Crying over spilled milk, but...

UpstateJetsGuru

I keep replaying that scenario from the 14 yard line in my head...I know we burned a time out in the third quarter, but that may have been a great time to use another one. Fitz had just taken a big shot to the head, and we absolutely had to come away with a score there. A run or a dump off pass would have been ideal on first down to get closer and perhaps set up a play action fade pass, where either our guy makes a play or it goes out of bounds. A third down run or Fitz scramble either gets us the first down or TD, and if not, kick that field goal and take the lead. Even Bullock in the wind should hit from 25 yards out...ugh, I know, time to move on. Playoffs will be tough to watch this year.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fitzpatrick didnt run once yesterday while all year long he kept us in games with is legs I guess Bowles will say it wasn't part of the game plan. 

Im going to miss watching the Jets this season they were fun,competitive and exciting too bad in the end same result as always. 

I keep replaying that scenario from the 14 yard line in my head...I know we burned a time out in the third quarter, but that may have been a great time to use another one. Fitz had just taken a big shot to the head, and we absolutely had to come away with a score there. A run or a dump off pass would have been ideal on first down to get closer and perhaps set up a play action fade pass, where either our guy makes a play or it goes out of bounds. A third down run or Fitz scramble either gets us the first down or TD, and if not, kick that field goal and take the lead. Even Bullock in the wind should hit from 25 yards out...ugh, I know, time to move on. Playoffs will be tough to watch this year.

me too. I didn't realize about ivory but I thought it was a bad call. You play for the lead there with the fg.  I thought fade was also a good idea. 

We we get that fg to take the lead and a decent chance the bills pack it in. 

me too. I didn't realize about ivory but I thought it was a bad call. You play for the lead there with the fg.  I thought fade was also a good idea. 

We we get that fg to take the lead and a decent chance the bills pack it in. 

Agreed. Even though Fitz hadn't been picked in the red zone all season, I had a bad feeling when he released the ball...you have to figure with the drop back, the ball travelled at least 25 yards in the air against the wind, giving the defender even more time to react. Since he undercut the route, it became an easy pick. Not the kind of playcall for that situation, particularly on first down. Also, not to blame Deck, but I was hoping he would do anything if at all humanly possible to stop McKelvin from intercepting that ball....grab his arm, tackle him - hell even horse collar him! 

He had Decker 1on1 on a play they knew had worked against that d before. It looked to me like the defender sort on guessed perfectly and made a great read. It wasn't a bad decision. If we play it safe there and kick a fg and then buff takes the lead again were ripping everyone for being conservative

He had Decker 1on1 on a play they knew had worked against that d before. It looked to me like the defender sort on guessed perfectly and made a great read. It wasn't a bad decision. If we play it safe there and kick a fg and then buff takes the lead again were ripping everyone for being conservative

You're two down and a chip shot FG away from a taking the lead at the end of the 4th Q.  Your number one concern is ball security.  Not taking a shot as if it were 4 and goal down 5.  He knows he should have thrown it away in that spot and reloaded for another try at it.  Mistake, happens.

Hated throwing 25 yards against the wind. It was a bad decision by Fitz & a bad call by Chan. If ever there was a time to run it on 1st down it was in this spot already in FG range! The f*cking guy runs it on 1st down in his own end like 90% of the time. You have a QB with a weak arm in 20 degree weather going against the wind. You want to run that pattern from the 10 yard line I got no problem with it. Did you notice everything from Taylor were short throws or something along the sideline. Ivory might have busted one there to open up the playbook. Really sucked!

Fitzpatrick didnt run once yesterday while all year long he kept us in games with is legs I guess Bowles will say it wasn't part of the game plan. 

Im going to miss watching the Jets this season they were fun,competitive and exciting too bad in the end same result as always. 

He had 12 yds rushing but he didn't do it like he has other times this year..

Its Ryan Fitzpatrick. His typical meltdown during the second half of the season was most certainly delayed this year. He totally made me and others who knew what Fitz was look like fools. Then Fitz literally waited till the 4th quarter of the last game to have that meltdown that he usually has starting somewhere in November. 

The real deceiving part of it, the supporters will only look at it as "one game" not realizing that we're most likely not going to have such an easy schedule like we had this year. Fitz is setting us up for failure again, and we're probably going to pay him "top dollar" to do it! lol. 

Incredible. 

Screen_Shot_2016-01-05_at_7.33.57_AM.thu

Ivory (top right) with a ton of space. 

Decker never had a chance to make a play on the ball. It was like Fitzpatrick forgot which team he was on and threw it to where only McKelvin could get it.

