Bills another team that does not recognize greatness

Scott Dierking

when did I ever say if we don't win the SB the season is worth nothing?  you are completely making that up. This season would have been a success had we won last week, nowhere have I EVER said a season is only a success if we win a SB.

this year was a lot better than last year but still ending bitterly.  a bitter loss in postseason is easier to take, at least you are playing a playoff team and you get extra week(s) of football.  we lost to a team we were MUCH better than in a game we weren't prepared for.

Your right, you never said that, but you did say going 10-6 without making the playoffs is worth nothing. In 09 we lucked our asses off getting into the playoffs at 9-7, and an argument can be made if the Colts don't sit their players, we could have easily gone 7-9 that year. Giants won a SB going 9-7, we did not get in at 10-6. Sucks, but to somehow act like Rex did something great getting in at 9-7 and Bowles did something terrible not getting in at 10-6 is EXTREMELY hypocritical.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your right, you never said that, but you did say going 10-6 without making the playoffs is worth nothing. In 09 we lucked our asses off getting into the playoffs at 9-7, and an argument can be made if the Colts don't sit their players, we could have easily gone 7-9 that year. Giants won a SB going 9-7, we did not get in at 10-6. Sucks, but to somehow act like Rex did something great getting in at 9-7 and Bowles did something terrible not getting in at 10-6 is EXTREMELY hypocritical.

There is always a bit of luck in making playoffs in any particular season-There is always some things that have to happen on multiple fronts.

That said, Bowles and his team failed when it was right in front of him and all he needed was a win. He did not accomplish that. It is on him.

My hope that it is a learning experience, and not a trend

some years 9-7 is better than 10-6.  In 2001 we went 10-6, in 202 we went 9-7.  our 2002 would have crushed the '01 team.  In '08 we were 9-7, in '09 we were 9-7.  the '09 team was MUCH better than '08.

we had more luck this year and couldn't get in.
Giants went 10-6 and missed but their playoffs came in week 16, a game they got crushed in and they were basically dead in week 17.  we controlled our own destiny in 2009 and 2015.  In 2009 we made it, in 2015 we failed.

It's amazing how jet fans will try to take credit away from the team for making a conf title game.

it's too bad Bowles didn't have such advantages w/ that incredibly difficult sched then watching Pitt lose and needing only to beat a dead Bills team but we'll take credit away from rex for winning playoff games.

This is one thing I'll never get about Jets fan.  Especially considering our miserably pathetic history.  Love or hate Rex, we'll be lucky to make it to back to back AFCCG's again in our franchise history.  Hell, we may never make it back again at all.  But everyone around here mocks it like it's no big deal and happens all the time. 

Strange.  To say the least. 

This is one thing I'll never get about Jets fan.  Especially considering our miserably pathetic history.  Love or hate Rex, we'll be lucky to make it to back to back AFCCG's again in our franchise history.  Hell, we may never make it back again at all.  But everyone around here mocks it like it's no big deal and happens all the time. 

it is so odd, I expect rival fans to say that stuff but Jet fans?  jet fans who were going nuts during those runs.  I had so much fun those 2 postseasons, we didn't finish the job but it was still so much fun and I will always appreciate it.  doesn't mean I think Rex should have been here for life but I appreciate what he and the team were able to do.

when did I ever say if we don't win the SB the season is worth nothing?  you are completely making that up. This season would have been a success had we won last week, nowhere have I EVER said a season is only a success if we win a SB.

this year was a lot better than last year but still ending bitterly.  a bitter loss in postseason is easier to take, at least you are playing a playoff team and you get extra week(s) of football.  we lost to a team we were MUCH better than in a game we weren't prepared for.

I don't agree that we weren't prepared for it, I really don't. I think Revis sh!t the bed, and the Bills mediocre Oline completely neutralized our "dominating" d line by holding violently all day with only one call. On both of the Bills TD's, there were 2 bad holds that impacted the play that were ignored, same thing on MANY of those 3rd down conversions they had.

