" Jets hit paydirt with Todd Bowles/Mike Maccagnan tandem " ~ ~ ~

kelly

Mac SUCKS as a GM. It basically took him a f*cking lifetime to sign Mo - an excellent players and one you can build your defense around. This team will SUCK this season and that's because Mac SUCKED in the draft. WHEN is everyone going to understand that when the Jets have a LOSING record/bad seaon that is a DIRECT indictment on the GM?

• Replies 687
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Mainejet said:

Mac SUCKS as a GM. It basically took him a f*cking lifetime to sign Mo - an excellent players and one you can build your defense around. This team will SUCK this season and that's because Mac SUCKED in the draft. WHEN is everyone going to understand that when the Jets have a LOSING record/bad seaon that is a DIRECT indictment on the GM?

You cant be serious with posts like this you just can't!!!

:)

3 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

You cant be serious with posts like this you just can't!!!

:)

I'm afraid he is.  This is standard for him.  I don't know what mac or todd did to him but he goes on this rant every chance he gets

Quid Pro Quo

Jets having a winning season falls equally as directly on the GM ... See 2015

+1... How is Wilk going to be productive when he missed all of mini camp, and is basically an old man after waiting a lifetime to get a deal done? 

All the guys we drafted this year are going to be as bad as all the guys this idiot drafted last year. Nothing but suck. 

All the trades and FAs are going to suck as bad a last year's too. I don't know if we'll ever recover. Mac may not even win GM of the year again this year. Just horrible. 

15 hours ago, Mainejet said:

07f0542bf571e39067d73905fd7e545b.jpg

:(

Sporting News is out with its offseason list of the NFL's best and worst general managers. You might recall that Rotoworld did the same list in April. And back then, Jets GM Mike Maccagnan checked in at No. 12 on the Rotoworld list. 

How does Sporting News' Vinnie Iyer rank Maccagnan ?

Well, he's lower than No. 12. He's at No. 19 on the Sporting News list, which ranked him 28th last year, as he prepared for his first season as a GM.Maccagnan last season wound up winning the Pro Football Writers Association's Executive of the Year award. 

Here is Sporting News' justification for ranking him 19th this offseason : 

It would be easier to put Maccagnan a little higher if given a decision on Ryan Fitzpatrick. But the moves to get Brandon Marshall and bring back Darrelle Reviswere key in the first year with coach Todd Bowles. His drafting of Leonard Williams also seems fortuitous with the Muhammad Wilkerson and Sheldon Richardson situations.

Sporting News' rankings were published before Maccagnan gave Wilkerson a lucrative five-year contract, keeping him with the Jets for at least the near future. The Wilkerson contract is structured so that the Jets have an escape hatch after the 2017 season, if they want it. And during/after the 2017 season just so happens when contract talks with Richardson will really heat up. 

But yes, the Fitzpatrick situation remains unresolved. Does that reflect poorly on Maccagnan? Not neccesarily. But if Fitzpatrick doesn't re-sign and Geno Smith struggles this season as the Jets' starting quarterback, that wouldn't look good. 

What do you think about Sporting News ranking Maccagnan 19th? Sound off down in the comments. 

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/07/where_does_jets_mike_maccagnan_rank_on_list_of_bes.html#incart_river_index

Todd Bowles never played quarterback and never coached quarterbacks. As a former NFL safety, he devoted nearly a decade of his adult life to trying to embarrass quarterbacks. So, no, he's hardly an authority on the position, and yet he's presiding over a potentially volatile, multilayered quarterback controversy that will be one of the hottest training camp stories in the league.

It will take a strong, steady hand to navigate the Ryan Fitzpatrick contract dispute and its fallout, which will have far-reaching implications for theNew York Jets. Bowles handled various forms of adversity quite well in his first season, but there's nothing in the coaching handbook that explains how to deal with a situation like this.He has an absent and angry quarterback demanding more money from a split organization. The locker room wants Fitzpatrick to return, but the front office isn't willing to pay him a starter's salary. Bowles also has Geno Smith, who believes he's ready to lead the team and wants to reclaim his old job.

It's a tough spot for Bowles, who will rely on his gut if not his experience.

"I'm pretty confident -- quiet, but confident," he told ESPN.com. "I don't waver too much, one way or the other. When I make a decision, I go with it."Bowles pushed the right buttons last season, but it wasn't too complicated. When Smith went down because of a broken jaw, sucker-punched by a teammate in the locker room, the decision was easy -- Fitzpatrick. Bowles stuck with him through a midseason slump, but that, too, wasn't a hard decision.The degree of difficulty is about to increase: Does Bowles have enough faith in Smith to move on without Fitzpatrick? If Fitzpatrick returns late, who gets the starting job? Do they keep Christian Hackenberg and Bryce Petty? Do they sign an experienced veteran to replace Fitzpatrick?

Those are the questions he'll face in the preseason; the regular season will bring a new set of challenges.

Bowles said he won't have any problem making a change if he deems it necessary."I know football, I know football players," he said matter-of-factly. "If you're getting your ass kicked consistently, that's a no-brainer. You can see those types of things as a football coach over the course of time. Being that it's my 17th year in coaching, I've seen quite a few things."The stakes are raised for Bowles, whose charge is to end a five-year playoff drought. A successful rookie season (10-6) ended on a bitterly disappointing note, as the Jets gagged away a wild-card berth with a loss to the Buffalo Bills. His first year was akin to a fantastic honeymoon tainted by a missed flight and lost luggage on the return trip.

Bowles will continue to evolve as a coach, but one thing he won't do is get heavily involved in the offense. He plans to stay with the defense, leaving the offense to coordinator Chan Gailey.As a rookie coach, Bowles didn't attend offensive meetings and didn't have sit-downs with Fitzpatrick until later in the season, a hands-off approach that might strike some as unusual. For the most part, Gailey served as the conduit between coach and quarterback. Rex Ryan took a similar approach during his six seasons, fueling the perception that he was a glorified defensive coordinator. That might explain why there always seemed to be chaos surrounding the position.

Bowles said he was not planning to put on a new hat simply because of the wacky quarterback situation.

