Rex Ryan: the official 2016 point & laugh thread

Integrity28

rex cost us the playoffs? he might have cost the jets more than that. without those 2 rex coached bills team losses,  the jets would be 12-4. dont know how the tie breakers go, but possibly the afc east crown, first round bye, and home field throughout

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

rex cost us the playoffs? he might have cost the jets more than that. without those 2 rex coached bills team losses,  the jets would be 12-4. dont know how the tie breakers go, but possibly the afc east crown, first round bye, and home field throughout

Rex cost us the season he out coached Bowles and the Bills outplayed the Jets/Bowles game plan.

I lost an arm-wrestling match to a kid named PJ once. 7th grade. PJ had multiple sclerosis. Now, for context's sake, I was a late bloomer and was a puny 95 lbs at that age and winning that arm wresting match probably made PJ feel pretty good--normal--even though I was embarrassed about it for years. These days, I'm 6'2, 245 lbs and can crush rocks with my bare hands, and I'm pretty sure I could snap PJ's arms off of his spindly little body in a rematch, but the point is that I can't deny that, one time, PJ rose up and beat me solid.

Gotta say, I was at that game and though I'm still not sure missing out on Beckham the lunatic was worth it, it was ******* glorious walking out of that stadium and walking past Fins fans in tears, yelling bitterly at Jets fans as we walked out. I felt like Keanu Reeves in The Replacements after the two offensive linemen shot the starting quarterback's car.

Yeah, after that game is when I learned my Phag fan friend could dish it out, but not take it.

In the long run, that outcome had great effect for both sides. We missed out on Beckham and they were quicker to move on from their useless coach and general manager. Fortunately, it's the Dolphins, so they've already f*cked it up by hiring Tannenbaum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I lost an arm-wrestling match to a kid named PJ once. 7th grade. PJ had multiple sclerosis. Now, for context's sake, I was a late bloomer and was a puny 95 lbs at that age and winning that arm wresting match probably made PJ feel pretty good--normal--even though I was embarrassed about it for years. These days, I'm 6'2, 245 lbs and can crush rocks with my bare hands, and I'm pretty sure I could snap PJ's arms off of his spindly little body in a rematch, but the point is that I can't pretend that, one time, PJ rose up and beat me solid.

Some rocks are very fragile and easy to break. 

yeah screw him.  I don't want playoff runs I want level headed press conferences!!

now that the circus left town I'm basking in the glory of all this professionalism!! 

Did you all see the way Bowles calmly answered questions about their embarrassing collapse?  I would have felt way worse about it had he emoted..  would have been embarrassing. 

What a great time to be a Jet fan.

Losing a game against a team that is a bad match-up for you falls far short of "embarrassing collapse."

Also, Rex Ryan has not made the playoffs in half a decade, so I'm not sure what exactly we're missing.

I'm happy for the guy.  Only good thing to come out of yesterday.  Idzik screwed Rex and almost ruined his career.  Then the Jets go out and build the team Rex had been begging for.  Ha, you know Rex had to be really damn pissed.

Maybe we lucked out getting Bowles and he'll be a good head coach.  Not bad his rookie season, but I'd bet we'd be in the playoffs now if Rex was coaching this team.

Rex 2  Jets 0.  Hopefully next season Bowles can win at least one of the matchups.

What happened the two seasons before Idzik arrived?

fwiw.. i am shocked anyone is surprised by this outcome. I've been saying for 3 weeks to friends and family that the Jets will beat the pats and implode in the worst way possible by losing to Rex to miss the playoffs. It was absolutely written in stone as the most jettiest of jet outcomes that could've happened. I can only hope that it caused T0mShane to go into a deep depression and quit the internets 4lyfe, at least something good would've come of the latest episode of SOJ

When is teh mafia starting?

A recent history lesson... We barely beat a bad Giants team, needing a bonehead call from Coughlin to help us get to OT.  We barely beat a bad Cowboys team, starting their 5th(ish) QB of the year.  We nearly blew it to a depleted New England team, and needed a mistake on the coin toss to secure that win.  We didn't come into this game some dynasty upset by the underdog, we came into this game an average team on a nice winning streak who got beat by a team who's offensive line is better than our defensive line (sadly, considering the equity) and who's defensive line is better than our offensive line, and who's top WR was better than our top CB.  Honestly, this game was nearly a carbon copy of the Houston game.

Losing a game against a team that is a bad match-up for you falls far short of "embarrassing collapse."