Wiffing at the Bills 14 was huge but we were finally reeling them in and gaining control. With 10 mins left, I was sure we could do it again but on the next drive Fitz chucked a reckless 31-yard bomb on 3rd & 9 and again another INT. I'm shocked they didn't learn from the Pats game after so many unnecessary deep balls failed. Fitzpatrick is no bomb artist. I'm really surprised Gailey went there again. With the game on the line and season ticking away there's no room for error. You have to stick to your best % plays to keep the drive alive. Fitz could've used the dump-off man this time too but gave it no look. Again Ivory had open space ahead. We had five Jets blocking four Bills and OL still failed.Screen Shot 2016-01-05 at 7.33.57 AM

BRICKS_PUNKED_BY_DAREUS.thumb.jpg.6c75e7

Its Ryan Fitzpatrick. His typical meltdown during the second half of the season was most certainly delayed this year. He totally made me and others who knew what Fitz was look like fools. Then Fitz literally waited till the 4th quarter of the last game to have that meltdown that he usually has starting somewhere in November. 

The real deceiving part of it, the supporters will only look at it as "one game" not realizing that we're most likely not going to have such an easy schedule like we had this year. Fitz is setting us up for failure again, and we're probably going to pay him "top dollar" to do it! lol. 

Incredible. 

I guess unless you win a Super Bowl, you likely have a meltdown at some point en route. But the team had been depending on this guy to carry them every week late in games for the past month and a half. When is the onus placed on a team to take some heat and pressure off the QB...for crying out loud, they couldn't run the ball, there were seven or eight drops (some for potential TD's), a defense that couldn't get off the field and give their QB the advantage of the wind to make some downfield throws, missed field goal, 20 yard punt (notice how Bills punter punted a 50 yarder against the wind)...had the rest of the team come to play, we win this game going away. Fitz throws his first redzone pick all year and he is setting us up for future failure? Give me a break. I didn't like the call or the throw to be sure, but consider what happened after the INT as well...ten minutes left on the clock, and the defense AGAIN allows Tyrod and the Bills to march down the field and eat clock. Less than four minutes left, Fitz again starts to march the team down the field and on third and long, spots Marshall streaking deep down the left sideline. poised to make a potential big throw, he is blasted by mega pass rusher Marcell Dareus, who blows by D'Brick (contrast to how much time Taylor had to throw all game). Of course the ball floats into Manny Lawson's hands...notice how the Bills defenders seem to have better hands than Jets receivers, who evidently have trouble even with shovel passes. Finally, with less than 30 seconds left, Fitz throws probably his best pass of the day, a perfect strike to a streaking Tompkins which, had it been secured, would have been an amazing last second touchdown for the Jets...but, it would only be fitting that the ball would not be secured. Game over. 

I guess unless you win a Super Bowl, you likely have a meltdown at some point en route. But the team had been depending on this guy to carry them every week late in games for the past month and a half. When is the onus placed on a team to take some heat and pressure off the QB...for crying out loud, they couldn't run the ball, there were seven or eight drops (some for potential TD's), a defense that couldn't get off the field and give their QB the advantage of the wind to make some downfield throws, missed field goal, 20 yard punt (notice how Bills punter punted a 50 yarder against the wind)...had the rest of the team come to play, we win this game going away. Fitz throws his first redzone pick all year and he is setting us up for future failure? Give me a break. I didn't like the call or the throw to be sure, but consider what happened after the INT as well...ten minutes left on the clock, and the defense AGAIN allows Tyrod and the Bills to march down the field and eat clock. Less than four minutes left, Fitz again starts to march the team down the field and on third and long, spots Marshall streaking deep down the left sideline. poised to make a potential big throw, he is blasted by mega pass rusher Marcell Dareus, who blows by D'Brick (contrast to how much time Taylor had to throw all game). Of course the ball floats into Manny Lawson's hands...notice how the Bills defenders seem to have better hands than Jets receivers, who evidently have trouble even with shovel passes. Finally, with less than 30 seconds left, Fitz throws probably his best pass of the day, a perfect strike to a streaking Tompkins which, had it been secured, would have been an amazing last second touchdown for the Jets...but, it would only be fitting that the ball would not be secured. Game over. 

great points 

Agreed. I guess if it was Glennon it would be a "team" loss. Incredible.

The ball was blasted out upon arrival by a CB running at full speed. Perfectly timed impact by Mario Butler. 

Like Pace said, the Bills played harder ... 