"No," he said. "I know what's going on and I trust Chan completely. I know the plays we run and I know what everybody is supposed to do, right or wrong. I understand busted assignments and things like that. I'm up to speed because I've been in the offense a year as well. I'm still a defensive guy, but I have an overall game mentality. When you get experience like I did the first year, you get a better feel for situations before they come up."Even though he never has worked closely with quarterbacks, Bowles has coached on teams that dealt with instability at the position, which should serve him well in his current gig. From 2005 to 2014, he worked for four teams that started a total of 12 quarterbacks over that period -- the Dallas Cowboys, Miami Dolphins, Philadelphia Eagles and Arizona Cardinals.

When Bowles discusses the position, he often characterizes it as just one of 22 on the field. He compares Fitzpatrick's absence to that of an injury, invoking the next-man-up mantra. That, of course, is an oversimplification. Everybody knows quarterback is the most important position; it can affect the team's psyche.Bowles sees the game a different way; he sees it from the perspective of a defense-minded coach. He doesn't believe a quarterback mess should cripple the entire operation, pointing to the Denver Broncos as a prime example of how a team can overcome upheaval and win a championship. The Peyton Manning-Brock Osweiler situation could have undermined them, but their defense carried the day.

"You have to find other ways to win the game," Bowles said. "That's what they did. If you remember, they weren't lighting up the scoreboard. They came together as a team. If you come together as a team, you give yourself a chance."

>       http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/61388/jets-coach-todd-bowles-undaunted-by-potentially-explosive-qb-situation

Training camp is finally upon us, with the first practice set for Thursday. As always, the offseason was filled with news of players coming and going, signing and not signing. But just as important as the individuals are the team and its subunits that Todd Bowles and his staff have been coaching up the past four months."Our goal," Bowles said after the penultimate practice of the June minicamp, "is to get better at third down and red zone, not turning the ball over, stopping them in the red zone, stopping them in two-minute as well as converting in two-minute, and adding more poise to finish ballgames. That's what we're trying to get accomplished."

Lofty goals that every team would like to achieve every year. Yet there is no denying that Bowles' guidance produced improvements in almost all of those situations. We'll see soon if the Jets are up to taking them all to new levels. Meanwhile, here is an overview of how the Green & White fared in those key categories in 2015.

Third Down

As Muhammad Wilkerson said last week, "the sky's the limit" for the Jets' defense, and that includes the third-down "D," which was third in the NFL last season with an opponents' conversion rate of 33.2% — the team's best since they were No. 1 at 31.5% in 2009. A big part of last year's success: third-and-1, where they allowed only 10 of 23 conversions, a 43.5% rate that was the best in franchise history. (The Patriots alone were 0-for-3 in Week 16.)The third-down offense has room to grow. Last year's 40.6% conversion rate was the Jets' best in seven seasons, yet it was 12th in the NFL. RB Matt Forté's receiving skills should be helpful in this area.

Two-Minute

The offense had some nice production in the final two minutes of halves, scoring six first-half touchdowns (two vs. Miami) and the game-tying TD in regulation vs. the Giants. For both halves, the "O" produced 64 two-minute points on 12 scores, its best totals since 2011.The defense wasn't bad but still was touched for TDs by New England (twice), Jacksonville and Dallas (plus Miami's late score at home) in giving up 52 two-minute points. This could really be a point of emphasis in training camp.

Red Zone

The RZ gains were highly impressive. Defensively, the Jets' 35.0% TD rate allowed last season was No. 1 in the league and the best mark in franchise history. The 3.55 points allowed on each of the opponents' 40 red zone drives was second-best in franchise history behind the '82 team's 3.26. And the goal-to-go "D" was just as sharp with a 43.5% TD rate and five takeaways, tied for the most in a season since six TAs in 1990.The offense was almost as impressive as the defense inside the 20, leading the NFL most of the season before settling in at No. 3 with a 66.0% touchdown rate, the Jets' best RZ performance since 1971(67.9%). The goal-to-go offense's 84.6% TD rate was second-best in franchise history and it scored on every drive (22 TDs, 4 FGs) for the first time since 2001.

Giveaways/Takeaways

The Green & White nightmare of 28 takeaways and 56 points off TAs in 2013-14 combined appear to have been banished with last year's 30 takeaways and 91 points. Offensive fumbles and fumbles lost continued at a good low rate, but with 16 interceptions thrown, the Jets have averaged 1.1 INTs a game for the last 10 years. That's a decade-long trend that needs to be reduced, especially against the strong defenses the team will be facing in the first half of 2016.

Finishing Games

Closely aligned with second-half two-minute offense, the Jets pulled out a bunch of games with poise (Giants, Cowboys, Patriots) but also lost close calls to the Pats, Bills (twice), Eagles and Texans. Five of their six losses were by seven points or fewer, tied for the most in a season since '07. Finishing will be a big theme in '16.

>     http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-randylangefb/Bowles-Goals-for-Jets-as-Camp-Opening-Nears/db2c3442-0201-4bbe-9839-2ac06fd76bb5

If you think Mac is doing a bad job you just don't know the NFL . He got all the guys we needed to sign, signed.  He brought in adequate replacements for players we lost in free agency and he has drafted well so far.  And he knows Geno sucks. 

-- Quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick wasn't the only person in the New York Jets' organization who exhaled when his contract dispute was resolved at the start of training camp.

So did the man on the other side of the bargaining table.

"For a night, I felt a big sigh of relief," general manager Mike Maccagnan said Friday, speaking to reporters for the first time since the draft. "And then it was back to work."The two sides broke a six-month stalemate on Wednesday evening, with Fitzpatrick agreeing to a contract that will pay him $12 million this season. Technically, it's a two-year deal, but it will void after the season, making him a free agent again.

Maccagnan declined to delve into the specifics of the negotiations, and he wouldn't address Fitzpatrick's comment about being offended by the team's initial offer -- three years, $24 million."The deal is done; we're very happy with it," he said. "We're happy we have Fitz back. I just want to go forward with this whole thing and get the team ready to play. We said all along we want to get Ryan back in the organization. It took a long time to get to the end, but that's what we felt comfortable with at the end."

The Jets gave Fitzpatrick a deadline for 7 p.m. Wednesday, when players reported for the first team meeting. Maccagnan said that was "the demarcation point to get something done."It was a busy two weeks for the second-year general manager, who signed Pro Bowl defensive end Muhammad Wilkerson to a five-year, $86 million contract on July 15 -- the last day a player with the franchise tag could sign a long-term deal. It lowered Wilkerson's cap charge, from $15.7 million (the franchise tender) to $10 million, which gave them flexibility with the structure of the Fitzpatrick deal, Maccagnan said.

