Very interesting article following the loss.

Patriot Killa

http://nypost.com/2016/01/03/ryan-fitzpatrick-betrays-jets-when-they-need-him-most/

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. — There was no FitzMagic left when the Jets needed it most, only a FitzTragic ending for the journeyman quarterback with no playoff journey once again.

Ryan Fitzpatrick was wearing a green Jets hoodie and making no attempt to hide the open wound inside his heart in an interview room adjacent to a devastated visiting locker room.

He had thrown a killer interception in the end zone just as the Jets were poised to complete a comeback that would have buried any and all Same Old Jets chatter.

He would throw two more in a fourth quarter when it seemed like the Ghost of A.J. Duhe had arrived to haunt this tortured franchise 47 years after Super Bowl III.

Rextinction can be so sudden and so cruel, especially in this town, Fitzpatrick’s home sweet home for four years … but it would have been cruel in any town.

“My heart hurts so bad right now for all those guys in the locker room,” Fitzpatrick said after Bills 22, Jets 17.

And they hurt for him. He established a franchise single-season record with his 30th touchdown pass, to Eric Decker, enjoyed a career year and led the charge to this win-and-in game.

“It’s the hardest, and the most difficult end to a season I’ve ever had,” Fitzpatrick said, “in terms of how I feel right now and how painful of a loss that was. At this point, it doesn’t feel like a very great season.”

Every last Jet who had witnessed FitzMagic down the stretch expected more of it, one more time, after he had capped a methodical drive with a 21-yard TD pass to Decker past Corey Graham to make it Bills 19, Jets 17.

“We were rolling a little bit there, and just felt like we had some momentum in our favor,” Fitzpatrick said.

And soon Fitzpatrick was marching again, second-and-10 at the Buffalo 14.

Which meant 14 yards from his playoffs.

“It was a good feeling in the huddle, it was one of those things where we had the thing going,” Fitzpatrick said.

Fitzpatrick looked for Decker on a skinny post over the middle. But Leodis McKelvin had inside position.

“Really just kinda anticipation, timing throw,” Fitzpatrick said. “I think I threw it a little in front of him, I also think Leodis made a nice play. He sorta read the route a little bit …

“Wish I had that one back.”

The Jets had seen the Redskins score against the Bills on the same play. Decker blamed himself for not getting in front of McKelvin.

“It’s just not one person’s fault,” Decker said. “He’s a guy that’s been a tremendous leader, tough guy, and a reason why we have been in the position we are.”

It was 22-17 when Fitzpatrick got it back at his 20, 3:49 from Rextinction

And on third-and-9 from his 45 just after the 2-minute warning, he was hammered by Marcell Dareus and the duck for Brandon Marshall was intercepted by Manny Lawson.

Fitzpatrick had one last prayer of a chance at his 18 with 44 seconds and no timeouts, watched a bomb deep down the right sidelines get knocked out of Kenbrell Thompkins’ hands by Mario Butler before throwing the last fateful pick under duress, and beginning the lonely, empty walk toward next season.
Marshall absolved his quarterback of blame for the last two interceptions.

“If it wasn’t for Ryan Fitzpatrick, we wouldn’t be in this position,” Marshall said. “He played an awesome game, and not only that, he led us all season. … He led the way.”

He saved the season after Geno Smith went down for the count. He just couldn’t extend it.

“I’m proud of everybody in that locker room,” Fitzpatrick said, “but it hurts me a lot to … after this interview, I’ll have to walk back in there, and just the feeling of not playing your best and not making the plays we needed to make to win. … But it’s part of the game that I love to, just the adversity, and being able to walk back in there and look everybody in the eye, and give ’em hugs and shake hands. … It’s tough and it hurts, but there’s a lot of love in that locker room with all the guys

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fact what has ever won as a QB he has never taken a team to the playoffs. 

The guy is what he is, but he also set the Jets TD record, came within a hair of the yardage record and almost got us into the playoffs.  Is he great? Not by any means.  However your belittling and child like criticism of him is uncalled for. 

The guy is what he is, but he also set the Jets TD record, came within a hair of the yardage record and almost got us into the playoffs.  Is he great? Not by any means.  However your belittling and child like criticism of him is uncalled for. 

The Jets haven't had a franchise QB since Joe Namath. 

Fitz shows a great deal of class and in fact the article makes this loss hurt that much more.  

If Trent Dilfer can win a Super Bowl, Fitzy can win three of them.  Bowles and Mac need to straighten this team out.  Get a quality RB, improve the OL, get a pass rusher, improve the special teams, get a WR to stretch the field.  Seems like a lot but there is hope.   

If Trent Dilfer can win a Super Bowl, Fitzy can win three of them.  Bowles and Mac need to straighten this team out.  Get a quality RB, improve the OL, get a pass rusher, improve the special teams, get a WR to stretch the field.  Seems like a lot but there is hope.   

in truth I don't think I have ever been so sad after a Jets loss.  So anything positive is a Gods send and I've been a fan for well over 45 years  

Thanks!!!!

Would I prefer all of the personal accolades that Fitz had this year without the playoffs or Mark Sanchez winning 11 games his 2nd year, getting into the playoffs and eventually to the final four? 

I'd rather scream at Sanchez through my TV screen on our way to the playoffs and the AFCCG. 

Fitz is a nice guy, but its not about that. He had a very nice season with some great talent around him, but we didnt make the playoffs with a weak schedule. 

You can like a guy and still not be satisfied with the outcome. This isnt personal, this is football. 

