Why are they the S.O.J?

Ex-Rex

One reason is that they have almost ALWAYS hired a first time head coach. Todd Bowles is a good coach and I believe that he will ultimately be successful, but he doesn't know how to get the players to raise their game to another level which is the missing ingredient.  I'm not just talking about being fired up emotionally, but being prepared for anything. Bowles didn't see Revis was obviously scared of being beaten deep by Watkins, so he gave him a 10 yard cushion on every play. Bowles should have adjusted to that with safety help over the top. The Jets also have never had a Reggie White type in the locker room who can lead the troops and KNOWS what it takes to get it done. The Jets have a bunch of guys who would like to be the "leader" but no one that can definitively say, "This is how we get it done" so they stumble and fall flat on their faces, hence SOJ. Pressure is the thing the Jets can't take...they crack under pressure and have no leader that is able to turn it around when things go bad. The Jets have hired just three HC's with SB or playoff experience, Weeb, Parcells and Kotite. All the rest were first time HC's with no playoff resume. Herm was able to get the Jets to the playoffs in three of his five years, and Rex did it the first two years here. But then the team ages and changes are made and success slips away. I think that Bowles will learn, but that always takes time and the more times you fail, the harder it becomes to overcome and the more self-induced pressure there is. The thing Bowles needs to learn most is how to be a bastard...how to be a Chuck Noll type coach who doesn't accept anything less than your best and if you shrink under pressure, I don't want you here. Get it together Todd, look at the game film and decide who shrank and let them know that any more shrinkage will lead to your ouster. Make them fear you more than they fear the pressure of failure. Only then will the bury the Same Old Jets.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SOJ has been dead for a LONG time, just b/c we lose a big game it doesn't mean "SOJ".  every team loses games they shouldn't from time to time.  yesterday has nothing to do w/ failures in '93, '97, '00, '08, '11

Agreed

There is no SOJ any more. 

SOJ has been dead for a LONG time, just b/c we lose a big game it doesn't mean "SOJ".  every team loses games they shouldn't from time to time.  yesterday has nothing to do w/ failures in '93, '97, '00, '08, '11

yup.  The real reason is whenever we lose SOJFs cry that we're the SOJs.

if the Steelers also lost yesterday we don't see this thread.  As if 10-6 wasn't a good improvement or we thought this was really a 11 win team 

yup.  The real reason is whenever we lose SOJFs cry that we're the SOJs.

if the Steelers also lost yesterday we don't see this thread.  As if 10-6 wasn't a good improvement or we thought this was really a 11 win team 

and the steelers lost last week the same way we lost yesterday.  fortunately for them there was still a week left and we couldn't play w/ playoff pressure.

Losing a big game IS "SOJ" my friend. The drama filled fail is the "SOJ". We can disagree on what constitutes SOJ, but having the easiest schedule ever and the most talented team the past 20 years since I've been a fan, to start the season 4-1 ultimately to lose this game by getting swept by our former head coach/division rival, the former team of your current QB and OC in order to knock you out of playoff contention is SOJ fashion my friend. 

Just like in 2008 when we traded for Favre and just threw Pennington to the side to only watch Pennington be picked up by Miami. We started the season 8-3, beat an undefeated 10-0 Titans team on our way to that 8-3 record, Beat Pennington's Dolphins in week 1 only to have to play them in week 17 and watch how in a big game, a "Win and you're in" game we not only lose to our division rivals, but we lose to our division rivals led by the very QB we threw to the side and we could do nothing but watch as they became the division champion with that win AND indirectly knock out the Pats from playoff contention as well. 

This year it was having the most talented team and the easiest schedule only to be knocked out by our former coach and the team of our former QB and OC

In 2008 it was having one of the best QB's in NFL history on our team and the division wide open with the injury to Tom Brady in week 1 only to be knocked out by our division rival who had our former coach Parcells as their VP and the QB we threw to the side. 

Thats just "SOJ" stuff brother, no way around it. 

lol, they get us all to buy-in, play themselves into a win-and-in situation, then come out and lay an egg... but not just any old loss, a loss punctuated by flat play, sloppy penalties, a terrible game plan, and no sense of urgency... against the coach we just fired.

