Crying over spilled milk, but...

UpstateJetsGuru

A free agent in March and an economics grad from Harvard. That was likely 75% of his motivation this season; playoff hunger the other 25%.

Still, he gave us hope every week and made Jets football fun to watch. Agreed. 

I just hope he doesn't go lame after scoring a huge deal a la Buffalo '11 $59M.

The year after inking that deal, he had his 3rd best statistical season of his career in 2012 (2015 being his best, 2014 second best).  His DVOA actually went up from being ranked 26th among QB's up to 23rd.  Chan Gailey got fired after that and he was ousted with him. 

He's a better QB today than he was with Buffalo also, and has much more talent around him than he had back then.  It's hard to imagine Marshall being as good next year as he was this season, but he and Decker are by far the best WR combo Fitz has ever worked with.  Plus we add Jace Amaro into the mix, and maybe a shiny new toy at RB.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Every excuse? Did you just say that? lmao. 

Jet fans were BURYING Sanchez during that 9-7 season, SPECIFICALLY SAYING, that the Jets backed in because the Colts decided not to play their starters. Then we go to the playoffs and the statement then was "Sanchez got to the AFCCG due to the Jets defense. They CARRIED SANCHEZ". 

Sanchez goes 11-5 the second year and the statement was "We went 11-5 and got to the AFCCG despite Sanchez". So what excuses are you talking about? 

Then we get Geno on the down turn of talent, both player and coaching wise and this guy has been on the team just two years and Jets fans not only do not want Geno as the starter, THEY DONT EVEN WANT HIM AS THE BACKUP! 

What excuse has Geno/Sanchez EVER HAD? Fitzpatrick has has the best team collectively on both sides of the ball. He's had the best OC we've had since I can remember, he had the #1 WR duo, he's had an above average Oline, AND the EASIEST SCHEDULE I've ever seen the Jets have. And Fitz could not get into the playoffs. 

The only, I repeat, ONLY QB getting excuses here is Fitzpatrick. 

I'm not giving him any excuses. He stunk it up in the last game of the year. But he's been the best starting QB the Jets have had in a long time

I'm not giving him any excuses. He stunk it up in the last game of the year. But he's been the best starting QB the Jets have had in a long time

I didnt say "you", im saying the poster who's deciding to make excuses for Fitz by saying that "Geno/Sanchez" got excuses knowing damn well they didnt. 

We know damn well this fanbase has been brutal towards those guys overall. 

Also, he's been the best starter along with the best talent and easiest schedule. 

The talent around Geno/Sanchez doesnt come close. In otherwords, the man had ALOT of help. 

Additional point:  FO has now ranked Fitz as a top 20 QB for the past 3 years, with 3 different teams.  2 years ago he was having success in Tennessee despite Kendall Wright and Delanie Walker being his only weapons of significance.  He has also ranked in the top 15 each of the past 2 seasons.  FO attempts to remove variables such as who QB's are throwing to, and while its not perfect, its one of the better advanced metrics available for that purpose.  So as I've stated previously, the argument that any QB could have success throwing to Marshall and Decker is not really accurate.  Fitz is better than your replacement level QB. 

Just look around the league at all the offenses that are struggling even with really good QB's.  Also take note that the only team to score 17+ points in every single game this year were the New York Jets.  That's the kind of consistency a lot of teams look for, and we'll have next year if/when we bring Fitz back.

I didnt say "you", im saying the poster who's deciding to make excuses for Fitz by saying that "Geno/Sanchez" got excuses knowing damn well they didnt. 

We know damn well this fanbase has been brutal towards those guys overall. 

I think with Sanchez and Geno it was the hype of the unknown. Fitzpatrick had a record.

I think with Sanchez and Geno it was the hype of the unknown. Fitzpatrick had a record.

Fitz 10 year record wasnt impressive. And one thing I know for certain, and any Jets fan being honest knows that this is true: If Fitz record occurred in a Jets jersey he would be hated as much if not more than Geno/Sanchez. The only reason why the man was given the time of day is because his background wasnt in a Jets Jersey and many Jets fans havent experienced his failures. 

We both know that is true. 

Fitz 10 year record wasnt impressive. And one thing I know for certain, and any Jets fans being honest knows that this is true. 

If Fitz record occurred in a Jets jersey he would be hated as much if not more than Geno/Sanchez. The only reason why the man was given the time of day is because his background wasnt in a Jets Jersey and many Jets fans havent experienced his failures. 

We both know that is true. 

What I meant was that Sanchez and Geno were hyped up because of the unknown. Fitz had a record of suckage so he entered with low expectations to begin with. People can deal with disappointment and excuse better if they anticipate it.

We've had guys like posters on the forum say things like "Fitz hasnt been to the playoffs because he's consistently had bad teams around him". Well, what happened this year? How about giving ME a break. lol.

it's cold comfort but 10-6 is usually enough to go to the playoffs. 11-5 is usually enough to win a division. Not this division, but most of em.  