Another big contract is looming on the horizon -- defensive end Sheldon Richardson, who is signed through 2017. If Richardson has a strong campaign in 2016, he could demand a new deal next offseason."[Wilkerson's contract] doesn't preclude us from doing something with Sheldon going forward," Maccagnan said.

The general manager touched on a number of topics during a session with beat writers. He all but assured Geno Smith a spot on the 53-man roster, adding that he and the coaches haven't dismissed the possibility of keeping four quarterbacks. Smith, Bryce Petty and rookie Christian Hackenberg would serve as Fitzpatrick's backups.In the first year of the Maccagnan-Todd Bowles regime, the Jets finished 10-6, blowing a wild-card spot in Week 17.Despite the near-playoff season, Maccagnan wouldn't attach any lofty expectations to the coming season.

"I wouldn't say 'playoffs or bust,'" he said. "I mean, I know everybody probably wants that quote, but we're working one week at a time."

>   http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/17175516/new-york-jets-general-manager-mike-maccagnan-says-ryan-fitzpatrick-deal-big-sigh-relief

Jets general manager Mike Maccagnan doesn't want to publicly attach a "playoffs or bust" mantra to this season.Maccagnan likes how the offseason went, after the Jets finished 10-6 last year and barely missed the playoffs, which they last reached in 2010. 

This season is the second for Maccagnan and coach Todd Bowles. And many observers believe the Jets — built to win now, with a 33-year-old quarterback playing on a one-year, $12 million contract — need to make the playoffs, in order for 2016 to be deemed successful.Maybe Maccagnan privately feels the same way. But on Friday at training camp, he avoided a "playoffs or bust" statement that surely would have hung over the team all season, and put additional pressure on Bowles. 

Maccagnan is a measured and cerebral guy, not given to impulsive or brash statements, so he understands how this sort of declaration would look."We're gunning for it," Maccagnan said of the playoffs. "That's our goal. Whether we achieve it or not, that's not the only benchmark we'll probably use to analyze how we're doing." 

Maccagnan said the following would qualify as a successful Jets season: "To go out and be competitive and win as many games as we can win, and ideally get to the playoffs. Once you're in the playoffs, you don't know what can happen after that." 

Could the season be a success if the Jets didn't make the playoffs? 

"I think we'd have to go back and look, if we didn't make it, what was positive, what was something to build on going forward," Maccagnan said. "I don't know if I would necessarily say 'playoffs or bust.' I know everybody probably wants that quote. But we're just working one week at a time here."As far as those other benchmarks Maccagnan referred to, he declined to offer specifics on them. "We'll analyze the season at the end of the season," he said. "I'll keep those benchmarks internal." Maccagnan made it clear that work remains, even as he enters Year 2 pleased with how this offseason unfolded. 

"For where we want to be, we've made some improvements," he said. "But it's definitely a work in progress, and we feel that we're heading in the right direction. But we're probably not at the point where ... we still know we have more work to do. And we really have a lot of football to play, to find out really where we're at."We'll have to see how [the improvements] pan out, at the end of the day. From a year ago when we first came here, we're literally into the second year of this. We've done a lot of things. As the season unfolds, it'll sort of tell us where we're at, in terms of how much progress we've made.

"You never know what happens with injuries, but we feel we've done some things this offseason to hopefully make ourselves a more competitive team. We're kind of excited to see where we're at." 

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/07/mike_maccagnan_playoffs_not_the_only_benchmark_for.html#incart_river_index

Maccagnan: Jets Heading in Right Direction

Jets GM Talks Fitzpatrick, Wilkerson and Team Goals with the Media

Fitzpatrick Back for Camp 

After an offseason of negotiations, the Jets and Ryan Fitzpatrickicon-article-link.gif struck a deal that allowed the veteran quarterback to be on the field for the start of training camp.“At the end of the day, we wanted him back,” Maccagnan said. “Camp was important for us, it was important for everybody. It wasn’t the do all and end all, but at the end of the day that was the demarcation point…We are very happy with getting Ryan back with the organization.”

Four Signal Callers on the Roster ?

With the addition of Fitzpatrick, the Jets have four quarterbacks on the roster: veteran Geno Smithicon-article-link.gif, second-year QB Bryce Pettyicon-article-link.gif and second-round draft pick Christian Hackenbergicon-article-link.gif. Maccagnan says that it’s possible the team will carry all four QBs into the regular season if it’s in the best interest of the team.“We’ll see how it plays out over time in training camp, but it’s something we discussed, “Maccagnan said. “In today’s world, you really want to take the time to grow, develop and groom quarterbacks. Sometimes quarterbacks get thrown into the fire very early in their careers, but we would like the have the ability to invest time with the players and work and grow with them.”

No Connection Between the Fitzpatrick and Wilkerson Deals

The Jets also pulled off a last minute agreement with Pro Bowler Muhammad Wilkersonicon-article-link.gif two weeks ago, but that contract extension made no impact on the Fitzpatrick deal.“There wasn’t a direct correlation,” Maccganan said. “But it gave us more flexibility probably with how we wanted to manage the cap.”

No “Playoff or Bust” Mentality

The Jets would like to make the playoffs and compete for a championship, but Maccagnan doesn’t want the postseason to be the only benchmark."For where we want to be, we've made some improvements," he said. "But it's definitely a work in progress and we feel that we're heading in the right direction. But we're probably not at the point where ... we still know we have more work to do. And we really have a lot of football to play, to find out really where we're at.”

>     http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-7/Maccagnan-Jets-Heading-in-Right-Direction/93e4d648-0a5c-4d1f-8b75-79f5040003ca

Jets quarterback Geno Smith was essentially demoted when the team re-signed Ryan Fitzpatrick earlier this week, and Smith hasn’t hidden the fact that he’s not happy about it.

Still, Jets general manager Mike Maccagnan told reporters Friday that Smith remains in the team’s plans.Asked if he expected Smith to be on the opening day roster, Maccagnan said he “assumes” that answer is yes and said the team likes Smith.

The team will almost certainly end up either moving on from Smith or second-year quarterback Bryce Petty after drafting Christian Hackenberg last spring. That’s a decision Maccagnan doesn’t have to make now, but Smith knows he might also beauditioning for other teams.

Jets Coach Todd Bowles praised Smith in the offseason. Whether that was about trade value or whether the team still thinks Smith could end up being in its long-term plans might is unclear, and a lot could depend on what happens over the next four or five weeks with all of the team’s quarterbacks.

