Why are they the S.O.J?

Ex-Rex

Losing a big game IS "SOJ" my friend. The drama filled fail is the "SOJ". We can disagree on what constitutes SOJ, but having the easiest schedule ever and the most talented team the past 20 years since I've been a fan, to start the season 4-1 ultimately to lose this game by getting swept by our former head coach/division rival, the former team of your current QB and OC in order to knock you out of playoff contention is SOJ fashion my friend. 

Just like in 2008 when we traded for Favre and just threw Pennington to the side to only watch Pennington be picked up by Miami. We started the season 8-3, beat an undefeated 10-0 Titans team on our way to that 8-3 record, Beat Pennington's Dolphins in week 1 only to have to play them in week 17 and watch how in a big game, a "Win and you're in" game we not only lose to our division rivals, but we lose to our division rivals led by the very QB we threw to the side and we could do nothing but watch as they became the division champion with that win AND indirectly knock out the Pats from playoff contention as well.

This year it was having the most talented team and the easiest schedule only to be knocked out by our former coach and the team of our former QB and OC

In 2008 it was having one of the best QB's in NFL history on our team and the division wide open with the injury to Tom Brady in week 1 only to be knocked out by our division rival who had our former coach Parcells as their VP and the QB we threw to the side.

Thats just "SOJ" stuff brother, no way around it.

I thought you were old enough to know that Brett had a torn bicept or something in his throwing arm, and an ankle the size of a grapefruit after that 8-3 start.  I remember that season and he took a beating early in the year.  I remember the announcers saying week after week that there is no way even the iron man brett favre can keep going at that pace.  I am certain we were even fined for not disclosing his injuries so after that happened i was sure that every jet fan would remember those facts.

I remember seeing brett not even be able to walk up to the steps to the post game press podium that year, had to hop up them.  The ONLY time i felt like i did watching that was reading the article about Chrebet not being able to tie his own shoes after finishing a game with a concussion....

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You don't understand what SOJ means, if these are the examples you're giving.

Same Old Jets is when they show signs of "getting it", of finally looking like they are on the cusp of "capable" and "respectable" football. Then, when the spotlight shines brightest and the moment of moments presents itself... they fall on their ******* face.

It's not about how many points they lose by, or whatever... it's about playing their way into a win-and-in situation, engendering hope in the fanbase, then dropping the ******* ball like it's a hot bucket of poop.

Sorry, but many thought the Bills game was going to be tough.  We also, although happy about the progress, thought this team wasn't as good as people thought.  I think they are getting it.  I think they are a better team than in the beginning of the season.  I think they still have a way to go.  Yes, hopes increased as the team progressed, but it isn't the teams fault that the fans wanted it so bad.

It sounds like many would have been happier if the Steelers had won last week and the Jets didn't.  That sounds more like SOJF and SOJ; just my opinion.

Sorry, but many thought the Bills game was going to be tough.  We also, although happy about the progress, thought this team wasn't as good as people thought.  I think they are getting it.  I think they are a better team than in the beginning of the season.  I think they still have a way to go.  Yes, hopes increased as the team progressed, but it isn't the teams fault that the fans wanted it so bad.

It sounds like many would have been happier if the Steelers had won last week and the Jets didn't.  That sounds more like SOJF and SOJ; just my opinion.

it certainly would have been easier to take if Pitt won last week and the jets won this week or if the Jets lost to NE then beat Buffalo.  no excuse for losing to Buffalo in a game that was huge for us.

Just what I was going to say.

This is SOJFs, not SOJ.

I thought you were old enough to know that Brett had a torn bicept or something in his throwing arm, and an ankle the size of a grapefruit after that 8-3 start.  I remember that season and he took a beating early in the year.  I remember the announcers saying week after week that there is no way even the iron man brett favre can keep going at that pace.  I am certain we were even fined for not disclosing his injuries so after that happened i was sure that every jet fan would remember those facts.

I remember seeing brett not even be able to walk up to the steps to the post game press podium that year, had to hop up them.  The ONLY time i felt like i did watching that was reading the article about Chrebet not being able to tie his own shoes after finishing a game with a concussion....

Brett's ankle was in Minnesota, the excuse for him was his bicep which only started to affect him when it got cold and we started losing.  the iron man known for playing through anything gets to use an injury excuse.  you can't make this stuff up especially for a guy who wasn't good most of that season.

it certainly would have been easier to take if Pitt won last week and the jets won this week or if the Jets lost to NE then beat Buffalo.  no excuse for losing to Buffalo in a game that was huge for us.

