adb280z

2016 Mets Thread!

I'll take d'Aza because at least it's something. And a legit MLB bat but on the cheaper side. But the last time Sandy signed a FA outfielder it was Chris Young who got $7 mil for one year after a bad season in Oakland. It didn't work out. And they cut him in August. As it turns out that was even a worse decision than signing him. He came alive for the Yankees and even though we were paying him played pretty well that last 2 months of the season. Not a great front office move. 

Dude calm down. The team is way ahead of where they were last year at this time. Way ahead, and they're in good shape.

Second guessing every thing that happens is really lame. Chris Young? Lmao. C'mon man. The went to the World Series man. Didn't they they?

They're gonna be competitive. They're in the hunt...right now they're in the hunt.

I'm not sure. I am afraid to acknowledge that happened because I don't wanna be called an illiterate optimist bathing in a sea of credulous naivety again.

I root more for them to shut up the naysayers and know it alls than anything else half the time. Buying in to the negativity in the media towards them fuels a lot of it I think

It was an act of God what happened last year I guess.....cause everything about them absolutely sucks and there's idiots running the team on and off the field

It was the same routine last year here too. I'm cool with it. People bitching on the internet didn't really have an effect on deGrom's gorgeous hair nor Thor's giant throbbing hammer.

Or 'Tolo's chubby for that matter

It mighta effected Dark Knight's Aura tho

ESPN just ranked us the best rotation in the league. It's a shame the season's already a wash.

Right. Who cares that they're always trying to keep the Bullpen ahead of the curve, or that the middle D is actually good this year.

Man, I wanna win the Hot Stove League

• Upvote 1

The latest rumor has Cespy going to the Orioles, or at least they supposedly have offered him a contract. A few on this board seem to get pissed if you criticize management or don't accept the status quo being given us by the Wilpons and Sandy.Maybe they are Mets shareholders, they sure act like it. And bring up being in the WS in 2015 And say stuff like "well, what do you want!". The only reason for any of that was because they anted up money for a few bats. (and not that much) They would never have even made the playoffs without those deals Even with our starting pitching.And that's the point.. So when your outfield is basically weak offensively and all you do is sign d'Aza, There's reason for complaining. It's 2016. 

They ante'd up for the bats and players when they saw fit. Not reacting to every negative, criticizing, moaning, bleat, every step of the way. If they had listened to some writers and fans they would've crashed and burned, and Casey McGehee, and every other scrub that came along would be all over our roster now. **** the Wilpons, we're good in spite of them. And we are good

Edited by JohnJ

If Ces is sitting on that Baltimore offer right now they have to be going back to the Mets and begging for something in a similar ballpark. That dude wants to play in New York bad. There are like 5 Cubans in all of Baltimore, no way he really wants to play there.

Hope you're right. He'd be a God in the NYC latin community.

Cespy may have a wart that some people see, I couldn't give a ****

Edited by JohnJ

I wonder if Nimmo is somebody Sandy is considering as a significant contributor, or in the equation in the OF. He  seems like a decent player that does a lot of things okay, not great at anything particular tho

I think Nimmo is the reason they have been hesitant to invest long term in any center fielders. Gives them an extra year to decide if Nimmo is the real deal, because it seems like they're still not 100% sure. We'll get someone, it's just a matter of who, and if Nimmo shows any signs of being good enough by July or August at the latest he'll get called up. Then they'll shop Lagares again like they did last year.

Also this is the same reason they traded for Walker with respect to Herrera. But I'm still not sold on Herrera.

Good point about Herrera too. Looks like a nice player, but they're not rushing him at all. Maybe they feel Nimmo is further along in his development.

Sandy is gonna save chips too for mid-season tweaks

Look NImmo is not a consideration in signing Yo. He has no body of work to even compare with him. And you can say the same for the excuse of where to play him long term. With a bat like that you find a place for him and the guy is a good defensive outfielder. But they have already stated they won't give him more than 3 years. If we do sign him we are legit contenders. 

We're legit contenders if we don't sign Cespy.

Nimmo is in the equation one way or the other, and a small part of the reason they're not going long term on Cespy.

But everybody is balking on going long term, for a lot of reasons.

Throwing a long term big deal at Cespy guarantees nothing. But could comprise a teams ability to sustain a balanced complete line up long term

First why would any Mets fan be against giving Cespy a competitive deal. There's a big hole without him in the lineup. And the only reason we made the playoffs last year was because we added him. We have the starting pitching and the closer to win and some good position players but overall the offense and depth is just average or below average. We could take a chance and get lucky or wait until the trade deadline. But our team payroll of reportedly (by Sandy) 115 is very low. I'm just hoping that going into 2016 our entire roster is MLB not Pacific Coast League. 

