Mario Williams to be cut

slowmoe57

He didn't decide to return until into March I think, and his own mother basically said it was because Parcells wouldn't commit to drafting him (before Peyton & Dad later claimed he was returning all along, but then people definitely returning don't keep the team and fans waiting for an announcement for >2 months). There were places he didn't want to end up (like Eli wi San Diego 7 years later, stemming from Archie wasting his career in NO). Parcells didn't want him because he'd said from day one he was only coaching here for 3 years so taking the first, the first two, or all 3 of those years, to break in a rookie QB - one who would be skipping his senior season no less - wasn't on his agenda of instant team turnaround. Parcells and Archie we're buddies; if he told them - right after coaching NE to the Super Bowl - he was 100% going to take Peyton #1 he wasn't returning to Tennessee to risk permanent injury playing for free, where he still couldn't know where he'd end up a year later. 

Sperm Edwards----- "Investigative Reporter":Typotux:

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He didn't decide to return until into March I think, and his own mother basically said it was because Parcells wouldn't commit to drafting him (before Peyton & Dad later claimed he was returning all along, but then people definitely returning don't keep the team and fans waiting for an announcement for >2 months). There were places he didn't want to end up (like Eli wi San Diego 7 years later, stemming from Archie wasting his career in NO). Parcells didn't want him because he'd said from day one he was only coaching here for 3 years so taking the first, the first two, or all 3 of those years, to break in a rookie QB - one who would be skipping his senior season no less - wasn't on his agenda of instant team turnaround. Parcells and Archie we're buddies; if he told them - right after coaching NE to the Super Bowl - he was 100% going to take Peyton #1 he wasn't returning to Tennessee to risk permanent injury playing for free, where he still couldn't know where he'd end up a year later. 

Archie wanted to dictate where his son would go, wanted desperately to be sure that he didn't go to NO.  But it wasnt that Parcells didn't want him or was only there for the short term, it was that Parcells was honest, wouldnt guarantee that there wasnt a trade he would turn down out there.  He couldnt guarantee, rightfully so that if someone came around with a over the top incredible deal that he wouldnt take it.  Scared Archie off and he had Peyton stay another year at Tenn

Let's bring this back to the Jets, tho. With Williams gone, Rex would like nothing better than to raid the Jets for some of his old players. With Wilkerson looking for a new deal, what do you think the Bills will do with their new cap space???

Let's bring this back to the Jets, tho. With Williams gone, Rex would like nothing better than to raid the Jets for some of his old players. With Wilkerson looking for a new deal, what do you think the Bills will do with their new cap space???

#1....  you don't want to rehash history from 15 yrs. ago?

#2 ... The Jets will Tag Mo and either work out a deal or choose where he is traded to. Won't let him get away for only a 3rd round compensatory pick.

#3..... Happy New Year!!

Does this mean Dareus is perturbed at the deterioration of the Rex/Williams Bromance??

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- Defensive end Jerry Hughes and defensive tackleMarcell Dareus were not spotted at the start of Friday's New Years Day practice, the Buffalo Bills' final practice of their 2015 season.

However, Hughes was on the practice field at the end of practice and Dareus was listed on the injury report as a full participant with a neck injury.

So what happened?

"Initially we had a little issue," coach Rex Ryan said. "We had a little issue -- I'm not going to get into it -- but we're calling one of our players the UPS guy. He delivered the goods. We had to send him to go pick someone [up]."

Was it Hughes who picked up Dareus?

"I don't know," a coy Ryan said, smiling. "But we got the package here. ... I'm not going to get into specifics. But yeah, it was ... we had to scramble a little bit this morning."

About six inches of snow fell Friday morning in the area around Ralph Wilson Stadium. Approached in the locker room, Hughes said he did not pick up Dareus and bring him to practice. Teammate Boobie Dixon, however, told a different story.

"I think Jerry went and picked him up," Dixon said in the locker room after practice. "I think he was outside building a snowman or something. He got caught up in the snow. But he made it."

Dareus had problems with being late to the team facility at the end of the 2013 season, leading to former coach Doug Marrone benching the Pro Bowl defensive tackle for the first quarter of their Week 16 win over the Miami Dolphins that season and then again for the first half of their 2013 finale against the New England Patriots.

