POLL: What should the Jets do with Mo Wilkerson?

jetscrazey

What should the Jets do with Mo Wilkerson?  

70 members have voted

1. 1. What should the Jets do with Mo?

• Franchise tag him, which could cost $15 million
    • Franchise tag him, but then trade him to a team willing to give him a new contract and get what you can in return
    • Let him walk, use the $15 million in cap space to improve in other areas

I think Mo has handled the contract situation very well over the past two seasons.  Was he really hurt this pre season?  Who knows but he has kept good on just being a Jet and letting the chips fall where they may.  Now that he is injured I would think he would want to secure a big pay day because if he were to re-injure himself again next year, assuming he comes back healthy, it would be a major financial blow to him and his family.

I will not blame him if he holds out for a new contract.

Abe was a All Pro his 2nd year in the League not quite the same Crusher unless Mo realizes he's not JJ Watt he'll be gone.. Let his agent find out what teams are willing to give for him and go from there.. We got a All Pro W/R for a 5th rd pick, fans that think the Jets would get 2 ones or a 1 and a 3 for Mo are delusional..

I just think it's dumb to get rid of our best player on defense.  Just not sure how that makes the team better. Unless there is an underlying behavior issue we don't know of. That being the reason we got an All pro W/R for a 5th.  Richardson is the guy I would rather see leave. He is a suspension waiting to happen.  

I just think it's dumb to get rid of our best player on defense. 

Every non-QB has the potential to be traded at any given time for the right price.  We never thought we'd trade Revis, either.  And at the time, it was the right move.  Had we known he'd end up in New England we would not have made that move.  But it was the right call at the time.  Much like Wilkerson, Revis was coming off a season-ending injury, where we had no clue how well he'd play post-injury. 

When you're dealing with a salary cap, sometimes decisions like these are necessary.  But the hope is it won't come to that.  We should not be paying him JJ Watt money, we know that much.  If we franchise Wilkerson and someone comes along and blows us away with an offer of 2 1st rounders (however unlikely), how could we possibly say no?  We know this franchise needs a franchise QB, and that kind of haul would put us closer towards that goal.  A franchise QB would do more than Wilkerson ever could.

Maybe if we trade him we can put a clause in the deal that they're not allowed to flip Wilk to the Patriots, lol.

What team would be dumb enough to trade for a franchise-tagged player?

Not only would they have to pay a top 5 position average salary, the player would be a FA at the end of the year anyway.

That scenario will never happen.

You can negotiate a contract before confirming the trade. Didnt the Bucs do that with Revis? 

I know I am in the minority, but let him walk.

He's a very good player but not enough of a game changer to command top dollars.  The defensive line also happens to be a position of strength for the Jets as they have two young and cheap players locked up for a few years who have very similar skill sets.

Save the $15 million per year and build up the other units on the team.  He's been a great team player and deserves a nice contract, but it's not going to come from the Jets.  It's the nature of the business, and it was inevitable after the team drafted multiple first round picks at the position for the past few years.

With all that said, I wouldn't be shocked or unhappy if the Jets did franchise tag him next season.  If a long term deal was going to happen, it probably would have happened already.

• Upvote 1

Given what defensive linemen cost, one can argue that the best strategy is to keep drafting them, keep them motivated for their next contracts and let them move on and collect the compensatory draft picks.  Instead, the Jets are using their cap dollars for veteran FA WRs and DBs, and for signing their own OL.  

The key for the Jets is to draft well going forward.  How good they are next year will be in large part dependent upon how much the 2016 draft picks are able to contribute.

It really seems to me that the NFL is trying to lesson the strength of Dlineman. If you watch the NFL, they are allowing egregious holding to go on, particularly on the interior of the line like never before. Occasionally they hammer teams for doing it, but it seems like more and more they are ignoring it. If this is the case, putting a ton of money into your Dline, and having it be a strongpoint of your team may not be very smart.

There are a lot of people who feel that the high school and college athletes who can chose between o line and d line are all choosing d line because sacks are where the money is.

We all know how the NFL will do everything to protect its scoring (QB's), so by lessoning the ability to get sacks on the d line, they can push those athletes back over to the offensive side again. I see this as a trend that I expect to get more pronounced, not less.

Agree, and said this same thing yesterday.

I think Mo is an outstanding player and would be unhappy to lose him. At the same time with the league allowing backup linemen to neutralize a superior DLman like Mo by holding with impunity, then we can get more value by trading him and not using 10% of the salary cap on Mo.

It sucks, but a GM has to recognize what the league is allowing even mediocre (or worse) OLmen to do. The solution isn't to get emotional about a good player. Rather, put the team's resources into areas the league allows you to exploit matchups. The roster will be better with Richardson, Williams, the trade compensation for Mo, and increasing (not decreasing) our spending limit by 10%.

