adb280z

2016 Mets Thread!

The problem obviously being that they don't have an endless supply of Fullmer-like prospects sitting in the minors, ready to be traded for the next Cespedes.  Regardless, the folly of  expecting to hit the jackpot and get similar results to what Cespedes did last year (rivaling Manny Ramirez's LA run as best performance by a trade-deadline addition) would fit this team's MO.

Cespedes is still a free agent last I checked.  Where's all the teams scrambling for him to lead them to a title?  And Justin Upton, Dexter Fowler and Gerardo Parra for that matter? 

It's not a folly to anticipate that we might move a pitcher for a top hitter at the trade deadline.  We have the best overall starting pitching in baseball, and that never goes out of style.  Making a deal for someone like a Joey Votto or a quality CF is not only possible, it seems likely.  Given that we will one day need to part ways with at least 2 of these arms down the road anyways due to cost (and that would be the case even if our payroll ceiling was more like $175M), it makes sense to move an arm at peak value.

I get that we should be pissed about how the Wilpons are capping our spending.  But I don't see any of our complaints leading to anything.  So it's kind of a waste of time.  Alderson has earned the benefit of the doubt and has done a lot with limited payroll.  There's little reason to think he cannot continue to do that, and that the Mets will be unable to win a title until the debt is paid off in 2045.  That kind of mentality just isn't one that makes sense to me coming off a pennant-winning season we never thought possible as recently as July 2015.

As fans we can complain. What are we supposed to do be quiet about it.

You can do what you want, I just see it as a waste of air in this instance.  If the team starts out 2016 like they did in 2015, sure, that will be very valid.  But right now I don't see too many reasons to complain until there's a legitimate reason to do so.

As for Cespy Sandy has already stated he won't re-sign him

To a long-term deal, no.  You are correct that he is unwilling to do that.  And there appear to be 0 other teams out there in a rush to give him one either.  Sandy has stated he'd be willing to bring him back on a 1-year deal.  The longer this offseason goes, the greater the odds that that could actually happen.

People also said that about Murphy and he signed with our biggest competitor.

And they will fairly quickly find that this will be a mistake in Washington.  He's a defensive liability more suited for the American League, and will never again hit like he did in the 2015 postseason.  It handed us an extra 1st rounder as well, for which I am thankful. 

While I expect a bounceback year for them to some degree, I see little reason to fear the Nationals, and especially not because of Daniel Murphy.  They're doing a great job wasting the talent they have, and I have little doubt they haven't been learning many lessons as an organization.

We know Wilpon sucks.  No one disputes this.  Sorry I don't have the list of teams who are going to be bad enough to be in position to trade away a quality CF right now.  After all, its January. 

I threw Votto out there because I think he's got a couple years left as an effective guy in the middle of the lineup (similar to a Paul Konerko ) and I feel like dealing Duda and an arm to upgrade at 1B and/or CF is a possibility.  But far too many things have yet to happen for me to have an idea of what we'll do at the trade deadline.  I just think its silly to say a deal won't happen because you think it can't possibly happen 2 years in a row.  Of course it can.  Because we have the arms to make it happen basically any time we feel like it and enough arms to unload.  Pretty much no other team in the majors is in that position.

Come on now. Wash needed a left handed bat in their lineup and they just got one of the best in the NL. It was a good signing for them. His errors not withstanding I still say he is ok defensively despite the obvious guffaws that drew fans attention. Overall he can play a fair second base and is better at 3rd and at 1st. 

Your underestimation of how bad Murphy is in the field is simply baffling.  There's both qualitative (error in the World Series) and quantitative (posted by me in the other thread) evidence that he's the game's worst starting defensive 2B right now.  Just saying you think he's "OK" defensively doesn't make it true.  He literally costs his teams games with his defense.  That's a problem, and one I'm glad is Washington's problem and not ours. 

Actual question here: Is there a threshold date with RFAs and draft picks? Meaning if we pick up Fowler in March or something. 

it's after the draft in June. Kendrys Morales was signed in June 2014 by the twins after getting tagged in the offseason.

• Upvote 1

Look, Grandy had a good year in 2015. His performance was better than his stats were. But no guarantee that he will duplicate this although I think he will. Because previous to 2015, based on his 2014 production, he was not a good signing for the Mets. Maybe with Kevin Long he was improved. Let's hope so. I like the guy personally and hope he does well. Can't say the same for all pro athletes including guys on teams I root for. Some of these guys are just jerkoffs but Grandy is a cool guy. 

it's almost as if you should wait to judge offseason acquisitions until they've actually played for a bit in a Mets uniform, and not declare an offseason was a failure in, say, January. 

