realistic scenarios where either happens. “There will probably be players if they fall to a certain point if we think there’s a chance to go up and get, we’re open to that  option  too,” said Mike Maccagnan during his pre-draft news conference. “On the other side of it, we’re very much in the mindset if there’s an opportunity to move back from 20 and pick up more picks we may do that also. That’s going into the draft preparation, the same thing we did last year. We’re literally calling the 19 teams in front of us and the 11 teams behind us to see where, well 12 teams technically. We’re going through the whole process so we have  options  on draft day.”

@eallenjets @nyjets Do you see the Jets maybe trading up for a Corner like Ramsey?

EA: Most people agree that Jalen Ramsey is the total package. He almost assuredly will be a top 5 selection tomorrow night and you would have to pay a steep price to get up that high. Let's just say that would be a stunner.

@eallenjets @nyjets if Conklin and Leonard Floyd are still on the board who's the pick?

EA: Excellent question. I haven’t watched enough tape to make a selection. Both Jack Conklin and Leonard Floyd have things you can’t teach. Conklin is an old-school mauler, a former walk-in who earned a scholarship and started 35 games at left tackle for Michigan State. Then you have Floyd, a prospect who has tremendous speed and explosion. He could become a versatile performer on the next level, a player who can not only get upfield but drop and cover tight ends as well.

>    http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-6/EA-QA-Jets-Have-All-Options-on-the-Table-/3f7b4c6a-9978-4728-9598-28392a057d70

So Mac doesn't like to answer questions. I'm not sure why he holds a press conference. His reply to every question should be "Thank you for the question". 

1 minute ago, j4jets said:

So Mac doesn't like to answer questions. I'm not sure why he holds a press conference. His reply to every question should be "Thank you for the question". 

Because he has to have a pre draft presser.  All of these pre draft gm things are the same, they won't say anything they don't have to.

1 hour ago, j4jets said:

Agreed.

He should have just said "F*ck it, I'm trading up for Elliott" and dropped the mic.

I am optimistic on Mac but not sold on Bowles. So far all I have really seen is yet another Jets defense oriented head coach, that overly values defense and veteran players and is very conservative on offense. He has a more even demeanor than his predecessors and values offense slightly higher, but I would not have chosen him as a HC.