If Gailey is here long-term, better to invest in skill players than o-line

jetscrazey

Jets were top 5 in fewest sacks in the NFL this year, and it's not because their o-line is amazing.

It's the system, which is designed to spread it out and get rid of the ball quickly.

If this is the case, cap eaters like D'Brickashaw and Giacomini need to go, and Maccagnan needs to go all-in for skill players.  We can win getting the ball out early if Fitz has enough players to throw it to.

Unfortunately Quincy Enunwa, Jace Amaro, and Devin Smith do not inspire much confidence when Marshall and Decker get taken away.  Get Fitz some more REAL DEAL secondary targets and this offense can excel if 2016.    It starts with finding a Bilal Powell-type player who is actually healthy when the team needs him.  If that means replacing D'Brick and Giacomini with youth, so be it because they struggled against elite pass rushers anyhow.

Jets were top 5 in fewest sacks in the NFL this year, and it's not because their o-line is amazing.

It's the system, which is designed to spread it out and get rid of the ball quickly.

If this is the case, cap eaters like D'Brickashaw and Giacomini need to go, and Maccagnan needs to go all-in for skill players.  We can win getting the ball out early if Fitz has enough players to throw it to.

Unfortunately Quincy Enunwa, Jace Amaro, and Devin Smith do not inspire much confidence when Marshall and Decker get taken away.  Get Fitz some more REAL DEAL secondary targets and this offense can excel if 2016.    It starts with finding a Bilal Powell-type player who is actually healthy when the team needs him.  If that means replacing D'Brick and Giacomini with youth, so be it because they struggled against elite pass rushers anyhow.

Agree I hate Giacomini and Bricks either got to restructure or get cut. Hes too expensive and his regression is so obvious. We also need to gut our special teams quigley is just awful. I wish we could get a player like Tavon Austin someone with speed who can be a good safety valve under Marshall and Decker

Corey Coleman - WR - Bears

Baylor redshirt junior WR Corey Coleman made mincemeat of West Virginia's lauded secondary on Saturday, catching 10 balls for 199 yards and three scores.

If you didn't get a chance to watch the game but just want one clip to encapsulate another one of Coleman's Neo performances, click the link below. We're not exactly sure how you defend this guy. He's one of the sport's fastest receivers, but he's also one of its most agile. It's not just that, though: He fights for the ball, he can jump higher than you, he's quick-twitch and he'll out-muscle any corner. We say he's the draft's best receiver prospect. We wouldn't be surprised if other sites eventually come around to agreeing with us, beginning, perhaps, with this upcoming week. With 16 touchdowns in six games, Coleman already owns Baylor's single-season receiving touchdown record. He has at least seven games left, eight if Baylor reaches the championship. Strap in, kids.

He's legit

http://vineyard.trendolizer.com/2015/10/corey-coleman-is-a-freak.html

Not if you want to be able to run the ball.

You want a good O?  You keep investing in the Line.

this offense mostly runs out of the Shotgun anyway.  Smashmouth does not exist under Chan Gailey.  This offense is designed to run a spread formation, and get rid of it quickly.  It's a passing league now anyway.  The Bills were the top running team and didn't make the playoffs.

3 years or more and we need to sign guys suited to his system

Agree to that, but we don't need to go with an all scrub offensive line because then Gailey is gone and we're left with a sh*tty offensive line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree to that, but we don't need to go with an all scrub offensive line because then Gailey is gone and we're left with a sh*tty offensive line.

For $5 million we can probably get someone who is not that much worse than Brick was this year, and save $9 million of cap room in the process which could get another key piece here.

What yesterday showed to me was how our role-player type guys really affect the outcomes of games - you know Marshall and Decker are going to get theirs, but it's when you get contributions from the lower down guys that you start to present a real problem to opponents.

Both Enunwa and Thompkins had big plays last week in beating New England, but yesterday both are more noticeable for the plays they didn't make. Thompkins i can't really criticize too much, heck of a play by the DB on that one, but Enunwa had two key drops earlier that could both have gone for scores. Unlike last week, he didn't get another chance to atone for those.

Same at RB, where it was evident we missed Powell as a third option in the passing game.

So in the offseason I think we'll see lots of moves at RB / TE / WR ... RB I wouldn't be surprised if we let Ivory walk, re-sign Powell and draft a back early, plus I'm sure there will be options in free agency. TE / H-Back may need a complete rethink ... Amaro is a big question mark, Cumby and Davis should be gone, and I can't even recall if T-Bo is still on the team. Big hole to fill there. WR, we'll get Smith back and he'll get a full offseason to develop. Kerley will be gone, big game yesterday and he wasn't mentioned outside of being a non-threat at PR. I think Enunwa should stay around, he showed some ability but is still raw and needs work. But we certainly need more options at this position, and a real "jitterbug" type threat who can be a danger on short slants and screens, and double as a PR, would be perfect.