What I meant was that Sanchez and Geno were hyped up because of the unknown. Fitz had a record of suckage so he entered with low expectations to begin with. People can deal with disappointment and excuse better if they anticipate it.

But thats not what happened. Jetsfan80 for example said numerous times that "Fitz status is what it was because he was on sucky teams", yet he fails to mention the teams that Geno was on...as if the Jets have been any good the past couple years. 

Fitzpatrick receives excuses where I've literally seen Geno get fed to the wolves. Then we hear "Look at the records he broke", failing to realize the generation of football we're playing in. IF Kirk Cousins was our QB this year he would have been the greatest single season QB in Jets history.

it's cold comfort but 10-6 is usually enough to go to the playoffs. 11-5 is usually enough to win a division. Not this division, but most of em.  

Can I ask you a question? Actually, 2 questions. 

#1. During the past 25 years (25 Jets rosters) where would you rank this team in terms of overall talent? 

#2. During the past 10 years (cant really go 25 years back for this question) where do you rank this schedule in terms of difficulty? 

Its Ryan Fitzpatrick. His typical meltdown during the second half of the season was most certainly delayed this year. He totally made me and others who knew what Fitz was look like fools. Then Fitz literally waited till the 4th quarter of the last game to have that meltdown that he usually has starting somewhere in November. 

The real deceiving part of it, the supporters will only look at it as "one game" not realizing that we're most likely not going to have such an easy schedule like we had this year. Fitz is setting us up for failure again, and we're probably going to pay him "top dollar" to do it! lol. 

Incredible. 

fool's gold

#1. During the past 25 years (25 Jets rosters) where would you rank this team in terms of overall talent? 

#2. During the past 10 years (cant really go 25 years back for this question) where do you rank this schedule in terms of difficulty? 

The past 25 years brings us back to what? 1991? Seems kind of an arbitrary point. But to answer your question it's probably in the top 5 within that period. But again consider the team. It's like me saying Ryan Fitzpatrick is the best QB they've had since Willy. 

as for schedule the difficulty was underrated. They played at Oakland which was always going to be a loss. and the hardest games were in the division. Any schedule that features the Pats twice and Rex on the Bills twice is a tough schedule. 

I don't buy into this "schedule was so easy" nonsense.  what your basically saying is the team needs to go 11-5 or 12-4 which is unrealistic in the division with the greatest cheaters of all time and the old HC who knows where all the bodies are buried. 

Remember when Jon Gruden dismantled the Raiders in the Super Bowl? Playing Rex is like that. He knows this team better than anyone, probably even better than Bowles. 

The past 25 years brings us back to what? 1991? Seems kind of an arbitrary point. But to answer your question it's probably in the top 5 within that period. But again consider the team. It's like me saying Ryan Fitzpatrick is the best QB they've had since Willy. 

as for schedule the difficulty was underrated. They played at Oakland which was always going to be a loss. and the hardest games were in the division. Any schedule that features the Pats twice and Rex on the Bills twice is a tough schedule. 

I don't buy into this "schedule was so easy" nonsense. 

it was the easiest schedule in the NFL, second to the panthers I believe. The jets also got lucky facing teams decimated by injuries over the last 6 games (tenn, NE, and buffalo) 

it was the easiest schedule in the NFL, second to the panthers I believe. The jets also got lucky facing teams decimated by injuries over the last 6 games (tenn, NE, and buffalo) 

it was middle of the pack

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/165472/2015-nfl-strength-of-schedule

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25066031/2015-nfl-strength-of-schedule-steelers-at-no-1-falcons-at-no-32

Suckage?  No.  The last time Fitz "sucked" was 2009.  Sanchez was never ranked higher than 28th among QB's in any of his 4 years here, and is now a career backup.  Geno is headed along the same path.  Fitz, meanwhile, hasn't been ranked BELOW 27th in any year in the last 6 years, with spots in the top 20 the last 3.  He has a high floor with decent upside from time to time.  That's all you can ask for out of a QB you're not depending on for the long-term future of your franchise.

Suckage?  No.  The last time Fitz "sucked" was 2009.  Sanchez was never ranked higher than 28th among QB's in any of his 4 years here, and is now a career backup.  Geno is headed along the same path.  Fitz, meanwhile, hasn't been ranked BELOW 27th in any year in the last 6 years, with spots in the top 20 the last 3.  He has a high floor with decent upside from time to time.  That's all you can ask for out of a QB you're not depending on for the long-term future of your franchise.

who cares about rankings, start to finish mark 2010 was better than Fitz's meaningless #s w/ superior talent around him this year.  mark helped us reach a title game, Fitz couldn't get us to the playoffs w/ more talent around him.

I don't buy into this "schedule was so easy" nonsense.  what your basically saying is the team needs to go 11-5 or 12-4 which is unrealistic in the division with the greatest cheaters of all time and the old HC who knows where all the bodies are buried. 

Remember when Jon Gruden dismantled the Raiders in the Super Bowl? Playing Rex is like that. He knows this team better than anyone, probably even better than Bowles. 

