adb280z

2016 Mets Thread!

Adam Rubin ESPN Staff Writer 

The Mets have settled with three of their nine arbitration-eligible players. Addison Reed receives $5.3 million in his final season before free agency. First-time arbitration eligible relievers Carlos Torres ($1.05 million) and Josh Edgin ($625,000) also settled. Still unresolved: Matt Harvey, Lucas Duda, Neil Walker, Jeurys Familia, Ruben Tejada and Jenrry Mejia.

Mets have settled with Harvey also. 4.35M

• Upvote 1

Smith and Cecchini invited to spring training. I'm excited to see what Smith can do, I think he'll definitely be up in 2017 but if he can pull some sh*t off in Binghamton I could definitely see Alderson bringing him up. Particularly during interleague play when they could just DH Duda.

T.J Rivera getting an invite intrigues me too. Word has been for a while that they're high on him being a utility guy, so I guess this is his first shot.

Smith is still not as far along as Conforto was at this time last year. His power still has to develop.

It would be great to see Smith turn into a Derek Lee type, but with a little less power

I'm actually the opposite, but we'll see. I think they're giving it one more year with Nimmo, maybe even just half a season, to see if he looks like he can be an everyday player. The problem is he's been so inconsistent, I guess they just want to stick it out a little longer to see if things finally click. I certainly think that's worth the risk if it can help us save some money on the back end when it's time to resign some of the pitchers. If both these guys work out that saves the Mets a TON of money, because if both Dilson and Nimmo are busts, we're going to have to buy both positions next year; which also means Sandy gets to delightfully try to find a balance with what he can spend and the Wilpons' Madoff payments. The Mets don't have many other outfielders or 2nd basemen that are that far along in the minors, so they would most certainly have to buy both positions for 2017.

Nimmo will not get more than a September sniff this year, unless there is a rash of injuries.

When panic comes from a snow storm, people buy bread and milk.

What happens when there is panic with Mets moves, do people run out and buy Rangers tickets?

No panic, it's just that as a long time Mets fan I'd like to see the team be competitive in the off season just like any contending team does. Whatever the case I'll root for them 100% even though I despise their ownership. I blame a lot of this on the Commissioner's office for consistently backing the Wilpons. Not only Bud Selig but the new Commish too. They are letting them water down the MLB brand in it's most major market. 

Yup. last year was the last straw for me too. Sucks we have to put up with this.

What would the QO for a player who just made $27 mil?? Is it $15 mil like we offered Murphy?

Nice job by Sandy and a dumb move by YC agent. Who's going to pay a guy $20+ mil AND give up a 1st rd. pick?

The QO is an average of the top 125 salaries in the game.

So, obviously, Cespedes would not take that, because he would lose money from his current deal.

It is interesting that the agent allowed that language, so it appears the Mets had some leverage. Nice job by Sandy

• Upvote 1

A prospect isn't being covered. And I'm not a troll. And I'm not going to be waving any banners for Sandy or the org either. I don't forget or forgive the previous five seasons of spending no money and dipping into the farm system (for minor leaguers) which translated to 70 plus win seasons. I'm happy now because I think the org has given the team a chance to win. And that a 140 payroll while low is adequate. While I'm not for giving up on Duda last season he started to remind me of Ike Davis. Very inconsistent. But I think he needs another season to see how he does. He was looking better at the end of the year and maybe he was starting to put it together and listen to his hitting coach. If he goes into a deep black hole again he has to be replaced. 

You really do act like a troll.

For sure. They can't keep Montero and Verett down the entire year. Even Gilmartin who got some hella good experience last year and seemed to gain more control of his stuff as the year went on.

Montero and or Robles are key to this team this year.

Only if we could pay them millions of more dollars would I feel comfortable though.

• Upvote 1

Still don't understand what happened with him.  He was money and then just lost it to the point he could not be trusted.  

When his slider is down, it is a very, very good pitch. When it stays up, it flies quickly.

His change up in general produces a lot of fly balls. But when a hitter can pick it out, it gets crushed.

Edited by Scott Dierking

52 minutes ago, JiF said:

LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lowest combined team ERA for starters in Mets  history?  Maybe MLB!!!!!!!!!!??????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!

Impossible. If you consider 1968 alone (the last year before they lowered the mound), the average ERA for a team was just under 3.00. Best team in the majors last year, the Cardinals at 2.96.

Whenever you want to look at pitching records, 1968 is a good place to start.

23 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

So tricky comparing an era where guys pitch 6-7 innings once or twice a week to some of the earlier eras. I think Walter Johnson has more complete games pitched than Bartolo has total career starts.

I am reading a book by Bob Gibson right now What he did in 1968 is absolutely sick:

22-9 1.12 ERA 304 innings 268ks 34 starts 28 complete games

24 minutes ago, JiF said:

Yep!  She was down there.  Didnt invite her Uncle.  haha.  Good thing though, she ended up getting pretty sick and had to head back to Orlando.  We will be back down soon though.