• Upvote 3

We need edge rusher desperately and MLB/ILB. Challenge with speed more holds will be called

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree. Resign Snacks, Franchise+Trade Mo load up on picks upgrade the Oline,Rb,Lbs and throw the money for Mo at Von Miller or Bruce Irvin. (In a perfect world)

What's the big deal with paying him $15M for one year. Big one-year salaries don't create cap Hell. Multi-year deals with guaranteed money and resultant dead money do. One year at $15M would be a very team friendly deal versus say a 5 year deal for $60M with half guaranteed, even though that's "only" $12M/year average.

Sure the player might not like it but we aren't cutting him no way no how. Franchise is happening. 

Edited by jgb

Thread-starter here....I didn't put "long-term deal" as an option in the poll because I just don't think it's happening whether we like it or not.  Mo will want $15 million per a year or more, which is totally his right, but no way do the Jets give that, nor should they with Sheldon Richardson and Leonard Williams to fall back on.

The 3 options in the poll were the only 3 "realistic" options as I saw them

Edited by jetscrazey

Can you cite 2 or 3 recent examples where Team A tagged a player and then traded him to Team B?

Like I said originally, that scenario is nothing more than a pipe dream.

Cassel? You know a Pat? 

John Abraham? 

I just think it's dumb to get rid of our best player on defense.  Just not sure how that makes the team better. Unless there is an underlying behavior issue we don't know of. That being the reason we got an All pro W/R for a 5th.  Richardson is the guy I would rather see leave. He is a suspension waiting to happen.  

Hou don't get it?  You trade your best player in the front 7 for a draft pick that you use on a player to fit in your front 7.

then you pray, real hard that they drafted player becomes as good as the player you traded away. 

• Upvote 3

Given what defensive linemen cost, one can argue that the best strategy is to keep drafting them, keep them motivated for their next contracts and let them move on and collect the compensatory draft picks.  Instead, the Jets are using their cap dollars for veteran FA WRs and DBs, and for signing their own OL.  

The key for the Jets is to draft well going forward.  How good they are next year will be in large part dependent upon how much the 2016 draft picks are able to contribute.

Love the idea that you can just keep drafting a Mo Wilkerson.

Given the idea that he's a top 3 3-4 DL that says it won't happen. 

Dumb to let him go anyways.  Johnny Abe 2.  Got to work out a deal or franchise him period.  At least I think so.

whats dumb is to let Harrison go. We play a 3-4 defense LB are much more important and we have guys who can step in for Wilkerson. I like Wilkerson hes a good player but when was the last time he had a huge sack with the game on the line ? Sorry but a 3-4 defense dictates you need a rock solid NT and some DE's who can occupy blockers while your LB's make plays. The money Wilk will command is not in the cards for this team we have other holes that need to be addressed

• Upvote 1

The play after Wilk broke his leg, Stephen Bowen (a journeyman) came in for him and made a tackle for a loss. I know that's a small sample size, but it's a microcosm for the bigger picture. I'd rather bring back Douzable for cheap and spend elsewhere, like Harrison. Snacks, Williams, Douzable, Richardson, etc should be fine. 

• Upvote 4

What's the big deal with paying him $15M for one year. Big one-year salaries don't create cap Hell. Multi-year deals with guaranteed money and resultant dead money do. One year at $15M would be a very team friendly deal versus say a 5 year deal for $60M with half guaranteed, even though that's "only" $12M/year average.

Sure the player might not like it but we aren't cutting him no way no how. Franchise is happening. 

The big deal is it keeps a starter on the bench or puts him out of position to force all 3 out there. Also it's not just $15M. It's $15M and the high draft pick we use to have him for one year (by not trading him for a high draft pick we lose that high draft pick). 

Think of Mo as being off the team already, and he has 1 year $15M left on his contract for the 49ers or something. With 3-4 DEs galore on the Jets, who have clear other needs, I wouldn't trade a 1st or 2nd round pick to acquire yet another DE (Mo) for 1 season. It's effectively the same decision we have now.

• Upvote 3

The big deal is it keeps a starter on the bench or puts him out of position to force all 3 out there. Also it's not just $15M. It's $15M and the high draft pick we use to have him for one year (by not trading him for a high draft pick we lose that high draft pick). 

Think of Mo as being off the team already, and he has 1 year $15M left on his contract for the 49ers or something. With 3-4 DEs galore on the Jets, who have clear other needs, I wouldn't trade a 1st or 2nd round pick to acquire yet another DE (Mo) for 1 season. It's effectively the same decision we have now.

