adb280z

2016 Mets Thread!

Nice to see matz with a couple of really nice start after the stinker he threw out there in his first go.  Curious to see what DeGrom has today.  Pitching rounding into shape, bats are getting going.  9-7 after a slow start.  Just might have to count on the Mets to beat the Nats themselves, because no one else seems to be able to do it.

This is why I hate West Coast trips.  You miss stuff like this.  Twice.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, SenorGato said:

It's fun to point out that Syndergaard and Colon both have hit more HRs than Jason Heyward this year. 

Thor would also be 2nd on the Braves team in HRs on the season. 

9 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

THOOOOORRRR

Exactly the type of start we needed last night.  Dominant.

2 hours ago, faba said:

The Mets have to get better with building runs though- that has been the Yankees downfall in the playoffs can not depend on homeruns with the good pitchers you see at playoff time

Its bound to get better.  This is not a team built to play small ball, but same way the home run pace is likely to drop, the batting average with RISP (.165 with 2 outs and .208 overall - both last in MLB) is bound to increase.  

At least that is what I keep telling myself.

• Upvote 1

Recipe for a loss:  11 walks.  2 HBP.  1 for 5 with RISP, and the 1 does not produce a run.  Rough night.

Any chance Harvey will be good Harvey tonight.  This would be the perfect spot for him to get his act together -- for more than 4 innings.

Wow.  Harvey goes out and looks like garbage and we get knocked around by the Nats and we get a couple dozen posts.  Next night, Matz takes the hill after missing a start and is lights out.  Conforto adds the 2-run dinger, bullpen adds 2 dominant innings and nothing.  Not a single post.

Happy with the win (always happy with a win), but still not happy about an offense that doesn't score without the long ball.  Until the kid's HR, we were making Peralta and his 7 ERA look like a Cy Young candidate.

11 hours ago, Jolot said:

As an older shcool guy I can't believe I'm saying this cuz I always thought the 100 pitch and innings limit stuff was nonsense , but it's real , for whatever reason , times have changed , it's real. Matz and Noah have been by far and away our best starters so far this year while Harvey and Degrom don't look the same , velocity down etc etc....hopefully as the season goes on the arms round into shape but I don't think it's a coincidence at this point .

I am also an old school guy -- or maybe just an old guy.  But I wonder if part of the issue is the way these guys are treated while coming up.  With all of the innings limits in the minor leagues maybe guys are just not building the strength in their arms that the pitchers of the 60s and 70s built up.  If a guy could start 40 games and go 300 innings back then, why can't they go 30 and 200 today.  Or maybe guys are just throwing a lot harder today and it takes a greater toll on their arms.  

Full lineup today. Man, been a while.

Nope. Campbell in for Duda.

2 hours ago, SenorGato said:

What's up with Dilson Herrera? I've always liked him. Blocked by Walker - prospective starter in 2017?

Sounds like Duda may be down a while with the back injury.  Any chance Walker could play first base and they give Herrera a shot now?":

Sounds like we may be looking at some external options to replace Duda.

40 minutes ago, faba said:

Henderson and Reed have been very good leading up to Familia.

Yup.  Henderson looking like a really good, under the radar signing.    Much rather see him go out there than Tyler Clippard.

Cabrera commented after the game that he should be good for tomorrow night -- no confirmation from the team, though.  And with Flores coming back, we should be better off than we were the past few days.  Although I do agree that we could use another utility infielder, especially with Duda going down.  Another deal with Atlanta for Kelly Johnson, perhaps?

1 hour ago, Larz said:

bad news mets fans.

I am a sports jinx.  the only two teams I care about are the jets and knicks, the only NYC area teams not to win a championship since I started following sports in 1981 (nets don't count, lol)

I also became huge fan of akeem in 1982, I lived and died with every game in the tourney, and then he loses back to back title games

I have no baseball team.  I got game 7 world series tickets through work in 2002 after game 1 of the Angels series.  I called my buddy and yelled into the phone "the yankeeeess wiiiiin" of course the angles won 3 in a row and eliminated the yankees

so a guy at work has been telling me I have to check out thor.  I must admit I have a bit of a crush and plan on watching his start saturday.  I really don't want to be a jets/mets fan, but this thor guy is so good !

Thanks a lot.  See what you almost did to us tonight -- blowing the 4 run lead in the 9th.  On the other had, we moved into first place after the Grandy homer, so maybe you can stick around a while.

2 hours ago, BowlesMovement said:

That was a brutal 9th inning. On the plus side, deGrom looked almost like his old self, which would be HUGE! The Granderson HR was awesome!! I thought for sure they were losing that game last night.

Yup.  7 IP, 3 H, 1 ER for deGrom and he gets no decision.  Familia goes 1 IP, 4H, 4 ER and gets teh W thanks to Grandy.  But that's baseball, and that's what good teams do, when one guy doesn't get it done, someone picks him up.

Really encouraged by deGrom's start last night.  After working out of the bases loaded no outs spot in the 3rd with just the one run, he was lights out the rest of the way.

49 minutes ago, faba said:

Yeah sorry about that- I know the feeling me and my friend shelled out big money to see Tom Glavine melt down last game of the season in the first inning that mets needed to win some 6 or 7 years ago- memory is fuzzy 

10 hours ago, JiF said:

Couldn't have picked a worse game to attend.  And I spent good money to watch Thor.

Turned out to be a pretty awful night last night for the 86 celebration.

For me, it was the 86 World Series, Game 2 at Shea.  Gooden v Clemens.  Gooden gives up 6 runs in 5 innings and we go on to lose 9-3.  You wait all your life to hope for a chance to be in the stadium to see your team in the Series, and that was what I had to sit through.