It's actually pretty cool what transpired after this whole calendar girl fiasco.  When 7line had the cover girl competition for the calendar, my whole family flew up and went to the Reveal Party at McFaddens in the stadium.  It was a blast and we ended up meeting a Mets tickets sales guy who told Collins about her story.  Collins embraced it, knew she was a passionate Mets fan and any time she wants tickets, Collins leave her a few.  Really cool of him, he's been a big supporter and even made a donation to the gym that my family started in Orlando - Step it up Recovery which got picked up by Project Walk.

Here's an articles on her if you're interested.  She's truly an amazing inspiration.  

http://www.tcpalm.com/opinion/guest-columns/amanda-perla-dont-tell-this-new-york-mets-fan-she-will-never-walk-again-ep-632799270-341437461.html

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/mets/wheelchair-no-handicap-mets-fan-calendar-model-amanda-perla-article-1.1985293

Very brave young lady and an inspiration. A lot of complain about so much stuff, and really have no right in doing so.

But the Dolphins? The Dolphins?

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/14976693/new-york-mets-place-ruben-tejada-waivers

Sources: Mets place IF Ruben Tejada on waivers

JUPITER, Fla. -- Ruben Tejada's days with the New York Mets appear numbered.

Tejada has been placed on waivers, paving the way for the Mets to free themselves from paying a large portion of the infielder's salary, multiple baseball officials told ESPN.

Tejada was due to be on Tuesday's trip for a Grapefruit League game against the St. Louis Cardinals, but his bag was left behind when the bus departed.

Mets general manager Sandy Alderson declined to comment. Major League Baseball prohibits teams from discussing waivers.

Tejada was due to make $3 million this season, his final year before free agency. However, when the Mets tendered him a contract on Dec. 2, they did not foresee adding two middle infielders later that month -- Neil Walker and Asdrubal Cabrera.

If no team claims Tejada by Thursday, the Mets could cut him more than 15 days before Opening Day and would then have to pay only one-sixth of his salary, or $500,000.

Even with Cabrera potentially opening the season on the disabled list with a strained patellar tendon in his left knee, the Mets are comfortable parting with Tejada. Wilmer Flores can handle shortstop until Cabrera is ready, and prospect Matt Reynolds can serve as a backup.

Tejada had returned healthy this spring training after suffering a fractured fibula in his right leg on a slide from Chase Utley of the Los Angeles Dodgers during Game 2 of the National League Division Series.

The guy had a bright future, seemingly 3 years ago. He was a tough out and would battle in at bat better than any Met at the time. Then, he just seemed to get lazy.

Let's you know bios worth that no team would trade for him, and that it has to come to a release.

3 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

I think a mistake esp with Cabrera injured. He was their 2nd best shortstop. But they did try to trade him and couldn't get a trade partner. Last week there were rumors he was getting traded to the Cardinals but no deal. btw the Mets saved 2.5 million cutting him. He won 3 mil in arbitration (maybe the key reason he was released) but the Mets had to give him about 500K off of that contract. 

Mets and Tejada never went to arbitration. They agreed upon a 1-year $3 mill contract

12 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

You're right. 

The Mets have obviously told us that they are not worried about defense, that they would much rather have offense first players.

16 hours ago, JiF said:

Matt Harvey shut down for the rest of spring training for . . . reasons

Matt Harvey did not travel with the team to Jupiter, Florida today because he had a “non-orthopedic doctor’s appointment.” The Mets did not say what it was about, but now they are saying that he is being shut down for the spring. What’s more, when asked about how this impacts his season opening start against the Royals on Sunday, Mets manager Terry Collins, when asked about Harvey said “it’s hard to say about Opening Day.”

This is all kind of weird, especially given the unusual lack of details regarding a player’s health. But we presume there will be updates in due time. In the meantime, here’s hoping it’s not serious.

Supposedly, blood clots in bladder, is fine now.

Hopefully throw Wednesday, and then is good to go on Opening Day.

We will see

39 minutes ago, no psls said:

Nah , we didn't need Daniel Murphy .

Murphy2_1440_64gifupb_3il61kn2@2x.png

Neil Walker is a better total player. He also comes with a one year contract, so that the Mets can move onto the future with Dilson Herrera. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

38 minutes ago, no psls said:

The Mets will regret giving up on Murphy .

images.png

The Mets tendered him an offer. He decided to shop himself elsewhere. The Mets had someone waiting in the wings, that they feel will be a larger part of their organization.

You don't manage a roster worrying about regret. 

2 hours ago, JiF said:

I've been out of the country, I take it we suck again? 

No rhythm or continuity to this team right now. Hopefully it gets straightened out in a couple of weeks of playing regularly. 

Pitchers have missed their spots, and hitters just making consistent contact.

50 minutes ago, JiF said:

Havent been able to watch a single pitch yet.  Looking forward to getting to watch a little of the new look with a professional infield.  That should be fun!

Early season jitters.  They'll work through it.  I'm sure the expectations and weird start to the season plays a factor.  Putting more stress on yourself than necessary. 