First: what are talking about regarding Mets fans arguing against a competitive deal? Like wtf yo?

You're claiming that the season is coming down to Cespy signing or not....and that's just stupid and clueless.

As of right now it appears that the Mets are in competition for Cespy. Irregardless of some fans whining and whimpering about offering him some ridiculous long term monster deal just weeks ago......

And the team is way way way ahead of last year at this time. You're just droning on and on with some serious tired sh*t

Edited by JohnJ

It's not just about Cespy. It's about not really being competitive for free agents. And having one of the lowest payrolls in the league. You obviously are ok with that.

You're obviously trippin' bro.

You're obviously free to think whatever you're imagination can muster. 

Who the **** did they just sign to the bullpen? Don't bother with the Cespy tie in to the move....for the love God. Wow, Holy sh*t

I'm glad you're satisfied. 

Yeah, that was utter bs Familia blowing that save in Game 1. And Cespy not hitting the whole series. Unacceptable was the state of affairs with the team at that point.

I really don't know what your point is. If you're satisfied with the direction of the org then ok. IMO just like last summer I knew with our pitching we had a great opportunity to compete and maybe make a run of it. Same with this season but you need more offense. You don't give up your two best bats to someone in your division.

Lol.

Edited by JohnJ

Best pitching staff in baseball and a pennant? Nah. Clueless front office. And don't expect the Wilpons to ever shell out coin for a power bat either.

Soooo many people who were wrong, so little time.

Clueless is the operative word.

Thankfully I came in late on the 2016 thread and I missed most of that horse sh*t.

Mind boggling dumb sh*t in a baseball sense, lol

Kudos to Sandy Alderson! Here Here!! smileys-cheers-641856.gif

So glad that we've gotten more value out of the Fulmer trade.

Yes we paid YC big money, but compared to seeing him walk after giving up a promising young pitcher in Fulmer for 8 weeks of YC would have been a tough pill to swallow.

Now we get to keep the guy we traded a potential #2 starter for.

That makes it easier to swallow.

I thought the same thing. It extends the value of that trade.

It's going to be an exciting Spring Training this year.

And some of the position player prospects are starting to get their time in and a little closer to maturity, so it'll be fun to get a look at some of them too.

So if Ces walks after 1 year, we'll end up with back to back years of 2 first round picks each year (we got a 1st rounder after losing Murphy).

Ces sticks around, he's ours for another 2 years.

Win-Win. Sandy is awesome.

Sandy has done well. He has steadfastly grinded away and the work is is starting to shine.

I give him so much credit for plodding away in the face of negative perceptions, and in the face of the ignorant writers and fans, some of whom just like to spew negativity and even hate.

Most of all I wish him great health in the future.

He and Terry are such fine men and deserve every accolade they get, and a little more respect from some of the clueless small little bitches that think they know what they're looking at.

• Upvote 2

So you think Duda had a good season. I guess you weren't watching the same team. And what's wrong with criticizing Mets players. I like Travis a lot but he didn't throw a baserunner out for over a month. That's a concern. If you want to be a Mets cheerleader ok with me. 

Don't worry home boy, at least try not too. Sandy drafted the #3 1B prospect in MLB. It's covered bro

In the meantime Duda made himself into a good defensive player and he most likely gets 25-30  and 85 this year

But that's 'worrisome'...lol

But you wanna be a fake ass troll it's okay with me tho

Edited by JohnJ

I don't think Duda is in the long term plans for this franchise. Smith's glove is already better and he's probably on track to be a more consistent hitter; if he's not ready to come up by next year they'll take Duda to arbitration so he's on the team in 2017, but I think it's more likely he gets shopped than extended. There's actually a bunch of stuff that's still so up in the air right now for this team that's dependent on how Dilson, Nimmo, and Smith look in the Spring and first half of Summer. 

I like Duda, but man, he is so streaky. When he's on the guy is as good a power hitter as anyone in the league, but when he slumps he's a black hold in the middle of the lineup and it always seems to go on way too long.

I'm hoping that he has a really good year and becomes good trade bait.

Adding Cespedes really helps that prospect. 

I think the improved lineup top to bottom, and the addition of Cespedes, takes the pressure off him too. Duda's a little bit of a head case and I believe he put's too much pressure on himself. But he's a good guy and good major league 1st bagger

But I'm expecting a really good year from him, albeit with the inconsistencies. The better the team the better he'll be.....I think lol

Edited by JohnJ

A prospect isn't being covered. And I'm not a troll. And I'm not going to be waving any banners for Sandy or the org either. I don't forget or forgive the previous five seasons of spending no money and dipping into the farm system (for minor leaguers) which translated to 70 plus win seasons. I'm happy now because I think the org has given the team a chance to win. And that a 140 payroll while low is adequate. While I'm not for giving up on Duda last season he started to remind me of Ike Davis. Very inconsistent. But I think he needs another season to see how he does. He was looking better at the end of the year and maybe he was starting to put it together and listen to his hitting coach. If he goes into a deep black hole again he has to be replaced. 