>       http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/07/29/jets-gm-says-geno-smith-remains-in-teams-plans/

Mike Maccagnan would not go there.

In a meeting with reporters this week, the Jets general manager expressed optimism about the Jets and how they’ve improved, but would not say this season is a failure if the team does not reach the playoffs.“I don’t know if I would necessarily say playoffs or bust,” Maccagnan said. “I know everybody probably wants that quote, but we’re just working one week at a time.”

OK, well then I’ll say it: It’s playoffs or bust for the Jets.

With their playoff drought at five years and counting, there is only one goal for this team, especially now that it has Ryan Fitzpatrick back at quarterback. The Jets came within one win of the postseason last year. That crushing 22-17 loss in Buffalo not only altered the 2015 season, but changed how the 2016 season will be viewed as well.A six-year absence from the playoffs would be the longest the Jets have suffered since 1992-97, aka the Coslet/Carroll/Kotite era of futility that caused Leon Hess to go out and hook Bill Parcells. Anytime Rich Kotite comes up in a comparison for the Jets, it is a bad thing.

“We’re gunning for the [playoffs], we’re like everybody else, we go into the season like every team in the NFL, trying to figure out a way to get to the playoffs,” Maccagnan said. “That’s our goal. Whether we achieve it or not, [that’s] not the only benchmark we’ll use to analyze how we’re doing.”This is the longest stretch Woody Johnson has endured without a playoff appearance since he bought the team in 2000. Johnson has to be getting antsy and won’t want to hear about other benchmarks of success for the team.

The Jets should be thinking playoffs coming off a 10-6 season with largely the same cast back. They had a top-10 offense and a top-five defense last year. Success in one season does not automatically mean success in the next — they can look at their Shea Stadium cousins this year to remember that — but there is no reason for the Jets to feel as if they don’t have enough talent to get to the playoffs, like they probably have in some recent seasons.The veterans on the team don’t want to wait. With six potential starters on offense 30 or older, there is a feeling around this team that the window is closing.

“We look forward and expect to be in the playoffs,” running back Matt Forte said this week.

At the moment, their schedule appears to be the biggest obstacle in their playoff hunt. The opening six games feature five playoff teams and the other is Rex Ryan’s Bills, who beat the Jets twice last year. Their overall schedule is the toughest in the AFC based on last year’s records.

Picking wins and losses before the season can be a silly exercise. Teams have sudden dropoffs, injuries happen and there are unpredictable results in the NFL. Just ask anyone who gambles on it. In 2013, the Jets had a five-game stretch that looked like it would ruin their season. Instead, they beat the Falcons, Patriots and Saints and went 3-2 in the stretch.

The Jets’ playoff drought has stretched on long enough. There are just three players — Nick Mangold, Darrelle Revis and David Harris — on this year’s Jets who started in the 2010 AFC Championship in Pittsburgh.

Maccagnan may not want to say it, but it is playoffs or bust for these Jets.

>     http://nypost.com/2016/07/30/ill-say-what-maccagnan-wont-these-jets-are-playoff-or-bust/

While Jets coach Todd Bowles said after Friday's training camp practice that players can't just go around taking swings at each other, he did enjoy the spirit behind wide receiver Brandon Marshall and cornerback Darrelle Revis getting into a skirmish during the practice. 

The on-field matchup and trash talking between the two stars escalated to the point that Marshall took a one-handed, open-hand swipe that connected with Revis' shoulder pads. Teammates quickly diffused the dust-up."We don't condone swinging, and we talked about it," Bowles said. "It's about that time of camp when it gets a little chippy. But we put it out before it got started." 

But Bowles also said this: "You love them competing. You need some motivation. You're going to get pissed off in camp as a player. It's not charm school. Both of them got to where they were for making plays and for not backing down. Neither player is going to back down. You like that about the competitiveness. You've just got to keep it clean. For the most part, they did." 

Friday was the Jets' eighth practice of camp, and fifth in full pads. They practice again Saturday evening, before Sunday's off day. Could more fireworks be in store Saturday, during the team's fifth consecutive practice? Bowles, for one, certainly wouldn't mind, as long as his players don't cross a line. He likes this edginess. 

"Love it," he said. "It's football. We're not here judging a beauty pageant. You want some players that are chippy and know how to play and keep it clean. But you want them on the edge."Bowles also didn't mind Marshall loudly trash talking Revis about the cornerback's struggles last season against Texans receiver DeAndre Hopkins. 

"You're going to use any means necessary when you're on the field," Bowles said. "They're going to get under your skin on Sunday. There are things you hear on Sunday that are a billion times worse than that. They both have tools to get under each other's skin, especially when it gets chippy. That's just part of the mess talk." 

Marshall and Revis didn't match up on the field again after Marshall took his swing. But Bowles said that was because Revis, who is recovering from right wrist surgery, was on a pre-planned schedule, as far as his practice reps. 

Of course, if Revis had put up his right arm to defend himself against Marshall's swipe, and Marshall ended up hitting Revis' wrist, that could've been an issue."You don't want to swing at a player regardless of whether he's hurt or not," Bowles said, adding that Revis didn't appear to have any issues with his wrist while jamming Marshall off the line of scrimmage Friday — an encouraging sign as Revis continues to get more reps in practice.  

Remember, Friday was just Revis' second practice since the end of last season in which he got significant team periods action.Bowles, a former NFL safety, said this sort of chippy stuff happens all around the league in August."Everybody gets chippy," he said. "It's nothing to write home about. I don't think it was an outburst [by Marshall]. I think it was two good players going at it, and they talked mess. It got chippy, but it's camp. It's supposed to be." 

Bowles said plenty of players were talking trash on Friday. Not just those two stars. Though Marshall was much louder than all the rest."There was a lot of chippiness going on out there," Bowles said. "You hit each other for enough time, people get frustrated. You like the motivation, you like the spirit of practice, but we're not going to punch anybody. You can talk as much as you want. You're going to get that on Sunday [during games]." 

He isn't worried about Marshall's swing — and his insults hurled at Revis — having a negative impact with his teammates."No, I'm not worried about it at all," Bowles said. "Everybody was talking out there. I don't think you solely leave that exclusive to Brandon." 

