If Gailey is here long-term, better to invest in skill players than o-line

jetscrazey

A big part of why we don't have much going for receivers beyond Marshall and Decker is that Gailey's system puts the rest of the offense into blocking. If the TEs, RBs and other WRs have to be blockers then that limits what kind of skill players you will have. You can't have a fast RB like Ivory out there too much unless he's running every play because he's not your blocker. You can't have Kerley or other smaller receivers on the field much because they don't have the size to block. Instead you end up with droppers like Enunwa and Davis on the field and clunkers at RB like Ridley and Stacy.

It's tough to find guys like Powell who are good at blocking plus getting the ball. Every team wants those guys at RB and TE. You can't be rich everywhere on the team which means if you want to run Gailey's system some position has to be second rate. Personally I do not like Gailey's system but it was probably a good transition system with the staff we had and what we got over the offseason. I'd rather see us move staff and scheme towards relying on traditional blocking positions and get more good receivers on the field. I also think Gailey feeds into Bowles' conservatism in all the games we lost this season.

Archived