adb280z

2016 Mets Thread!

The Mets have agreed to terms with free-agent LH reliever Antonio Bastardo, according to Jon Heyman (Jan. 20).

The deal will be for $12 million over two years, according to Jesse Sanchez of MLB.com (Jan. 20).

Bastardo, 30, posted a 2.98 ERA and 1.13 WHIP last season for the Pirates while striking out 64 batters in 57 1/3 innings. He had reportedly been seeking a three-year deal. 

Bastardo has been effective against both left-handers and right-handers during his seven-year career, with lefties hitting .178 with a .277 OBP and .319 SLG against him and righties hitting .211 with a .308 OBP and .332 SLG.

Along with the Mets, the Dodgers, Orioles, and Blue Jays had also been linked to Bastardo.

Very excited about this move. Bullpen worries me more than the offense does at this point.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Havent been able to watch a single pitch yet.  Looking forward to getting to watch a little of the new look with a professional infield.  That should be fun!

Early season jitters.  They'll work through it.  I'm sure the expectations and weird start to the season plays a factor.  Putting more stress on yourself than necessary. 

I saw some stat lines, it looks like Conforto is batting well, Grandy getting off to a terrible start and Duda is still lost somewhere in Manhattan? 

Im jealous! Wish I hadn't!

That said, its way too early for the typical NY fan overreaction that is happening now.

17 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Conforto batting 3rd with Yo at cleanup. Love it.

I'd like to see that every day. I think we have seen enough to say this is how the lineup needs to be structured.

Just now, RutgersJetFan said:

Agreed. He's clearly ready to make the jump and he'll see more pitches hitting in front of Yo. Duda needs to not be batting cleanup anyways.

Agree, Duda would be much better in the 5 spot, I could even argue having him at 6.

1 minute ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I'd like to see him slide Walker up to 5 for the time being. His bat warrants it. If Duda comes around change it up again but enough is enough. Truth be told I've kinda had it with Duda's streakiness and one-dimensional crap. 7 years in the majors and you still can't hit to the opposite field? Love the guy, he's a good locker room presence and when his bat his hot the offense feeds off it, but when his cold streaks hit they last for so long and kill everything. You can't have someone this streaky that can't beat that extreme of a shift hitting in the heart of the order. At least for these cold streaks, drop him down. With Yo and Wright getting on base at high rates his inability to drive anyone in is a big reason why the offense was struggling so much. Even last night with the bats waking up he still couldn't drive anyone in. 3 RBI's through 9 games for your 4th or 5th hitter. No offense can sustain that.

Completely agree

5 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I'm not sure the force out would have even been an option anywhere because of the angle that Wright fielded that ball at, but why the **** didn't we walk that dude?

Maddening

19 hours ago, JiF said:

I stayed up to watch that...and yes, they should have walked that dude...but how many stranded base runners did the Mets squander last night?

I mean, they smashed a couple more...but they've got find a way to drive in runs outside of hitting bombs. 

I agree, but for better or for worse, that is how this team is really built. And there are a lot of extreme streak hitters on this team to boot.

6 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

That was an awesome game. Using Duda as a decoy lol, don't think I've ever seen something like that before.

I thought for sure we were losing that game, most of the bats were lifeless, couple of big bats out, due for a cold night, that was a fun win! Familia looked about the best he has all year too last night, which was nice to see.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JiF said:

I'm physically attracted to him and his swing makes me randy. 

Conforto is what Jeffries was supposed to be..... Damn, I feel old saying that.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Say what you may about Terry Collins but the man has a sense of humor. Tolo is listed as eligible as a pinch hitter today.

That is so fn badass!

33 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

The thing about Matt Harvey is: we all can see that so far he is not an elite pitcher this season. Do you think (and this is a question not a statment) that Boras was right last Oct. and we should have either shut him down or limited his innings a lot more than we did. In other words during the regular season they should have kept him to a strict inning count and skipped starts going into the playoffs. It's easy to say now because the Mets actually didn't know at the time they would go so deep into the post season. And hard to shut a guy down when you're in the WS. LIke a lot of you I'm not a fan of Boras but was he right?