>       http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/08/jets_todd_bowles_on_brandon_marshall-darrelle_revi.html#incart_river_index

Mike Maccagnan generally keeps his cards pretty close to his vest, but the Jets GM recently shed some light on the team's longer term cap management strategy and how it could impact Gang Green a year from now. It seems that when Maccagnan went on a major spending spree in his first offseason with the Jets, he kept the 2017 offseason in the back of his mind. "One of the things we did when we came in a year ago was try to bring in talent to help us be a more competitive team, we realized there was a two-year window where we kind of were structuring a lot of the contracts and with that third year (flexible),"

Maccagnan said in a sit down with reporters earlier in training camp. What Maccagnan was noting is that the team has the ability to cut bait on a number of players after the 2016 season based on the structure of their contracts. Specifically: none of David Harris, Marcus Gilchrist, Brandon Marshall and Buster Skrine -- all of whom were acquired and/or signed to new deals last offseason -- have their salaries guaranteed next season, per overthecap.com. That's not to say that the team will want to cut them next offseason, but it means they have the flexibility to take a minimal cap hit should they desire to get rid of any of those veterans. (Note: Skrine's cap hit would be $2.5 million -- not nothing.)

That's not to say the Jets will cut those players, it's just that they could if any of them don't perform well in 2016. In addition: Breno Giacomini, Ryan Clady, Nick Mangold, Erin Henderson, Jarvis Jenkins and Nick Folk could all be cut next year with a minimal cap hit or without one entirely, per overthecap.com. Eric Decker would have a $3 million cap hit to be cut next year and Darrelle Revis would require an $8 million hit to be cut then. Darrelle Revis, Brandon Marshall keep distance at Jets practice Again, the Jets might want to keep some or all of these players, but Maccagnan apparently wanted the opportunity to evaluate his team -- and change course if need be -- after the first two years of his reign.

"It's not as if we were opposed to opening up big player contracts but the less you open up the more flexibility you have going forward and if you decide, again there's always a balance between the short and long term, and the GM’s role," Maccagnan said. "We're trying to be competitive, were trying to go out there and ideally become a playoff caliber team but we also sort of realize as we go forward we sort of analyze what we have and how we're going to manage our roster and manage our cap going forward," the GM added. THE GOOD WITH THE BAD Nine practices into training camp, let's take a look at some of the rookies that have stood out -- in a positive or negative way -- as the team heads into the preseason.

Muhammad Wilkerson can’t wait to return to field for Jets WR Jalin Marshall This undrafted free agent has been a standout in practices so far, catching a lot of passes. If he can keep it up in the games, the Ohio State product should have a pretty decent chance to make the team as the fifth receiver behind Brandon Marshall, Eric Decker, Quincy Enunwa and Kenbrell Thompkins with Devin Smith presumably starting the year on the PUP list. His main competition is probably Jeremy Ross and seventh-round pick Charone Peake. QB Christian Hackenberg So far, Hackenberg's flaws are showing. He's flashed his strong arm on deep throws at times, but his accuracy continues to be a major concern. On Saturday, for example, he dirted back-to-back mediumdistance throws several yards short of his receiver...against air. He has a long way to go. OLB Jordan Jenkins Jenkins has continued to get plenty of first-team reps, so he's a favorite to start at one of the team's two outside linebacker positions.

That's impressive for a rookie. He'll still need to show his abilities against the run in preseason games. CB Juston Burris Burris has a thigh bruise and missed Thursday's practice, but so far he's had a nice showing in training camp. Somewhat of an afterthought in the Jets' draft as a fourth-rounder, Burris has made a number of plays, including the interception of a Ryan Fitzpatrick pass that earned him the right to shave the QB's head. K Ross Martin The rookie kicker out of Duke has certainly demonstrated an ability to hit long-range field goals. Now, he just has to prove he's as accurate as Folk. That's a tough task. Martin is cheaper than Folk, and if the Jets cut the veteran and kept the rookie they would save roughly $1.7 million against the cap. Martin will probably have to prove he's at least as good Folk in order to get the team to want to save the cash, so he still has an uphill climb ahead of him.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/jets-gm-mike-maccagnan-prepared-2017-offseason-article-1.2741993

• 3 weeks later...

The Jets are boring.

Before you think that is a knock, hear me out. This is not a bad thing. The Jets broke training camp Monday. You probably did not notice because this has been the quietest training camp the Jets have had in years.

While Jets rivals like the Bills, Patriots and even the usually quiet crosstown Giants have dealt with rocky summers, the Jets have been cruising along, enjoying their Camp Quiet. The biggest stories of Jets camp have been the minor scuffle between Darrelle Revis and Brandon Marshall and how many quarterbacks the Jets should keep.

That’s right. Jets camp is so dull that we are not debating who the starting quarterback should be. We’re debating who the backup quarterback should be! And, oh yes, whether fourth-stringer Christian Hackenberg is getting enough work in the preseason.

Where have you gone, Tim Tebow ?

This is just what Woody Johnson wanted when he hired the coach/general manager tandem of Todd Bowles and Mike Maccagnan in 2015. He wanted to hire men who would bring him wins, of course, but he also wanted leaders to quiet the noise around the team.

Mission accomplished.

The Jets are now as quiet as a library on a Saturday night.Up the road, old friend Rex Ryan has had a brutal training camp filled with key injuries and suspensions. In New England, the Patriots are dealing with injuries to Dion Lewis and Sebastian Vollmer and have the Tom Brady suspension looming. In East Rutherford, the Giants are now fielding questions about how they handled kicker Josh Brown after domestic violence allegations surfaced.

Meanwhile, Bowles fields another question about Hackenberg’s playing time.The quiet means fewer back pages, but does it mean more wins? Only time will tell, but having a summer like this can’t hurt. The Jets have been able to concentrate on football with no distractions popping up. When is the last time you could say that? Camp chaos even predated Rex. In the summer of 2008, the team brought in quarterback Brett Favre the day before the preseason opener, making that a crazy training camp.

The following season featured the arrival of Ryan as carnival barker and rookie quarterback Mark Sanchez.

The “Hard Knocks” cameras captured all of the fun of 2010, including the Revis holdout.

In 2011, Jets players made boasts every day about how far that team would go with Plaxico Burress, Santonio Holmes and Derrick Mason promising to light up scoreboards. The team went 8-8.Tebow stole the show in 2012 with ESPN’s cameras seemingly everywhere to document the worst experiment since New Coke.The camps of 2013 and 2014 featured more quarterback drama with Sanchez and Geno Smith facing off in ’13 and then the great non-competition competition of 2014 between Smith and Michael Vick.