This is bad news. He will be playing like a beast to keep/earn a contract. Basically just became the last game of a contract year for him.

or he'll try and not get hurt playing for a team that doesn't give 2 sh*ts about him and let the rest of his career do the talking

#1....  you don't want to rehash history from 15 yrs. ago?

#2 ... The Jets will Tag Mo and either work out a deal or choose where he is traded to. Won't let him get away for only a 3rd round compensatory pick.

#3..... Happy New Year!!

happy New Year to all my fellow Jets fans. Hoping this year won't suck like the last four years of Rex Ryan's tenure

Does this mean Dareus is perturbed at the deterioration of the Rex/Williams Bromance??

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- Defensive end Jerry Hughes and defensive tackleMarcell Dareus were not spotted at the start of Friday's New Years Day practice, the Buffalo Bills' final practice of their 2015 season.

However, Hughes was on the practice field at the end of practice and Dareus was listed on the injury report as a full participant with a neck injury.

So what happened?

"Initially we had a little issue," coach Rex Ryan said. "We had a little issue -- I'm not going to get into it -- but we're calling one of our players the UPS guy. He delivered the goods. We had to send him to go pick someone [up]."

"I don't know," a coy Ryan said, smiling. "But we got the package here. ... I'm not going to get into specifics. But yeah, it was ... we had to scramble a little bit this morning."

About six inches of snow fell Friday morning in the area around Ralph Wilson Stadium. Approached in the locker room, Hughes said he did not pick up Dareus and bring him to practice. Teammate Boobie Dixon, however, told a different story.

"I think Jerry went and picked him up," Dixon said in the locker room after practice. "I think he was outside building a snowman or something. He got caught up in the snow. But he made it."

Dareus had problems with being late to the team facility at the end of the 2013 season, leading to former coach Doug Marrone benching the Pro Bowl defensive tackle for the first quarter of their Week 16 win over the Miami Dolphins that season and then again for the first half of their 2013 finale against the New England Patriots.

This is not good news for the Bills.  This is essentially a meaningless game, and still Rex won't discipline players for missing a meeting/practice for 'playing in the snow'; why would the rest of the team play hard for this guy? Funny, when Mo was late he was disciplined and nobody knew anything about the incident before the fact.

This is not good news for the Bills.  This is essentially a meaningless game, and still Rex won't discipline players for missing a meeting/practice for 'playing in the snow'; why would the rest of the team play hard for this guy? Funny, when Mo was late he was disciplined and nobody knew anything about the incident before the fact.

This is the part that shows me Rex has no control over himself. He can't control his tongue. He says he he won't go into details of what happened, but then he goes into detail about what happened. Pretty much sells out his player. Somethings never change!

Archie wanted to dictate where his son would go, wanted desperately to be sure that he didn't go to NO.  But it wasnt that Parcells didn't want him or was only there for the short term, it was that Parcells was honest, wouldnt guarantee that there wasnt a trade he would turn down out there.  He couldnt guarantee, rightfully so that if someone came around with a over the top incredible deal that he wouldnt take it.  Scared Archie off and he had Peyton stay another year at Tenn

Yes. Therefore if Parcells - who is friends with Archie - said he would definitely take him then Peyton comes out and he's a Jet. Parcells used to say we weren't one player away that's why he kept trading down (getting fleeced at every trade down in the process). He was trading down no matter what, even if the top trade offer sucked.

Parcells was clearly not taking him, to then break in another rookie QB, the main difference between this one and the last one being a weaker arm and less experience in skipping his senior season. And getting Peyton's lumps in would piss away the first 1-3 years of a 3 year gig.

I give Williams a lot of credit. It takes most people years to see the real Rex Ryan as the fraud that he is. It took Williams less than a season.

nah

sheldumb is playing out of position, but he is ok with it publicly because the jets are wining.  these guys know stats = cash, so when you take their stats away you better be winning

Just arrived in Buffalo and heard Williams situation being discussed during the drive.  Local reporter said players told him off the record that Williams "checked out" and has been "giving zero percent" for quite some time now.

Not so sure if I'd give him $13 million either if that's the case.

Just arrived in Buffalo and heard Williams situation being discussed during the drive.  Local reporter said players told him off the record that Williams "checked out" and has been "giving zero percent" for quite some time now.

Not so sure if I'd give him $13 million either if that's the case.

I heard that too.  Also just last week,  Sammy Watkins was talking about the team having to work together.  I think he was also referring to Williams.