To make matters worse, the play before the first Fitz int, Marshall was being held bad in the end zone which was not called, and Revis was called for far less. Like it or not, the refs have a huge impact on the game.

We did a bad job adjusting to what they were doing with Watkins, but if you are paying Revis all that money, at some point you need him to step up. He wasnt, we should have made adjustments, that is on Bowles for sure.

I don't think the Bills were any better prepared than the Jets, and saying that is fluffing up Rex for the sake of doing it. That stupid flea flicker they attempted almost cost them the game, they were converting 3rd downs at will, and they tried that ridiculous play which got us the ball back and a chance to win. If that backfired, Rex gets killed for that.

The wind killed us, as much as I like Fitz, his lack of arm strength really hurt us in that game, along with bad drops. I still think if the refs called that game fair, we sin that game by 2 scores.

I don't agree that we weren't prepared for it, I really don't. I think Revis sh!t the bed, and the Bills mediocre Oline completely neutralized our "dominating" d line by holding violently all day with only one call. On both of the Bills TD's, there were 2 bad holds that impacted the play that were ignored, same thing on MANY of those 3rd down conversions they had.

To make matters worse, the play before the first Fitz int, Marshall was being held bad in the end zone which was not called, and Revis was called for far less. Like it or not, the refs have a huge impact on the game.

We did a bad job adjusting to what they were doing with Watkins, but if you are paying Revis all that money, at some point you need him to step up. He wasnt, we should have made adjustments, that is on Bowles for sure.

I don't think the Bills were any better prepared than the Jets, and saying that is fluffing up Rex for the sake of doing it. That stupid flea flicker they attempted almost cost them the game, they were converting 3rd downs at will, and they tried that ridiculous play which got us the ball back and a chance to win. If that backfired, Rex gets killed for that.

The wind killed us, as much as I like Fitz, his lack of arm strength really hurt us in that game, along with bad drops. I still think if the refs called that game fair, we sin that game by 2 scores.

Revis? we were playing zone all game, Revis is a press, man to man guy and we never adjusted even though it wasn't working all game long.  Buf had ONE player we had to worry about in the pass game.  the coaching was atrocious not to mention his awful use of Tos and clock mgmnt.  Coaching lost us this game more than anything.

bad calls happen, it didn't force Fitz to try to force a throw to decker.

the wind did affect us and yet didn't affect Buffalo.  that's coaching too.  in the 2nd half the wind didn't bother us, in the 1st half we came out spooked b/c of it.

Rex Ryan did not beat us!  The refs beat us!

So lets get this straight, Rex beat us? Did his turnkey neck ass suit up and play one down of football? I love how Rex fans give Rex all the credit for the wins, and blame the players for the losses, its comic gold.

Refs did not beat us, nor did Rex, the Bills PLAYERS beat the Jets PLAYERS.

The refs just allowed the Bills players to neutralize our greatest asset with one of the Bills assets, so that your hero could get to 8-8, yay Rex!

Revis? we were playing zone all game, Revis is a press, man to man guy and we never adjusted even though it wasn't working all game long.  Buf had ONE player we had to worry about in the pass game.  the coaching was atrocious not to mention his awful use of Tos and clock mgmnt.  Coaching lost us this game more than anything.

bad calls happen, it didn't force Fitz to try to force a throw to decker.

the wind did affect us and yet didn't affect Buffalo.  that's coaching too.  in the 2nd half the wind didn't bother us, in the 1st half we came out spooked b/c of it.

There were plenty of plays Rex was playing man and was giving 15 yards, I have watched the game 2 times now, he played very soft out of fear of getting burnt.

Fitz's throw was AWFUL, and there is nobody to blame but him, but you want to give Rex credit for that bad throw? Fact is, if Fitz does not make a terrible throw, we probably win the game.

