A first glance at the cap situation for 2016

jetscrazey

http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/new-york-jets/

Assuming the cap is about $153 million in 2016, that leaves about $18 million in cap room right now, as it is.

The following players can be cut with no cap hit:

-Marshall - $9.5 million - not cutting him

-Mangold -$8.6 million - not cutting him

-Cromartie - $8 million - likely will be cut, unless he renegotiates it down to $4 million to keep his family in NY

-Jeff Cumberland - $1.9 million - he's a goner, thankfully

The following players can be cut for some cap hit:

-D'Brick - $14.1 million cap number - would take a cap hit of $5 million if cut, but save $9 million.  prime candidate for renegotiation/cutting

-Gilchrist - $5.6 million cap number, would take a cap hit of $1.8 million if cut, but save $3.8 million.  However if he leaves you need a new signal-caller in the secondary.

-Giacomini - similar numbers to Gilchrist.  Ideally he is a goner, not worth the money, but I think Bowles likes him

-Geno Smith - cutting him would save $1 million while giving a $500,000 cap hit.

-Kerley - take a $1.8 million hit to save $1.3 million - candidate for cut/trade

-Nick Folk- Would take a $1.1 million cap hit but would save $2.1 million.

The following players likely will not be cut:

-Dee Milliner: $4 million cap number and it's all dead money if he's cut, no savings.

-Revis: $17 million cap number, Too much dead money

-Buster Skrine: $7.75 million cap number, even more in dead money if cut

-David Harris: $7.5 million cap number fully guaranteed, he's not going anywhere

-Devin Smith: Would pay more to cut him than to keep him

Key players who will hit free agency:

-Snacks - on the fence about him, tough to gauge the value of a 2-down player

-Bilal Powell - could resign, but his lack of durabiltiy is a major concern

-Demario Davis - bye bye, go sign with Rex.  Draft a replacement, a sideline-to-sideline speed LB

-Erin Henderson - would resign him

-Chris Ivory - not sure if he fits in this offensive system to be honest.  And isn't reliable to be healthy.

-Calvin Pace - likely bye bye, it's likely Mauldin's job unless Pace players for the veteran minimum.

-Ridley - see ya

....that's about it.

Say you save another $12 million via renegotiation for loyal players such as Brick and Cro and cutting players like Giacomini, Geno Smith, Nick Folk.  That leaves $30 million, out of which $14-$15 million probably goes to Wilkerson if franchised.  This leaves the Jets enough room to sign a couple of solid starters in free agency.

Personally I'd think long and hard about letting Mo walk, and re-signing Snacks less money.  We already have Leo and Sheldon.  Then use the saved money to get another solid free agent in here, an OLB or another skilled WR to complement Decker and Marshall here.

I'd also think long and hard about cutting D'Brick.  His skills no longer justify his salary, and the Jets have a quick passing game anyway.  Maybe it's better to invest big money in skill players than o-line.

Edited by jetscrazey
  • Upvote 1

I think you try to re negotiate Brick, but don't cut him.  He's a good LT who never misses a snap.

I think Snacks may be gone.  Teams throw so much, that stopping the run isn't as big a deal.  Or you can keep Snacks, let Mo walk, and go 3-4 with Snacks, Sheldon and Williams.   But that's risky since you have no linebackers.

I think you try to re negotiate Brick, but don't cut him.  He's a good LT who never misses a snap.

I think Snacks may be gone.  Teams throw so much, that stopping the run isn't as big a deal.  Or you can keep Snacks, let Mo walk, and go 3-4 with Snacks, Sheldon and Williams.   But that's risky since you have no linebackers.

Maybe instead of franchising Mo, you say "screw it" and show Von Miller the money?

Or bring in a veteran like Mario Williams or Dwight Freeney, who will both be available as pure edge rushers?

The point is, it's time to divert some resources away from interior d-line and improve other areas.

Edited by jetscrazey
  • Upvote 1

I don't know how good it is to replace both T positions in one season. Brick played every snap once again. There is real value in that. He also shut down Jones in NE when it counted most. Winters has really improved. Mangold's play has also slipped. Breno is the wobbly player and the one to replace more easily. The running game slipped in the 2nd half. The passing game improved (LT).

Gotta keep Mo. Need another speedy WR. One who can catch. Have to groom a replacement for Marshall (Canton bound). Powell needs to stay. Need a speedy RB and another bruiser. 

LB is the weak link on D. Not enough speed to play the underneath coverage on players like Watkins. Henderson is a good player though. OLB is a position of dire need still. Walls may opt out of here and Cro may very well be cut. Delicate Dee has talent. He also has the name Delicate for a reason. May need 2 new CB's.

QB. Fitz choked in every sense of the word yesterday. Crunch time. 4Th quarter. 3 Picks. One in the red zone. No other word for it. Hard to win a SB with a QB who has flashed that propensity. Can he have another career year? This is not Madden. Could do better with Kap or at least can't do any worse.

Key players who will hit free agency:

-Snacks - on the fence about him, tough to gauge the value of a 2-down player

-Bilal Powell - could resign, but his lack of durabiltiy is a major concern

-Demario Davis - bye bye, go sign with Rex.  Draft a replacement, a sideline-to-sideline speed LB

-Erin Henderson - would resign him

-Chris Ivory - not sure if he fits in this offensive system to be honest.  And isn't reliable to be healthy.

-Calvin Pace - likely bye bye, it's likely Mauldin's job unless Pace players for the veteran minimum.

-Ridley - see ya

....that's about it.

Say you save another $12 million via renegotiation for loyal players such as Brick and Cro and cutting players like Giacomini, Geno Smith, Nick Folk.  That leaves $30 million, out of which $14-$15 million probably goes to Wilkerson if franchised.  This leaves the Jets enough room to sign a couple of solid starters in free agency.

Personally I'd think long and hard about letting Mo walk, and re-signing Snacks less money.  We already have Leo and Sheldon.  Then use the saved money to get another solid free agent in here, an OLB or another skilled WR to complement Decker and Marshall here.

I'd also think long and hard about cutting D'Brick.  His skills no longer justify his salary, and the Jets have a quick passing game anyway.  Maybe it's better to invest big money in skill players than o-line.

Forgetting anyone?