adb280z

2016 Mets Thread!

Well done Sandy, Fred & Jeff! I'm one of your loudest critics (hoping the Wilpons sell the team).... but for the next couple of months I'll give you a pass.

You did what was in the best interest of the team and your loyal fans. Met nation will reward you with fans in the seats!

Add to this the hightened energy in the club house. All the young players reading and hearing all that "$hit" being talked about. Now they know ownership has their backs and they have a top 10 lineup with a top 5 rotation. These boys will be fired up for camp!

Win/Win

Edited by 32EBoozer
  • Upvote 2

SA could conceivably win "Exec of the Year" 2 years in a row after this off-seasons performance!

What other GM upgraded their roster so much with so little being forked out?

• Upvote 1

I have to admit I'm worried about Travis. While at times he had big offensive surges he slumped a lot too. And he didn't throw out a runner for over a month. Not sure if he had some kind of injury. But you can't have a catcher who everyone runs on unless he's Mike Piazza and Travis isn't, We have a good young backup catcher who got a lot of playing time last year and could be a potential starting catcher. He should play a lot this coming year. If Travis doesn't come through with his throwing they might have to consider a position change. 

Met pitchers were terrible holding runners. They need to help TD out! He's got a below avg. arm, but with a little help from the pitchers, he could be avg. at throwing runners out.

So glad that we've gotten more value out of the Fulmer trade.

Yes we paid YC big money, but compared to seeing him walk after giving up a promising young pitcher in Fulmer for 8 weeks of YC would have been a tough pill to swallow.

Now we get to keep the guy we traded a potential #2 starter for.

That makes it easier to swallow.

Even better per Ken Rosenthal.

Cespedes eligible for qualifying offer if he opts out after one year. will get compensation pick if they make him QO and he departs.

What would the QO for a player who just made $27 mil?? Is it $15 mil like we offered Murphy?

Nice job by Sandy and a dumb move by YC agent. Who's going to pay a guy $20+ mil AND give up a 1st rd. pick?

On 4/13/2016 at 7:13 PM, RutgersJetFan said:

Alright, so some positives to take from the first 8 games:

- The Mets finished 12th in fielding last year. They have opened the season at top 5. There are two reasons for this, the infield and the catchers. Cabrera and Walker are such an upgrade, and both catchers look great defensively. d'Arnaud coming out of nowhere and picking runners off on consecutive days over the weekend was awesome to see. The Mets were one of the worst teams in the league at holding runners last year so even one step up from last season in that respect is a huge one.

- If a team is going to open up with some problems I'll take cold bats over pitching or defensive problems. Slumps come around, the latter two are much harder to fix.

- Wilmer looks like a disaster at third but holy crap did he look great at first today. It's a small sample size but it makes sense given how bad he's been at short in the past. The less he has to worry about dealing with right-handed hitters the better I guess. Learning a first baseman's footwork can be tough though, so we'll see how it goes.

- Middle relief has not been a disaster. Henderson got worked by Dee Gordon but everyone does. Robles and Blevins both look like legit major leaguers, the former especially looking improved from last year. And don't forget they're getting Montero for the road trip.

- Familia looks back to his old self. I was doubtful he'd ever regain his dominance after collapsing in the World Series last year. That's not easy to come back from at all mentally.

- Safe to say Noah Syndergaard is the most freakish under-25 pitcher this organization has had since Doc. And it's time to put the Dickey trade ranked third for best trades in the history of this org.

Great summation!

#LGM

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, jetrider said:

What is the explanation for this Bartolo card selling for $60± ea on ebay but Thor's card stays basically at face value?

When was the last time a pitcher hit two HRs and knocked in all his teams runs to win? 

Barts a borderline HoF pitcher.... Thor is in his 2nd year.

1st and most likely only HR for a 19 yr. vet. Thor will probably hit another dozen in his carrer.

Just spitballin' here.

Is Bart a "cult hero" persona??

7 minutes ago, Lith said:

Exactly the type of start we needed last night.  Dominant.

That Grandy leadoff HR put Sherzer back on his heals a bit. It made him 2nd guess his stuff last night.

Thor on the other hand realized he had all 4 pitches working.early and hitting triple digits 7x in the 1st inning realy had his juices running.

Need to take 1 of these last 2 to send a message in our house.

18 hours ago, no psls said:

How many of the next six games against the Nats do we win ? I believe two . It was too easy last year .

You're half-way to being wrong. Let's hope for the best!

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, deucebag said:

Any nj.com peeps indahouse?

I've been posting here and at the old NJ.com Mets board.... welcome.

4 hours ago, faba said:

Free-agent 3B Yulieski Gourriel will hold a workout with the Mets next week.