It's actually more important than ever to invest in the O-line.  That great pass protection we just saw for most of the year will be gone once Brick begins a sharp decline.

Not to mention, people keep saying we need a true playmaker at RB.  Powell showed flashes of that this season; we were 9-2 when he was available.  How about bringing him back, improving our run blocking, and grab a mid-round back to compliment him and Ridley?

This regime has already invested pretty heavily in skill players.  We traded for Marshall and used a 2nd round pick on Devin Smith.  We already had Decker on the roster.  And there's a decent chance Chan can get something out of Jace Amaro.  Invest in the o-line and the guys we already have on the roster will look even better. 

Chan Gailey is 64 year old. Any planning done around his system is short term.

I would assume that they would plan to use a similar system.  Seems like Patullo is being groomed for the spot and Gailey brought him up in Buffalo

For $5 million we can probably get someone who is not that much worse than Brick was this year, and save $9 million of cap room in the process which could get another key piece here.

Brick saves $9M.  You want to dump Brick for someone like Donald Penn and save $3M?  I am sure they will consider some moves here, but I hear Okung's name being thrown around and he made like $8M per on his rookie deal.  I don't see him taking less.

this offense mostly runs out of the Shotgun anyway.  Smashmouth does not exist under Chan Gailey.  This offense is designed to run a spread formation, and get rid of it quickly.  It's a passing league now anyway.  The Bills were the top running team and didn't make the playoffs.

Have you noticed what happens to great qb's who have no line, i.e Brady and Rodgers the past few weeks? They both run the "spread" offense and both qb's have been very average with no line. You need a good oline to be a good offense.

You'll never convince me that investing in the OL is a bad idea.

That said, Brick can go. I've convinced myself that his "blah" attitude is part of the nucleus of "it's okay to lose" in the locker room over the past ~10 years. The same sentiment that makes "they played harder than us" possible, when we have FAR MORE to play for. 

When the clock ran out yesterday, Mangold looked like he was crying, while Brick was grinning ear-to-ear.

Sometimes you have to take a step back so you can take a bunch of steps forward .  What did the Jets coaching staff see on the practice field that had them prepared to start the season with Geno Smith as the Starting QB over Ryan Fitzpatrick ?  Why do Jet fans think the Jets can't win without Ferguson and Mangold ? What exactly has the Jets won with Both players  ?

Yeah that's all well and good...but what about running the ball?  There's a reason our run game disappeared and it's because the Oline hasn't had young talent infused into it in half a decade.  No, I'm not going to count Brian Winters as young talent.

It's time to turn the page on Dbrick. No way he sees 16 million or whatever his contract calls for this year. We can't run behind him, his guy hit Fitz on 2 of his picks, but if he stays he needs to have his contract cut in half or the Jets should try to steal Okung away from Seattle & give him 12 million.

He's a 1st round pick so are you spending our 1st rounder on him ?

Would you spend a first round on Antonio Brown? Same style of play. 

Q: Is WR presently our biggest priority?

A: No, but as we've this year we have nothing behind our mighty duo... And based on how often we run 3-4 WR sets, we need a shifty Z flanker.

Would you spend a first round on Antonio Brown? Same style of play. 

Q: Is WR presently our biggest priority?

A: No, but as we've this year we have nothing behind our mighty duo... And based on how often we run 3-4 WR sets, we need a shifty Z flanker.

I wouldn't have an issue with the Jets drafting Colemen  who I think I have listed as my top   WR available . IMO, it will all depend on who is available when we are on the clock .  QB, OT and CB are going to be huge possibilities with our 1st rounder .

Chan Gailey is 64 year old. Any planning done around his system is short term.

Couple of things on that.   Frequently, offensive co-ordinators leave after a few years.  If they do a really good job, they get promoted.  If they don't, they get fired.

If Gailey keeps doing a good job, it stands to reason that his successor will be a promotion from within, which would be someone who runs basically the same system, there for you would still want the same type of players.

Finally, if you do at some point want to bring in a young QB, he will probably not be making decisions as quickly as Fitz, so having a running game and good pass protection will be helpful.  Both of those need a good line.

I wouldn't have an issue with the Jets drafting Colemen  who I think I have listed as my top   WR available . IMO, it will all depend on who is available when we are on the clock .  QB, OT and CB are going to be huge possibilities with our 1st rounder .

You draft the best player.  If it's a WR, then great.  Because who knows where Marshall will be in a year or 2.  If Amari Cooper had fallen to us this year, I would have drafted him in a heartbeat.

Archived