POLL: What should the Jets do with Mo Wilkerson?

jetscrazey

What should the Jets do with Mo Wilkerson?  

70 members have voted

1. 1. What should the Jets do with Mo?

• Franchise tag him, which could cost $15 million
    • Franchise tag him, but then trade him to a team willing to give him a new contract and get what you can in return
    • Let him walk, use the $15 million in cap space to improve in other areas

I'll be very curious to see what his market value will be.  Trading Mo is 100 % worth it if it gets us closer to finding a franchise QB, or at the very least, puts us in better position to build around Fitz/Petty for the next few years.

The thing is we don't yet know - other than a draft pick - who else is attainable. Drafting a WR at #6 was a no-brainer until we found out we could get Brandon Marshall for a 5th rounder. What if we find out Saints dangle Brees (who it seems wasn't so "done" after 2014) for Mo's rights? Worse still, what if we lock up Mo and then find out he was available? As expensive as Brees is, Mo+Fitz is even more expensive. I'm not saying he's available, but on January 6, 2015 Brandon Marshall wasn't available either.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The thing is we don't yet know - other than a draft pick - who else is attainable. Drafting a WR at #6 was a no-brainer until we found out we could get Brandon Marshall for a 5th rounder. What if we find out Saints dangle Brees (who it seems wasn't so "done" after 2014) for Mo's rights? Worse still, what if we lock up Mo and then find out he was available? As expensive as Brees is, Mo+Fitz is even more expensive. I'm not saying he's available, but on January 6, 2015 Brandon Marshall wasn't available either.

Yep, this is why I'm only advocating for us to use the franchise tag on Wilkerson, not negotiating a long-term deal.  What we'd be able to get for him will depend on everything you just said. 

The thing is you can't keep everybody (especially if you're going to keep using high 1st round picks on the same position and then sign the likes of Revis to guaranteed $16M/year contracts). And I fully expect to hear about it with every sack Mo racks up for another team. So be it. He had 12 sacks this year against trash competition including lots of backups, with all that DL talent alongside him attracting attention. And we're still on the outside looking in during the playoffs.

This team needs to put those resources elsewhere, like it or not. And for the record, I do not like it, even if I acknowledge it's necessary. How expensive is this defense and they still couldn't get off the field against the freaking Bills in a win & we're in game?

Agree. I had historically always believed in building football teams from the lines first and then building the rest of the team. But you cannot ignore what the NFL is doing now. I watched our Dline, which is our most talented part of our team by far, get tackled 20 times per game with one call, many games this season. As much as I hate the direction the NFL has gone and is going, you cannot swim upstream here, you need to recognize the trends and adjust. 

The Bills basically kept 6-7 guys in tight on every passing play, held, and tackled our dline on running plays, and got one holding call against them. Our awesome talent did nothing and was completely neutralized, it was sickening to watch. With Sheldon and Willimans, the Dline should still be very talented and more talented than most teams in the NFL.

To win in todays NFL you need a passing offense, and be able to slow down opposing teams passing games, and outscore them. Games are not won in the trenches the way they used to be. They can be lost in the trenches, but not really won in the trenches.

I am kind of somewhere in between.   Ideally, I'd want to work out a long term contract and spread it out.  Not really a cap guy, so not sure what is reasonable/practical going forward and don't have the desire to research, so I'll leave that to the resident capologists.  I would prefer to keep Wilk as he is obviously a good (not Watt good as has been well documented) player vs. Richardson who appears to be problematic, me first, and a couple more missteps away from a 1 year vacation..  If a reasonable deal can't be worked, then I most certainly would entertain trade offers, but if we are not getting value he plays under the tag.