Also, Rex Ryan has not made the playoffs in half a decade, so I'm not sure what exactly we're missing.

The two things are not dependent on one another and are indeed both true.

Rex does suck

And this was an "embarrassing collapse" anyway you slice it, the team coached by the big personality we just fired beat us to end our season in a year that AFC lacks a dominant team.

What happened the two seasons before Idzik arrived?

Man I don't remember every season's roster and issues.  Probably gradually declining roster of players and just some normal issues.  Not gonna make the playoffs every year.  When given a solid team, Rex was a good HC.  Hell, when given $hit teams, he was still a good coach.

Some people are just impatient and love change.  I woulda kept Rex and I think Bowles under-performed with this squad.  But I'm not calling for his head.  With time I hope Bowles gets better.  Gotta give him at least three years.  I wouldn't doubt some here will want him fired if he misses the playoffs again next year.  Different ways of looking at things I suppose.  I happen to think changing coaches regularly is dumb.  Teams should use common sense.  If the roster sucks, the coach can only do so much.  if the roster is good but you have a new coach... gotta give him time.

Man I don't remember every season's roster and issues.  Probably gradually declining roster of players and just some normal issues.  Not gonna make the playoffs every year.  When given a solid team, Rex was a good HC.  Hell, when given $hit teams, he was still a good coach.

Some people are just impatient and love change.  I woulda kept Rex and I think Bowles under-performed with this squad.  But I'm not calling for his head.  With time I hope Bowles gets better.  Gotta give him at least three years.  I wouldn't doubt some here will want him fired if he misses the playoffs again next year.  Different ways of looking at things I suppose.  I happen to think changing coaches regularly is dumb.  Teams should use common sense.  If the roster sucks, the coach can only do so much.  if the roster is good but you have a new coach... gotta give him time.

You made the comment that Idzik ruined Ryan's career or something to that effect.  Considering the team went 8-8 and then 6-10 before he arrived, the argument kind of falls flat.

Meanwhile, Rex Ryan took a team that was on the rise, had one of the leagues best defenses in Buffalo, and they took a huge step back, despite their ability to beat the Jets.  Rex Ryan provided another Rex Ryan season, in fact.  He won his personal Super Bowls without accomplishing anything real.  At this point, Ryan's successes are the anomaly.  

The two things are not dependent on one another and are indeed both true.

Rex does suck

And this was an "embarrassing collapse" anyway you slice it, the team coached by the big personality we just fired beat us to end our season in a year that AFC lacks a dominant team.

1 game does not an "embarrassing collapse" make.  An embarrassing loss, perhaps.  The New York Rangers are amidst an "embarrassing collapse" from Stanley Cup runner-up to Easter Conference Finals runner-up to can't win a game.  This was a sh*tty and frustrating loss by a team that was only okay, and proved that all season long.  Sure, we got emotionally invested, and that's what hurts, but to actually think this team was going anywhere was foolish.

You made the comment that Idzik ruined Ryan's career or something to that effect.  Considering the team went 8-8 and then 6-10 before he arrived, the argument kind of falls flat.

Meanwhile, Rex Ryan took a team that was on the rise, had one of the leagues best defenses in Buffalo, and they took a huge step back, despite their ability to beat the Jets.  Rex Ryan provided another Rex Ryan season, in fact.  He won his personal Super Bowls without accomplishing anything real.  At this point, Ryan's successes are the anomaly.  

Ok, we'll agree to disagree.  If I had to guess, Rex will do better in Buffalo next year.  Again, new coach there.  It will take some time to get things rolling.  Hope Bowles can do the same here.  What's annoying is that this team would have been great for Rex. 

Oh well, on the bright side, at least my Sundays are free again.

1 game does not an "embarrassing collapse" make.  An embarrassing loss, perhaps.  The New York Rangers are amidst an "embarrassing collapse" from Stanley Cup runner-up to Easter Conference Finals runner-up to can't win a game.  This was a sh*tty and frustrating loss by a team that was only okay, and proved that all season long.  Sure, we got emotionally invested, and that's what hurts, but to actually think this team was going anywhere was foolish.

your context, reason, and rationality in this thread is upsetting me.