There are a ton of what if's, if the Refs call the game fair, if Fitz makes a better throw, if we don't shank a punt, if we adjust our defense, if, if, if.....

But you want to give Rex credit for winning the game.

So lets get this straight, Rex beat us? Did his turnkey neck ass suit up and play one down of football? I love how Rex fans give Rex all the credit for the wins, and blame the players for the losses, its comic gold.

The refs just allowed the Bills players to neutralize our greatest asset with one of the Bills assets, so that your hero could get to 8-8, yay Rex!

Rex lost 12 games in 2014!  Rex didn't beat us!

There were plenty of plays Rex was playing man and was giving 15 yards, I have watched the game 2 times now, he played very soft out of fear of getting burnt.

Fitz's throw was AWFUL, and there is nobody to blame but him, but you want to give Rex credit for that bad throw? Fact is, if Fitz does not make a terrible throw, we probably win the game.

There are a ton of what if's, if the Refs call the game fair, if Fitz makes a better throw, if we don't shank a punt, if we adjust our defense, if, if, if.....

we played mostly zone, revis is not the old revis we know.  Bowles could have just given him help.  Revis sh*t down Watkins hen we played at home.

I don't know if we credit Rex but rex's player was clearly well coached to know where that ball was going.  it was like he was the intended receiver.

I don't give Rex as much credit for winning as I do give Bowles the blame for losing.  Bowles was badly outcoached.

It is strange; and I will always be grateful for Tanny/Rex for that. The problem is like with anyone trying to make a point with stats, they hand pick the games/stats; they also give credit for wins to one person, but blame for losses to another.

We have a Jets team that went 10-6 and many want to give all of the credit to Mac (he does deserve quite a bit); Rex went 8-8 and many say he had a better year.

Moot point, Tanny is in Miami and Rex is in Buffalo; Rex deserves the credit for the back-to-back AFCGs, and plenty of blame for the 8-8 season.  Bowels deserves some credit for the 10-6 season and some blame for each loss.  Said, but I felt that if we could beat Buffalo, we could have done pretty well in the playoffs, probably not AFCG, but still.

Oh well, on to the offseason and the draft.

It is strange; and I will always be grateful for Tanny/Rex for that. The problem is like with anyone trying to make a point with stats, they hand pick the games/stats; they also give credit for wins to one person, but blame for losses to another.

We have a Jets team that went 10-6 and many want to give all of the credit to Mac (he does deserve quite a bit); Rex went 8-8 and many say he had a better year.

Moot point, Tanny is in Miami and Rex is in Buffalo; Rex deserves the credit for the back-to-back AFCGs, and plenty of blame for the 8-8 season.  Bowels deserves some credit for the 10-6 season and some blame for each loss.  Said, but I felt that if we could beat Buffalo, we could have done pretty well in the playoffs, probably not AFCG, but still.

Oh well, on to the offseason and the draft.

Bowles had a better year than rex but Rex was better when it mattered most to us.

I have no idea what you are trying to say here, none.

Mostly I am just saying that the bolded above seem kind of hypocritical.  Rex Ryan is not our coach anymore and he deserves to be gone.  OTOH, celebrating our new coach and Ryan's failure when he beat us in our most important game all year and in a prime time home game with fancy uniforms seems pretty stupid.  This team  had stupid penalties, timeouts called for ten men on the field, the lack of execution of the simplest things that should have been taught by Pop Warner coaches.  This is not the time or place to gloat.  Especially since a huge portion of the Rex hatred stems from inappropriate trash talk and gloating. 

If there is anything that we learned since 2009, it is that refs love Rex Ryan.

Bowles had a better year than rex but Rex was better when it mattered most to us.

When the Bills had momentum and they were still in contention they lost 4 of 5 games and were eliminated. The fact he got his team up to beat the Jets in Week 17 means nothing if he couldn't get them up in weeks 11-15. He failed when it mattered most to HIS team. When his team's backs were against the wall, they wilted like his always does. That's all that needs to be said.