Another monolithic block of bullsh*t

GFY

• Upvote 1

Maybe. It didn't seem to make much of a difference last year, and Collins refused to drop him in the order multiple times. And this was also when d'Arnaud was crushing it and he was sandwiched in between 4 guys all hitting well, including Yo. I think everyone is hoping for the best, he's an insanely popular guy in the locker room and that is really going to matter this year, but he'll be 30 when the season starts, I think it's safe to assume that this is just the type of player he is by now.

I don't think we're going to get much of a picture on how things are going to play out with him until April. If Smith still looks too raw in St Lucie I think he'll be given a much longer leash when it comes to his cold streaks. With him it's just a wait and see thing, but I definitely don't think he's getting resigned either way.

I'm optimistic and think the additions will help him. I think Terry will have a little more propensity to move him down with the depth there from the start.

Over the course of a full season I can live with the inconsistencies, and believe he'll contibute

It sounds like Smith is another year away. But it seem's to me he's a lock, a natural. Of course there's no guarantees.

But I would like to see Duda do well and then traded. That might be asking too much. He's an above average 1st Baseman and his 25-30 Hr's is a good thing, for now.

Whatever, just some thoughts

Looking at the 40 roster there appears to be a few other guys that could be candidates for the BP also. So it's safe to say that the BP is always a priority for the FO, and they're trying to keep a large pool of arms.

There's several young guys that appear to be rising and might be BP help even if they're projected starters.

I believe that's something St. Louis may have started as far as handling young arms, or at least made part of a successful way of handling some of their young pitchers

Yoenis Cespedes' return to Mets a win for Terry Collins -- and Wilpons 

Curtis Granderson, RF
Neil Walker, 2B
Cespedes, CF
Lucas Duda, 1B
David Wright, 3B
Michael Conforto, LF
Travis d'Arnaud, C
Asdrubal Cabrera, SS

Really psyched for the upcoming season. I think they're going to hit the ground running

I loved getting Walker and Asdrubel too. Sandy went right after strengthening up the middle. Of course there was the obligatory chorus of the clueless hating on it....but I digress

This guy has Walker batting 2nd, which I like. How soon before we can get Conforto and d'Arnaud into the middle of the lineup, and get Wright and Duda out of it? Say like Duda 6th and Wright 7th?

Edited by JohnJ

My guess is it will depend on who they're facing. Collins is such a day-to-day guy and switches it up. I personally do not think we'll see Walker batting second often because it's not Collins' style, as he seems to like a bigger bat in the 2-hole, which we saw when he batted Yo there a bunch last year. Have to see how that plays out first because there are so many factors; if Granderson can maintain his level of play from 2015, if Lagares can regain anything, if Duda can be more consistent at the plate, if d'Arnaud can avoid the freak injuries, and if Wright's back is good to go. He was also pretty adamant in the past about not moving Duda out of the cleanup spot, but with Conforto's power he's going to eventually have to start batting him somewhere 2-5. I personally think d'Arnaud is tailor-made to be batting 5th or 6th.

As for Wright, I don't know. It depends so much on his health and his bat, but as with Duda, Collins refused to bump him in the past. And even that aside, Wright is still the heart and soul of this team and he hit damn well in August and Sept, so he may very well surprise some people this year.

Don't forget Collins is still going to have to find games for Flores, Dilson, and even Tejada.

The nice thing about all of this is these are very good problems to have.

Yeah, I like the way Terry plays it. And you're right, it's a work in progress with so many options for Terry. It's gonna be great seeing how it all plays out.

He may wanna still ease in Conforto and d'A, and let them gain some momentum

Of course with the arms we've amassed, with reinforcements on the way, it's all good with the lineup. I'm just gonna enjoy watching Terry play with all the toys. 

• Upvote 2

https://www.sny.tv/mets/news/collins-weighs-in-on-potential-lineup-for-2016/163067790

Mets manager Terry Collins weighed in on his potential lineup for 2016, reeling off the following to Kevin Kernan of the New York Post:

1. Curtis Granderson RF
2. David Wright 3B
3. Yoenis Cespedes CF
4. Lucas Duda 1B
5. Neil Walker 2B
6. Michael Conforto LF
7.  Travis d'Arnaud C
8. Asdrubal Cabrera SS
9. Starting Pitcher P

Collins noted that the Mets have "some real pros and some real versatility," and added that Wilmer Flores will be used in a super utility role.

