Revis Island is now a tourist destination

prime21

Although the Coach and Revis downplay his decline as a shutdown corner its inevitable that his skills have begun to decline.

Although his legs and reaction time are in decline, I did see a few wide angle shots of Revis playing defense this week and a few previous games and his brain is not older.  I saw several times where his reactions to the WR's moves was still on point.  One example was play they showed this week where Watkins was running a deep route in the middle of the field and did a double move.  Revis turned his body perfectly so that he was able to react quickly and was able to run in either direction that Watkins was going to go without him having to turn his entire body around and loose site of him.  It is what made him such a great shutdown corner.   

He never was never a speed guy but smart and quick enough to anticipate moves and tendencies and pretty much blanket you.  That speed issue is now a big problem.  It didn't matter how fast you were because he would play right up in your face but now he is worried about guys like Watkins getting deep on him. He knows what to do but these speedy younger WR's are too quick for him to stay with consistently. This week he seemed to worry about Watkins speed over the top which is why Watkins was able to get so many short catches.  Add into the equation that QB's are no longer scared of throwing his way means that Revis is just another corner to most teams now.  They still respect him and his skills but they no longer fear him and now will take what Revis gives them.  Play off and they will go underneath.  Play up and they will take shots down the field.    He is definitely no Cromartie who will give you 5-10 yard cushions and still get burned deep but going forward Revis will play less one on one coverage (depending on the opponent and scheme). 

I don't know if his future eventually takes him to the safety position.  I'm not sure that he would be good there but we'll see.  Next year will see if he still is very productive on a lesser level or will he just fall off the map like Nnamdi Asomugh did.  I think he will still be very productive as long as the coaches use him accordingly.  If he cannot hold some of these great WR's one on one then give him help.

I still can't wait to see his image on the top of the JetNation banner right next to Martin.

#RevisOnJN

Urgent conversation?  This is all there is to the conversation:

"How much cap space do we save by cutting him?"

"8 million dollars."

"OK lets cut him."

Agree.  

I would bring him back at 3 million if he would take the cut and let him battle for a starting spot.   

Agree.  

I would bring him back at 3 million if he would take the cut and let him battle for a starting spot.   

The corner market is so thin, he might be able to squeeze 5 or 6 million out of some suckers. I mean, the Jets gave Buster Skrine 25 million over 4 years and a lot of his numbers weren't great. I'd say he had a very average season.

The corner market is so thin, he might be able to squeeze 5 or 6 million out of some suckers. I mean, the Jets gave Buster Skrine 25 million over 4 years and a lot of his numbers weren't great. I'd say he had a very average season.

Darrin Walls will get $10M per, probably.

how are people surprised that 30 year old Revis after major knee surgery isn't as good as 25 year old Revis, who was arguably the greatest of all time?

I don't think anyone's surprised by it, but I think a lot of people are struggling to acknowledge it.

Although the Coach and Revis downplay his decline as a shutdown corner its inevitable that his skills have begun to decline.

Although his legs and reaction time are in decline, I did see a few wide angle shots of Revis playing defense this week and a few previous games and his brain is not older.  I saw several times where his reactions to the WR's moves was still on point.  One example was play they showed this week where Watkins was running a deep route in the middle of the field and did a double move.  Revis turned his body perfectly so that he was able to react quickly and was able to run in either direction that Watkins was going to go without him having to turn his entire body around and loose site of him.  It is what made him such a great shutdown corner.   

He never was never a speed guy but smart and quick enough to anticipate moves and tendencies and pretty much blanket you.  That speed issue is now a big problem.  It didn't matter how fast you were because he would play right up in your face but now he is worried about guys like Watkins getting deep on him. He knows what to do but these speedy younger WR's are too quick for him to stay with consistently. This week he seemed to worry about Watkins speed over the top which is why Watkins was able to get so many short catches.  Add into the equation that QB's are no longer scared of throwing his way means that Revis is just another corner to most teams now.  They still respect him and his skills but they no longer fear him and now will take what Revis gives them.  Play off and they will go underneath.  Play up and they will take shots down the field.    He is definitely no Cromartie who will give you 5-10 yard cushions and still get burned deep but going forward Revis will play less one on one coverage (depending on the opponent and scheme). 