Agreed, but a 5 game winning streak is pretty good.

Here is why I don't think SOJ anymore.  We were down 5 with 30 seconds to go after Fitz had throw 2 INTs and I had hope this team would pull out the win - and they almost did; had the ball gotten to Thompkins a half second sooner, or the DB was a half second later we win that game after all the mistakes.  This team never quit (even though many called it over in the first quarter/half);

Not excusing the play for the bad decisions by the coaches, but this team is far past the SOJ that I remember.

Yeah, I thought it would be tough too. The SOJ experiences is that they completed a 5 game win streak, get a gift from the Steelers, and beat the Patriots... and then blow it, against Rex no less, after giving us hope. It's got nothing to do with it being a tough matchup... when everything comes into alignment for this team to finally take the next step, they find a way to not show up. That's SOJ.

Nobody is suggesting that we should have lost to the Pats or anything like that... that's not SOJF, that's stupid and defeatist.

Yeah, I thought it would be tough too. The SOJ experiences is that they completed a 5 game win streak, get a gift from the Steelers, and beat the Patriots... and then blow it, against Rex no less, after giving us hope. It's got nothing to do with it being a tough matchup... when everything comes into alignment for this team to finally take the next step, they find a way to not show up. That's SOJ.

Nobody is suggesting that we should have lost to the Pats or anything like that... that's not SOJF, that's stupid and defeatist.

This team wasn't good enough to go all the way IMO (despite what many had said all week before this); sooner or later the win streak would have ended.  Had we won yesterday, and lost next week, it would have been the next step (after yesterday) after everything was lined up.  Sooner or later they would have lost and it would have sucked.

Was yesterday a gut-wrenching heart-breaking loss? Yes. SOJ - sorry I don't believe it.

Next week we would have worked ourselves into thinking we were going the distance (or further). At some point, any loss, would have felt like the 'what - you did all this just to loose this game'? Maybe you or I wouldn't have felt that, but some/many would.  No matter what, unless they won the big game, someone would be talking about the SOJ.

Agreed, but a 5 game winning streak is pretty good.

Here is why I don't think SOJ anymore.  We were down 5 with 30 seconds to go after Fitz had throw 2 INTs and I had hope this team would pull out the win - and they almost did; had the ball gotten to Thompkins a half second sooner, or the DB was a half second later we win that game after all the mistakes.  This team never quit (even though many called it over in the first quarter/half);

Not excusing the play for the bad decisions by the coaches, but this team is far past the SOJ that I remember.

I don't believe in SOJ, yesterdays loss has nothing to do w/ 1993 or 1997 and I posted it earlier but we have only lost 4 times in win and in games in our history.  that's not too bad.

This team wasn't good enough to go all the way IMO (despite what many had said all week before this); sooner or later the win streak would have ended.  Had we won yesterday, and lost next week, it would have been the next step (after yesterday) after everything was lined up.  Sooner or later they would have lost and it would have sucked.

Was yesterday a gut-wrenching heart-breaking loss? Yes. SOJ - sorry I don't believe it.

Next week we would have worked ourselves into thinking we were going the distance (or further). At some point, any loss, would have felt like the 'what - you did all this just to loose this game'? Maybe you or I wouldn't have felt that, but some/many would.  No matter what, unless they won the big game, someone would be talking about the SOJ.

I've been one-week-at-a-time all year, frankly, always. What you're speculating doesn't apply to me. Losing in the playoffs would have sucked, but we would have gotten into the tournament and that matters after what would have been a 6 week win streak... but to get to the door, and fail to kick it open, is SOJ. That's what they do.

You don't get what people mean when they say SOJ, it's fine, but there is a HUGE portion of this fanbase that gets it. It's not negativity, it's not homerism, it's recognition that every time hope is established, it leads to failure in the biggest moment possible. 

Like Murphy's ******* Law.

I don't believe in SOJ, yesterdays loss has nothing to do w/ 1993 or 1997 and I posted it earlier but we have only lost 4 times in win and in games in our history.  that's not too bad.

At least for me, I never think that previous losses cause future ones.  I always thought of the SOJ moniker to mean that the team chokes in big spots and always finds a way to lose.

For the Steelers, a loss like last week is an anomaly. For the Jets, a loss like this week is the signature of the franchise for the past 40-odd years.