Yes. Therefore if Parcells - who is friends with Archie - said he would definitely take him then Peyton comes out and he's a Jet. Parcells used to say we weren't one player away that's why he kept trading down (getting fleeced at every trade down in the process). He was trading down no matter what, even if the top trade offer sucked.

Parcells was clearly not taking him, to then break in another rookie QB, the main difference between this one and the last one being a weaker arm and less experience in skipping his senior season. And getting Peyton's lumps in would piss away the first 1-3 years of a 3 year gig.

But how could he?  What happens if he was offered a Ricky Williams type trade?  If he go the normal type offers he wouldn't have traded out of the spot.  But he couldn't tell his friend that under no circumstances would he not trade out of 1.  

There is absolutely no proof or indication that if Peyton came out and Parcells wasn't offered the house that he wouldn't have taken Peyton.  Or that he refused to pick a player that didn't have immediate benefits to the team.  Yes he said he needed more over one, but that wasn't in response to Peyton.  He just couldnt make a guarantee.  I get that.  Remember the legend of Peyton has made people swear that he was a cant miss, no one wouldnt take him pick back then.  He was a gold chip prospect but not to the  degree people are making him today with the knowledge of what he became.  But who knows, wish we would have had a choice.

Parcells traded down because there was nothing that was cant miss at the top of that draft and he wanted quantity because we had so many wholes to fill.  His idea was great, his execution not so great.  He wound up with a lot of special team types,  solidifying the idea that he was a great coach who sucked as a GM.  

But how could he?  What happens if he was offered a Ricky Williams type trade?  If he go the normal type offers he wouldn't have traded out of the spot.  But he couldn't tell his friend that under no circumstances would he not trade out of 1.  

There is absolutely no proof or indication that if Peyton came out and Parcells wasn't offered the house that he wouldn't have taken Peyton.  Or that he refused to pick a player that didn't have immediate benefits to the team.  Yes he said he needed more over one, but that wasn't in response to Peyton.  He just couldnt make a guarantee.  I get that.  Remember the legend of Peyton has made people swear that he was a cant miss, no one wouldnt take him pick back then.  He was a gold chip prospect but not to the  degree people are making him today with the knowledge of what he became.

Parcells traded down because there was nothing that was cant miss at the top of that draft and he wanted quantity because we had so many wholes to fill.  His idea was great, his execution not so great.  He wound up with a lot of special team types,  solidifying the idea that he was a great coach who sucked as a GM.  

everybody loved Pace, but parcells had jumbo so he took a LB the jets walked away from and a bag of jags.  his first 2 drafts for the jets yielded 3 starters in 23 picks, one of them a 7th rounder

his groceries were gross

There is absolutely no proof or indication that if Peyton came out and Parcells wasn't offered the house that he wouldn't have taken Peyton.  Or that he refused to pick a player that didn't have immediate benefits to the team.  Yes he said he needed more over one, but that wasn't in response to Peyton.  He just couldnt make a guarantee.  I get that.  Remember the legend of Peyton has made people swear that he was a cant miss, no one wouldnt take him pick back then.  He was a gold chip prospect but not to the  degree people are making him today with the knowledge of what he became.

The Tuna said he would coach for 3 years no way was he going to draft a rookie QB with the number 1 pick..

everybody loved Pace, but parcells had jumbo so he took a LB the jets walked away from and a bag of jags.  his first 2 drafts for the jets yielded 3 starters in 23 picks, one of them a 7th rounder

his groceries were gross

His picks were awful, forgot about Pace, thanks.  Thats the one he passed on to get multiple picks back in the draft.  

The Tuna said he would coach for 3 years no way was he going to draft a rookie QB with the number 1 pick..

Well thats a nice guess but really noting more, if that.  I get it follows the script and makes sense but he's said and others said he just wouldn't guarantee the pick wouldnt be traded under the right circumstances.

But I guess we'll never know 100% what he would have done if Peyton came out

Well thats a nice guess but really noting more, if that.  I get it follows the script and makes sense but he's said and others said he just wouldn't guarantee the pick wouldnt be traded under the right circumstances

What guess the Tuna said he was going to coach for 3 years and did?? I agree he wouldn't guarantee the pick. BTW Peytons Mom said he waited to hear from the Tuna before his college started practice and when he didn't he went back to school..

