Let Ivory Walk?

PCP63

Don't think I've seen anyone else here suggest this, and for good reason. He's an excellent running back. Probably one of my favorite players, if not my absolute favorite. He runs hard, fast, and he's pretty consistent.

However, I just don't think his price tag will warrant keeping him, especially when we have, IMO, as crazy as it will sound, a better HB that will come for a fraction of Ivory's price (Powell).

Powell is quicker, more consistent, holds onto the ball better, blocks better, and catches better. He's not really the most injury-prone back either.

Granted, I understand having multiple HBs is better, which is why we could look at a lower price tag in FA or use a mid-round pick on a HB. But I firmly believe Powell should be the starter. He is the single most underrated player in the league. 

Especially with such a suspect, aging line like we have, having a good blocking back that can also catch check downs is very valuable. 

Maybe pair him with someone like Lamar Miller, and I think we could match our production in the running game, improve it in the passing game, and do both at a much lower price tag.

Crazy, I know. Just throwing out ideas.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't think I've seen anyone else here suggest this, and for good reason. He's an excellent running back. Probably one of my favorite players, if not my absolute favorite. He runs hard, fast, and he's pretty consistent.

However, I just don't think his price tag will warrant keeping him, especially when we have, IMO, as crazy as it will sound, a better HB that will come for a fraction of Ivory's price (Powell).

Powell is quicker, more consistent, holds onto the ball better, blocks better, and catches better. He's not really the most injury-prone back either.

Granted, I understand having multiple HBs is better, which is why we could look at a lower price tag in FA or use a mid-round pick on a HB. But I firmly believe Powell should be the starter. He is the single most underrated player in the league. 

Especially with such a suspect, aging line like we have, having a good blocking back that can also catch check downs is very valuable. 

Maybe pair him with someone like Lamar Miller, and I think we could match our production in the running game, improve it in the passing game, and do both at a much lower price tag.

Think you may have missed more than a few strong suggestions 

hi ms Powell 

I definitely do not want Chip Kelly as OC. Man has no idea how to control the flow of the offense...he only has one speed.......FAST

Why specifically would you not like Chip?

IMO, most people that dislike him simply don't understand his methods. The spread option is a VERY formidable system, even at the highest levels.

IMO, most people that dislike him simply don't understand his methods. The spread option is a VERY formidable system, even at the highest levels.

Because his O:

1.  Puts his QB in the direct line of a defense essentially making him a RB and subjecting him to too many hits.  No QB has made it through a season uninjured for a reason.

2.  His O runs off a million plays in record time.  Too  bad that also puts the D on the field for record times.  And tires them out.

3.  Hes gimmick.  Running the spread when 300lb, 4.5 defenders are hitting you is different than running it unchecked in college.  College trick offenses come and go, never work for any length of time in the NFL

Ivory wasnt the same back the 2nd half of the year.  Always seemed to be nicked up as well.  See what it would cost to get lamar miller in here and resign powell.  That would be an excellent 1-2 punch.

Lamar Miller will be cost prohibitive. Bring back Powell, and draft a solid player on the second day. Pretty simple and easy strategy. 

Because his O:

1.  Puts his QB in the direct line of a defense essentially making him a RB and subjecting him to too many hits.  No QB has made it through a season uninjured for a reason.

2.  His O runs off a million plays in record time.  Too  bad that also puts the D on the field for record times.  And tires them out.

3.  Hes gimmick.  Running the spread when 300lb, 4.5 defenders are hitting you is different than running it unchecked in college.  College trick offenses come and go, never work for any length of time in the NFL

It'd take a MUCH longer post and separate thread to go over everything, but I'l try to address a few points:

1. No "read option" QB has been hurt on a read option play since it started gaining traction in the NFL, as far as I know. Even if they did, increased injury risks can be offset by rules (there are loopholes for the QBs to avoid getting hit in these situations), increased productivity, and better numbers (11 offensive players vs. 10 defensive players or less).

2. And it tires out the other team as well. Tempo is something that could easily be adjusted anyways. 

3. What's "gimmicky" or "tricky" about it? It's a system with clearly-defined concepts and goals. 300 lb. 4.5 defenders? Run it from under center. Good luck getting your 300 lb. 4.5 defenders to not only not hesitate upon the silent snap count, but accelerate quickly enough within about a yard to hit the QB hard enough to knock him out of the game.

Just like with any offense/defense, there are always answers. 

It'd take a MUCH longer post and separate thread to go over everything, but I'l try to address a few points:

1. No "read option" QB has been hurt on a read option play since it started gaining traction in the NFL, as far as I know. Even if they did, increased injury risks can be offset by rules (there are loopholes for the QBs to avoid getting hit in these situations), increased productivity, and better numbers (11 offensive players vs. 10 defensive players or less).