Next time, answer the questions sir. :-) 

I think we both know why he didnt want to answer the questions. 

Because only a handful of "fans" find the need to look for reasons why anything good accomplished by "their team" really wasnt as impressive as everyone thinks.  And feel the need to look for reasons why we werent as good as our record says we are. 

Cant kill 10-6 so lets kill how they got to 10-6

Its just too hard to be this miserable

for #1 I would say it's top 3 in terms of talent.  might even be #1

#2 I think '08 was easier. 

I've been quite a big supporter of Fitz ... still am, hope he's back next year and can be part of that next step forward that the team needs to take.

And I agree with quite a lot of what you've said above (Thompkins play was a BIG play by the D, as was the McKelvin play - the other team are paid to make plays too).

But what concerned me about Sunday's game was not so much what happened in the fourth quarter, with the game on the line, but WHY the game was on the line in the fourth quarter. Where was the fast start, the early lead ... we KNOW Rex's MO is to get an early lead and cling on for dear life, and that's exactly what they did. But they were able to do so because our O did so little early on. On our first FIVE offensive possessions, we didn't get past our own 25 yard line. First time we did was because of a Buffalo penalty, and by that time we were down two scores - and never recovered.

Something that bugged me early on about Fitz's throws, he seemed to be trying to rifle them in there - probably due to the weather, but whatever the reason they were coming in too flat and too straight, which makes them easier to defend and harder to catch. We were already more one-dimensional than we wanted to be, with the run game struggling, and that one dimension was misfiring from the off. It was then that I already had a bad feeing that we'd be playing from behind and pressing too much late on. And although we lost in the fourth quarter, my feeling is that this game was already lost in the first half.

I saw someone describe us as coming out flat, but I don't think that was it - we came out tight, as another comment went, and I think that describes it perfectly, Fitz especially. It's like everyone was focusing so hard on not screwing up, that we screwed up. Hopefully the coaching staff can realise this and learn from it.

Bothered in game and still by 1st and 10 at their own 20 right before half, around 30 seconds left, with the wind and 1 timeout. Call a run on 1st down and then give up on 2nd without using the timeout. There is a serious passive streak to Gailey or Bowles or both that manifested itself there and in a lot of 1st halves. 2 or 3 quick passes using the sideline and your single TO can get you in FG position. There were too many games were the the jets did zero in the 1st half and either had Fitz bail them out or lost. Sunday was the latest example. 

Because only a handful of "fans" find the need to look for reasons why anything good accomplished by "their team" really wasnt as impressive as everyone thinks.  And feel the need to look for reasons why we werent as good as our record says we are. 

Cant kill 10-6 so lets kill how they got to 10-6

Its just too hard to be this miserable

Because only a handful of "Fans" have to say sh*t like ^^^^^^

lol. 

So we had a top 3 best team in terms of overall talent and the 2nd easiest schedule the past decade and we couldnt make the playoffs. 

I dont know about anyone else, but I see a problem with that. 

this is why this year was not a success at the moment, maybe we look back 2-3 years from now and see our young players contributing based off how they developed this year and see Bowles adapt and become better at in game mgmt but right now it was not a success.

Bothered in game and still by 1st and 10 at their own 20 right before half, around 30 seconds left, with the wind and 1 timeout. Call a run on 1st down and then give up on 2nd without using the timeout. There is a serious passive streak to Gailey or Bowles or both that manifested itself there and in a lot of 1st halves. 2 or 3 quick passes using the sideline and your single TO can get you in FG position. There were too many games were the the jets did zero in the 1st half and either had Fitz bail them out or lost. Sunday was the latest example. 

And also not trying to get another play off before the 2 minute warning in the fourth quarter. With the SEASON on the line. I can't fathom that.

And also not trying to get another play off before the 2 minute warning in the fourth quarter. With the SEASON on the line. I can't fathom that.

I thought allowing the clock to run out in the 1st half was even worse.  I can understand on 3rd down not wanting to rush a play at the 2 min warning but we had over 2 mins and didn't use a TO and allowed Buf to milk clock and kick FG before half.

No, most think exactly like me.  That when you have to dig deep to prove your own team wasnt good, you suck as a fan. LOL

Now thats funny! lol. 

As for the digging, I dont even have a shovel. The team hasnt won a chip in a half century, havent been to the SB in a half century, havent been to the playoffs in a half decade and as usual its the fans that all think alike that think that the fans who see the obvious have to dig deep for this sh*t. lol. 

Now thats funny! lol. 

As for the digging, I dont even have a shovel. The team hasnt won a chip a half century, havent been to the SB in a half century, havent been to the playoffs in a half decade and as usual is the fans that all think alike that think that the fans who see the obvious have to dig deep for this sh*t. lol. 

Yes, most fans dont whine that we were a 10 win team only because of a weak schedule so its not all that impressive.

As someone smart once said, you are what your schedule says you are.  

Archived