Position by Position: Cuts, re-signings and needs

Jetsfan80

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sure many people will disagree with me, but I'd prefer *not* to draft a QB this year.  (Only if the value is extremely good.)  I think the best strategy is to draft a developmental-type QB (i.e. 3rd through 5th round) every other year.  This way you essentially get 4 years with your developmental QB (currently Petty) to decide if he's got the right stuff.  Presumably they're at least competent to be a (cheap) backup in years 3 and 4 (see Smith, Geno).  And drafting QBs at the top of the draft - where they're rather overvalued - is more miss than hit.  Plus it takes years to figure it out (e.g. Tannehill).

It means we go in next year with Fitz/Geno/Petty as our QBs.  Nothing that will make anyone jealous (well maybe the Texans), but there's not a clear path for us to have anything better next year anyway.  If you draft a development QB every year, you're not really going to be able to give them a chance to develop.

He's 24 years old and represents a $675,000 cap hit.  Basically the veteran minimum for a player with 3 years of experience.  There's no reason to cut him.

You cut him to make room on the roster and in training camp for an RB who has a chance of being good.

You cut him to make room on the roster and in training camp for an RB who has a chance of being good.

I'm fine with him being a late cut, but until better RB's are found in the draft/UDFA pool, I see no reason to cut him.  As I mentioned, my bad for failing to mention in the original post in this thread that it was not intended to be a "final" roster, only the initial moves we need to make before the draft.  No reason to cut Stacy until we need to.

Archived