Hmmm, the runs in 08 & 09 say no.  The run in 98 says no.  The FG in Oakland to make the playoffs says no.  FG by Allegre in Miami to make the playoffs says no.  

There are others that say no.  we've had our share of good with all the nightmare losses.  Jets fans, fans in general dwell on the losses and then whoa is me into a yearly ritual.

Its what we do.  Its not a case of not getting it.

Hmmm, the runs in 08 & 09 say no.  The run in 98 says no.  The FG in Oakland to make the playoffs says no.

There are others that say no.  Jets fans, fans in general dwell on the losses and then whoa is me into a yearly ritual.

Its what we do.  Its not a case of not getting it.

Like I pointed out with the Steelers, there are anomalies. In the case of the Jets, the examples you are giving are them.

Nobody remembers the Jets for the 4-5 times they didn't faceplant.

Brett's ankle was in Minnesota, the excuse for him was his bicep which only started to affect him when it got cold and we started losing.  the iron man known for playing through anything gets to use an injury excuse.  you can't make this stuff up especially for a guy who wasn't good most of that season.

Blaming the cold as an excuse for a guy that made his career in Lambeau Field? Really????

losses like this happen for basically every team not named NE b/c they usually have the div wrapped up by mid dec.

it was a bad loss, nothing more. 

That's actually incorrect.  Yesterday's loss was one of a kind.  A loss that no other team in the history of the NFL has had happen.

NFL network said yesterday morning that it was the first time in league history that a head coach had a chance to knock his former employer out of the playoffs one year after being fired by them.  That's the kind of stuff people are referring to when they say SOJ.

Much like the loss at NE last season when they became the only team in NFL history to lose a game in which they rushed for 250+ yards, had the ball for 40+ minutes and no turnovers.

However...at least we're not Browns fans?

I've been one-week-at-a-time all year, frankly, always. What you're speculating doesn't apply to me. Losing in the playoffs would have sucked, but we would have gotten into the tournament and that matters after what would have been a 6 week win streak... but to get to the door, and fail to kick it open, is SOJ. That's what they do.

You don't get what people mean when they say SOJ, it's fine, but there is a HUGE portion of this fanbase that gets it. It's not negativity, it's not homerism, it's recognition that every time hope is established, it leads to failure in the biggest moment possible. 

Like Murphy's ******* Law.

Sorry, two AFC Championships; you can look at them 2 ways, they choked or they were good enough to get there.  Every year 31 teams fail to win the super bowl.  Ever year, 20 teams don't make the playoffs.  If you ever loose a big game or choke its the SOJ? So the Pats are same of chokers for choking to the Giants or the 45-3 beating they took way back in the super bowl.

Didn't we back ourselves into the plaoyoffs one year? The whole NFL complained that the colts let us in.

Yesterday sucked. Period.

SOJ would have given up at halftime or at 14-0;

What I am saying doesn't apply to you - I get it.  But to be fair, telling me I don't get SOJ isn't fair either.  In this discussion, I would like to know how many people who really know what SOJ means would have dropped this on the team, had they won yesterday and lost in the post season? What, we beat the Pats once this year, SOJ for loosing.  KC wasn't really that good SOJ; Cincy - hell they never win a playoff game, SOJ.

Sooner or later, all but 1 team eventually looses 'chokes' on a game their fans thought they should have won.  Just saying...

That's actually incorrect.  Yesterday's loss was one of a kind.  A loss that no other team in the history of the NFL has had happen.

NFL network said yesterday morning that it was the first time in league history that a head coach had a chance to knock his former employer out of the playoffs one year after being fired by them.  That's the kind of stuff people are referring to when they say SOJ.

Much like the loss at NE last season when they became the only team in NFL history to lose a game in which they rushed for 250+ yards, had the ball for 40+ minutes and no turnovers.

However...at least we're not Browns fans?

only to lose to former coach but one of a million to lose win and in game.

Like I pointed out with the Steelers, there are anomalies. In the case of the Jets, the examples you are giving are them.

Nobody remembers the Jets for the 4-5 times they didn't faceplant.

What?  The example I gave are wins.  You think theyre the only ones? 

No but fans like you will remind us as if they have absolutely anything to do with what happened yesterday.  And that they losses over the years arent because we didnt have as much talent as others but because of some SOJ nonsense that some buy into

So, because we lost to Rex we are SOJ; are we SOJ because we fired a truly wonderful coach? Or are we SOJ, because our ex-coach went to our division to a pretty good, but perennial looser and knocked us out?