Last year, in Bowles’ first season as coach, it was quiet until IK Enemkpali started throwing haymakers.But this year the drama was over before camp began. Maccagnan made sure of that when he signed Muhammad Wilkerson to a long-term dealin mid-July and then locked up Ryan Fitzpatrick just minutes before the first meeting of training camp.

Since then, the Jets have been about as exciting as PBS.The problem for many of those Jets teams that had exciting summers was the disappointing falls that followed them. Maybe for these Jets a sleepy summer will lead to a fantastic fall and a winning winter.

>      http://nypost.com/2016/08/23/jets-new-era-is-quietly-here-the-embarrassing-circus-is-over/

• 2 weeks later...

Jets notebook: Team doing some unconventional roster tweaking

Looking at their wide receiver depth chart, New York went with a youth movement to balance out the veteran starters, Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker.   

Rookie receivers Robby Anderson, Jalin Marshall, and Charone Peake made the Jets’ 53-man roster — a somewhat surprising move considering their collective lack of experience. But the trio showed considerable promise in practice and during the preseason, giving the front office reason to believe in their potential.And if they all develop, the Jets will have created a nice bridge between the current star receivers and the hopeful star wideouts of tomorrow. Marshall could have the most immediate impact of the rookie trio, as he’s the current favorite to return punts and kickoffs. Anderson, who went undrafted, led the Jets with 13 catches for 264 yards and three touchdowns in the preseason. And Peake has caught the eyes of starting quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick.      

In keeping the three youngsters, the Jets chose to release veteran receivers Kenbrell Thompkins and Jeremy Ross.  

The retaining of the three rookies also spelled doomed for tight end Jace Amaro. The former second-round pick was never fully embraced by the new regime, which ran out of patience on the one-dimensional player. Amaro, who was claimed by the Tennessee Titans, set all kinds of receiving records at Texas Tech in their spread offense, and racked up numerous national awards, but it never translated on the field for the Jets. And even when he got on the field, he rarely took his hands with him. Couple the drops and mental mistakes with lackluster blocking, and it’s easy to see why Bowles and co. decided to give his roster spot to one of the budding wideouts.   

The Jets’ quarterbacks room will also have a unique feel, as they expectedly kept second-year pro Bryce Petty, despite his shoulder ailment. That gives Gang Green four quarterbacks on the roster. Petty will remain the third-stringer on a depth chart that includes Fitzpatrick, backup Geno Smith, and rookie Christian Hackenberg. Bowles said he never thought of putting Petty on injured reserve after his right (throwing) shoulder injury in the preseason finale, which means the Jets will be doing something that no other franchise has done in the past three years, keeping four signal callers on its active 53-man roster.  

But by keeping Petty, the Jets might’ve done a savvy thing by potentially setting themselves up for the present (Fitzpatrick and Smith, both in the final years of their deals), with a future of two promising prospects in the wings.The former Baylor star’s injury wasn’t deemed too serious, which is why the Jets will afford themselves the luxury of keeping their project – a project, coincidentally, that preceded this year’s project in Hackenberg. 

The neophyte signal callers, along with the rookie wideouts, are among a handful of projects to be kept aboard. Former first-round pick Dee Milliner, however, wasn’t afforded that same grace. Milliner was waived/injured after a hamstring malady held him back – not to mention his play held him back, as well.    

Bowles and general manager Mike Maccagnan are showing that while this team is in win-now mode, they’re also keeping a keen eye on the future with some curious, if not possibly high-reward moves. 

Gang Green notes:

- The Jets placed right tackle Breno Giacomini (back) on the reserve/Physically Unable to Report list (PUP). That leaves either Ben Ijalana or Brent Qvale as the likely starter on opening day. Both offer different skill sets, as Qvale is steadier, if not spectacular, while Ijalana is the more athletic player who can get to the second level of a defense with more ease.   

- The waiver wire order was the same as the recent NFL Draft, which meant the Jets were slotted 20th on the claim order.

- Another cornerback dealing with hamstring issues, Dexter McDougle, was also waived. It’s a somewhat startling move considering he was a recent third-round pick (2014).

- Running back Khiry Robinson (leg) was also placed on waivers/injured. He cleared waivers, meaning he’s now a free agent. 

>     http://www.metro.us/new-york/jets-notebook-team-doing-some-unconventional-roster-tweaking/zsJpie---MiWfjoaaHAyx6/

I'd guess they choose Qvale ... Steady at RT over potential ...any of you catch info lately leading you to believe 1 guy over the other vs. Cincy?

the comment about the McDougal cut being surprising just shows the author has no idea what they're talking about.

wonder if Khiry Robinson could be an option again next year ... Will be interesting to see how the older guys & the scat back just brought in hold up this year. ... Liked what I saw of Khiry so far though

I like what I see so far. Clearly this regime is light years ahead of the one that hired Tony Soprano to run an offense that scored 0 Td's in an entire PS, drafted Dee Milliner  with a high first round pick (ahead of Sheldon Richardson btw), basically traded Darelle Revis to NE LOL where of course, well we all know what happened. Oh and lets us not forget the 201 wasted 10 draft picks in 2014 and on and on.

I expect nothing short of playoffs this season in order to qualify their having done an "amazing" job.

He is Punxsutawney Phil with a cup of coffee in his hands. Now that his work is done, he’ll disappear for a few months before hopefully re-emerging with some good news.

Mike Maccagnan’s heavy lifting is over. He has unofficially handed over the reins of this billion-dollar outfit to Todd Bowles with a roster that must be good enough to contend for the playoffs this season.

“For the most part,” Bowles said Monday in the run-up to the Jets regular-season opener against the Bengals this weekend, “I’m happy.”

It’s been Groundhog Day around these parts for five years. Begin season. Playseason. Lament season after missing the playoffs.

Maccagnan doesn’t deserve bouquets, but he should be commended for assembling a quality, albeit unconventional 53-man roster. The Jets are in “competitive rebuild” mode, which is a fancy-schmancy way of saying that they’re trying to set a foundation for the future, while cleaning up a two-year-old mess created by Maccagnan’s predecessor.

There’s no time for a complete tear-down, so the general manager is trying to patch holes and unearth gems one expresso at a time. The roster is, um, interesting.