Playing for a FG there is not a wise move ... Look what happened on the Bills next drive, long, slow, clock consuming drive for a FG, suddenly we're behind again, while board erupts about playing scared.

And if McKelvin didn't get the pick, there was at least a PI flag coming as Decker was already hauling at him to keep him from catching it, so he was doing all he could to stop the turnover.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Agree with everything you have said and don't forget we lost games early this year due to terrible drops at critical times then I had to sit and watch Jets fans blame Fitz for the losses it was borderline moronic. Its nice to see some common sense for once and I for one hope to God Fitz is back next year maybe this time with a competent TE and another back who can catch out of the backfield.

In order to be en route you have to be in the playoffs. Fitz has never been there. 

And yes, Fitz has been converting on the last drive of many games for the past month and a half. Im just putting the same level of criticism on him that we've put on prior Jets QB's. sh*t, atleast Fitz had talent around him. 

Why have a problem with my "future failure" statement. How many years has Fitz been in the league? And how many of those years has Fitz been in the playoffs? Alright then. 

We've had guys like posters on the forum say things like "Fitz hasnt been to the playoffs because he's consistently had bad teams around him". Well, what happened this year? How about giving ME a break. lol. 

Look, we can talk about all the things that went wrong in this game, and its certainly not all Fitz fault. I wasnt even super pissed by the endzone INT, that was just great anticipation by McKelvin given that we pretty much run the same post route in the redzone with Decker and you can tell that McKelvin studied tape. However, McKelvin broke on the route before Decker did and Fitz didnt see it because he already made his mind up to throw the football. With that said though, the two other INT's to end the season is inexcusable. 

I've seen people say "Sheldon Richardson jumping offsides on 4th down was unforgivable" yet I see nothing but excuses when Fitz throws 3 consecutive INT's in three drives in the 4th qtr. to end the season. What part of the game is that? 

Also, players dropped passes, though that pass to Thompkins wasnt a drop, that was a great play by the defender to break it up. You cant blame that on Thompkins as if he dropped the pass. Also, those drops still dont excuse his 3 INT's in the 4th qtr which could have EASILY been 5 or 6 INT's in this game if not for Bills defenders dropping them. So its cool to highlight the drops by the WR's in order to remove blame from Fitz yet not even talk about the 3 dropped INT's that Fitz threw in the game? 

Fitz overall had a solid year, but he was 1 qtr of football away from playing a complete season and what he ended up doing was throwing 3 ints. This is what happens when you have the most talented Jets team with the easiest schedule possibly in Jets history and you miss the playoffs. Fitz received his excuses this year, about how terrible his teams were. That wasnt the case this year and we couldnt get a playoff birth. 

And im putting it square on his shoulders because when we were winning everyone was putting that square on his shoulders. 

In order to be en route you have to be in the playoffs. Fitz has never been there. 

And yes, Fitz has been converting on the last drive of many games for the past month and a half. Im just putting the same level of criticism on him that we've put on prior Jets QB's. sh*t, atleast Fitz had talent around him. 

Why have a problem with my "future failure" statement. How many years has Fitz been in the league? And how many of those years has Fitz been in the playoffs? Alright then. 

We've had guys like posters on the forum say things like "Fitz hasnt been to the playoffs because he's consistently had bad teams around him". Well, what happened this year? How about giving ME a break. lol. 

Look, we can talk about all the things that went wrong in this game, and its certainly not all Fitz fault. I wasnt even super pissed by the endzone INT, that was just great anticipation by McKelvin given that we pretty much run the same post route in the redzone with Decker and you can tell that McKelvin studied tape. However, McKelvin broke on the route before Decker did and Fitz didnt see it because he already made his mind up to throw the football. With that said though, the two other INT's to end the season is inexcusable. 

I've seen people say "Sheldon Richardson jumping offsides on 4th down was unforgivable" yet I see nothing but excuses when Fitz throws 3 consecutive INT's in three drives in the 4th qtr. to end the season. What part of the game is that? 

Also, players dropped passes, though that pass to Thompkins wasnt a drop, that was a great play by the defender to break it up. You cant blame that on Thompkins as if he dropped the pass. Also, those drops still dont excuse his 3 INT's in the 4th qtr which could have EASILY been 5 or 6 INT's in this game if not for Bills defenders dropping them. So its cool to highlight the drops by the WR's in order to remove blame from Fitz yet not even talk about the 3 dropped INT's that Fitz threw in the game? 