I saw some stat lines, it looks like Conforto is batting well, Grandy getting off to a terrible start and Duda is still lost somewhere in Manhattan? 

The middle infield has been one of the few bright spots. I feel we have a definite upgrade there.

Cespedes worries me in CF. He just does not seem to get to some balsa that Lagares gets to. If Grandy does not start hitting soon, may have to have Conforto and Cespedes at the Corners (I know they are loathe to doing that) with Lagares in the middle.

Bottom line of things, the pitchers just do not look sharp, which you know they will be eventually.

2 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Montero called up for long relief. Better safe than sorry.

Henderson has also been one of the revelations, as well the bullpen has generally performed very well as a whole. 

Would love to see Montero do well this year

Without speed, this team has to figure out how to string hits together and build an inning, rather than waiting on the home run.

3 hours ago, JiF said:

Jacob deGrom’s son ‘doing better,’ may leave hospital soon

Modal Triggersd.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=288&strip=
Stacey and Jacob deGromPhoto: Stacey deGrom's Facebook

CLEVELAND — Jacob deGrom might finally get to exhale from what had to be a stressful week.

The Mets pitcher, according to manager Terry Collins, may get to take home his newborn son, Jaxon, from the hospital as soon as Monday. DeGrom was placed on the bereavement/family emergency list Saturdaybecause of “complications” the baby was facing.

“[Saturday] I talked to [deGrom] and the baby is doing better, so that was a good sign,” Collins said before the Mets beat the Indians 6-0 at Progressive Field. “I just told Jake he needs to get some rest and mix in a meal.”

in-art-countdown-icon-128x128x3s.gif?d=1
–– ADVERTISEMENT ––

in-art-soundanimation-icon-41x48.gif

DeGrom threw a bullpen session Sunday in Port St. Lucie and reported no problems with his previously bothersome right lat, according to Collins. The right-hander is expected to throw a simulated game on Tuesday as Logan Verrett takes his spot in the rotation in Philadelphia.

The Mets have until Saturday to add deGrom back to the roster. Eric Campbell was added after deGrom was placed on the bereavement/family emergency list.

More important than any game or season

It should not go without notice what a remarkable addition Asdrubal Cabrera has been at SS. For the first time, since the Jose Reyes era, the Mets have a professional SS at the position. 

• Upvote 1

I will be interested to see how the offense responds to Florida this weekend, where the home runs do not come at such a frequency. 

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I would have to think Walker handles 3B if Wright goes down, no?  I think we need to at least get an idea of what we have in Dilson at some point this season.

Flores would go to 3rd if Wright goes down.

Walker is just a one year rental. Though, it will be interesting to see if they tender him, as they did Murphy. I would doubt it though, as they seem very high on Herrera, and that will hopefully give them more $$ to sign some pitching extensions.

Sounds like D'Arnaud is about to go on the DL. He is made of china. Hopefully Plawecki can do a better job slowing the turn game. I actually like how he has been hotting better than D'Arnaud to date.

Mets also need to start thinking how to phase out Wright, I see his bat slowing, and he is more a mistake hitter than anything else. Hope I am wrong.

Michael Fullmer has been called up by the Tigers. It will be interesting to see how he performs-He was a big cog in the Cespedes trade

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I dunno. Fulmer seems like a lock to be good, but I feel like no matter what happens it was a good trade for both sides. The Mets don't run away with the division without him last year and who knows if they would have had him this year. An established relationship certainly played a part in him coming back to Flushing.

Totally agree. Good trade regardless. Still, always fun to see how the farm system develops outside of the Mets. 

13 hours ago, GimmeShelter said:

He's under the weather tonight but making the start. I don't know what the deal is with him so far. Perhaps all the stops and starts with the illness in spring training has him still finding his way. The strange part is he has a few innings of brilliance where he K's 5 guys in a row only to give up 2 or 3 runs an inning later.

I am happiest about Conforto and Thor stomping all over those comparisons  to Severino and Judge that we heard last season.

Harvey has definitely been "off" all year long. He does not have a swing and miss pitch right now. He is battling out there with average stuff. The fastball does not seem to have late life to it, and the breaking pitches are 50/50 whether they are flat or sharp breaking.

20 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Oh god dammit. If this sh*t keeps up they should call Smith up.

Smith is not ready. He is still very raw. 

4 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Meh. His glove is ready and Campbell is absolute garbage at the plate. If we have to play with a 7-man lineup we're better off getting him the ABs.

You can ruin a kid like that. let him develop.

Flores will be back later this week, and for better or worse, he needs to fill in.

7 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Yes. Experience is always a bad thing.

Experience is good if you can take something away from it that is positive,

There is a reason you do not start kids in the ML out of high school

2 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Thanks for the tips as always Coach. But Smith is 3 years out of high school.

And has played 40 games above A ball.

Be as snarky as you want, but Smith is not coming up,. There are smarter people in this org than that,

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company