adb280z

2016 Mets Thread!

Sandy has already said that the budget for '16 will be about 115. And that he has no interest in Cespedes. He calls him a non-fit because he'd have to play center field. I mean you don't sigh Cespedes for his defense do you anyways. So the plan looks similar to last year: under spend and hope you are in contention around July and then use your minor league system to make deals for bats. (somebody like Cargo). You pay a portion of their salary and then let them go after the season. The assumption being that you will have a decent record like last year going into the stretch. That's a big assumption. And that you can make a deal for a big hitter. Last season Sandy waited until 15 minutes left before the deadline before agreeing to the Cespy trade. Another team could have made a deal for him while he was holding his cards. You see teams like the Giants (who have recent big time success) not waiting and signing free agents (mostly middle tier) to rebuild their roster. To me this is the way to go. 115 doesn't hack it. Too bad we have to work around this ownership. 

Dude. We get it.

Ok. But if you're a Mets fan some things have to be said. You can't just accept what they're doing and act like it's alright. If you disagree then NP (no problem). 

I have no idea if what they're doing is alright. Neither do you. We're 4 months away from a pitch being thrown.

• Upvote 1

They failed to improve their bullpen and their opening day lineup looks worse than the one that started the playoffs.  If I were a betting man, I think I'd have to plunk my money down on "not a good offseason".

Who would take such a bet? Because I'd like to put $8 billion on the Buffalo Bills.

It amazes me how an improbable WS run has made everyone ignore the fact that we have the worst owners in sports, whose greed and stupidity is going to waste the best cost-controlled starting pitching in the FA era of baseball.  I guess if we pretend the team is heading in the right direction, it will magically happen.

True story. I actually masturbate to pictures of Fred Wilpon now.

• Upvote 1

I liked Murph a lot, but I'm pretty sure Fred Wilpon is probably a better second baseman. Given how brilliant and not-greedy he is, and debt-free, he'd probably be ideal.

Actual question here: Is there a threshold date with RFAs and draft picks? Meaning if we pick up Fowler in March or something. Bizarre that he's still out there, gotta believe it has to do with giving up a pick. There's actually a bunch of decent to solid everyday players still available. Ces, Upton, Veneble...etc.

Votto's contract is horrible and the Mets wouldn't touch him unless the Reds are picking up half of what's left.  He also has a full NTC and is apparently not a fan of big cities.  I'd bet my $8 billion that he will not be a Met.

Which of the SP's are you going to trade and what would you consider to be reasonable return for a cost-controlled, top-end SP?  Save for Wheeler (who would be kind of foolish to sell low on), our other SP's would probably not yield enough in return right now to justify trading them this year.  Harvey is the "eldest" of the bunch and he's not a FA until 2019.

Outside of a Harvey-for-Mookie Betts swap, I can't think of any scenarios that make sense for the Mets to move one of their top-4 SP's.

Just let me hold on to my Stanton dream for another year or two. Don't take that away from me you heartless jackal.

Murphy's outlier performance in the NLDS and NLCS is clouding Ranger9's judgement as much as the Mets improbable WS run has JF80 and RJF convinced that they have a reasonable chance of returning with an offseason that is, thus far, a net negative compared to what they ended the season with.

Murphy is no bueno.

You're way off. Go back to the '15 thread, I called all of this months ago.

Murphy's outlier performance in the NLDS and NLCS is clouding Ranger9's judgement as much as the Mets improbable WS run has JF80 and RJF convinced that they have a reasonable chance of returning with an offseason that is, thus far, a net negative compared to what they ended the season with.

Murphy is no bueno.

You're way off. Go back to the '15 thread, I called all of this months ago.

Bazinga!

Look, the Mets are going to be limited in FA this year. The Wilpons have like a $40 million Madoff payment coming up. I think this year drew a bunch of people back into the Mets who hadn't been paying the closest attention the past 4-5 years, so they're expecting the Mets to go all in and go for it because of their success this season. Truth of the matter is that between the Madoff sh*t and Alderson's style, that's not the Mets and that's not how we've built this team back up. Every now and then they'll make a Granderson or Bartolo move, but those are few and far between. If we spend on anything, I suspect it will be for a bullpen, where Sandy made an endless barrage of trades this year and still came up short. So expect us to be in the running for guys like O'Day or maybe even a trade like Uehara.

Do not expect Zobrist or Kendrick. The Mets want Herrera playing second. I would not get my hopes up for Rasmus either. Maaaaybe they resign Ces, but that's 50/50.