Pass..... give the kids a shot.

4 hours ago, adb280z said:

The Mets are a now team. If they can get him they absolutely should go for it.

What's the point of having a farm system then? Every time you have an injury you spend $50m on a 32 yr. old(?) player from Cuba.

Walker is a FA next yr( Qualifying offer 1st rd. pick) as we get ready for the Dilson Herreira era.

Cespedes may walk(Becerra '18)), Cabrera ( Rosario '18) 2017, Duda gone after 2017( Dom Smith), Wright most likely to retire (Checcini), Granderson (Nimmo) gone after 2017.

Let's get the kids some playing time and get ready for '17-'18 while we still have pitchers locked up.

This team not equipped to win now and this 32 yr. old Cuban is not the answer for the next 4-5 years.

1 hour ago, GimmeShelter said:
Some line-up changes today. 

LF
SS
CF
2B
1B
3B
RF
C
P

Wow!

Certainly not the Bronx Bombers.

No pitcher is trembling at the sight of that lineup.

19 hours ago, no psls said:

Packed house!

Do you remember the game? I assume it was during the pennant race collapse years. :- {

8 hours ago, adb280z said:

?  

No one trembles at the site of the Bronx Bombers now.

I think you missed my point.

Weak lineup..... we need to make some moves.

Hoping Leroy holds fast to his Cleveland "No Trade" clause. That would leave Mets.

As it stands now,  there is a deal in place with Cleveland. 

7 minutes ago, deucebag said:

I read that Sandy has been planning on Dick Scott being Terry Collins replacement for years now....consequently at about 6pm this evening Dick Scott will be named the next Mets manager.

At least Terry got that extra years salary to enjoy his retirement with.

Nice guy, poor manager.

19 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I still have to shell out a grand, and if they miss the postseason I won't get that back until November or December. Not a bad racket, hold on to a couple hundred thousand dollars to make some money off of for the Wilpon's next Madoff payment. Dicks.

Worth noting they have been sending these notices out (the price increase and playoff deposits) amidst this team collapsing and being completely unwatchable until about 2 days ago.

I think a million dollars is more like it. 

Collected interest on deposit pays for the fuel in Wilpons' jet

• Upvote 1

Kelly Johnson has been clutch down the stretch!!

Bases loaded 2B to put Mets up by 3 in the bottom of the 8th.

M-O-M-E-N-T-U-M!

8 hours ago, Lith said:

Nice to see you around more often Lith.

Having the Mets and Jets respectable again is fun.

Is Salas a bull pen arm or starter. Unfamiliar to me 

28 minutes ago, Lith said:

Thanks, Booz.

I have been over in this thread a lot over the last few months.  Just got bored with all the offseason talk around Geno v Fitz, then Geno v Petty, so I sat out most of those discussions.  Now that the season is about to get started, I will probably be more active over here.

Got any roadtrips planned this season?

Pitt and Cleveland are reasonable trips for me. Might try and hit both.

How about you? KC? Az?

Colon vs. Reds Rookie today.

The Reds have really helped the Mets by sweeping a 4 game set from Miami and taking 2/3 vs. Cards

Maybe they can help us more by laying eggs over the next few days

2 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Cecchini getting the call-up tomorrow. Wow. That's awesome. Go kid.

Looking forward to seeing the kids crank up the energy level all around. 

Dog days of summer are tough on vets.... having the young guys up really can add a spark!

Don't want them messing with Flores right now.... looks to be getting in a groove.

Keep the at-bats coming for him

Maybe Cecchini can give Cabrera a rest for his thigh, but his throwing accuracy scares me.

• Upvote 1

Matt Reynolds.... Mr Spark-plug!

HR.... 1-0 Mets

17 minutes ago, Lith said:

Red eye out of Vegas and into the lineup and the kid comes through in his first at bat.  Wilmer, on the other hand, is running the bases like he is jet lagged. 

I'm sure that flight out of NY into Cincy didn't arrive until clost to 1am then getting settled in the hotel.

Like you said MLB screwed the pooch w/the 1pm start

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Lith said:

Red eye out of Vegas and into the lineup and the kid comes through in his first at bat.  Wilmer, on the other hand, is running the bases like he is jet lagged. 

I'm sure that flight out of NY into Cincy didn't arrive until clost to 1am then getting settled in the hotel.

Like you said MLB screwed the pooch w/the 1pm start

Johnson continues to be clutch!

2-0 Mets

• Upvote 1

Bart 70 pitches thru 5 innings.

14 pitches per inning average!

I wish Thor, Degrom and Matz would take a few lessons from this guy.

• Upvote 1

Reynolds again with the big RBI.... 3-0 Mets

Cabrera follows w/ another single 4-0 Mets.