2. And it tires out the other team as well. Tempo is something that could easily be adjusted anyways. 

3. What's "gimmicky" or "tricky" about it? It's a system with clearly-defined concepts and goals. 300 lb. 4.5 defenders? Run it from under center. Good luck getting your 300 lb. 4.5 defenders to not only not hesitate upon the silent snap count, but accelerate quickly enough within about a yard to hit the QB hard enough to knock him out of the game.

Just like with any offense/defense, there are always answers. 

When the QB runs out a RO play hes considered a RB and can be hit, forfeits all the protection afforded a QB.  You can tell me that no QB was hurt on a RO play, I have no idea if Foles, Vick or Bradford were injured on an actual RO play or on the next play or two after getting beat up on one.  Fact is Kelly hasnt had a QB make it though a season.  RGIII says hi too. 

No, it tires their D.  And the Eagles issues have always been their D doesnt match the O

Whats gimmicky over the RO?  OK

Ivory wasnt the same back the 2nd half of the year.  Always seemed to be nicked up as well.  See what it would cost to get lamar miller in here and resign powell.  That would be an excellent 1-2 punch.

He reminds me of Marion Barber. 

Real good as a 12-15 carry a guy back.  But when he has to run it 20+ times, he is so physical, he gets hurt. 

I don't know why people think he'll command such a high contract in FA. He is a physical, injury prone runner who turns 28 in March. If he gets over $5M per I'd be truly surprised. Even with another cap limit increase I think his sweet spot will be around $4-5M per with somewhere between $5-8M total guaranteed. The same reasons we wouldn't break the bank to re-sign him will exist for other teams thinking of bringing him in. They saw him whiff and/or take a back seat to Powell in multiple games this year) and have draft picks of their own to use on far cheaper, younger, faster, more (theoretically) versatile backs. 

I don't know why people think he'll command such a high contract in FA. He is a physical, injury prone runner who turns 28 in March. If he gets over $5M per I'd be truly surprised. Even with another cap limit increase I think his sweet spot will be around $4-5M per with somewhere between $5-8M total guaranteed. The same reasons we wouldn't break the bank to re-sign him will exist for other teams thinking of bringing him in. They saw him whiff and/or take a back seat to Powelll multiple games this year) and have draft picks of their own to use on far cheaper, younger, faster, more (theoretically) versatile backs. 

There's a reason the Saints gave up on him. Now we know.  He'd be more effective if he could share the load instead of being relied on as the go to guy - not that he's ever done that - I'd be open to resigning him but we need 3 backs that are able to carry the load if needed. Next man up is essential. No more Ridley - PLEASE. Miller, Powell, Lamar or draft a RB in round 3. 

Yes I saw how passing on Gurley worked out for us and others.

How many games did he play this year? Was he available Week 17? Leonard Williams > dime a dozen back. 

Go ahead and tell me which back available this year is a franchise changing back? I'll hang up and listen. 

This is laughable.  Why would you want to replace Gailey?  Our offense produced great numbers this year.  I love fans!!

This is laughable.  Why would you want to replace Gailey?  Our offense produced great numbers this year.  I love fans!!

Gailey is going nowhere.  Someone implied in another thread Schotty was a better OC.  I wonder what's the name of the world he is lost in.

I'm fully on board with letting Ivory walk IF his contract expectations are too high. I'd definitely re-sign Powell, but again the price has to work.

I would not, however, rely on Powell as my #1 RB next year, I'd want him to be part of a 1-2 punch like this year; we just need that 1-2 punch to work for much more of the season. I'm looking for us to draft a RB early in the draft who can be an all-rounder type (i.e. not exclusively a "power back", nor a real shifty outside runner, but a guy who can run the rock inside and out, and has good enough hands for screens and wheel routes. I'd also look to pick up a shifty change-of-pace type guy later in the draft - we need a stable of 3 productive guys, this year we had two plus two JAGs and that cost us at the end of the year. FA would also be an option for either position, but I'm not sure anyone will be available who would be good enough and young enough, plus affordable (if so, why are they free agents?)

I live in Eagles country, I watched a lot of their games. Chip has no clue how to control the pace of the game to his advantage. When the offense is clicking the hurry up offense works. But, when the offense is misfiring you need to slow down the game a bit to allow the chance for your players to get on the same page.

I watched too many games this year when the Eagles would go 3 and out for a third of the game, only to wear out their defense and fall behind.

Archived