I think Harvey needs to back off his social schedule a bit and focus more on his overall fitness level. I think he relied on his genetics, and he needs to take his craft more seriously at this point at all levels.

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I might have been seeing things last night but to me he looked like he dropped some weight. When the season started he looked a little husky to me. Might have just been the uniform, I dunno.

Also this is going to sound corny AF but I really just think it's mental with him. You see the look on his face this year and the intensity just isn't there. When he gave up the lead in the 5th I swear his eyes welled up a little bit. The look on his face was just pure frustration. Never used to see that with him.

Also him getting scored for earned runs on those first two last night was complete horsesh*t. That was an error by Conforto no doubt.

Agree, Conforto really screwed the pooch on that one. It's still early, hopefully he gets straight.

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

HOW WAS THAT RUNNING OUT OF THE BASELINE

About the same flng way it was a foul tip last night, such fng BS

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Does Thor love going after Harper or what? Every time those guys face off it's intense.

Its about as exciting as regular season baseball can get.

14 minutes ago, JiF said:

Does anyone know how many runs the Mets have scored off HomeRuns this season?

I swear they only score when they hit HomeRuns. 

Its pretty staggering, IIRC they are/were 1st overall in HR's and 10th overall in scoring. I know this is where MLB seems to be heading, but this is highly concerning for a playoff run. To expect to only score via HR's in 3 post season rounds is going to be extremely difficult.

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

It worked for 2 postseason rounds last year!  See: Murphy, Daniel. 

It did, and I hope it can work again, but at some point you need to deliver base hits with a runner in scoring position and 2 outs. Banking on another Murphy type performance is highly risky, that was a historically good 2 playoff series, that can be put up with the best playoff series of all time.

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

I do think the contact hitting will get better though.  Cabrera and Walker are strong candidates to help us there.  And I wouldn't rule out a small trade at some point like the one we made for Uribe and Johnson last season.

Agree

15 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Completely one-dimensional team. .200 with RISP is not going to win you a World Series. The Mets honestly need a few more players and preferably infielders. I don't know why the hell we didn't bring back Uribe. This squad is in desperate need of guys like that.

We should start playing Lagares more. If he can just get his bat going even a little bit he becomes a decent trade chip if the Mets are willing to take on some of his salary.

I just keep trying to tell myself, the goal is to be .500 at the break. That's the goal for every team through the summer. A baseball season is such a grind, .500 at the AS break puts you in a position to make a playoff run. The Mets are right there. But this extremelyhot/extremely cold sh*t isn't going to cut it if we get there.

Letting go Ted Williams, I mean Daniel Murphy, is hurting bad right now. The guy is such a tough out, and that is sorely missing from this lineup.

Harvey is lost, DeGrom has not been his dominant self, although still very good, and Matz hurt. Familia has not looked nearly as dominating as last year, Wright looks awful, Duda looks awful, and the rest of the team is just so damn streaky, and last night the defense was bad, but probably did not matter.

Your right about the .500, and if you would have told me in the middle of last year we were going to the WS, I never would have believed it, but this team has a lot of work to do to even play with the Nationals at this point, let alone the Cubs.

• Upvote 1

good win, BUT, if this team is going anywhere this year Harvey and deGrom both need to step it up. Harvey has been bad, but deGrom has been very mediocre so far this year.

8 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I was really thinking we'd get a bounceback performance out of him last night.  Sucks. 

I had that feeling too, but he is just flat out awful right now. 

58 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

3...2...1....until Gato comes in talking about how Mets fans expect mediocrity because we didn't throw enough support behind signing Ces, Murphy, and Zobrist.

We can support it all we want, it wasnt happening.

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company