Fitz overall had a solid year, but he was 1 qtr of football away from playing a complete season and what he ended up doing was throwing 3 ints. This is what happens when you have the most talented Jets team with the easiest schedule possibly in Jets history and you miss the playoffs. Fitz received his excuses this year, about how terrible his teams were. That wasnt the case this year and we couldnt get a playoff birth. 

And im putting it square on his shoulders because when we were winning everyone was putting that square on his shoulders. 

I've been quite a big supporter of Fitz ... still am, hope he's back next year and can be part of that next step forward that the team needs to take.

And I agree with quite a lot of what you've said above (Thompkins play was a BIG play by the D, as was the McKelvin play - the other team are paid to make plays too).

But what concerned me about Sunday's game was not so much what happened in the fourth quarter, with the game on the line, but WHY the game was on the line in the fourth quarter. Where was the fast start, the early lead ... we KNOW Rex's MO is to get an early lead and cling on for dear life, and that's exactly what they did. But they were able to do so because our O did so little early on. On our first FIVE offensive possessions, we didn't get past our own 25 yard line. First time we did was because of a Buffalo penalty, and by that time we were down two scores - and never recovered.

Something that bugged me early on about Fitz's throws, he seemed to be trying to rifle them in there - probably due to the weather, but whatever the reason they were coming in too flat and too straight, which makes them easier to defend and harder to catch. We were already more one-dimensional than we wanted to be, with the run game struggling, and that one dimension was misfiring from the off. It was then that I already had a bad feeing that we'd be playing from behind and pressing too much late on. And although we lost in the fourth quarter, my feeling is that this game was already lost in the first half.

I saw someone describe us as coming out flat, but I don't think that was it - we came out tight, as another comment went, and I think that describes it perfectly, Fitz especially. It's like everyone was focusing so hard on not screwing up, that we screwed up. Hopefully the coaching staff can realise this and learn from it.

I've been quite a big supporter of Fitz ... still am, hope he's back next year and can be part of that next step forward that the team needs to take.

And I agree with quite a lot of what you've said above (Thompkins play was a BIG play by the D, as was the McKelvin play - the other team are paid to make plays too).

But what concerned me about Sunday's game was not so much what happened in the fourth quarter, with the game on the line, but WHY the game was on the line in the fourth quarter. Where was the fast start, the early lead ... we KNOW Rex's MO is to get an early lead and cling on for dear life, and that's exactly what they did. But they were able to do so because our O did so little early on. On our first FIVE offensive possessions, we didn't get past our own 25 yard line. First time we did was because of a Buffalo penalty, and by that time we were down two scores - and never recovered.

Something that bugged me early on about Fitz's throws, he seemed to be trying to rifle them in there - probably due to the weather, but whatever the reason they were coming in too flat and too straight, which makes them easier to defend and harder to catch. We were already more one-dimensional than we wanted to be, with the run game struggling, and that one dimension was misfiring from the off. It was then that I already had a bad feeing that we'd be playing from behind and pressing too much late on. And although we lost in the fourth quarter, my feeling is that this game was already lost in the first half.

I saw someone describe us as coming out flat, but I don't think that was it - we came out tight, as another comment went, and I think that describes it perfectly, Fitz especially. It's like everyone was focusing so hard on not screwing up, that we screwed up. Hopefully the coaching staff can realise this and learn from it.

I agree. Cant argue with this AND I would agree if we resigned Fitz. The man deserved a resigning, but through the lens of being a back up. If anyone thinks that we should sign Fitz to a 10+ million per year deal they're out of their noodles. 

I agree. Cant argue with this AND I would agree if we resigned Fitz. The man deserved a resigning, but through the lens of being a back up. If anyone thinks that we should sign Fitz to a 10+ million per year deal they're out of their noodles. 

The Jets and Fitz need to get over the Rex hump...0-2 versus Rex, Fitz is 12-3 versus the rest of the league over his last seventeen NFL starts with 37 TD's and 15 INT's. 

The Jets and Fitz need to get over the Rex hump...0-2 versus Rex, Fitz is 12-3 versus the rest of the league over his last seventeen NFL starts with 37 TD's and 15 INT's. 

This is what I look at. 

We start the season 4-1 then proceed to tank and go 1-4. We then go 5-0 to kick off the winter then lose the game to get into the playoffs. 

Thats inconsistency. This team is good enough to go 4-1 yet can play poor enough to go 1-4. This team is good enough to go 5-0 yet lose the game with the season on the line. 

The ball was blasted out upon arrival by a CB running at full speed. Perfectly timed impact by Mario Butler. 

Like Pace said, the Bills played harder ... 

Understandable, Pace is looking for a job real soon and he is def a rex guy.