How many win-now teams have 12 rookies that make up 23% of the roster? How many playoff contenders carry four quarterbacks and four tight ends (yes, four tight ends) entering the season? (The Jets will almost certainly cut at least one of those tight ends a week from now).

How many playoff threats have three rookie wide receivers (two of whom were undrafted) on the 53? How many top-flight teams still don’t know who theirstarting right tackle will be less than a week before the start of the season?

This roster is far from a Picasso, but Maccagnan and his scouting inner circle have found some promising young players to complement a veteran core ready to make the postseason.

“It’s a tricky thing,” Bowles said of the inordinate number of rookies on his roster. “You got to have a good mix of old and young guys. I’ve played young guys when I was a DB coach wherever I’ve been. But these guys made plays. They made plays in the preseason. They earned their right on the team.

They showed it every day in practice and they showed it in games, so you got to reward guys that do that. Hopefully, they continue to grow and get better. So it wasn’t that hard deciding who would make the team.”

Maccagnan and Bowles made the wise choice to keep four quarterbacks. Their present or future was never going to hinge on keeping a developmental lineman or linebacker or cornerback destined to be inactive all season. “It worked out just fine,” Bowles said of retaining the quartet of signal callers.

Maccagnan, however, has been far from perfect this offseason. Bowles probably could have used an immediate contributor with the team’s second-round  draft pick rather than a second developmental quarterback, who won’t take a snap all season.

Maccagnan has started to transform the roster to his liking by cleansing the organization from the stench of John Idzik’s draft picks. Only six of Idzik’s 19 selections in 2013 and 2014 remain on the active roster, a reflection of the slop churned out by the previous regime.

“You don’t get rid of players because a new regime comes in,” Bowles said. “You get rid of players because you don’t think they fit your system. I’ll take a bunch of Rex’s players. I’ll take Herm’s players. Hell, if Bill (Parcells) had players left, I’ll take Bill’s players…. You watch (who) fits your scheme and fits what you want to do and you keep the guys that fit.”

Well, most of Idzik’s guys couldn’t play.

Bowles underscored the importance of finding “the right 53” over “the best 53” all summer, mindful that some of the players in camp could find successelsewhere.

“You might have a pass catcher who is a tight end or H-(back) that doesn’t fit what you do, but you know in another scheme, he’ll be perfect,” Bowles said. “You can’t get a football player out of college (who’s) a Cover-2 corner (if) you’re a man team… That’s not a knock against the players that were let go. That just means that they didn’t fit what we were trying to do.”

Maccagnan believes that he’s found the right fits for his coach this year. I’m not waving any green-and-white pom-poms just yet, but a hearty golf clap is in order. 

>     http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/mike-maccagnan-unconvential-jets-roster-bowles-hands-article-1.2779152

-- Say this for Todd Bowles: He knows how to manage expectations. His method is pretty basic: He refuses to acknowledge them.

Unless like his brash predecessor, Rex Ryan, who liked to feed his team's confidence by focusing on the destination, Bowles prefers to emphasize the journey. He lives in a week-to-week world, avoiding playoff talk (heresy!) and Super Bowl dreaming (a mortal sin). His demeanor has trickled down to theNew York Jets' locker room and up to the owner's box.It was almost funny on Wednesday to hear Woody Johnson's measuredresponses when asked about his hopes for the season. The billionaire owner stuck to the company line even though he owns the company and can say and do whatever he wants. He has a $168 million cash payroll, fourth-highest in the NFL (according to overthecap.com), but he wasn't about to deliver a money headline.

Call it the power of Bowles. Apparently, it's the same way behind closed doors.

"He gives insight and we talk about the team in general, but we don't talk about expectations that way," Bowles said of Johnson. "We know what the expectations are."

What are they?

"To win," the coach said matter-of-factly.

That covers a lot of territory, but we all know the stakes for the 2016 Jets: It's playoffs or bust. How could it be anything less? They came within a couple of plays of making the playoffs last season (we see you smiling, Rex), so it would be foolish to expect anything less.The Jets have a smart, solid, balanced team that should absolutely contend for a playoff spot if they stay healthy at key positions, and it's on Bowles to get it done. It's his team, his time.Ryan may have embarrassed the organization at times with some of his outlandish comments, but the record shows he reached the postseason in each of his first two seasons -- and twice almost made it to the Super Bowl. His predecessor, Eric Mangini, made the playoffs in his first season, as did the man before him, Herm Edwards.

Bowles broke the trend.

Now they're in an interminable playoff drought -- five years, the longest spell since 1992 to 1997. They have a win-now team, with 10 starters at least 30 years old and a starting quarterback on a one-year contract. No one will admit it publicly, lest they defy the Bowles doctrine, but there's a now-or-never vibe in the locker room. These players know the deal; they know the window is closing.

On Wednesday, Brandon Marshall gave his "I-just-want-to-win" speech to reporters, claiming he doesn't care about individual stats or making SportsCenter with highlight plays. He wants to win because he's never made the playoffs in his 1o-year career -- a massive void -- and believes this team has potential."We control our own destiny," he said. "It’s a really talented team. Talent can only make you smart. The thing I’m excited about is how smart we are. If we play up to our potential, we'll be in every single ball game."Asked if there's a playoffs-or-bust mentality in the locker room, Marshall walked back his optimism a bit, shifting into cliche mode. Can't go there, can't talk about the playoffs. That's not the Bowles way.

"I will say that our expectations and our goals are extremely high," Marshall said, finally.

From outspoken wide receiver to the understated owner, the Jets stayed in their lane, refusing to fuel any hype. You can't fault Bowles for his approach. Winning sells better than yapping about it, but his way still requires validation. And there's only one way to get it.

Make the playoffs.

>      http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/62952/jets-coach-todd-bowles-speaks-softly-carries-a-big-burden-a-playoff-slump

On 12/31/2015 at 7:29 PM, New York Mick said:

I'll wait four or five years before I get to thrilled. The same thing has happened with a  new coach/GM  then turned to sh*t. 

Cant say it any clearer.

The same predictions of greatness were being said with Herm "You play to win the game", Mangenious and Sexy Rexy.

Some of Mike Maccagnan’s best work as Jets GM has come via trades.

In 2015, he traded late-round picks for wide receiver Brandon Marshall and quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick.