SOJ through and through. To deny it, is to not understand it.

and the steelers lost last week the same way we lost yesterday.  fortunately for them there was still a week left and we couldn't play w/ playoff pressure.

For the Steelers, a loss like last week is an anomaly. For the Jets, a loss like this week is the signature of the franchise for the past 40-odd years.

+ 100000000

The Jets have been to championship games in the past decade and have more playoff victories than many franchise during that time. Teams lose in epic fashion every year, perhaps even every week in the NFL. I saw a stat recently about the Jets being the best team in the NFL in terms of NOT blowing a large lead (8 or more points) in 4th quarter - they had some ridiculously long streak of NOT blowing leads. SOJ has been dead a long time...it is only brought up by people who want to bring it up. Like most forms of labeling, it is lazy and often not accurate. 

Blowing big leads (see Spike game), complete ineptitude, and tanking at the end of the season (losing three or four in a row to miss out on playoffs) was SOJ to me. What happened this year is not SOJ, imo 

............just b/c we lose a big game (that we shouldn't lose vs. a team we're better than with everything on the line) it doesn't mean "SOJ".............  

Isn't the above basicly the definition of why people call us the "Same Old Jets"?

The franchise is a heartbreaker.  We're not bad enough, consistently enough, to be truly bad.  We're often good, sometimes very good, but it always seems to come down to some horrible dissapointment from left field, usually vs. a truly inferior opponent, or some grudge opponent, and the Jets have lost every time.

No one says "same old Steelers" because the Steelers have six rings, many of them somewat recently.  And they, unlike us, don;t have a history of losing games with it all ont he line.  If they lost to Cleveland, they'd have been acting in a "Same Old Jets" way.  They didn't.  

But we lost to Rex.  Rex ******* Ryan.

"Same Old Jets" doesn't mean this year was effected by previous years.  It means we, as a franchise, ALWAYS lay an egg in a big moment, with the team on the cusp, with the chips down we draw the sh*t hand, come up snakeeyes, etc, etc, etc, pick your cliche.

Yesterday was dictionary "Same Old Jets" moment.  we come in, on a streak, control our destiny, and lay a sh*t-egg vs. not some random NFC team, but against the Bills.  Not just the Bills, but against Rex ******* Ryan.  Not just Rex Ryan, but a loser Rex Ryan team playing for nothing.

Has nothing to do with the Fans.  People will stop using "Same Old jets" when the Jets stop acting like the Same Old Jets, and start winning these heartbreaker on-the-line games, consistently, for a while.  If we keep losing them, people will keep using it.

+ 100000000

The Jets have been to championship games in the past decade and have more playoff victories than many franchise during that time. Teams lose in epic fashion every year, perhaps even every week in the NFL. I saw a stat recently about the Jets being the best team in the NFL in terms of NOT blowing a large lead (8 or more points) in 4th quarter - they had some ridiculously long streak of NOT blowing leads. SOJ has been dead a long time...it is only brought up by people who want to bring it up. Like most forms of labeling, it is lazy and often not accurate. 

Blowing big leads (see Spike game), complete ineptitude, and tanking at the end of the season (losing three or four in a row to miss out on playoffs) was SOJ to me. What happened this year is not SOJ, imo 

Championship games were a half decade ago bro. During that time we've gone through 2 GM's, 2 HC's, numerous OC's, DC's etc. 

For the Steelers, a loss like last week is an anomaly. For the Jets, a loss like this week is the signature of the franchise for the past 40-odd years.

losses like this happen for basically every team not named NE b/c they usually have the div wrapped up by mid dec.

it was a bad loss, nothing more. 

So why aren't the Lions called the same old Lions? Vikings? Hell the Dolphins haven't won since 73. A gap nearly just as long. 

Because "Same Ol" is our thing? Why are the Browns called the Factory of Sadness?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beat by an Ex-HC that everyone has ridiculed for an entire season at every little thing he did on the last game of the season in a win and in scenario during a year the Jets had the best offense performance in 20 years, a top 5 D and the weakest schedule in the NFL?

Doesnt get more SOJ than that, folks.