Love seeing these other guys stepping up 

When everybody is pitching in, that makes for a happy dugout!

• Upvote 1

So Robles comes in throwing 98/99 MPH and players are fouling him off several times an at-bat

If Wharthon could teach him how to get some late movement on that heat (like Mariano Rivera) this kid would be a Familia clone.

Young man has a Major League arm.... if only someone could teach him to pitch.

5-0 Mets top 8th

21 minutes ago, Lith said:

Final score Padres 7 Giants 2.

I know how you feel.  I been at this a bit more than your 35 years.  And other than 1973, I can't remember a time when the Mets won a tight race.  Maybe 1999, when they tied with Cincy and won the play in game.  Other than that, we have always been left on the outside looking in when we are in a tight race.  I love the fight this team shows and I am cautiously optimistic that they get it done this year.  Getting it done being playoff appearance.  Anything beyond that would be shocking with the roster in the shape it is in. 

Approaching the last week of the season still in the hunt with a rotation that includes Seth Lugo, Robert Gsellman, Gabrile Ynoa and now Sean Gilmartin tonight.  And we are 12-5 in games started by these guys.  Huge win last night, especially considering that we were able to rest Reed, Salas, Blevins and Familia.  Great outing by Robles allowed those guys a much needed night off.

Was looking at the Mets pitching stats.... 3rd in team ERA, top 5 in Quality Starts and Top 10 in WHIP and BAA

I could not believe how well the Pitching staff has been doing despite 3/5 of our SP have been injured through most of the season.

Add to that out bottom 25% in most batting categories and I'm amazed by the fight this team has showed to get 85+ wins this season. Hope it will be enough!

Looks like Terry gets that last yr. on his deal.

1 hour ago, Rangers9 said:

Looks like they've really turned the page on Jay Bruce. Terry did say he won't play people who don't hit. Even when they use him as a pinch hitter it ends up with a K. We all knew he was a streak hitter but he's basically no longer relevant as far as this season unless something drastically happens in a week. So right now if the Mets make it I doubt he's on the post season roster. And if he isn't, not back with the Mets next year. They have an option to sign him for 2017 at 13 mil which is not a lot of money for a power hitter. http://www.spotrac.com/mlb/new-york-mets/jay-bruce-5219/ I guess they can decline or trade him to another team. There could be some interest. btw as for Dilson Herrera. He hit .266 at Louisville for the Reds in  24 games (2 hrs and 9 rbis). And before the trade he hit ten points higher in LV for the Mets (13 hrs and 55 rbis in 86 games). He was not called up by Cincy in Sept. http://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.cgi?id=herrer000dil

Is he trying o get dumped by the Mets? I would hope not, but if he hates it here that much...? Maybe.

As our team stands now, we have to play the guys who are stroking it. If we get through to Chicago we need Bruce to step up.

It will be tough getting by the Cubs without somebody protecting Cespedes. Cubs will be putting 6 runs a game on the board... we need 7!!

35 minutes ago, GimmeShelter said:

If we face a lefty, which is very possible in the WC game, then yes, he could be left off the roster for that game but I can't see them not having him on it for a full series. 

Power hitters are streaky. Juston Upton was written off as a bust signing for Detroit until the middle of August when he basically started homering 2-3 times a week. We need Bruce to hit one of those streaks. 

Agreed. I understand having him sit until we get the WC locked up. Once that's accomplished you have to get him AB to get the mojo going.

Once we get into a 5 or 7 game series, we're going to need him BIG time.

• Upvote 1

We'll be tied with SF and 1/2 game up on Cards.

Phillies and Braves are getting these young guys a lot of playing.... they'll be tough for the next sveral years.

Add to that a Cubs team that shouldbe dominant for the next 5 yrs. and an LA team with Seager and some other young guys to go with Kershaw.

Better start nailing some drafts Sandy!!!

2 hours ago, Lith said:

As tough as it was to lose a big game last night, last week of the season, tight pennant race.  Watching the game, and the way it started, you couldn't help but smile and recognize that the Marlins players and fans needed this one more than us.  I did not expect a close game last night, just didn't know which way it would go.  Once Dee hit the leadoff HR, you just knew that the Marlins would not lose that game.  Congrats to them on an emotional win and appropriate tribute to a fallen teammate.  RIP.

That said, time to get back at it tonight and finish the run they started over the course of these last 6 weeks.

Was commenting in the Fernandez thread that it looked as if Bart "grooved" on belt high and inside.... basically a BP pitch.

I'm OK with that because it was like cracking a $500 bottle of champagne at a boat launch... it was a classy gesture!

What followed afterwards stunk to high heaven... and was not ok with that!

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company