adb280z

2016 Mets Thread!

First why would any Mets fan be against giving Cespy a competitive deal. There's a big hole without him in the lineup. And the only reason we made the playoffs last year was because we added him. We have the starting pitching and the closer to win and some good position players but overall the offense and depth is just average or below average. We could take a chance and get lucky or wait until the trade deadline. But our team payroll of reportedly (by Sandy) 115 is very low. I'm just hoping that going into 2016 our entire roster is MLB not Pacific Coast League. 

Again you're just reposting the same old nonsense.

Show us how our entire roster is Pacific Coast League?  It's already been pointed out that the line-up as it stands today is better than last seasons first half one and that there were reasons other than Cespedes that caused the team to take off. 

Points to consider: Does Cespedes want to play CF?.....can he play CF long term? Why did he have his career year in his contact year?  Also your logic in an earlier post saying Sandy is hoping Herrera is MLB ready based on his Neise trade is silly.

If Cespedes doesn't sign here we get a bat at the deadline if needed....I'd take Joey Bats if available as he is in a walk year with Toronto.

Edited by GimmeShelter

I am honestly shocked that they were willing to overpay in the short-term to land Cespedes.  Kudos to the Mets.  

He can opt out after next season and appears to have a no trade clause. Still, it's a win for Sandy and the team as it gives them their big bat for at least next season and also allows them to see what they have in Conforto and Lagares.

The sweet thing with the Mets is that they always have the ability to trade one of their stud SP's for a huge bat should Cespedes walk after just one season.  It would have been perfect if they had got the deal done without the no trade clause just in case they don't do as well as most think next season but can't complain.

The line-up approaches AL like one through 8 in the order and we have a talented super utility guy in Flores. The SP is elite and the pen has been firmed up nicely this off season while the middle infield also vastly improved.

Puts us right back as the favorites along with the Cubs to return to the WS.

• Upvote 1

On another note $27.5 million is insane. 

Not sure if you watch SNY but I feel bad for I think it's Sal Licata who was screaming for weeks that Mets fans needed to move on as there was zero chance of a deal happening.  The 27.5 is insane but it's better than complaining about some of the foolish long term contracts we see in place over in the Bronx.  I think Sandy's approach is he'll address the big bat a season at a time if need be unless someone from the system emerges to fill that roll.  

So glad to have Yo back in the fold.  I am scratching my head at the people who have "concerns" over the guy.  I'm not expecting him to hit like he did those first 2 months here but he still will be a presence in our lineup that we BADLY needed.  I'll take .265 with 30 HRs.  And even if people's concerns about the guy do turn out to be valid (and I'm not in that group), it's not like we signed him for 5+ years.  In other words, he can't hurt us long-term.  The only way this goes bad is if he has a great year, opts-out and then we sign him for an A-Rod type deal that he goes bust on.  But I don't think SA would sign him to the A-Rod deal anyway.  And A-Rod actually didn't do that badly either.

Excellent post.

Yeah we have to temper our expectations a little as you note. The guy never had a season like his last one during his 4 years in the majors and we could very well get the 22HR- 85 RBI guy who misses 15 or so games due to injury which is good enough BTW.  That's partly why Sandy's deal is so impressive right now. Cespedes Has every reason to be motivated and if he is a bust due to injury, performance or whatever..... we're done with him in 3 years. 

I heard Terry say that there are zero restrictions on the SP's this coming season although I imagine that Wheeler if/when he returns would have some.

Should be a fun season.

• Upvote 1

Cespedes for the rest of us!!! 

LOL...I'm waiting for Durden to pop in and show us how this is not a good day for the kings of NY. 

Edited by GimmeShelter

So glad that we've gotten more value out of the Fulmer trade.

Yes we paid YC big money, but compared to seeing him walk after giving up a promising young pitcher in Fulmer for 8 weeks of YC would have been a tough pill to swallow.

Now we get to keep the guy we traded a potential #2 starter for.

That makes it easier to swallow.

Even better per Ken Rosenthal.

Cespedes eligible for qualifying offer if he opts out after one year. will get compensation pick if they make him QO and he departs.

• Upvote 2

So this is pretty cool. This and the invite he got to spring training, and also the fact that the only other first baseman on the roster is still Campbell, I think there is a legit shot we see this kid up this year. Especially if Duda has some back trouble again, because Campbell can't hit for sh*t.

I think we'll see Flores spend some time at 1B.....also think we signed Cantra who used to be w/the Angels to a Minor League deal. Nice to see another promising bat in the system though.

Good point about getting those 1st round draft picks. Because a first round draft selection has a monetary value. And as you see with our starting pitchers we have them under contract for a number of years before they can get top money, so if they are fast developing players like Conforto you get that extra value. That's why drafting college players is a good idea.  As for first base. Smith so far looks like a good prospect. And to me Lucas Duda is still a questionable commodity. Hopefully he has a consistent year and doesn't have to adjust his swing to lower his power. He looked better at the end of the season and wasn't swinging at pitches way out of the strike zone. 