It's just a move to control rights and buy time to negotiate. Worst case one year for 15M. Not end of world

These are the current salaries for 3-4 defensive ends in the league: http://overthecap.com/position/3-4-defensive-end/

If Wilk is willing to be number 2 on that list for say, 11.5 or 12 per year, I'd probably keep him. I hate to keep seeing this franchise let all pro home grown talent walk. Those are the players that good franchises spend their money on. If Mo wants more than that, I'd probably franchise and seek to trade. 

It's just a move to control rights and buy time to negotiate. Worst case one year for 15M. Not end of world

Tag and trade to the highest bidder is the move. Even if the highest bidder offers only a 3rd round pick (which is unlikely). And do it early before all he FA talent has dried up so we can use that freed-up cap space on a couple of starters where we need serious upgrades more than we need one season of Mo, like at LB, the OL, Cro's replacement in the secondary. Or at QB if a surprise gets let go or offered for a pick. 

I know I am in the minority, but let him walk.

He's a very good player but not enough of a game changer to command top dollars.  The defensive line also happens to be a position of strength for the Jets as they have two young and cheap players locked up for a few years who have very similar skill sets.

Sheldon is only signed thru 2016, and committed 4 crimes in one day.  Yes, we will have the club option for a 5th year in 2017, worth the average value of the 3rd through 25th highest paid players at his position in 2016, which I'm sure we'll exercise rather than hand a long-term deal.  But he's volatile.

I think Leonard Williams will be a beast, but he's the only one I'm counting on being here a long time if we let Mo walk.  Have to factor that into our decisions on the DL.  Also factor in the cap going up over the next 4 years:  It is projected to be $160M in 2017, $170M in 2018, and $180M in 2019.  It's a good opportunity to keep our own players going forward.

• Upvote 1

Tag and trade to the highest bidder is the move. Even if the highest bidder offers only a 3rd round pick (which is unlikely). And do it early before all he FA talent has dried up so we can use that freed-up cap space on a couple of starters where we need serious upgrades more than we need one season of Mo, like at LB, the OL, Cro's replacement in the secondary. Or at QB if a surprise gets let go or offered for a pick. 

We're violently agreeing. Tag him step 1. Full stop.

Once you control rights then you hear offers and talk long term deal.

whats dumb is to let Harrison go. We play a 3-4 defense LB are much more important and we have guys who can step in for Wilkerson. I like Wilkerson hes a good player but when was the last time he had a huge sack with the game on the line ? Sorry but a 3-4 defense dictates you need a rock solid NT and some DE's who can occupy blockers while your LB's make plays. The money Wilk will command is not in the cards for this team we have other holes that need to be addressed

I get that.   Agree we need faster linebackers.  So we are gonna get better at sacking the QB in big spots by getting rid of our sack leader?  Ok?

Agree, and said this same thing yesterday.

I think Mo is an outstanding player and would be unhappy to lose him. At the same time with the league allowing backup linemen to neutralize a superior DLman like Mo by holding with impunity, then we can get more value by trading him and not using 10% of the salary cap on Mo.

It sucks, but a GM has to recognize what the league is allowing even mediocre (or worse) OLmen to do. The solution isn't to get emotional about a good player. Rather, put the team's resources into areas the league allows you to exploit matchups. The roster will be better with Richardson, Williams, the trade compensation for Mo, and increasing (not decreasing) our spending limit by 10%.

that's bad thinking imo- the league opinion on things like physicality and enforced rules change with the wind. Basic Football still requires good line play and you can't risk losing a key piece over that particular line of thinking. I would be in favor of other reasons, like upgrading on a area of pressing need- but not for the reason you are stating. 

• Upvote 2

I get that.   Agree we need faster linebackers.  So we are gonna get better at sacking the QB in big spots by getting rid of our sack leader?  Ok?

People on here too clever by half sometimes. If these guys were GMs we would have a team full of dimitri pattersons. Cheap lotto tickets that more often than not leave you short on grocery money.

Sheldon is only signed thru 2016, and committed 4 crimes in one day.  Yes, we will have the club option for a 5th year in 2017, worth the average value of the 3rd through 25th highest paid players at his position in 2016, which I'm sure we'll exercise rather than hand a long-term deal.  But he's volatile.

I think Leonard Williams will be a beast, but he's the only one I'm counting on being here a long time if we let Mo walk.  Have to factor that into our decisions on the DL.  Also factor in the cap going up over the next 4 years:  It is projected to be $160M in 2017, $170M in 2018, and $180M in 2019.  It's a good opportunity to keep our own players going forward.

What should factor is that with all the holding allowed against him, he's not worth $15M and a high pick even if Sheldon is out of football tomorrow. 

• Upvote 1

that's bad thinking imo- the league opinion on things like physicality and enforced rules change with the wind. Basic Football still requires good line play and you can't risk losing a key piece over that particular line of thinking. I would be in favor of other reasons, like upgrading on a area of pressing need- but not for the reason you are stating. 