I don't know if his future eventually takes him to the safety position.  I'm not sure that he would be good there but we'll see.  Next year will see if he still is very productive on a lesser level or will he just fall off the map like Nnamdi Asomugh did.  I think he will still be very productive as long as the coaches use him accordingly.  If he cannot hold some of these great WR's one on one then give him help.

I still can't wait to see his image on the top of the JetNation banner right next to Martin.

#RevisOnJN

Its a natural decline. People who think he is done should look at Charles Woodson

when i hear people say, that there is no more revis island, it sounds like they were expecting him to be in his 2009-10 form.

2009/2010 Revis was the best CB play EVER in the history of this league.  it was not realistic to expect that from him.  he played great at times and struggled at times, he did not look right the 2nd half of the year and I believe he as hurt but we'll see.

Its a natural decline. People who think he is done should look at Charles Woodson

woodson was never a cover corner like revis(better playmaker not better shutdown corner) and he is much better as a ball hawking safety than he was as a corner(just like Rod Woodson).  I don't know if revis can make that can of impact at S someday.

we are stuck with revis for another 2 years right?   he showed his age a bit this year - but he did seem to be always around the ball - bunch of fumble recoveries and some key interceptions.

I wouldn't even call it stuck.  He's still a good player, but we need to treat him as he actually is, and not his reputation, and give him help vs. the Watkins, Coopers, Hopkins, etc of the league.

This free agent CB market isn't bad, as I expect the Raiders to get one starting CB  and possible another nickel CB . ( depending where they play Tj Carrie Fs or CB).

the CB that they will be targeting are probably the Sean Smith( 29 little up there in age as prefer someone little younger - little risky at that age) or 26  Trumaine Johnson 6'2 210 ( nice fit in there defense.     And say nickel CB  Jeremy Lane( Seattle) - coming off Acl tear in last years Super Bowl. ( big loss for that defense)  Ken Norton Jr should be all over him.

I wouldn't even call it stuck.  He's still a good player, but we need to treat him as he actually is, and not his reputation, and give him help vs. the Watkins, Coopers, Hopkins, etc of the league.

yah stuck isn't the right word.  have him cover #2s without any help or give him help with the really good guys.

Revis not done but hes not what he used to be either. All you have to do is watch film or see how Watkins man handled him Sunday. With that said the NOW Revis is still better then about 80% of the corners out there. We paid the man, hes not going anywhere, lets give him a little more help over the top and we should be fine.

I still don't know WTF Bowles & Kacey were thinking? Stop Watkins...Stop the Bills! To allow Revis to just sit out there by himself when their only other option was Greg Salas is criminal coaching. My god, the Bills had NO CLAY, NO WOODS, had just recently signed Salas & with basically a 1st year QB, let Watkins abuse us for 11 catches for 136 yards in the wind & 20 degree temps?

Really? What the hell kind of game plan is that? Stop that stupid 7 yard out three times by giving Revis over the top help so he could cut the route up, also our Dline should have been in position to knock down a few passes on Watkins side, we knew that's where they wanted to go. On one 3rd down Leo is spinning where had he just jumped there was no way Taylor gears the ball past him to Watkins. 3rd & 7 boys, the balls coming out quick, time these f*cking QBs & knock down some god damned passes, something we rarely do. Again, the Pats practice this down & distance sh*t all the time, Ninkovich knocks down 2 freaking passes a game. This was a team loss but not game planning better to shut down Watkins reminded me of the Houston game with Hopkins & I thought our coaches might gleam a little more knowledge out of that loss going forward but Sunday confirmed they just couldn't or weren't prepared to adapt.

I was pointing out that this game was not completely lost because of the way revis covered watkins, there were other factors. Thanks for the dumb response to my post.  

Um, we are all aware that the Jets screwed up on my many levels. There are many threads about it. This thread was devoted to Revis' inability to stop Watkins and not about Quigley. If there was a separate thread started to discuss Quigley's crappy punting I wouldn't post "Yeah, but Revis sucked too." 

Archived