FTR - selected tag and trade

whats dumb is to let Harrison go. We play a 3-4 defense LB are much more important and we have guys who can step in for Wilkerson. I like Wilkerson hes a good player but when was the last time he had a huge sack with the game on the line ? Sorry but a 3-4 defense dictates you need a rock solid NT and some DE's who can occupy blockers while your LB's make plays. The money Wilk will command is not in the cards for this team we have other holes that need to be addressed

This is a good post and I hope this is the way it goes down.  Further, we don't have the cap space to be signing many FA's so we'd likely get a high 2017 comp pick out of letting him go as well.  

whats dumb is to let Harrison go. We play a 3-4 defense LB are much more important and we have guys who can step in for Wilkerson. I like Wilkerson hes a good player but when was the last time he had a huge sack with the game on the line ? Sorry but a 3-4 defense dictates you need a rock solid NT and some DE's who can occupy blockers while your LB's make plays. The money Wilk will command is not in the cards for this team we have other holes that need to be addressed

Who do we have that steps in for Wilkerson.

And plays like Wilkerson.

What would be really dumb would be to let Mo go just to keep Snacks.   I love Snacks and want to keep him but he can be replaced much easier than Mo can.  

I wouldn't sign him long term unless he was taking $10M per that he won't take (nor would I in his position). The negotiating position he's in is he already will have $15M for the upcoming season alone. 

We got him for cheap through now. Take the money and run. 

He's a terrific player. But we aren't close to barren at the position without him. 

Only a Jets fan is upset when a Jets player plays well cause they you gotta pay him lol

Only teasing. Mo is the best player in the defense. He's worth more than 10 but less than JJ. That's a pretty big range.

Only a Jets fan is upset when a Jets player plays well cause they you gotta pay him lol

Only teasing. Mo is the best player in the defense. He's worth more than 10 but less than JJ. That's a pretty big range.

Not to Mo otherwise he would be signed..

In todays NFL you need to score & Olines are allowed to hold. 

I only have one question that I want Jet fans who have no problem paying Mo Wilk 15 million or giving him a HUGE CONTRACT.

Here's the scenario. We can replay the Bills & you've seen the game we lost and your given this choice:

Bilal is 100% healthy & ready to go BUT we have to sit Mo & count on Douz & Bowens. Knowing how that game went I'm playing Powell & sitting Mo as my BEST chance for a win.

I get that.   Agree we need faster linebackers.  So we are gonna get better at sacking the QB in big spots by getting rid of our sack leader?  Ok?

things don't always work that way Crush. We relied on our Dl to  get sacks and apply massive pressure. We all thought they would be dominant with the addition of Williams and IMHO they just were not. So do we pay Wilk 15 mil per to get that same result or do we target fast LB's who can make plays in Bowles Scheme and blitz to put pressure ? Its not Wilks fault this team keeps drafting DL with the first round pick and at some point someone or someone's have to go.

things don't always work that way Crush. We relied on our Dl to  get sacks and apply massive pressure. We all thought they would be dominant with the addition of Williams and IMHO they just were not. So do we pay Wilk 15 mil per to get that same result or do we target fast LB's who can make plays in Bowles Scheme and blitz to put pressure ? Its not Wilks fault this team keeps drafting DL with the first round pick and at some point someone or someone's have to go.

I agree someone had to go but I think Sheldon is that guy.  Guy is a suspension waiting to happen And an arrogant doosh to boot.  Sack Sheldon, keep mo, keep snacks.  WilliAms still 3 years on rookie deal.  Upside when you can draft that talent get some affordable yeArs.  Better than paying Suh a ransom to watch him go into hibernation right before your eyes.

In todays NFL you need to score & Olines are allowed to hold. 

I only have one question that I want Jet fans who have no problem paying Mo Wilk 15 million or giving him a HUGE CONTRACT.

Here's the scenario. We can replay the Bills & you've seen the game we lost and your given this choice:

Bilal is 100% healthy & ready to go BUT we have to sit Mo & count on Douz & Bowens. Knowing how that game went I'm playing Powell & sitting Mo as my BEST chance for a win.

Why are we choosing between powell and wilkerson? Here is another scenario we have to choose between Brandon Marshall and Nick Folk. I don't understand the connection.

Why are we choosing between powell and wilkerson? Here is another scenario we have to choose between Brandon Marshall and Nick Folk. I don't understand the connection.

The connection is Powell was more important during our 5 game winning streak than Mo & that was before people were saying pay Mo what he wants. Powell was needed more in that playoff game than Mo meant to that game..that was the point!