You mean a coach who had ill filling towards us and who has had a record of playing spoiler was able to play without fear, with nothing to loose, threw the kitchen sink at us and managed a win actually beat us.  A coach who clearly placed beating us above taking his team to the playoffs; who when playing for the real would never go for it on 4th down, whose team was out of the playoffs weeks earlier?

Okay, if loosing a game based on some ridiculous never before these guys come up with every week/year make us SOJ - so be it.

Sorry, two AFC Championships; you can look at them 2 ways, they choked or they were good enough to get there.  Every year 31 teams fail to win the super bowl.  Ever year, 20 teams don't make the playoffs.  If you ever loose a big game or choke its the SOJ? So the Pats are same of chokers for choking to the Giants or the 45-3 beating they took way back in the super bowl.

Didn't we back ourselves into the plaoyoffs one year? The whole NFL complained that the colts let us in.

Yesterday sucked. Period.

SOJ would have given up at halftime or at 14-0;

What I am saying doesn't apply to you - I get it.  But to be fair, telling me I don't get SOJ isn't fair either.  In this discussion, I would like to know how many people who really know what SOJ means would have dropped this on the team, had they won yesterday and lost in the post season? What, we beat the Pats once this year, SOJ for loosing.  KC wasn't really that good SOJ; Cincy - hell they never win a playoff game, SOJ.

Sooner or later, all but 1 team eventually looses 'chokes' on a game their fans thought they should have won.  Just saying...

Well, I've told you what we mean when we say SOJ seven different ways, and each time, you come back with over-explanations that miss the point. So, you don't get it. I don't think it's unfair to say so. 

We don't need to talk about it further. I'm talking about what did happen, you are talking about hypothetical things that are all contingent on us having made the playoffs. The point is, SOJ have a golden opportunity to make the playoffs, and they poop their pants.

What?  The example I gave are wins.  You think theyre the only ones? 

No but fans like you will remind us as if they have absolutely anything to do with what happened yesterday.  And that they losses over the years arent because we didnt have as much talent as others but because of some SOJ nonsense that some buy into

Do you know what anomaly means?

SOJ isn't something you buy into like voodoo... it's a descriptor for when the Jets have a chance to change the way everyone thinks of them, and fail to do it. For example, with yesterday...

Before the game: "I can't believe it, the Jets just won 5 straight games, and are on the cusp of the playoffs. They just have to beat Rex, their old coach, whose teams usually quit on him by now, and have nothing to play for." 

After the game: "The Jets did what they always do. They choked, they don't make the playoffs and to make it worse, they let Rex be the one that stopped them."

Living up to a reputation of shame and disappointment isn't some "nonsense" that you buy into. It just is what it is... it's the Jets. Their actions define them.

Well, I've told you what we mean when we say SOJ seven different ways, and each time, you come back with over-explanations that miss the point. So, you don't get it. I don't think it's unfair to say so. 

We don't need to talk about it further. I'm talking about what did happen, you are talking about hypothetical things that are all contingent on us having made the playoffs. The point is, SOJ have a golden opportunity to make the playoffs, and they poop their pants.

Didn't realize that we didn't back into the playoffs or didn't go to 2 championship games, the Pats didn't get embarrassed in a super bowl.

And I keep pointing out that under many peoples definitions, this team will always be SOJ until they win the super bowl.  I think you are missing that point.  If SOJ means you don't win the super bowl or that at some point in the season you drop a game that many thought it was tough, than yes I guess they are the SOJ.  They let you/us down.

I don't buy that definition. But, sure they are the SOJ who haven't wont the big game since 1969.  They are the same SOJ who haven't been to the super bowl since 1969.  I thought last year was a SOJ circus, I guess I don't get it. You win.

I've come to the opinion that we are cursed...maybe it goes back to Namath and his guarantee. Perhaps the football gods decided to stick it to us forevermore.

all joking aside, I think we're cursed.

The Browns never won a Bowl then the team move to Baltimore in 1996 and have won 2 bowls since they moved and you think we are cursed??

That would only happen to the Jets is the point brother. The "Ironman" of the league gets hurt and ends up getting knocked out of playoff contention by the very same "Noodle-Arm" QB that was thrown out with the trash in order for him to replace????

That should furthermore show you how its a "SOJ" thing going on here. You simply couldn't make this sh*t up lol.