That's true It's what fans do...It must be especially bad for the Rex hater brigade to think if they beat that terrible HC twice they would have tied the Pats for the East..:(

you're nitpicking . If you don't see the poetic justice for anyone who doesn't like the jets and/or likes Rex, you are missing what's obvious. Who we lost to and what it cost us is what's embarrassing

And I'm sorry but while reading the laundry list of the teams faults and shaking my head in agreement with all of them, ultimately I fail to see the point. Yes we're not a powerhouse team, but the larger point I think is that the AFC is lacking a powerhouse team this year. I see nothing out there that is unbeatable for this Jets team the way they've played the back 1/3 of the season 

you're nitpicking . If you don't see the poetic justice for anyone who doesn't like the jets and/or likes Rex, you are missing what's obvious. Who we lost to and what is cost us is what's embarrassing

And I'm sorry but while reading the laundry list of the teams faults and shaking my head in agreement with all of them, ultimately I fail to see the point. Yes we're not a powerhouse team, but the larger point I think is that the AFC is lacking a powerhouse team this year. I see nothing out there that is unbeatable for this Jets team the way they've played the back 1/3 of the season 

+1 When's the last time you saw the Pats close out the season going 2-4 in their last 6 games..

+1 When's the last time you saw the Pats close out the season going 2-4 in their last 6 games..

Well we went 5-1 but had to rely on a bone head coughlin decision and yadda yadda yadda to do it .. clearly we are inferior 

Rex is going to win a Super Bowl and next season make the playoffs.

The Bills will have a better defense in year 2 of Rexs scheme.

this might be the weakest attempt at trolling ever.. I'm curious to see if you hook any of the guppies

Kind of hard to be worse that 20 with all that talent. 

Not really going out on a limb

I don't think it's all that hypothetical.  He had done well here before with similar defenses and the offense this season was arguably better than (or at least on par with) anything he was ever given to work with.

It is what it is.  Yesterday sucked.  Just saying I'm not mad at Rex and if anyone had to be spoiler, glad it was him.  He deserved a little revenge.

Good lord. Do you know what hypothetical means?

There's a few things I take away from our season that should help next year:

1)  I think Rex learned his lesson and that is:  don't over promise and under deliver.  It's been pure bedlam among the fans here in Buffalo since we didn't receive what was promised.

2)  It appears that Rex tamed  it down a little on the sidelines.  His behavior had to be a distraction to our players on the field.

3)  Rex started to ask/listen to his defense about plays.  In the last couple of games (too little too late),  he has given players choices and also asked if they felt comfortable with certain plays.

4)  We are now going into our second season with pretty much the same players/ talent.  There will be changes but I don't see a house sweeping.  Also,  Percy Harvin wants to play.  Kyle Williams is set to be back in 2016.  It's also  looking good for Aaron Williams as the neck injury doesn't appear to be career threatening.  

What still needs work:

1)  Tyler will readily admit that he needs to get the ball out quicker.  This kid has improved all year and will continue to improve.

2)  We need a new DC that will run the defense and let Rex stay out of the plays and just do his job as an HC

3)  We may be looking for a new OC as it looks like Greg Roman may be heading for an HC position.  At least there's been talk about it.

1)  I think Rex learned his lesson and that is:  don't over promise and under deliver.  It's been pure bedlam among the fans here in Buffalo since we didn't receive what was promised.

2)  It appears that Rex tamed  it down a little on the sidelines.  His behavior had to be a distraction to our players on the field.

3)  Rex started to ask/listen to his defense about plays.  In the last couple of games (too little too late),  he has given players choices and also asked if they felt comfortable with certain plays.

4)  We are now going into our second season with pretty much the same players/ talent.  There will be changes but I don't see a house sweeping.  Also,  Percy Harvin wants to play.  Kyle Williams is set to be back in 2016.  It's also  looking good for Aaron Williams as the neck injury doesn't appear to be career threatening.  

What still needs work:

1)  Tyler will readily admit that he needs to get the ball out quicker.  This kid has improved all year and will continue to improve.

2)  We need a new DC that will run the defense and let Rex stay out of the plays and just do his job as an HC

3)  We may be looking for a new OC as it looks like Greg Roman may be heading for an HC position.  At least there's been talk about it.

congrats jeaniec.  I told my nephew I want the watkins jersey back I got him for xmas so I can burn it, lol

What still needs work:

ALL OF THESE ARE LIES

What still needs work:

This doesn't sound all too familiar. At all.

What still needs work:

These sound vaguely familiar.

Not sure if it was Jets fans saying the same things all during his gig here or if was a list you posted this last off season.

Best bet is both. :D

Archived