Weird notion, right?

I would contend that the speed in which I can search readily-available statistics is as least two standard deviations above the norm.

F*ckin nerds.

These first 2 pages of the 2016 thread are pathetic.  B*tching about a team that won a pennant about 85 days ago and infighting about it.  We're doing adb a disservice right now. 

Metsmerized - Proceed with caution as I have not been able to confirm this with another media outlet, but according to Rich Mancuso of NY Sports Day, formerly of the Daily News and WFAN, multiple sources have told him that not only are the Mets engaged in negotiations with Yoenis Cespedes, but the two sides may be closing in on a one or two year deal. “A source at Roc Nation, agents for Cespedes, and involved in their pro boxing division, was able to confirm that negotiations reopened late Wednesday with Cespedes and the Mets organization. And two other sources with knowledge have been able to confirm that Cespedes and the Mets are meeting with a one or two year deal on the table that is agreeable for both sides.” “The source said, “Yoenis loves New York and it has always been his thinking to work a deal there.” What was once a multi -year deal, and one that the Mets would not consider because of their payroll restrictions, is now a thing of the past.” Finally, Mancuso cites a fourth source – a high ranking baseball official – who says “the Mets may be close to re-signing Cespedes to a one or two-year deal.” The Atlanta Braves have also joined in the hunt for Cespedes along with the Detroit Tigers, Baltimore Orioles, and the Chicago White Sox. Again, no other media source has confirmed this so thread carefully. But Mancuso is a well respected veteran journalist.

It's almost as if people shouldn't have kneejerk reactions about a team's offseason until the offseason is actually over.  So weird.

• Upvote 1

Adam Rubin ESPN Staff Writer 

The Mets' likelihood of signing Yoenis Cespedes is not zero but not likely.

Even if we don't bring back Cespedes, the good news to take from this is there's still money available to grab a CF.  It's just a matter of which one of them succumbs to the lack of market interest and settles for a 2-3 year deal. 

Nats wanted Upton bad. Watch them overpay for Yo now. Don't do it Yo.

Oh man.  The reaction that would get on this board and in NYC would be priceless. 

Olney: Mets facing pressure on Cespedes

Although its apparent that New York is comfortable with Yoenis Cespedes signing elsewhere, the pressure the team is getting from fans to re-sign him is "intensifying," Buster Olney writes

Please don't sign Cespedes to a 5-year deal because of the f*cking fans.  Please.

It appears that with no team willing to offer Yoenis Cespedes a long-term deal, the Mets and White Sox  now have some added competition as a few new teams are jumping into the fray.

Ken Rosenthal of Fox Sports is reporting that the Washington Nationals are now showing interest in Cespedes after losing out on Justin Upton. Like the Mets and White Sox, they will consider him on a short-term deal of three years or less...The New York Mets got a lot of flak early in November, when they took a three-year or nothing posture with Yoenis Cespedes. And at the time I wrote that maybe the Mets were actually ahead of the curve and being the adults in the room.

Since then, we’ve seen a lot of teams with reported interest come and go, with almost all of them balking at a long-term deal for the Cuban slugger.

Weird.  It's almost like everyone complaining about us not bringing back Ces yet simply needed to be a little patient. 

If no one else is willing to give him more than 3 years, we're the favorites to bring him back.  It's pretty simple.

I'm just hoping that going into 2016 our entire roster is MLB not Pacific Coast League. 

Entire roster?  I don't think any of the 30 teams out there have a roster stocked with pure MLB talent.  Maybe the Cubs?

Our roster on opening day 2016 is pretty significantly better and more competitive than it was on opening day 2015, whether Cespedes is here or not.

Before Cespy last year we were last or next to last in offense  the NL in offense last season. After him at the top of the league. We also lost Murphy. And Niese who pitched well last season. I hope they have a few more signings even if not Cespy to improve the roster and not rely on guys like Campbell. Right now the Mets are not significantly better. 