Making it even worse, my wife (who I did not know at the time) who is not even a baseball fan, goes with her dad to one game in the series and she gets to game 6.  How is that fair???

6 hours ago, no psls said:

It's Happy Harvey Day !! It's Happy Harvey Day !! But , what if the Chi Sox knock him around again ...

images (2).jpg

images (3).jpg

images (4).jpg

images.jpg

images (1).jpg

Nothing to worry about today.  And the clean inning from Familia was the icing on the cake.  

8 minutes ago, faba said:
Duda, Wright and now Lagares all on disabled list- yikes

I heard that Lagares was going to try to play through it. I didnt think he is going on the DL. At least not yet. Good to see Ces back in the lineup today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, faba said:

No I just saw going on DL

Maybe you are right, but everything I have seen says no DL.  This was from about 10 minutes ago.

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

From a guy that's probably never spent more than a few hours (if that) in the sweltering bro sh*thole that is Wrigleyville. They're Philly fans in disguise. Worst of the worst was watching a mother with her daughters get beer poured on them during the NLCS last year while surrounding people did nothing. That's not even counting the amount of times you have to deal with Kyle and Todd from Naperville getting beer muscles after a few Old Styles.

The nice thing about rocking Mets gear in this town is getting high fives from half its residents walking around because it's pretty common knowledge that lovable losers they are not. This is the fanbase that surrounded a guy's home and threatened his life because he interfered with a foul ball. They deserve everything they have had happen to them. And if they ever do win anything, I take solace in knowing that half the town won't give a ****.

Sounds like you are in the Chicago area.  You ever get over to Racine Plumbing in Lincoln Park with the other Chicago Met fans to watch the games?

26 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

It's funny, the rare times I get the urge to check that place out, they have something else going on like a Notre Dame game or something. 

I'm not much of a bar guy for baseball anyways. For me baseball is meant to be watched on my porch while I'm yelling at my dog to stop barking at squirrels. Plus I have season tickets back in Flushing so if I am going to stray from the house for games it's usually for a visit back east.

I started going there during the postseason last year and have been to a couple of the game watches they have hosted for us this season.  We have a group of 50+ heading to Wrigley next month -- its a good group.  If you get a chance, check it out sometime.  Lot of Met fans in the Chicago area,

I am heading up to Milwaukee for the game tonight and then a bunch of us are heading up with the 7 Line Army on Saturday.  If you watch the game tonight, I will be the guy in the Mets cap sitting in the front row behind the plate.

Lets Go Mets!!!

1 hour ago, faba said:

well stats in thiscase do not lie Mets worse hitting team with runners in scoring position

Not only are we the worst team in the league this year with runners in scoring position, but we are approaching the worst team in the past 50 years.  At .202 on the season.  The last team to hit lower than that for a full season was the 1969 expansion San Diego Padres who hit .201.  That is how far this team has sunk.  A championship team, expected to compete for another championship is being compared with a 110 loss expansion team.  2 outs and runners in scoring position is even worse at .164.  You cannot score consistently with that level of clutch hitting.  The Pirates and Dbacks pitching staffs are both hitting better than .164.  

Since May 1, we are 38-42, and showing no signs of life.  This weekend is supposed to be a celebration of one of the great players in our franchise history, and instead it may be the weekend when they fade out of the race.  I want to believe they can still turn it around.  Only 2.5 games back in the WC race, so they can still do something, but hope is fading fast.

Haven't posted in this thread for a while, but I needed to vent a bit.  End of rant.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, RutgersJetFan said:

This is where I'm at too. Stand firm and see what happens, if it's not our year than it's not our year. 

Yup.  Can't argue with that.  The guys on the roster are gonna have to figure it out.  Don't want to see a deal for Jay Bruce either.  

Sounds like something is going down involving a guy in AAA.

Just now, chirorob said:

How long is Bruce signed for?

Team option for 2017 at $13 million.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

ARE YOU ******* KIDDING ME

I am seeing reports that its Dilson & Nimmo plus a 3rd prospect.  Just have to wait until the dust clears and see what it is.

Edit: Looks like Nimmo is staying.  Sorry for jumping the gun on this one.

5 minutes ago, GimmeShelter said:

I hope the dust looks a little better after it settles.....this is a far cry from Nimmo and two lower level prospects.

I hope you are right -- seems to be a lot of uncertainty about what the package is.  

Not a big fan of Bruce,-- another left handed hitting corner outfielder -- especially at the cost of Herrera  .  He is having a solid year, but the guy was a .220 hitter in 2014 & 15. Hopefully he can give us the kind of production over the next year and a half that he has given the Reds this season.

The reality is that this has been a below average team for 3 months now.  We were 15-7 at the end of April; we are 54-51 now.  We are 5 games under .500 for the last 3 months.  Just not a very good baseball team.  Last night was just another example of bad baseball.  6 walks, an error, a wild pitch, stolen base ny the opposing catcher, 1 for 7 with RISP.  Never take an extra base while giving up bases all night.  When is the last time a Met player had an at bat like Gregorius had in the 8th inning.  He must have fouled off 3 or 4 tough pitches to keep the at bat alive, while our guys wave at 3rd strikes or we swing at the first pitch and hit weak pop ups or ground outs.

I keep saying there is still time, and there is, but the quality of the baseball being played has to improve significantly.  Maybe Bruce's presence in the lineup will make a difference, but it is hard to be optimistic right now.  When you go 3 months without playing good baseball, injuries may be part of the reason, but maybe it also means you are just not a very good baseball team.;

• Upvote 1

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company