Duda put the team on his back three for different stretches last season and looked good in the post season. Seriously dude...the minute we signed Cespedes you shifted your complaining to D'Arnaud and now Duda.  

Edited by GimmeShelter
  • Upvote 3

Alrighty then, so this is getting too weird at this point. Moving on:

I'm guessing Clippard. Which I'm fine with so long as it's not in a setup role in any sort of capacity.

Still don't understand what happened with him.  He was money and then just lost it to the point he could not be trusted.  

• Upvote 1

I think Conforto sits against lefties until he proves otherwise and that he also gets removed late in games when we have the lead. Cespedes who is not a true CF slides over to LF in those situations.  I eventually feel Conforto makes it impossible to sit him against lefties (at least I hope so) but he likely will always be part of a late inning defensive double switch type of move.

Nice line-up compared to the first half of last season.  Duda gets a lot of questionable comments but honestly, how many other 1st Baseman had better power numbers last season? I think he ranks right around the top 12-15 in that department.

7 hours ago, no psls said:

Dr Strangeglove strikes again . TWO HANDS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yep that play by Cespedes was a head scratcher. Not sure what Wright was looking for in the ninth with the tying run at 3rd and one out.

1 hour ago, faba said:

Degrom out early   hopefully nothing serious

I think it's the back tightening up again. Velocity still down a bit. Let's hope it's something that clears up and is not a season long issue.

• Upvote 2

On ‎4‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 7:24 PM, no psls said:

Matt Harvey ; 25-20 lifetime record ; real stud !!!!!!

Every season we seem to attract a troll with very little knowledge of the game.

Dr. Detroit's twin sister possibly?

Hopefully Harvey is just going through a rough patch as I really want to see this staff clicking on all cylinders.

Thor is quickly climbing to elite status.

Where's that guy who was berating the fact that we traded for Walker instead of giving Murphy three years?

• Upvote 1

On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 10:03 AM, Rangers9 said:

What most Mets fans want is to build on the pitching staff and give them adequate weapons to last an entire season. And to have a competitive payroll, not bottom ten. And not to play cheapball and hope that the team is competitive going into the trade deadline. What we've seen so far this off season is unsatisfactory.

:rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

It's amazing to think how quickly Thor has risen to the point of considered the best SP on the staff by some.

Imagine if Wheeler lives up to the hype he had as a minor leaguer.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, adb280z said:

It's such a random assortment of injuries.  It's not like he has a bad knee that keeps flaring up.  He just hurts everyting.

Some guy called into the FAN today and proposed trading Travis for Carlos Ruiz of the Phillies. Not happening.

3 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I am digging having a more stable lineup this year. Cabrera and Walker really changed the entire 1-9 of this lineup.

If Wright ever gets going and cuts down on his K's  and Travis gets/stays healthy the line-up could take off.

The middle infield deals were the hidden gems of Sandy's off season.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

If this keeps up then Kevin Long, he's the man!

Still can't congratulate the GM can you?   Despite not having their best Harvey and DeGrom yet, the team is playing very well in large part to the off season moves.

2 hours ago, no psls said:

It's Happy Harvey Day !! It's Happy Harvey Day !! But , what if Atlanta knocks him around .....

821549.gif

He's under the weather tonight but making the start. I don't know what the deal is with him so far. Perhaps all the stops and starts with the illness in spring training has him still finding his way. The strange part is he has a few innings of brilliance where he K's 5 guys in a row only to give up 2 or 3 runs an inning later.

I am happiest about Conforto and Thor stomping all over those comparisons  to Severino and Judge that we heard last season.

3 hours ago, JiF said:

Pretty much.  

Love seeing Matz really turn it around too.  Retired the first 19 of 20?  That's lights out. I mean, its the Braves but still. 

And I dont know what it means that the day after Collins called out Plawecki, Rivera homers...

Matz would be the #1 SP on more than a few teams including the one over in the Bronx.

• Upvote 2

On ‎5‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 10:21 AM, JiF said:

Holy sh*t, this west coast trip has been absolutely brutal. 

The Phillis are ahead of the Mets.  I know its baseball and this sh*t happens but let that sink in for a minute.  The Phillies. 

And the division is ridiculously competitive now because of it.

I think when and if Harvey and DeGrom  get through whatever it is that has them a bit off that the team will start to settle into a pattern of playing very good baseball on a consistent basis.  Of course we need the bats to stay healthy as well so we'll see.

Was watching the DBacks last night against the Yanks (who are a mess in every aspect) and they have some pieces in place that could make some noise this year as well.

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Where is Wheeler at in his recovery?  

Harvey is hard to watch these days.  Shame too.  He really was the lone bright spot for a while but he's just serving up meatballs these days.  Literally anyone can hit him.  

I know it might be a funk but is it too early to talk about him being possoble trade bait? 

We know we can't keep them all.  You have to think about it, no?

Can't think about trading him while his value is at an all time low.  Assuming he's healthy, he'll figure things out and be fine.  It is odd to watch him struggle like this right now however.

Wheeler is due back sometime around the All-Star break I think.

20 hours ago, Jolot said:

It's amazing what's happened to Harvey , there's obviously something wrong with him , I bet he gets shut down soon , even for a couple starts .