Beat by an Ex-HC that everyone has ridiculed for an entire season at every little thing he did on the last game of the season in a win and in scenario during a year the Jets had the best offense performance in 20 years, a top 5 D and the weakest schedule in the NFL?

Is that weakest schedule in the NFL thing proven? I would say Washington or one of the NFC East teams 

The question is..... What is SOJ?.

Is it the heartbreaking team of recent vintage, the sucking team of the 90s, or a team with a dysfunctional front office. Can't be all of these because they contradict

How does that contradict? They both end up in the same place: not the Super Bowl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is that weakest the NFL thing proven? I would say Washington or one of the NFC East teams 

Read an article about it.  They've got some formulas.  Mostly based on W vs. L of your opponents.  

The NFC East had to play the AFCE with 2 teams above .500 and the Bills.  Plus, they had the NFCS w/ the Panthers.

Read an article about it.  They've got some formulas.  Mostly based on W vs. L of your opponents.  

The NFC East had to play the AFCE with 2 teams above .500 and the Bills.  Plus, they had the NFCS w/ the Panthers.

True but the AFCE had to play NE twice. Are we counting on when we played them, because in that case, it could be true.

If you define not winning the super bowl a SOJ nothing to talk about here.  Truth is a 4-12 team won 10 games this year and came off a 5 game winning streak.  Not too shabby. This team wasn't superbowl ready.  So, was it loosing by 5 points that makes it SOJ; loosing to Rex? or when? So, if we won, and lost next week, isn't that a big game too? Wasn't last week a big game? Is there anyway the Jets could have not be classified as SOJ other than winning the super bowl?

I remember the SOJ not only loosing big games a few years ago, but getting creamed; I remember them starting off slow and then giving up and quitting in the 2nd half; I didn't see that yesterday.

I agree 100%

I am seriously hurt over the loss of that game but the SOJ thing is only brought up by fans and a silly media who really should know better...

Pats lost a big game last time I looked....

Over 45 years...  we have NEVER been to the SB. had dry spells of losing seasons and no playoffs about 1/2 the time. Lose big games when a win was within reach.

yesterday , IMO, was not SOJ but was pretty close to it.

If you define not winning the super bowl a SOJ nothing to talk about here.  Truth is a 4-12 team won 10 games this year and came off a 5 game winning streak.  Not too shabby. This team wasn't superbowl ready.  So, was it loosing by 5 points that makes it SOJ; loosing to Rex? or when? So, if we won, and lost next week, isn't that a big game too? Wasn't last week a big game? Is there anyway the Jets could have not be classified as SOJ other than winning the super bowl?

I remember the SOJ not only loosing big games a few years ago, but getting creamed; I remember them starting off slow and then giving up and quitting in the 2nd half; I didn't see that yesterday.

You don't understand what SOJ means, if these are the examples you're giving.

Same Old Jets is when they show signs of "getting it", of finally looking like they are on the cusp of "capable" and "respectable" football. Then, when the spotlight shines brightest and the moment of moments presents itself... they fall on their ******* face.

It's not about how many points they lose by, or whatever... it's about playing their way into a win-and-in situation, engendering hope in the fanbase, then dropping the ******* ball like it's a hot bucket of poop.

I agree 100%

I am seriously hurt over the loss of that game but the SOJ thing is only brought up by fans and a silly media who really should know better...

Pats lost a big game last time I looked....

Well, that's because it's a statement the reflects the fan experience.

I'm in awe of how many of you don't understand this.

In our history we haven't lose to many win and in games:

1993: were 8-5, lost last 2 to lose control of destiny.  Miami lost to NE early in day and we now needed to beat Houston and we'd be in.  we lost 24-0 and again Pitt made it in our place.

1997: we were 9-6 going to Detroit, lost a close 13-10 game which included awful INt call where Det defender was OOB in EZ and it cost us a FG at least in a 3 pt loss.

2000: needed to beat Baltimore to make it, led 14-0 then lost 34-20.

2015: lost at Buffalo

4 times in our history we lost win and in games, that's not a lot.

this wasn't a 4-12 team that won 10 games, it was a10-12 win team that won 10 games.

Archived