Every excuse in the book was made the last 6 years for Sanchez and Geno.  Then, Fitz comes along and leads us to 5 straight wins, with 13 TD's and just 1 INT over that stretch, and those same excuses suddenly aren't available to him?  Fitz had a bad game.  That can't be disputed.  But the whole "This is what Fitz is and now we'll be worse next year" argument simply doesn't hold water.  What he IS, and what he proved to be this year, is a QB who the overwhelming majority of the time does his job.  Unless a Brees or the next Rodgers falls into our laps, I'll take the kind of QB play he provides every single week of every single season.

quote screwed up again.  this is in response to jet fan 80

"Every excuse in the book was made the last 6 years for Sanchez and Geno.  Then, Fitz comes along and leads us to 5 straight wins, with 13 TD's and just 1 INT over that stretch, and those same excuses suddenly aren't available to him?  Fitz had a bad game.  That can't be disputed.  But the whole "This is what Fitz is and now we'll be worse next year" argument simply doesn't hold water.  What he IS, and what he proved to be this year, is a QB who the overwhelming majority of the time does his job.  Unless a Brees or the next Rodgers falls into our laps, I'll take the kind of QB play he provides every single week of every single season."

Sanchez helped us reach 2 title games, in 6 POSTSEASON games on the road against much better teams than the dead Buffalo Bills of 2015 Mark threw a TOTAL of 3 INTs.  In the biggest game of Fitz's career he threw 3 against a bad Bills team w/ a playoff spot on the line- a place he has never been, a place he was never close to.  You can understand the frustration, right? 5 game win streaks are nice, records while in a QB friendly O w/ the best weapons we have had since namath was around but it's about winning, at least getting to the playoffs.  we had a golden opportunity and blew it. 

was it fitz's fault? not by himself, there were many culprits but he was a major culprit and while we had a nice 5 game win streak we didn't exactly beat a murderer's row of competition.  even NE, who was the only good team we beat, was in the midst of losing 4 of 6.  we needed OT to beat bad Giant team, we barely escaped at a bad Dallas team then we got beat up by a bad Buf team.

w/ all this said I like Fitz.  he converted me after his slow start.  I want him back, I think we can be a playoff team w/ him but next year everything won't break perfect and our stars are a year older so we may not be in this position again.

Every excuse in the book was made the last 6 years for Sanchez and Geno.  Then, Fitz comes along and leads us to 5 straight wins, with 13 TD's and just 1 INT over that stretch, and those same excuses suddenly aren't available to him?  Fitz had a bad game.  That can't be disputed.  But the whole "This is what Fitz is and now we'll be worse next year" argument simply doesn't hold water.  What he IS, and what he proved to be this year, is a QB who the overwhelming majority of the time does his job.  Unless a Brees or the next Rodgers falls into our laps, I'll take the kind of QB play he provides every single week of every single season.

A free agent in March and an economics grad from Harvard. That was likely 75% of his motivation this season; playoff hunger the other 25%.

Still, he gave us hope every week and made Jets football fun to watch. Agreed. 

I just hope he doesn't go lame after scoring a huge deal a la Buffalo '11 $59M.

Every excuse? Did you just say that? lmao. 

Jet fans were BURYING Sanchez during that 9-7 season, SPECIFICALLY SAYING, that the Jets backed in because the Colts decided not to play their starters. Then we go to the playoffs and the statement then was "Sanchez got to the AFCCG due to the Jets defense. They CARRIED SANCHEZ". 

Sanchez goes 11-5 the second year and the statement was "We went 11-5 and got to the AFCCG despite Sanchez". So what excuses are you talking about? The hate for Sanchez is STILL here. I just asked a poster "would you rather have Fitzpatrick's year with no playoffs, or Sanchez problems on our way to the AFCCG?" The ANSWER was "They'd rather have Fitz break records and not make the playoffs". lmao! Yes, someone said that! lol. 

Then we get Geno on the down turn of talent, both player and coaching wise and this guy has been on the team just two years and Jets fans not only do not want Geno as the starter, THEY DONT EVEN WANT HIM AS THE BACKUP! 

What excuse has Geno/Sanchez EVER HAD? Fitzpatrick has has the best team collectively on both sides of the ball. He's had the best OC we've had since I can remember, he had the #1 WR duo, he's had an above average Oline, AND the EASIEST SCHEDULE I've ever seen the Jets have. And Fitz could not get into the playoffs. 

The only, I repeat, ONLY QB getting excuses here is Fitzpatrick. 

Archived