Steelers and Silly Tiebreaker

kevinc855

Yes I know we blew our own destiny away with a SOJ game but is anyone else bothered that the Steelers with the same record are in and we are not? We had no head to head game either (in fact last head to head last year we won). I understand the silly conference record thing but it may be time for the NFL to institute a play in like baseball does. I just feel the Steelers didn't earn this berth anymore then we blew it.

Yes I know we blew our own destiny away with a SOJ game but is anyone else bothered that the Steelers with the same record are in and we are not? We had no head to head game either (in fact last head to head last year we won). I understand the silly conference record thing but it may be time for the NFL to institute a play in like baseball does. I just feel the Steelers didn't earn this berth anymore then we blew it.

Beat the Raiders and we have the tiebreaker. Both teams blew games late in the season

The NFL couldn't get an 18-game schedule approved; there's just no way a schedule that includes a Week 18 will happen.  Baseball makes it work with the extra wild card play-in game because it occurs immediately after the season.  A 1-game playoff in the NFL pushes the whole postseason back a week and provides a defacto "2nd bye week" for the 28 or 30 other teams not involved in the play-in(s).  And TWO weeks off for the top 2 seeds in each conference.

The Jets' performance yesterday said "We don't care, let Steelers have it."

can't have a 1 game playoff, doesn't work in NFL.

the tiebreakers have been the same forever, sometimes they work for us(1985, 1986, 2002, 2004, 2009) and sometimes they work against us.  we had destiny in our hands against a bad team and blew it.

1. Head-to-head, if applicable. n/a
  2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
  3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.
  4. Strength of victory.
  5. Strength of schedule.
  6. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
  7. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
  8. Best net points in conference games.
  9. Best net points in all games.
  10. Best net touchdowns in all games.
  11. Coin toss.

we didn't play head to head

we had same AFC record(7-5)

it came down to common games

common opponents:

NE(NYJ 1-1, Pit 0-1)

Cle(NYJ 1-0, Pit 2-0)

Oak(NYJ 0-1, Pit 1-0)

Ind(NYJ 1-0, Pit 1-0)

total: NYJ 3-2 Pitt 4-1

even if we beat Oakland and tie at 4-1 vs. common opponents we would have lost tiebreaker #4 which is strength of victory

Pitt did what they had to do and we did not.

This isn't baseball where 1 extra "pre-playoffs" game means 163 games instead of 162 (basically the same thing).

These guys aren't playing a 17th freebie game and I don't blame them. 

Even worse, then the winner is that much more beaten up compared to others. 

And what if there are 3 teams with the same record not 2? Then what? Lol. 

Flip the script, is it still silly?

Bottom line is this: Bills x2, Eagles, Raiders, TJ Yates, 

That TJ Yaes game still blows my mind. As does us not scoring on the botched punt turnover against the Bills. Man every play of every game matters

the Bills games are why Pitt is headed in,specifically yesterdays game.  we didn't need tiebreakers and we showed up like we didn't want to play.  No excuses.

ya that is the bottom line, jets had a win and get in, steelers was win and pray. Jets deserve to be left out

Archived