Cleveland Browns hire Mets VP of Scouting Paul Depodesta

Matt39

The guy played football and baseball. He did have some minor league job with the Baltimore Stallions.  They were a CFL team, but had some significance because Baltimore used them as proof that they could support another team after the Colts left.  I assume they are going to use this guy based upon his ability to judge scouts and apply the gay math sh*t to sports.  I don't think he is going to be scouting, but being able to read through the scouting reports and knowing who is good at sifting through all the bullsh*t in them is a skill too.

Hey cpa, Tannenbaum was an accountant that went to law school.  You're not a lawyer because you went to law school and then interned for some NY-Penn League affiliate of the Mets. Actually, I guess he's not an accountant either, but he does have the degrees.  He has made a decent amount of money, so I guess that .he has done quite well for himself.  He can't field a punt, but I can't find that gif anymore.

Tanny in my view is the poster child of the wrong person to hire. 

I'm not sure why everybody thinks teams should all go with Wolf/Casserly.  Do you think they are going to give their best candidates to every team?  These consultant types can help you pick the best available candidate based upon your criteria (like being forced to keep Rex) but they are not a magic bullet.  Bowles and Maccagnan had ties to Wolf/Casserly.  Do you think they have 31 other close friends and mentees that will be ready to take over franchises?  I think Haslam only spoke with Wolf regarding hirind his son as GM.

With CLE being such a train wreck Haslam could do a lot worse than giving the franchise over to

Coughlin.  He would be energized and at least would give that franchise credibility

Good points. I would pay to be in the room when Coughlin shows Johnny the drunk the door.

oh yeah...only football men can do that.  Please..have you ever worked for a large company and a TRUE leader comes in?

I have.  I google names of the guys I started at PWC in NYC with and its incredible. they run Hedge funds, Billion dollar Real Estate companies, a few are CEO's of public companies.  At one point..someone called them an accountant.

When you see guys like this...you see it, you sense it, and you follow it.  Its rare and is not industry specific.

I suppose this Mets guy will be bringing all his experience winning World Series with him.

With CLE being such a train wreck Haslam could do a lot worse than giving the franchise over to

Coughlin.  He would be energized and at least would give that franchise credibility

Good points. I would pay to be in the room when Coughlin shows Johnny the drunk the door.

Is there any chance Coughlin would take that job? I would think there are a handful of plum jobs he'd be willing to take at this point, and none of them are open right now (and none of them are in Cleveland!). I thought maybe Indianapolis would draw his attention, and the TV crew (Cowher, Gruden, etc), maybe San Diego, but neither became available.

Joe Thomas might be available:

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2016/1/4/10707920/joe-thomas-trade-browns-head-coach-mike-pettine

The Browns have finally broken Joe Thomas

By James Brady on Jan 4, 2016, 10:41a

The Cleveland Browns have been a complete and utter mess for the last several years, and through it all one of the best players in the NFL has kept his head down and done his job as well as anybody else in the league.

But offensive tackle Joe Thomas may have finally had enough. After the Browns' season-ending loss to the Pittsburgh Steelers Sunday, the nine-year veteran did not rule out asking for a trade depending on what happens with the front office and coaching staff next, according to the Akron Beacon Journal.

"I was always wanting to be here and be part of the turnaround, but when there's changes in the front office, changes in the coaching staff, they may not want me," he said. "They [may] want to go younger. It may be a situation where I don't want to be here. I don't know. There's too many unknowns to really say one way or the other."

On Sunday, the Browns fired general manager Ray Farmer and head coach Mike Pettine. They are searching for their fourth head coach in five seasons. Over that time, Thomas has reliably manned the left tackle spot better than just about anybody else in the NFL and is the longest-tenured player on the Browns roster. He has never missed a game in his NFL career.

"I'm not saying yes, I'm not saying no, but there's a lot of unknowns and who knows what's going to happen next week," Thomas said, when asked whether he specifically wants to go to a new team.

Since the Browns selected him with the No. 3 overall pick in 2007, Thomas has been named a first-team All-Pro five times, a second-team All-Pro twice and has made it to nine Pro Bowls, every year of his career.

Just a few months ago, Thomas stated his intentions to stick it out after he was nearly traded to the Denver Broncos.

"I'm not a quitter,'' the 31-year-old said in November. "I'm not a guy that gives up on my goals and my goal from day one was to be part of the turnaround here and that hasn't changed. I want to finish my career here."

Thomas did reiterate that helping the Browns make a turnaround is still his goal, but with all of the changes looming, that's looking incredibly unlikely. Nobody will ever insinuate Thomas didn't do his part to help the Browns get better on the field, but there's nothing he can do to fix a chaotic front office and a constantly rotating coaching staff.

Thomas will be wearing a Browns helmet once again on Jan. 31 in the 2016 Pro Bowl, but whether that is the last time we see him representing the organization is the question.

It will be interesting to see what happens if Depodesta succeeds (and I wouldn't be shocked if he did btw).  This could cause more cross-over for executives from different sports.  That would be nuts.  Imagine worrying about your GM going to not only a different team but a different sport?

He's a guy who talents translate across sports.  He'll know what to look for in a GM and what not to look for.  He did a great job restructuring the Mets scouting department and the way they went out to get talent.  

So...hiring a lawyer with absolutely NO NFL experience except cap stuff (Tanny) is a good move?

I dont know DePodesta BUT assume he is a smart businessman.  If so...probably a better choice than half the executive VP's and GM's the JETS have hired.

Gary Bettman, NHL, was a basketball guy.  

With all due respect, Bettman has been a disaster.Sure, he's made money for the league, a lot. He has also help solidify it as the #4 spot with little hope of moving up. IMO, the NBA's grasp on  winter TV is ripe for the picking and has been for a while now. Bettman decided to rip the heart out of the game and now we have things like 3 on 3 all star games and AHLers as 'captains' of all star teams. Expansion has watered down the league. The owners don't care because they get paid every time. Sorry, the NHL is a disaster. 

There is an urban legend out there that the NBA gave good refferals to the NHL about Bettman. And why wouldn't they give a lawyer who knew sh*t about their biggest rival a good reference? 

CLE never fails in screwing up!!!  They ALWAYS change coaches yet ownership won't go

to Casserly/Wolf to help them pick a new management team.  Do they really think a baseball

guy is going to straighten out a football team???  Fools!!!

CLE ownership changed in 2012

Archived