The connection is Powell was more important during our 5 game winning streak than Mo & that was before people were saying pay Mo what he wants. Powell was needed more in that playoff game than Mo meant to that game..that was the point!

I still don't understand why having one precludes having the other. Maybe I am missing something?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree someone had to go but I think Sheldon is that guy.  Guy is a suspension waiting to happen And an arrogant doosh to boot.  Sack Sheldon, keep mo, keep snacks.  WilliAms still 3 years on rookie deal.  Upside when you can draft that talent get some affordable yeArs.  Better than paying Suh a ransom to watch him go into hibernation right before your eyes.

we will just have to see how the staff thinks this will work out. Its there scheme and their philosophy and we don't have the luxury of knowing exactly how they want to proceed should be interesting to see what they can get for our odd man out by way of picks or via trade whether it be Mo Sheldon or Harrison ....either way I think Harrison will be the hardest to replace

Agree. I had historically always believed in building football teams from the lines first and then building the rest of the team. But you cannot ignore what the NFL is doing now. I watched our Dline, which is our most talented part of our team by far, get tackled 20 times per game with one call, many games this season. As much as I hate the direction the NFL has gone and is going, you cannot swim upstream here, you need to recognize the trends and adjust. 

The Bills basically kept 6-7 guys in tight on every passing play, held, and tackled our dline on running plays, and got one holding call against them. Our awesome talent did nothing and was completely neutralized, it was sickening to watch. With Sheldon and Willimans, the Dline should still be very talented and more talented than most teams in the NFL.

To win in todays NFL you need a passing offense, and be able to slow down opposing teams passing games, and outscore them. Games are not won in the trenches the way they used to be. They can be lost in the trenches, but not really won in the trenches.

do you have stats to back up the decline in holding calls. I suspect you are correct but I want the data if possible 

I still don't understand why having one precludes having the other. Maybe I am missing something?

The point is all based on the fact that him & his agent probably want something north of 12 million. Calais Campbell & Jordan Cameron signed for 11 per/year, they're good comps & don't play with guys as good as Sheldon & Snacks. We have a CB making 16 million, Mo has to sign for something similar to the guys above, if not you trade him. 

The point is all based on the fact that him & his agent probably want something north of 12 million. Calais Campbell & Jordan Cameron signed for 11 per/year, they're good comps & don't play with guys as good as Sheldon & Snacks. We have a CB making 16 million, Mo has to sign for something similar to the guys above, if not you trade him. 

ok i don't know if he wants 15, 12, 11, 10 i'm not privy to those conversations. but i just don't get how powell and mo are linked in any way beyond playing for same team. they are in as different of situations as two team mates could be. richardson or mo is an argument i can understand.

ok i don't know if he wants 15, 12, 11, 10 i'm not privy to those conversations. but i just don't get how powell and mo are linked in any way beyond playing for same team. they are in as different of situations as two team mates could be. richardson or mo is an argument i can understand.

If he wanted 10,11 or even 12 he would most likely been signed.. He shined when Sheldon was added in 2013 not that's sacks are the end all of stats but Coples had more sacks in his first 2 years then Mo did as a starter in his first 2 years.. In most 3-4 D's the LB'ers usually get the sacks that's where guys like LT were great.. Don't get me wrong I think Mo is a great guy and a excellent player but the NFL is a business and it's about whats best for the team not just one player..

If he wanted 10,11 or even 12 he would most likely been signed.. He shined when Sheldon was added in 2013 not that's sacks are the end all of stats but Coples had more sacks in his first 2 years then Mo did as a starter in his first 2 years.. In most 3-4 D's the LB'ers usually get the sacks that's where guys like LT were great.. Don't get me wrong I think Mo is a great guy and a excellent player but the NFL is a business and it's about whats best for the team not just one player..

You guys make a sound argument. I hope you are wrong but very well could be right

You don't let a player of that talent in that position go. He's far more reliable than Richardson too and less likely to be missing games.

I agree so long as he wants fair value. Some guys just have to have their value tested in free agency before accepting it

Archived