When the Bills had momentum and they were still in contention they lost 4 of 5 games and were eliminated. The fact he got his team up to beat the Jets in Week 17 means nothing if he couldn't get them up in weeks 11-15. He failed when it mattered most to HIS team. When his team's backs were against the wall, they wilted like his always does. That's all that needs to be said.

I don't even know if his team was up to beat us, we played down to them.

it is so odd, I expect rival fans to say that stuff but Jet fans?  jet fans who were going nuts during those runs.  I had so much fun those 2 postseasons, we didn't finish the job but it was still so much fun and I will always appreciate it.  doesn't mean I think Rex should have been here for life but I appreciate what he and the team were able to do.

Disco was a craze once too. I didn't like it so much, and I sure don't put Village People records on the turntable today. 

What have you done for me lately>

Remember when Herm went to KC and there were a few holdouts who were suggesting that we'd realize how great Herm was when he was taking KC to Super Bowls and then he destroyed that Chiefs team and all of those Herm fans disappeared? 

Herm was never great but that doesn't take away from the good job he did for us and he did lead KC to the playoffs for only the 2nd time in about 8-9 years in case we forget before Peterson tore it down and eventually got them fired.

Disco was a craze once too. I didn't like it so much, and I sure don't put Village People records on the turntable today. 

What have you done for me lately>

when we have so few great moments in our history you would think fans would appreciate them.

At least one player was quoted as saying it was their SB.

The way I witnessed thing run around Rex during his tenure here, sounds about right. All that was missing was champagne spraying. 

that was a quote after Buf's game the previous sunday.   who cares? all that matters is Buf whooped us and we weren't ready to play in our biggest game in 5 years.

when we have so few great moments in our history you would think fans would appreciate them.

My life, and my opinion of Rex have moved on. As I mentioned earlier, once I saw how this team came out vs the Steelers, I began to look at Rex in a different light. That light was magnified based on the subsequent years.

Rex-Can win a big game for you. But balance it across a 19 game season, he is not that guy.

My life, and my opinion of Rex have moved on. As I mentioned earlier, once I saw how this team came out vs the Steelers, I began to look at Rex in a different light. That light was magnified based on the subsequent years.

Rex-Can win a big game for you. But balance it across a 19 game season, he is not that guy.

so you are ok w/ how Bowles had his team ready(also after beating NE) this week but you were done w/ rex coming off 2 title game apps?

Remember when Herm went to KC and there were a few holdouts who were suggesting that we'd realize how great Herm was when he was taking KC to Super Bowls and then he destroyed that Chiefs team and all of those Herm fans disappeared? 

Jets fanning 101.

Gripe with disgust that the team never does anything to improve, then warn against change and insist that _______ will go on to do great things now, and we've unwisely parted with our chance at greatness.

This thread says otherwise.  Unless you and your life have moved on in the last 18 hours.

Mostly I am just saying that the bolded above seem kind of hypocritical.  Rex Ryan is not our coach anymore and he deserves to be gone.  OTOH, celebrating our new coach and Ryan's failure when he beat us in our most important game all year and in a prime time home game with fancy uniforms seems pretty stupid.  This team  had stupid penalties, timeouts called for ten men on the field, the lack of execution of the simplest things that should have been taught by Pop Warner coaches.  This is not the time or place to gloat.  Especially since a huge portion of the Rex hatred stems from inappropriate trash talk and gloating. 

If there is anything that we learned since 2009, it is that refs love Rex Ryan.

Who is celebrating our new coach?

IMO, this game was a major improvement compared to the Thursday nighter against the Bills.

Every team is going to lose games in mod-year to anyone else. That happens.

Coaches are judges in "quality games" and those are when more chips are on the line.

Bowles receives some accolades on winning the Ptas game, but those are more than discounted with the Bills loss. he needs to do better in those spots in the future.

Archived