Marshall set a Jets record with 14 touchdown catches and Fitzpatrick threw 31 TD passes, also a team mark. Both were big reasons why the Jets went 10-6 last season.This spring, after the retirement of long-time left tackle D’Brickashaw Ferguson, Maccagnan sent a fifth-round pick to Denver for Ryan Clady.

It looks like Maccagnan has struck gold again.

Clady looked superb in training camp.Just ask the Jets’ outside linebackers who were consistently locked down by the left tackle throughout the summer. Ryan Fitzpatrick rarely felt any blindside pressure in camp.There were big questions about Clady upon his arrival at One Jets Drive in March. After all, he's had myriad health issues in recent years. Clady missed all of last season after tearing his left ACL in OTA’s. A Lisfranc sprain to his left foot ended his 2013 season in Week Two.

So he’s essentially missed two of the last three seasons.And let’s not forget, aside from the aforementioned major injuries, earlier in Clady’s NFL career, he dealt with a torn labrum and a patella tendon injury, which both required surgery. He missed no time due to these injuries.

But Clady, who has made four Pro Bowls, looked like his old self throughout the summer, displaying thefreakish athleticism for a 6-6, 315-pounder, which has been his calling card since his days at Boise State.

Even after all those injuries, the 2008 first-round pick of the Broncos, still has the feet of a dancing bear.But this isn’t a guy who just gets by with great athleticism. Jets outside linebackers rave about his amazing technique, especially how skillful he is with his hands.So if Clady can stay healthy, the Jets look in good shape at left tackle. There should be no drop-off from Ferguson to Clady.

This is good news for the Jets who have some concerns on the right side, where last year’s starter, Breno Giacomini, will start the season on the PUP list with a back injury.The Jets platooned reserves Brent Qvale and Ben Ijalana at the spot in camp and the preseason. Who starts in the Jets' opener against the Bengals still hasn’t been announced, and the platoon could continue into the season.

Qvale, an undrafted free agent out of Nebraska in 2014, was on the Jets' practice squad as a rookie, and on the regular roster last year. He’s your typical corn-fed Nebraska lineman with top-shelf toughness and technique. Ijalana, a second-round pick of the Indianapolis Colts in 2011, has also been with the Jets since 2014. A left tackle by trade, he is more athletic and lighter on his feet than Qvale. Both players had solid training camps.

So keep a close eye on the Jets' offensive tackle positions entering the season. There are a lot of question marks.But it looks like Clady has the potential to be a lock-down left tackle once again, if he can stay healthy.

>      http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football/ryan-clady-looks-like-another-trade-win-for-new-york/article_c93e0b4a-e05f-570c-809b-9f747a93b1ad.html

• 3 weeks later...

It’s early enough in the season that we don’t quite know exactly what some teams will turn out to be come the final weeks of the year and the Jets have to hope that they wind up looking more like the team that won in Buffalo in Week Two than the one that lost in Kansas City in Week Three.They don’t have much time to ruminate on the topic before the Seahawks are in town and then it is on to road games in Pittsburgh and Arizona with the 1-2 Jets’ margin for error slimmer after their eight-turnover disaster against the Chiefs. Of course, a margin for error won’t matter much at all if that outing turns out to be who the Jets are this season.

That wouldn’t be a good look for coach Todd Bowles, who started off this week with a speech to his team that tried to get them moving forward after a bad loss.

“Every time you lose like that, you have to have a come-to-Jesus meeting,” Bowles said in comments distributed by the team. “We talked about accountability and just understanding where we are in the season and who we are and what we need to be, pretty much. … Throughout the course of the season, there will be a bunch of turning points. It’s not going to be the last time we face adversity. There are going to be several times down the road where we face adversity. We just have to learn from our mistakes.”

Bowles didn’t delve into specifics about what the Jets might do differently moving forward, but the broad strokes are obvious enough for a team that has looked pretty good over the last two seasons when they aren’t handing the ball to the opposition.

>            http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/09/27/jets-have-a-come-to-jesus-meeting-on-monday/

The honeymoon is over for Todd Bowles

With his team sitting at 1-3, critics have opened fire on the Jets' second-year head coach. And, truthfully, it's a little hard to blame them. Through the first quarter of the season, opponents have regularly outplayed the Jets, and Bowles has been out-coached more times than not. The team resembles little of the one that won 10 games a season ago. 

Which got NJ Advance Media thinking: Do the Jets really look that much worse, or are they just playing better competition ?

So, we took a look. The findings? Interesting, to say the least. 

Since being hired by the Jets in February of 2015, Bowles has coached 20 games — 16 in 2015, and another four this year. In those games, he has an 11-9 cumulative record. We broke down each game in three tiers: 

- Victories/losses against teams that finished with or presently have winning records. 

- Victories/losses against teams that finished with or presently have losing records.

- Victories/losses against teams that finished with or presently have .500 records.

What we found is that while Bowles' 11-9 mark looks good on paper, the teams he beat aren't exactly the cream of the crop.Bowles' Jets have topped just two teams that finished with or presently have a winning record — the New England Patriots and Washington Redskins in 2015. They have two additional wins against teams that finished with a .500 record — the Buffalo Bills this season (2-2) and Indianapolis Colts (8-8) last year. 

Seven of Bowles' 11 victories have come against teams with losing records, all last season — Browns, Dolphins (twice), Jaguars, Giants, Titans, Cowboys. The combined record of those teams? 33-79.

Here's a look at the exact numbers :

• 2-3 vs. teams with winning record
    • 7-2 vs. teams with losing records
    • 2-4 vs. teams with a .500 record

Now, this isn't a knock on Bowles. After all, he can only play the teams on the Jets' schedule, and last year, the team played an awful lot of duds. Just four of the Jets' opponents finished the year above .500.This year, though, has been a different story. The Jets opened the year with murderers' row — Bengals (loss), Bills (win), Chiefs (loss), Seahawks (loss), Steelers (Week 5), Cardinals (Week 6).

Excluding the Bills, every one of those teams not only qualified for the playoffs last season, but advanced to the second round. At least to this point, the Jets haven't raised their level of play.While things do get easier for the Jets after Week 6 — the Patriots are the only team they play who made the playoffs in 2015 — those games won't mean anything if they start the year 1-5.And to avoid such a start, they're going to have to beat two good teams in the Steelers (3-1) and Cardinals (1-3). 

Can they ? Well, history isn't in their favor. 

>        http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/10/is_jets_todd_bowles_struggling_against_teams_with.html#incart_river_index

Archived