Broken Leg For Wilkerson

Maxman

Well at least a clean break of a leg is often better than a ligament injury, as it can fully heal.  Hopefully that is the case here.

Regardless I think Wilkerson should get franchised.

Agree though that even before he injury he wasn't doing much today.  He's not a JJ Watt type for sure.

agree with all of this

He got hurt?  I didn't realize he played today.biggest game of season and he once again fails to make a big play in a big spot. God forbid he get a sack in 1st half on a big 3rd down.  The elite d linemen make their impacts felt in these games.  Mo rarely does.  

He ain't worth jj watt type money.  

Uh, he made several plays today.  Oh, he didn't get a specific stat, so he must not have shown up?

I spoke with David Chao who does nfl injury information mostly for fantasy.  From what he knows it's  a lower leg/high ankle fracture.  Will require surgery. However he said it won't affect his Free Agency price most likely. Full recovery time for this type of break and recovery is 6 months which means him missing minimal time in training camp.  They can actually give him more time to heal.  If he gets surgery right away any team (jets included) would see him after a few months of recovery and would likely see no issue with signing him long term and paying his full price (especially with other teams bidding up). 

Good news for Wilk although i was selfishly hoping it might bring down his price. 

IMO he is one of the top D lineman in the league. How could you say he is replaceable when he has over half of the teams sacks and is stellar against the run? This team doesn't get enough sacks and you want to take away their top sack guy?

wait... I have a BRILLIANT IDEA let's let our best defensive player walk on over to the patriots for a first round draft pick.  Then once he's gone we'll sit back and let them take the division and another Super Bowl title.  

Uh, he made several plays today.  Oh, he didn't get a specific stat, so he must not have shown up?

Sure he makes some solid plays in the running game. He is a very solid Dlineman, just like Richardson/Snacks/Williams. I like them all. But if you want to be considered elite, you better get a sack, cause a fumble, tackle someone for a loss if you want to get paid the money he wants. I'd just as soon stick with the other 3 and spend the Wilk money on an edge pass rusher. 

Does anybody actually know if a broken leg ever completely heals 100% ?  Or how likely a full recovery is from an injury like that ?  I've torn a ligament in my ankle before and I know ligament tears are usually worse than broken bones....

Depending on where it is, yes it can heal 100% back to normal. 

Sure he makes some solid plays in the running game. He is a very solid Dlineman, just like Richardson/Snacks/Williams. I like them all. But if you want to be considered elite, you better get a sack, cause a fumble, tackle someone for a loss if you want to get paid the money he wants. I'd just as soon stick with the other 3 and spend the Wilk money on an edge pass rusher. 

He had 12 sacks this year. Nobody else had more than 5. What they need to do is keep Wilk and draft an edge rusher and hope that Mauldin continues to improve.

This sounds like a tib/fib fracture - wide spectrum of how bad this could be.  He's not a RB like Leon was so I don't think it'll be as career altering.

Did you see him after the injury?  He was trying to put weight on it.  So this is not at all a Leon Washington fracture.  I think you're some kind of doctor-type, so you know the technical terms, but It can't be that both bones are separated I'd imagine...  Obviously it's not a compound fracture, if the bone broke the skin he'd be off the field on a cart in a heartbeat.

I'd rather have a guy like Vilma than Wilk.  He's pretty replaceable and doesn't make a huge difference when compared to other D linemen around the league.

Vilma? VILMA?

lol

Talk about overrated. The guy made a career of getting dragged past the first down marker by ball carriers. It was his art. 

Looks like we're going "Franchise Tag"

• A club can designate one franchise player or one transition player in any given year.

• The salary level offer by a player's old club determines what type of franchise player he is.

• An "exclusive" franchise player -- not free to sign with another club -- is offered a minimum of the average of the top five salaries at the player's position as of April 16, or 120 percent of the player's previous year's salary, whichever is greater.

• If the player is offered a minimum of the average of the top five salaries of last season at his position, or 120 percent of the player’s previous year’s salary, he becomes a “non-exclusive” franchise player and can negotiate with other clubs. His old club can match a new club's offer, or receive two first-round draft choices if it decides not to match. The signing period for non-exclusive franchise players to sign with new clubs is March 3 through November 9 (10th week of the season).

• A transition player has received a minimum offer of the average of the top 10 salaries of last season at the player's position or 120 percent of the player's previous year's salary, whichever is greater.

• A transition player designation gives the club a first-refusal right to match within seven days an offer sheet given to the player by another club after his contract expires. If the club matches, it retains the player. If it does not match, it receives no compensation. Transition players can be signed from March 3 through July 22."

This injury may have been a good thing for the Jets.  An injury from which a full recovery looks like it may be possible but an injury serious enough to remind the player that they are not indestructible.

Mo, please take a little less for up front job security or you roll the dice and risk a Leon Washington outcome.

If the doctors give the Jets FO the green light I would continue to work on a deal with Mo starting today.

<edited to add>

I would let Mo's side know that I still want to do a deal but given the 6-month rehab time frame it may make sense to let that sink in for a month or two before getting serious about numbers with him.

Can the Jets just first round tender him or is that not a thing anymore?

They already gave him the extra year.  That is why he made $7M this year.  He came out in 2011.  He has been on the team for 5 years.  You can't just keep tendering guys forever.  This isn't the dark ages where you can keep guys around forever at team friendly prices. Sooner or later they get to test the market.

Archived