Great how we've gone from the narrative of "Rex never got given the talent" to "the talent doesn't buy into Rex's system".

So, he can only win if he's given the right talent AND the talent likes him and believes in him ... anything else?? The list of excuses is getting longer.

And it's even funnier how 1999 Peyton Manning went like 13-3 I believe in year 2, so 98 would have been year 2, and the 99, and 00 Jets were built to win a Super Bowl, and I doubt Belichick turns down the job either when Bill stepped down.

What guess the Tuna said he was going to coach for 3 years and did?? I agree he wouldn't guarantee the pick. BTW Peytons Mom said he waited to hear from the Tuna before his college started practice and when he didn't he went back to school..

So because he said he was coaching only 3 years that actually means, beyond a shadow of a doubt he wouldn't do what was best for the organization and pick a franchise QB?  Or is it a guess?  I said nothing about guessing what his intentions were in regards to coaching.   The plan was put out there from day 1.  Parcells for 3 and Belichick would take over after he stepped down.  Unless someone, Parcells specifically or someone in the know, comes out and says he wouldn't pick him because he wouldnt benefit from the pick we dont know.  Thats what I meant by guessing

And for what its worth when Hess died and Woody took over Mr. 3 and done did tell Woody he would stay on.  For $8 mil per, really crazy money back then :mellow:

There is absolutely no proof or indication that if Peyton came out and Parcells wasn't offered the house that he wouldn't have taken Peyton.  Or that he refused to pick a player that didn't have immediate benefits to the team.  Yes he said he needed more over one, but that wasn't in response to Peyton.  He just couldnt make a guarantee.  I get that.  Remember the legend of Peyton has made people swear that he was a cant miss, no one wouldnt take him pick back then.  He was a gold chip prospect but not to the  degree people are making him today with the knowledge of what he became.  But who knows, wish we would have had a choice.

Manning was not only a "gold chip" prospect but he was also the only one in the 1997 draft, on the heels of a shitty QB draft class in 1996, and looking ahead to 1998, well Leaf was just a sophomore in '96 so who knew if he would come out after the '97 season or if he'd even get any better.

If a 20-21 year old "it" QB prospect wants to play for you the future HOF coach; his one-time great NFL QB and buddy of yours wants him to go to you; plus all you have is Glenn Foley and a massively overpaid, cap-busting Neil O'Donnell to turn around the rebuild of a 1-15 team, you turn down a Ricky Williams trade offer. It is clear from his actions in his draft trades that year (and inactions with Manning) Parcells would have jumped at less than half the compensation of a Ricky Williams trade offer if that's the best offer he got.

Parcells would not have taken Manning because he couldn't have done nearly as quick a turnaround. He would have traded the pick away to the highest bidder, no matter what that bid was. He got fleeced trade after trade that year like our draft picks were fire sale items. No one has gotten such poor trade value for trading in the top 5-6 (not to mention #1 overall) since then. What did we get for trading from #1 down to #6? A few mid and late rd picks? He didn't care because he viewed the draft as a crapshoot, so in his eyes quantity>>>quality and trade value be damned.

As much as he viewed things that way it was compounded that much further with the Jets getting docked their 3rd and 4th round picks in '97 (and then 1st + 2nd rounders in the 2 years after that) for Parcells coming here in the first place. His presumed idea is if a solid draft nets at least 3 solid players he's got a better chance of hitting on 3 out of 11 than 3 out of 5.

It's ancient history, so it's not something I come back to a lot, but there was no way Parcells was taking Manning precisely because he viewed him as trade bait not a good, instant starter QB. Everything Tuna did and said pointed to his desire for a quick changing of the guard in the AFC East to instantly look like a genius and to stick it to Kraft asap before quitting after 3 seasons. Taking a rookie QB - a junior rookie QB - was not the fast way to get there. 

It is ridiculous that there was nothing "can't miss" at the top of that draft. That wasn't nearly the feeling at the time; there just weren't any can't miss QBs once Manning pulled out. There were a half dozen blue-chip prospects even after Peyton declined and that is not hindsight stuff. Everyone knew the players from 1-6 were top notch "sure thing" type prospects you wouldn't find in the middle of the round (let alone in rounds 2-7). There were other talented players but they all had question marks, from Tony Gonzalez & Warrick Dunn on down.

Archived