Rex Ryan: the official 2016 point & laugh thread

Integrity28

In the long term, I think having a coach with Bowles demeanor is better.  Rex runs hot and cold.  Mostly cold and I think that impacts performance.  Bowles is the same guy in a loss as he is in a win.  IMO - you need that, not someone with fan like emotional attributes. 

It might have been helpful to have the team get hot for the Buffalo game. 

I like Todd Bowles by the way. Coaches coach and players play. Give Rex this team (revis, marshall etc) they'd be in a similar spot.  Last year this board seemed to believe Rex was holding this team back. I don't agree with that at all. He's an excellent defensive coach and one of the few in the league who can make an actual difference in the outcome of the game. Bowles is a good dude and all but it's not clear that he's special in any particular way. Other than being classy. 

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Better this year.  But acting like the Ravens suck off one year is incredibly short-sighted.  I'm talking about a decision they made back in 2009 (hiring Harbaugh and letting Rex walk) as well as a more recent one (letting Tyrod Taylor end up Rex's QB). 

Given all the smart moves they've been making since the late 90's, I'd say they get a pass for one bad season.  As an organization, they don't suck at all.  They're one of the top franchises in the NFL.  They've had the same GM since 2002 and the same HC since 2009.  They're stable. 

Um.... you might want to rethink whether the Ravens regret that move.  They trotted Matt Schaub, Jimmy Clausen and Ryan Mallet out there to start games.  You don't think they would have preferred Taylor?  Matt Mr. Pick Six Schaub was the man they had to turn to when Flacco went down.  Oh and they paid Schaub a million more than Taylor got.  Genius!

I like Todd Bowles by the way. Coaches coach and players play. Give Rex this team (revis, marshall etc) they'd be in a similar spot.  Last year this board seemed to believe Rex was holding this team back. I don't agree with that at all. He's an excellent defensive coach and one of the few in the league who can make an actual difference in the outcome of the game. Bowles is a good dude and all but it's not clear that he's special in any particular way. Other than being classy. 

Well, this is the type of stuff that I just dont agree with and I always argued when people knocked Rex for "not having the team ready vs. the Steelers".  If you need a coach to get you going for a win and in game or a championship game, then you shouldnt be playing sports.  Players can motivate too.  Marshall and Fitz have never made the postseason. They can get the team fired up.  It doesnt always have to be the coach.

I agree.  I think Rex can scheme and game plan very well.  His game plans vs. Manning and Brady in 2010 were nothing short of genius.  But I think his other antics hold him back from being a great Head Coach.

Like I said earlier, I'm taking a wait and see approach this time around and not going to get to excited about Bowles but I like what I see so far. 

Um.... you might want to rethink whether the Ravens regret that move.  They trotted Matt Schaub, Jimmy Clausen and Ryan Mallet out there to start games.  You don't think they would have preferred Taylor?  Matt Mr. Pick Six Schaub was the man they had to turn to when Flacco went down.  Oh and they paid Schaub a million more than Taylor got.  Genius!

As most teams who have a franchise QB recongize, if your starter goes down, you're screwed anyways.  Look around the league:  Any teams with franchise QB's have anything special as their backup?  Taylor did indeed come cheap on a 3-year deal, but acting like this makes the Ravens some stupid organization is laughable.  That season was a lost cause early on even when Flacco was healthy, meaning Taylor wouldn't have been able to save it.  But going forward their track record suggests they'll be just fine.  Meanwhile, the Bills will probably hand Taylor a big, ill-advised extension.

But yeah, go ahead and use these short-term results to suggest they suck.  The team with 2 Super Bowl titles and 9 playoff seasons in the last 16.  The Bills haven't made the postseason once in that span, and won't anytime soon with Rex in charge.

No need to sell facts that everyone here knows.

Stats dont necessarily support that LOS position.  We had more sacks, better rushing yardage, etc.  Taylor had to scramble a lot (10 times and was their leading rusher).

The Jets had plenty of chances to win that game and just didnt capitalize.  With ST's killing us, again.  I think it's a pretty even match-up just at the end of each game, the Bills made more plays.  

Revis literally retired on the field right before our very eyes. 