Then of course the very next year we watch Favre move on to Minnesota to have an MVP-type season and reach the NFCCG. 

Do you know what anomaly means?

SOJ isn't something you buy into like voodoo... it's a descriptor for when the Jets have a chance to change the way everyone thinks of them, and fail to do it. For example, with yesterday...

Before the game: "I can't believe it, the Jets just won 5 straight games, and are on the cusp of the playoffs. They just have to beat Rex, their old coach, whose teams usually quit on him by now, and have nothing to play for." 

After the game: "The Jets did what they always do. They choked, they don't make the playoffs and to make it worse, they let Rex be the one that stopped them."

Living up to a reputation of shame and disappointment isn't some "nonsense" that you buy into. It just is what it is... it's the Jets. Their actions define them.

Do you not get that what theyve done in the past is only an issue when its a loss?  When was the last time they lost a game like this? That cost us this much?  How many years ago?  That is hasnt happened since what 97 its not something expected to happen doesnt strike you as a reason that SOJ is a fan creation

That would only happen to the Jets is the point brother. The "Ironman" of the league gets hurt and ends up getting knocked out of playoff contention by the very same "Noodle-Arm" QB that was thrown out with the trash in order for him to replace????

That should furthermore show you how its a "SOJ" thing going on here. You simply couldn't make this sh*t up lol.

Then of course the very next year we watch Favre move on to Minnesota to have an MVP-type season and reach the NFCCG. 

Other than just about every NFL team can point to at least one season that was destroyed by injury.  Happens, not just to us.  Otherwise SOJ could be SOD, the fins with that gimpy armed QB were destroyed a week later in a manner that would have had Jets fans saying SOJ

Ahhhh, I got ya.... Little slow this Monday. 

Didn't realize that we didn't back into the playoffs or didn't go to 2 championship games, the Pats didn't get embarrassed in a super bowl.

And I keep pointing out that under many peoples definitions, this team will always be SOJ until they win the super bowl.  I think you are missing that point.  If SOJ means you don't win the super bowl or that at some point in the season you drop a game that many thought it was tough, than yes I guess they are the SOJ.  They let you/us down.

I don't buy that definition. But, sure they are the SOJ who haven't wont the big game since 1969.  They are the same SOJ who haven't been to the super bowl since 1969.  I thought last year was a SOJ circus, I guess I don't get it. You win.

Nobody is denying the wins, those are anomalies. I've already explained this. This franchise is defined by years of perpetually ripping the heart out of their fans, not because they missed the SB, but because they build hope, then tear it down.

So, no, SOJ doesn't mean "they didn't win the SB". Nobody really ever uses it in that context. Mid-season games, where they ******* screw the pooch and people say, "damn, that was a SOJ performance" they are not lamenting that we didn't win the SB mid-season. Your definition is inaccurate.

You're entitled to think about it however you want, but I'm telling you flat out, your understanding of it is a gross misunderstanding. So, you could either consider what I'm saying and maybe try and understand it... or you can continue to crash into me with hypothetical rebuttals that ignore what actually happens in these SOJ games.

Either way, I'm glad you are trying to be positive about it... 

Nobody is denying the wins, those are anomalies. I've already explained this. This franchise is defined by years of perpetually ripping the heart out of their fans, not because they missed the SB, but because they build hope, then tear it down.

So, no, SOJ doesn't mean "they didn't win the SB". Nobody really ever uses it in that context. Mid-season games, where they ******* screw the pooch and people say, "damn, that was a SOJ performance" they are not lamenting that we didn't win the SB mid-season. Your definition is inaccurate.

You're entitled to think about it however you want, but I'm telling you flat out, your understanding of it is a gross misunderstanding. So, you could either consider what I'm saying and maybe try and understand it... or you can continue to crash into me with hypothetical rebuttals that ignore what actually happens in these SOJ games.

Either way, I'm glad you are trying to be positive about it... 

Then don't have any hope. With the Jets EXPECT NOTHING

Do you not get that what theyve done in the past is only an issue when its a loss?  When was the last time they lost a game like this? That cost us this much?  How many years ago?  That is hasnt happened since what 97 its not something expected to happen doesnt strike you as a reason that SOJ is a fan creation

The way we lost to Rex in the first matchup this year, was a SOJ loss. 

SOJ is absolutely a fan "creation". It's the banner we, as Jet fans, march beneath whether we accept it or not.

Archived