You have to make the playoffs first. For as bad as trent Dilfer was, he's been to the playoffs twice. And we can say that it was because he was on a talented team. Well, what did Fitz have? 

Would I prefer all of the personal accolades that Fitz had this year without the playoffs or Mark Sanchez winning 11 games his 2nd year, getting into the playoffs and eventually to the final four? 

I'd rather scream at Sanchez through my TV screen on our way to the playoffs and the AFCCG. 

Fitz is a nice guy, but its not about that. He had a very nice season with some great talent around him, but we didnt make the playoffs with a weak schedule. 

You can like a guy and still not be satisfied with the outcome. This isnt personal, this is football. 

Thank you for the great post. 

I agree with what you are saying.  My point is to call him a "choker" or to belittle him in a personal way is uncalled for.  

in truth I don't think I have ever been so sad after a Jets loss.  So anything positive is a Gods send and I've been a fan for well over 45 years  

Thanks!!!!

45 years.  48 years here. I was spoiled rotten by Joe Willie.  Damn his knees.  While this team 'overachieved', it did make great strides BUT with all the talent at their  disposal and all the money Mac spent, I was hoping we could have made the playoffs.  I know how you feel but lets remember, when one door closes another opens.  

45 years.  48 years here. I was spoiled rotten by Joe Willie.  Damn his knees. 

Hence the reason for the Charlie Brown moniker because the Jets are tied to my youth and my willingness to believe anything is possible. 

Hey if we make it to a SB I promise that I will take you and your family to a dinner on me to a place of your choice.   

Have to have a reason to believe!!!

I agree with what you are saying.  My point is to call him a "choker" or to belittle him in a personal way is uncalled for.  

Okay, I can see your point. I wouldnt personally disrespect Fitz, I dont know him. He didnt play well today, but the man had a great winter run. 

I will say this though, maybe some of the people who disrespect  Geno personally will lay off him a bit given how our last 3 drives of the season went. 

I agree with you when it comes to certain things being uncalled for. I've seen people call Geno all types of stuff yet no one cames to his defense. 

So though I see your point and actually agree, given that I felt that way with the harsh criticism of Geno even though "I" wanted him gone too, we have to atleast be consistent with our uncalled criticism. I hate to see one guy protected yet another can easily be thrown to the wolves. 

52 years here. 

Well then act like you have been here before.  Fitzy is a class act unlike that cockroach Geno.  He demands the respect he is due.  He took a 4-10 team and nearly got us to the playoffs.  A team that has more holes than meets the eye.   He will be back and we will be better next year. Guaranteed.    

Well then act like you have been here before.  Fitzy is a class act unlike that cockroach Geno.  He demands the respect he is due.  He took a 4-10 team and nearly got us to the playoffs.  A team that has more holes than meets the eye.   He will be back and we will be better next year. Guaranteed.    

He beat 1 team with a winning record played a very weak schedule he has never taken a team to the playoffs,no thanks the search for a franchise QB continues. 

Fitzpatrick my message to you is thats why you are a journeyman QB you have won nothing and choked many times before. 

VDF is a 22 year old boy who doesn't know anything about what it means to be a competitor or how to talk to adults. Just ignore. He's said the same exact same thing over and over for months. It's more said than anything....

Hence the reason for the Charlie Brown moniker because the Jets are tied to my youth and my willingness to believe anything is possible. 

Hey if we make it to a SB I promise that I will take you and your family to a dinner on me to a place of your choice.   

Have to have a reason to believe!!!

Can I bring my dog too?  He's like Snoopy.   

so you're saying if the jets can put together one of the greatest defenses of all time we can win a super bowl with fitz? Mac better be getting to work on that

He beat 1 team with a winning record played a very weak schedule he has never taken a team to the playoffs,no thanks the search for a franchise QB continues. 

He (the Jets) beat who was on their schedule.  If there is a criticism of this team it isn't the level of competition but that they didn't play great on the road.  The Jets were 7-2 at Metlife (including the Giants game) and also beat the Dolphins in a "neutral" site game.

so you're saying if the jets can put together one of the greatest defenses of all time we can win a super bowl with fitz? Mac better be getting to work on that

No I am saying we can win 3 of them. BTW, our so called defense was supposed to be 'all that'.  But think about it.  If we can get a damn pass rush, a ILB, and a bona fide rb we are in business. 

He (the Jets) beat who was on their schedule.  If there is a criticism of this team it isn't the level of competition but that they didn't play great on the road.  The Jets were 7-2 at Metlife (including the Giants game) and also beat the Dolphins in a "neutral" site game.

So he beat 1 team with a winning record anyway you look at it. 

No one has ever claimed he was a franchise QB. He is who he is.  If this stinkin defense would have showed up all year we would have easily made the playoffs. Fitzy did more than his part.  I blame this defensive fiasco totally on Bowles and today's loss on Revis. 

Fitzpatrick my message to you is thats why you are a journeyman QB you have won nothing and choked many times before. 

If you want to attack the posters who say he isn't just a journeyman  (which I agree with, but have a whole new level of respect for the man, and player he is) I don't agree with it, but fine whatever floats your boat.

But your directing this message like it's at Fitzpatrick himself who I've never once speak of himself as some franchise QB, but just say all the right things like if they need me to play I'll be ready, if they say I'm the starter great I'll be ready.  You come across very ignorant in the way some of your posts seem to be attacking Fitzpatrick himself.

Archived