The stats are skewed by the fact that they had the ball all game and we had one 58 yard run.  Watching that game, I think it's extremely obvious who won at the LOS.

I'm not saying that we shouldn't have won, I'm not saying we were dominated, I'm not even saying that it wasn't a disappointment.  I'm just adding some actual football thoughts as opposed to the team "coming out flat" and "blowing it" and whatever other nonsense excuses people are throwing around because they don't like to acknowledge that just because we may be better than the Bills in many ways, they're capable of just beating us.  I'm sure if people switched views, they could see a number of times the Bills messed up, leaving points on the board.

We agree on Revis... 24 hours before the game, I was getting killed for saying he's not the player he used to be.  I think I'm supposed to spam every single thread now to remind everyone of that.

Literally no one said Rex was holding last years team back.

I haven't watched the game again.  Not sure if I will.  I missed a good part of the first half besides.  I was bitching about Revis as much as anyone, but there was at least one play I was about to blame him for and it turned out to be GIlchrist.  I was yelling that Bowles should stop manning up Watkins and try to bracket him - since he was killing us.  It was 3rd and medium length they were in a bunch.  Watkins ran up and stopped while the other two kept going and the DB was insanely slow to recognize and shoot up.  I was blaming Revis, but the replay clearly showed it was Gilchrist.  I'm not sure why Gilchrist wasn't jumping that route.  It seemed to be what the coverage was designed for, but I have to admit I cursed Revis a few times for that play before I saw that he had inside coverage and Gilchrist had the short.  Wiliiams getting rolled by Greg ******* Salas didn't help much either.

when seattle won the Super Bowl they were the most penalized team in football. It's not clear that there's a connection between winning and fewer penalties. 

As for this whole thread I have one simple question is Todd Bowles a better coach than Rex Ryan? Are we all so sure about that? Some of these calls down the stretch, Rex would be killed for. 

yes... REX would be run out of town and I for one am not impressed with Todd Bowl;es sideline calls but, it was time for a change.

REX, IMO, cost the Bills at least 1 game, perhaps 2 with poor calls and he is in his 7th year. 

IMO, MacCagnan has been the difference and not sure if REX and he would "gel". 

yes... REX would be run out of town and I for one am not impressed with Todd Bowl;es sideline calls but, it was time for a change.

REX, IMO, cost the Bills at least 1 game, perhaps 2 with poor calls and he is in his 7th year. 

IMO, MacCagnan has been the difference and not sure if REX and he would "gel". 

Hahaha, CPA...looks like you've carried over your penchant for random capitalizations and outright hatred of Rex from JI without skipping a beat!

Its funny, when we lost to the Bills the first time, I told my Bills co-worker that I guaranteed the Jets would be a win and in scenario vs. the Bills on the final game of the season and 100% guaranteed him we'd lose.  He reminded me of this yesterday.  So stupid that I started to believe.

My brother texted me immediately after blaming it all on me, On Christmas he was telling me they are going to lose to the Pats for sure, and I said silly boy, that is not how the jets do things...

Record?  Meh, 1 win either way. No biggie.

Stats?  D regressed.  Offense improved, significantly.

Fans?  Please.  lol

The rest of your comments are poop.

You dont think I figured that out with my first 3 posts simply saying "karma".  lol

You are so easily trolled. 

You're like the dumber Pac, and Pac is posting in ESL.

You know what was refreshing to hear, is Bowles saying "The Jets are a long way away".

No parades. No predictions of greatness and "look what we did".

Straight, unadulterated truth.

THAT is what makes it so much more bearable. An adult is in the room. A coach is in the room. A leader is in the room.

I'm happy for the guy.  Only good thing to come out of yesterday.  Idzik screwed Rex and almost ruined his career.  Then the Jets go out and build the team Rex had been begging for.  Ha, you know Rex had to be really damn pissed.

Maybe we lucked out getting Bowles and he'll be a good head coach.  Not bad his rookie season, but I'd bet we'd be in the playoffs now if Rex was coaching this team.

Rex 2  Jets 0.  Hopefully next season Bowles can win at least one of the matchups.

We're 7-9 w Rex

Archived