Conforto, Neil Walker, and Asdrubal Cabrera represent upgrades at 3 starting positions from where we were on opening day 2015.  Most importantly, our depth at 2B, SS, 3B and OF are also significantly better as a result.  We won't need to call up the Eric Campbell's of the world if we suffer some injuries like we did last year.  So yes, we are significantly better, right now.

Anyone who thinks we signed a relief pitcher in order to soften the blow if we fail to bring back Cespedes is a real Bastardo.

• Upvote 1

Now think about how much time some of you just wasted over the last few weeks about this sh*t. 

lol. So great.

...and no sign of Rangers9:P.

Just maybe the FO knew what they were doing all along.

Best pitching staff in baseball and a pennant? Nah. Clueless front office. And don't expect the Wilpons to ever shell out coin for a power bat either.

Soooo many people who were wrong, so little time.

• Upvote 2

So our 2016 roster compared to our opening day 2015 roster is just stunning in the differences.

Cespedes, Conforto and Da Aza in the OF, with Nimmo coming in a few months. Upgraded middle infield in defense, contact hitting and depth, with Herrera coming in a few months. Matz in the rotation, with Wheeler coming in a couple months. Strengthened bullpen. We also will have 2 first round picks in June, thanks to the stupid Nationals (who Bastardo OWNS, by the way).

Sandy is the man.

Mets ownership just put the Mets in a good position to compete this season, There will be 4 good outfielders playing 3 positions and when you're playing 162 they all will get on the field substantially.  It also helps the other players like Wright having a guy like him in the lineup that other teams might sometimes try to pitch around. They will all get more good pitches to hit like they did last summer. Whatever the reason they pulled the trigger on this deal, I give them credit for making this happen. I think not out of the kindness of their hearts but due to pressure from the fans and media. Similar to last summer when it was obvious that the pitching wasn't enough for them to make the playoffs And similar imo to Woody signing Revis. As for the 27.5 for one season if he opts out I guess that was something Yo's agent worked into the deal. The Mets did not match the Wash 100 mil deal (5 years) which on a per season basis is more economical. They were looking for total financial obligation: they'd rather pay him 75 for 3 years in his prime and forgo the last 2 years at a bargain rate. So at most they pay him 27.5 or 75. He probably only accepted the Mets offer because they overpaid for the years on his deal. 

Yep. I'm very glad they didn't cave into giving him 5-6 years. This works out great. They found a compromise that works for the team, Ces, and the fans. Hard to find any fault with that.

So if Ces walks after 1 year, we'll end up with back to back years of 2 first round picks each year (we got a 1st rounder after losing Murphy).

Ces sticks around, he's ours for another 2 years.

Win-Win. Sandy is awesome.

• Upvote 2

If he goes into a deep black hole again he has to be replaced. 

Your entire posting history has been a deep black hole.  We'd like you replaced. 

Interesting.  I would have thought d'Arnaud in the 5 and Walker in the 7.  I think I prefer Walker higher in the lineup for his solid contact hitting.  He could end up an RBI machine in that 5 slot. 

Obviously a lineup TC rattles off before pitchers & catchers report needs to be taken with a grain of salt.  But it's clear we'll have a lot of options, and there won't be too many days where we'll be completely unable to support the pitching staff. 

I love this team and its personalities, so much.  The whole cast of characters.  Yes, even you, Harvey. 

Just now, RutgersJetFan said:

I love that fat ****.

If we were playing an MLB version of f*ck-kill-marry, it would have to be f*ck Cespedes, kill Bryce Harper, marry Bartolo.

Just now, JiF said:

It really is the most excited I've been in a long long time for a Mets season.  I've already got like 4 full weekends during the season planned for home games which I'm going to incorporate the Jets into now that my chick is up there. 

I dont know what it is, but I feel like we're about to pull a Royals.  WORLD SERIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We're going to watch the Royals get their stupid rings on opening day.  And use that for fuel for every single one of our 162 games and the postseason. 

7 minutes ago, JiF said:

LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lowest combined team ERA for starters in Mets  history?  Maybe MLB!!!!!!!!!!??????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!

In my fantasy baseball keeper league, I'm keeping Harvey and Thor this season.  Passing over guys like Joey Votto, Sonny Gray, and Yasiel Puig in the process.  I'm supremely confident in this team.  And we get Wheeler back around June too.  Holy sh*t.

The fact that there were only 16 teams for much of baseball history is big also.  A very high percentage of the 20 teams in 1968 had multiple superstars or even HOFers. 

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company