A Hall voter requested that someone put Griffey's swing on a loop and I can't stop staring at it.

RutgersJetFan

And he still will not get 100%.

I don't get why the Hall does that.

How was Greg Maddux not 100%?  He won 340+ games and 4 straight Cy Youngs.  Same with Randy J, same with Pedro.  But that goes back, how was WIllie Mays not 100%?  Or Phil Rizzuto?

How was Greg Maddux not 100%?  He won 340+ games and 4 straight Cy Youngs.  Same with Randy J, same with Pedro.  But that goes back, how was WIllie Mays not 100%?  Or Phil Rizzuto?

This article does a good job of outlining Griffey's chances at getting 100 % of the vote and the reasons he might not:  http://www.sportingnews.com/mlb-news/4689425-baseball-hall-of-fame-2016-ken-griffey-results-votes-totals-unanimous

In short, some writers are simply d*cks.  Others would prefer to throw their support at players unlikely to get in, because you're "only" allowed to vote 10 players. 

As of December 29th, he's 112 for 112, but among the 350 remaining ballots, there will be some a$$hole(s) who doesn't vote him in, and will get exposure for doing so due to social media.  They give him a 100 % chance of getting in, but only a 50/50 shot at getting in unanimously.

This article does a good job of outlining Griffey's chances at getting 100 % of the vote and the reasons he might not:  http://www.sportingnews.com/mlb-news/4689425-baseball-hall-of-fame-2016-ken-griffey-results-votes-totals-unanimous

In short, some writers are simply d*cks.  Others would prefer to throw their support at players unlikely to get in, because you're "only" allowed to vote 10 players. 

As of December 29th, he's 112 for 112, but among the 350 remaining ballots, there will be some a$$hole(s) who doesn't vote him in, and will get exposure for doing so due to social media.  They give him a 100 % chance of getting in, but only a 50/50 shot at getting in unanimously.

I've heard the rationale for some of those dumbasses. "If Babe wasn't unanimous, no one gets to be".

Extrapolate that to other guys that the voters may consider the best ever, and you have your reason for why there won't be a unanimous voter till the newer generation kicks the older voters out. 

I've heard the rationale for some of those dumbasses. "If Babe wasn't unanimous, no one gets to be".

Extrapolate that to other guys that the voters may consider the best ever, and you have your reason for why there won't be a unanimous voter till the newer generation kicks the older voters out. 

The Babe didn't even get the highest % of the vote all-time!  Tom Seaver (98.8 %) is the highest, followed by Cal Ripken (98.5).  In what universe should those 2 have gotten a higher % than the Babe?  Yet it happened, and that stupid precedent can effectively be thrown out of the window.

Hell, even the year the Babe went in, Ty Cobb (98.2) got a higher %, and Honus Wagner (95.1) equaled Ruth. 

At the very least, I hope Griffey clears the 99 % hurdle for the first time ever.  Can't do much about the other 1 % being idiots/jerks, but he deserves the top slot at least.  He dominated in an era where he was one of the few never linked to steroids whatsoever.

The Babe didn't even get the highest % of the vote all-time!  Tom Seaver (98.8 %) is the highest, followed by Cal Ripken (98.5).  In what universe should those 2 have gotten a higher % than the Babe?  Yet it happened, and that stupid precedent can effectively be thrown out of the window.

Hell, even the year the Babe went in, Ty Cobb (98.2) got a higher %, and Honus Wagner (95.1) equaled Ruth. 

At the very least, I hope Griffey clears the 99 % hurdle for the first time ever.  Can't do much about the other 1 % being idiots/jerks, but he deserves the top slot at least.  He dominated in an era where he was one of the few never linked to steroids whatsoever.

Agreed.

Whomever the 3 voters who left off Griffey can get bent. Also, I'll never understand why if a guy wasn't good enough the first time, why he is the 4th or 5th time. It makes zero sense. They need to revamp who votes. 

Part of that is personality of the player.  A lot of these writers are sensitive d*ckbags, so if a player was mean to them once, they won't vote them in.  But over time, those strong feelings dissipate.  Not to mention, the pool of voters shifts over time too as older writers die off.  Future writers will look more fondly at Barry Bonds than the current old guard does, for instance.  Bonds and Clemens saw their voting % go up from 37 to 45 and 44, respectively, compared to last year.

Furthermore, some players deserve to be first ballot hall of famers more than others.  When you only have 10 players you can vote in a given year, some guys who get passed over in a stronger class year might get in the next year with a weaker class.  Mike Piazza is a guy who benefitted from that this year after missing out last season.  Does anyone think there's any rational argument to suggest Piazza is NOT a Hall of Famer?  He's one of the top 3 offensive catchers of all-time, if not # 1, with only one weakness (throwing out runners, which didn't matter as much in his era).  

Phil Rizzuto should not be in the HOF.  

• 3 weeks later...

He really was just so good.  Literally could do anything, and he freaking killed the Yankees.

Hated him more than any other player in baseball aside from Maddux and Jack Morris...but man, he was something else.

• 3 weeks later...
On Wednesday, January 06, 2016 at 11:46 AM, chirorob said:

Not even Ty Cobb or babe ruth  got 100% 

Always that one a$$hole out there denying greatness 

Archived