Possibly.

I heard on the FAN today that Strasburg was actually shut down for a month last season and has been his old self ever since. Who knows what the deal with Harvey is but it was funny to listen to our fan base call in and say he needs to be sent down. I forget the stat but it had to do with him having more games of allowing 1 run or less in his first 56 MLB starts then anyone in history.

I think that he and the team will be fine.  It would help if Travis came back and Wright stayed healthy/contributed but the team is too talented to justify how overboard some of the fan base is after a quarter of the season.  I think Rutgers is right in that we need an alternative to Wright ( I thought Flores would fill that role) via a trade as the season goes by. Nothing major, just a professional bat who can handle the position if Wright is hurt or not producing.

Come July a ton of guys will become available.

5 hours ago, SenorGato said:

The Mets' need for an IF, starting a couple minor leaguers against the Nationals this week, really makes me appreciate the Cubs' Zobrist signing from a totally different perspective. The Mets might be the team to beat in the NL with that signing...not that this isn't a very, very good Mets team.

True but the Cubs were still going to be the team to beat in the regular season. Lackey and Zobrist solidified that even further while Heyward's defense at least helps. Cubbies still need to prove that they can hit upper echelon pitching in the post season though.

1 hour ago, SenorGato said:

I forgot that the Mets' ownership is still crying poor and wouldn't pony up for Cespedes if they signed Zobrist.

Well actually....no one ponied up for him except for the Mets and Nats....and that includes the Cubbies. Looking like the best signing of the off season to date.

2 hours ago, SenorGato said:

OK? My point is that the Mets might not have pulled off Zobrist AND Cespedes, which is probably what it would have taken to put them ahead of the Cubs.

-----

What's up with Dilson Herrera? I've always liked him. Blocked by Walker - prospective starter in 2017?

Oh I agree with you. Mets got lucky that Zobrist took the Cub offer..

Swept the Brew Crew as they should have.  Harvey got through a good pen session and will be back on the hill on Tuesday.

For all the doom and gloom the team is 1 & 1/2 back.

13 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

Zobrist's deal ends when he is 38. He would have been a fantastic fit on the Mets' roster, you just have one of the bottom tier owners in the league is all. I thought Cubs fans' lack of recognition of their team's big market identity was insufferable, but Mets fans take the cake easily on that one. I couldn't possibly care less that the Cubs are paying one of the best players in baseball over the last decade ~$14m a year until he's 38. If you guys sh*t your pants over that price for Zobrist, still clearly a very good player, good luck staying relevant once all your arms blow up.

Mets ownership has been cheap. There is nothing the fans can do other than boycott the product which will not happen after sweeping the Cubs like they were a single A team in the NLCS and making it to the WS. 

They did make an offer to Zobrist and again, due to their spending limits and need for a power bat, they were lucky he went elsewhere. Cespedes is a much more important piece for the team than Zobrist ever would have been. The Cubs spent a lot this off season but they also off set some of the Zobrist money with the Castro deal.  Again, you can't blame fans over what ownership will or will not spend.

Not sure I'd call Zobrist one of the best players in baseball over the past decade. He's a good player.... a nice piece of the pie on a good team.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, SenorGato said:

You overestimate what $14m  a year will get you in FA. If 4/56 to a FA makes you sh*t your pants then I look forward to the reactions come Syndergaard's arb years or an extension. Man, seriously, good luck staying relevant as a franchise once those arms blow up.

It's comments about the arms blowing up is why people try and get under your skin.

Time usually has a way for answering debates pretty accurately.  Last year I think there was the debate on whether to sign Zimmerman or not in Cubs land. Time will also tell if Heyward was a good signing.  The part that you are overlooking in attempting to dis the Mets ownership and fan base is that Zobrist (long term) was not a position of need for the Mets. He wasn't for the Cubs either but they off set some cash with the Castro deal so it made sense.

The Cubs went all in this year and spent the cash. Mets fans wish they had an owner who did likewise but trust me, Ben Zobrist is not making the fan base lose any sleep.

5 hours ago, SenorGato said:

Wouldn't have happened if you guys could just take a compliment.

The Cubs are all in for a whole lot longer than this year. Heyward was a good signing that probably will be a great signing by the time his opt outs come up. Zobrist is already one of the big difference makers between the Cubs and the Mets this year, the Cubs' lineup depth just trounces theirs. That Mets fans aren't losing any sleep over passing on Zobrist is mostly a matter of underrating the player, overrating what you can get in FA (while underrating what it costs), and a long history with accepting mediocrity.

Not underrating the player...he's a good player.... A great addition for a team that thinks they have WS aspirations. Is he a huge upgrade over Walker or Castro even? The season will tell.

BTW...the Cubs have won 4 more games than the Mets this season.  I'll tip my hat to their front office for being all in but until I see otherwise in the post season I will always think of their line-up as "Good Morning, Good Afternoon and Good Night" when facing a staff like the Mets.

P.S.  Cub fans should not talk mediocrity as it relates to other teams and fan bases until.... you know.....they win something.

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company