Two of the players in the potential lineup above weren't with the Mets in 2015. Neil Walker was acquired from the Pirates in exchange for Jon Niese, and Asdrubal Cabrera signed on for two years as a free agent. 

Nimmo's got a partially torn tendon in his foot. Dammit.

I was looking forward to seeing him. Hope it's not too bad :unsure:

36 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

He just oozes sex.

The boner I get when I see him. Unbelievable.

I don't know if anyone caught it last year. He did three things that made me come last year.

After Bowa got all bitch ass on Murphy for posing; forget exactly when, but Cespy hit a bomb, admired it and then tossed the bat towards the Filly dugout....beautiful..... Suck it Bowa!

He did the same to the Nats, who were the biggest front runner showboats in history. Again, forget exactly when. But if I remember correctly it was in response to them.

And, after he got hit on the hand and went inside, a brawl almost started and he came running out of the clubhouse ready to go.

Yeah, I gotta man crush on him. Even Thor tweeted that, lmao

He brings swagger like nobody else. A classic Latino baller.......Like DelGado..... and style like Beltran.

1 hour ago, GimmeShelter said:

:rolleyes:

Same bs argument from when the Coupons first crashed. Too bad he knows nothing about baseball, and the way things are now in MLB. Clueless. 

Anyone with a rudimentary understanding of the game knows they'ye in good shape and the moves were solid. Going back a good while now too.

doosh

4 hours ago, Bronx Jet01 said:

Lifelong Yankee fan who is rooting hard for the Mets this year. My mom , who is a diehard, has been pretty sick lately. This team is one of the few things that put a smile on her face. I hope the front office does the right thing, if this team needs a piece later on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They will if they have to. Just like they did last year, and like Sandy said they would.

He'll be patient tough and try to find the best fit he can. He won't react in a panic like some idiot fans whining and crying for the first bum that's available out there, clueless to the talent of the player, and the ramifications of the move.

I'm happy for your Mom, and you, enjoying the Metsies. It's been a great ride, and will continue to be. Go Mets! :D

Conforto!! off of Sherzer hahahah

15 hours ago, drdetroit said:

I told you guys Harvey needed to stay at the innings limit the dr prescribed last season.  Congrats you lost your ace

Good thing we have three others....with yet another getting ready to join them by the end of the summer.

Yeah, that's some sound thinking: fight all year and turn away at the eleventh hour. No competitor thinks that way.

Save your congrats. They're premature....like an ejaculation kinda.

The fact that all four 'Aces' hit like mf's too will pay dividends.

Good to see our D up the middle is so much better. If it weren't for Dominic Smith looming at 1st base in the minors I'd love to see Conforto work towards playing there. I'd like to see a guy that bats LH to play both corners added, and also get Wright to work towards 1st base, if any body.

Rene Rivera might just be the best defensive Catcher we have. I'm not down on d'Arnaud like many fans and am really hoping for him to get well.

But, if Plawecki keeps hovering around the Medoza Line I think his job may be at risk, and a viable LH hitting Catcher could be a really nice addition. Are we gonna live with two catchers hitting .200? If we were rock solid in the middle of the lineup I could. Even with Duda I want at least more consistency.

Even a guy like AJ  Pierzynski who could add some attitude and bat against RH pitching

The injuries to Flores, Duda, and d'Arnaud really shortened the bench. Thankfully Wilmer is due back soon and is probably a better defender than Murphy on the right side, or at least as good, at both 2nd and 1st, and can play SS and 3rd too. Duda is much better defensively than Murphy at 1B. 

Consider the signing of Ces, and that Duda is a proven power hitter that would get you 30 and 85, and that Dominic Smith, and Dilson Herrera are poised to play the right side down the road.  Throw in the draft picks picked up, that Sandy can get two, three players, for the price of Murphy down the road[or one that fits] and I'm one Mets fan that doesn't miss Murphy one bit.

Our middle D is much better with the addition of Walker, and Carbrera also mind you, and probably has won a few games already.

I'm not second guessing Murphy moving on ever. **** Murphy and the Nationals

• Upvote 2

Pick your poison. I'm thinking that Reynolds and Kelly are the odd men out. I was really hoping for a LH hitting guy that could play 3rd also to further the platooning options.

Campbell can play the outfield also and he runs well. I can live with him as the 25th guy. But it's tough when your Catchers are also batting below .200.

The bright side is you would think that Wilmer and Loney will hit over .200 as opposed to Reynolds/Kelly/Campbell :unsure:

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company