POLL: What should the Jets do with Mo Wilkerson?

jetscrazey

What should the Jets do with Mo Wilkerson?  

70 members have voted

1. 1. What should the Jets do with Mo?

• Franchise tag him, which could cost $15 million
    • Franchise tag him, but then trade him to a team willing to give him a new contract and get what you can in return
    • Let him walk, use the $15 million in cap space to improve in other areas

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I chose tag + trade because it was the closest fit but, I would be interested to see how he does next year. It's tough to guess how much impact Bowles had on his year, mainly because his production this year deviated so far from his average.  I think the tag is definitely the right option, paid great for one year, for one year of great work..however a trade for a consistent performer has to be considered. Especially on the offensive line...preferably out of conference or division.  

It really seems to me that the NFL is trying to lesson the strength of Dlineman. If you watch the NFL, they are allowing egregious holding to go on, particularly on the interior of the line like never before. Occasionally they hammer teams for doing it, but it seems like more and more they are ignoring it. If this is the case, putting a ton of money into your Dline, and having it be a strongpoint of your team may not be very smart.

There are a lot of people who feel that the high school and college athletes who can chose between o line and d line are all choosing d line because sacks are where the money is.

We all know how the NFL will do everything to protect its scoring (QB's), so by lessoning the ability to get sacks on the d line, they can push those athletes back over to the offensive side again. I see this as a trend that I expect to get more pronounced, not less.

What team would be dumb enough to trade for a franchise-tagged player?

Not only would they have to pay a top 5 position average salary, the player would be a FA at the end of the year anyway.

That scenario will never happen.

Dumb to let him go anyways.  Johnny Abe 2.  Got to work out a deal or franchise him period.  At least I think so.

What team would be dumb enough to trade for a franchise-tagged player?

Not only would they have to pay a top 5 position average salary, the player would be a FA at the end of the year anyway.

That scenario will never happen.

What?

The team trading for Mo would -obviously- sign him to a longer term deal. 

It really seems to me that the NFL is trying to lesson the strength of Dlineman. If you watch the NFL, they are allowing egregious holding to go on, particularly on the interior of the line like never before. Occasionally they hammer teams for doing it, but it seems like more and more they are ignoring it. If this is the case, putting a ton of money into your Dline, and having it be a strongpoint of your team may not be very smart.

There are a lot of people who feel that the high school and college athletes who can chose between o line and d line are all choosing d line because sacks are where the money is.

We all know how the NFL will do everything to protect its scoring (QB's), so by lessoning the ability to get sacks on the d line, they can push those athletes back over to the offensive side again. I see this as a trend that I expect to get more pronounced, not less.

Hasn't worked for Colon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tag him and listen to offers, though his stock isn't exactly going to be particularly high right now.  We just need to buy some time to work out a long-term deal.

Letting him walk is the least ideal option in my mind.  Elite d-linemen who can play every position on both a 4-3 or 3-4 DL don't grow on trees.  He isn't JJ Watt but he isn't easily replaceable either.  I don't understand the infatuation with keeping Harrison and letting Wilkerson walk.  Even the best nose tackle in the game isn't really close to being as valuable to a defense as an elite 3-4 DE. 

And we have no real clue what the future holds for someone as volatile as Sheldon Richardson either.  He could continue on the trajectory of being a top D-lineman in the NFL as well, or he could get caught committing several felonies the moment we give him a contract extension.  Wilkerson provides us some measure of stability.

Dumb to let him go anyways.  Johnny Abe 2.  Got to work out a deal or franchise him period.  At least I think so.

Abe was a All Pro his 2nd year in the League not quite the same Crusher unless Mo realizes he's not JJ Watt he'll be gone.. Let his agent find out what teams are willing to give for him and go from there.. We got a All Pro W/R for a 5th rd pick, fans that think the Jets would get 2 ones or a 1 and a 3 for Mo are delusional..

Edge rusher I agree, MLB/ILB I don't, our interior Dline was getting raped weakly and very few calls were ever made.

Visions of sammy Watkins shredding us from insides like sigorney weaver in Alien will haunt me for a long time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can you cite 2 or 3 recent examples where Team A tagged a player and then traded him to Team B?

Like I said originally, that scenario is nothing more than a pipe dream.

The Patriots tagged and traded Matt Cassel. If a team was willing to trade for Matt Cassel, another one can be found to trade for Mo Wilkerson. 

Abe was a All Pro his 2nd year in the League not quite the same Crusher unless Mo realizes he's not JJ Watt he'll be gone..

John Abraham may have been a sack machine but he lacked toughness and was useless against the run.  Mo>>>Abraham.  Remember when he sat out a Jet playoff game he could have easily played in while Shaun Ellis willed his way onto the field?  F*ck John Abraham. 

I agree he cannot possibly demand JJ money, and if he does, that's the point we let him walk.  But not a moment until then. 

And remember, we at least got a 1st round pick out of Abraham.  If Wilk wants too much money, we at least need to attempt to get something out of him via trade. 

Can you cite 2 or 3 recent examples where Team A tagged a player and then traded him to Team B?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2378875

The Jets tagged John Abraham in '06 and traded him to Atlanta for the 29th overall pick.  And they did so by beating Seattle's offer.  The Seahawks were prepared to offer the 31st pick. 

As for examples 2 and 3:  GFY.

Tag him and listen to trade offers while simultaneously trying to work out a long term deal. 

this.  Although the $15 million cap hit that a Wilk tag would cost would require the Jets to restructure a whole bunch of other contracts or make some cuts.  We have $15 million in space right now against a projected cap of $150,000,000 (data from Over the Cap by jason).

John Abraham may have been a sack machine but he lacked toughness and was useless against the run.  Mo>>>Abraham.  Remember when he sat out a Jet playoff game he could have easily played in while Shaun Ellis willed his way onto the field?  F*ck John Abraham. 

I agree he cannot possibly demand JJ money, and if he does, that's the point we let him walk.  But not a moment until then.

Well his tackle count compared to Mo's was pretty even when you consider Mo played more games in his first 5 years.. It's funny once a fan gets to hate a player or coach whatever they did good means nothing..LOL

this.  Although the $15 million cap hit that a Wilk tag would cost would require the Jets to restructure a whole bunch of other contracts or make some cuts.  We have $15 million in space right now against a projected cap of $150,000,000 (data from Over the Cap by jason).

We can afford that $15M hit if these things happen (which are all very possible)

1.  Fitz agrees to a hometown discount deal where his 2016 cap hit is only something like $4-6M.

2.  We cut Cro, Kerley and Cumberland - frees up about $12.5M in cap space.

3.  We restructure/extend Brick's deal to reduce his 2016 cap hit from $14M to about $10M or so. 

These moves would give us about $9-10M in cap space after tagging Wilkerson.  I'm sure there are other moves that can be made by Macc as well to free up more space. 

What could happen is trading Mo to a team where he is given permission (wink wink) to have a deal worked out.  You contact said team, discuss a trade, and let them know Mo is willing to sign with you for 'x' amount if you trade for him.  Could work? 

Well his tackle count compared to Mo's was pretty even when you consider Mo played more games in his first 5 years.. It's funny once a fan gets to hate a player or coach whatever they did good means nothing..LOL

Completely different roles, and I can hate Abraham all I want.  You pu$$y your way out of a postseason game (which are rare opportunities for Jet players), you're dead to me forever. 

Archived