We will still have above average line play and depth without him. We don't have Mo Williams and nobody else. Far from it. 

You don't sign Mo to a $15M per season contract, and forgo the high draft pick we'd get for him, on a crossing-fingers hope the league suddenly allows QBs to get sacked (by 300-lb monsters like Mo) more easily by calling OL holding more.

• Upvote 1

We're violently agreeing. Tag him step 1. Full stop.

Once you control rights then you hear offers and talk long term deal.

I wouldn't sign him long term unless he was taking $10M per that he won't take (nor would I in his position). The negotiating position he's in is he already will have $15M for the upcoming season alone. 

We got him for cheap through now. Take the money and run. 

He's a terrific player. But we aren't close to barren at the position without him. 

This whole thing is pretty simple, if his agent wants more than 11 million trade him! Calais Campbell & Jordan Cameron are good barometers for Mos contract. Neither of those two are lining up with Sheldon Richardson & Snacks each week either.

If he wants more trade him & use that 15 million to sign a Bruce Irvin plus another need. When you really look at it did our Dline strike FEAR into opposing teams like it was suppose to? TJ Yates rolled off his couch & ate a ham sandwich while throwing bombs to Deandre Hopkins. Do you know why we didn't win that game in Houston? Because our Oline was abused by a TRUE MONSTER Dlineman JJ Watt. We need a lot more help going forward on our Oline, at LB, and 3rd WR & RB, and Special teams then giving a guy a 90 million $ contract when we already have Leo & Sheldon on the cheap. 

He's worth it to a team with a 3-man front who has garbage talent (or only aging talent) up front. A team who is considering burning their first round pick on a 3-4 DE in the upcoming draft. For that team, he's a sure thing that they dream of their first round pick turning into (albeit with an additional $10M/year price tag over their first round pick). 

Thing is, he's just not worth it for us. Without Mo, we have a best case scenario of Richardson and Williams. That duo may even prove to be an upgrade; they certainly are talent-wise. Worst case (other than injuries which don't count in projections because you don't sign a $15M/year player for depth) is Williams plus half a season of Richardson, who then holds out half the 2017 season as well. Still BFD. A good DE from the draft or in the $5-7M range PLUS a high pick PLUS the extra $8-10M we can spend on another starter elsewhere > $15M per for Wilkerson.

This is the bed that one makes when one drafts someone at the same position #6 in the country, 2 years after drafting the same position #13 in the country. The only way around it is to move Richardson for very little given his offseason troubles and potentially looming 2nd suspension (before his 2017 contract difficulties). We'd save a whopping $3M on the cap over the next 2 seasons combined, which will barely make a dent in Mo's contract.

The one to trade, where we get something, is Mo. Tag and trade no matter what the highest bid is, and do it by March 10-15 at the latest so we can use the savings before the most coveted FAs get scooped up. 

• Upvote 1

The play after Wilk broke his leg, Stephen Bowen (a journeyman) came in for him and made a tackle for a loss. I know that's a small sample size, but it's a microcosm for the bigger picture. I'd rather bring back Douzable for cheap and spend elsewhere, like Harrison. Snacks, Williams, Douzable, Richardson, etc should be fine. 

That DL + depth should still be better than fine. What no one is allowing is, while it doesn't seem so today, it might actually be better. It's not like Williams and Richardson are at all lesser talents than Wilkerson.

And then throw in a 1st/2nd round pick and then throw in $12-14M more to spend every year. Mo's great but he isn't worth all that to this team.

That DL + depth should still be better than fine. What no one is allowing is, while it doesn't seem so today, it might actually be better. It's not like Williams and Richardson are at all lesser talents than Wilkerson.

And then throw in a 1st/2nd round pick and then throw in $12-14M more to spend every year. Mo's great but he isn't worth all that to this team.

Agree, we have a lot of needs at key positions moving forward that a high draft pick would be very helpful for.

Agree, we have a lot of needs at key positions moving forward that a high draft pick would be very helpful for.

I'll be very curious to see what his market value will be.  Trading Mo is 100 % worth it if it gets us closer to finding a franchise QB, or at the very least, puts us in better position to build around Fitz/Petty for the next few years.

The thing is you can't keep everybody (especially if you're going to keep using high 1st round picks on the same position and then sign the likes of Revis to guaranteed $16M/year contracts). And I fully expect to hear about it with every sack Mo racks up for another team. So be it. He had 12 sacks this year against trash competition including lots of backups, with all that DL talent alongside him attracting attention. And we're still on the outside looking in during the playoffs.

This team needs to put those resources elsewhere, like it or not. And for the record, I do not like it, even if I acknowledge it's necessary. How expensive is this defense and they still couldn't get off the field against the freaking Bills in a win & we're in game?