One other related problem is the Mets are stuck in a bit of limbo. They have a handful of really good prospects that are still probably a year or two away (Rosario, Smith...etc), so they have to decide how worth it it is to go after long-term deals for positions that will be filled by the end of 2017 by kids who are not only very good but that they've also invested a ton of time and money into already.

One of the few guys out there that makes sense, but it means you'd have to play Granderson in CF in 2017.

I gotta believe they're not counting on him to be an everyday player by then. Granderson is blessed with some killer genes and takes very good care of himself, but father time is undefeated. Even when they signed him I thought that 4th year was just a pot sweetener. He'll be what, 36? He's pretty much my age. And being the superb athlete that I am, if I can't do it neither can he.

Your expectations coming true has nothing to due with your misguided optimism.

My Tug McGraw quote pillow that I sleep on is not misguided.

• Upvote 1

Look, Grandy had a good year in 2015. His performance was better than his stats were.

His WAR was 5.1.

Sorry, somebody needs to temper the overly-optimistic bullsh*t being spewed in here.

Pretty clear I was responding to a small point he made which was incorrect. Trying to be cynically informative by extrapolating that is kind of pointless considering we're all capable of looking up basic numbers in a few seconds.

The went to the World Series man. Didn't they they?

I'm not sure. I am afraid to acknowledge that happened because I don't wanna be called an illiterate optimist bathing in a sea of credulous naivety again.

• Upvote 1

These first 2 pages of the 2016 thread are pathetic.  B*tching about a team that won a pennant about 85 days ago and infighting about it.  We're doing adb a disservice right now. 

Eh, it's the Mets. Nature of the fanbase. We're essentially a group manifestation of Ira from Staten Island.

• Upvote 1

I root more for them to shut up the naysayers and know it alls than anything else half the time. Buying in to the negativity in the media towards them fuels a lot of it I think

It was an act of God what happened last year I guess.....cause everything about them absolutely sucks and there's idiots running the team on and off the field

It was the same routine last year here too. I'm cool with it. People bitching on the internet didn't really have an effect on deGrom's gorgeous hair nor Thor's giant throbbing hammer.

• Upvote 1

Metsmerized - Proceed with caution as I have not been able to confirm this with another media outlet, but according to Rich Mancuso of NY Sports Day, formerly of the Daily News and WFAN, multiple sources have told him that not only are the Mets engaged in negotiations with Yoenis Cespedes, but the two sides may be closing in on a one or two year deal. “A source at Roc Nation, agents for Cespedes, and involved in their pro boxing division, was able to confirm that negotiations reopened late Wednesday with Cespedes and the Mets organization. And two other sources with knowledge have been able to confirm that Cespedes and the Mets are meeting with a one or two year deal on the table that is agreeable for both sides.” “The source said, “Yoenis loves New York and it has always been his thinking to work a deal there.” What was once a multi -year deal, and one that the Mets would not consider because of their payroll restrictions, is now a thing of the past.” Finally, Mancuso cites a fourth source – a high ranking baseball official – who says “the Mets may be close to re-signing Cespedes to a one or two-year deal.” The Atlanta Braves have also joined in the hunt for Cespedes along with the Detroit Tigers, Baltimore Orioles, and the Chicago White Sox. Again, no other media source has confirmed this so thread carefully. But Mancuso is a well respected veteran journalist.

• Upvote 1

Yea

I'm trying not to get sucked too hard into this one. I've only recently come to grips with my Yo Knows Beisbol shirt being rendered obsolete. I can't take going through that all over again.

It's almost as if people shouldn't have kneejerk reactions about a team's offseason until the offseason is actually over.  So weird.

ESPN just ranked us the best rotation in the league. It's a shame the season's already a wash.

• Upvote 1

The latest rumor has Cespy going to the Orioles, or at least they supposedly have offered him a contract. A few on this board seem to get pissed if you criticize management or don't accept the status quo being given us by the Wilpons and Sandy.Maybe they are Mets shareholders, they sure act like it.

Yes. That's it. We're pissed. How dare you. Now if you'll excuse me I have my Fred Wilpon blanket to finish knitting.

• Upvote 1

If Ces is sitting on that Baltimore offer right now they have to be going back to the Mets and begging for something in a similar ballpark. That dude wants to play in New York bad. There are like 5 Cubans in all of Baltimore, no way he really wants to play there.

• Upvote 1

Smith and Cecchini invited to spring training. I'm excited to see what Smith can do, I think he'll definitely be up in 2017 but if he can pull some sh*t off in Binghamton I could definitely see Alderson bringing him up. Particularly during interleague play when they could just DH Duda.

T.J Rivera getting an invite intrigues me too. Word has been for a while that they're high on him being a utility guy, so I guess this is his first shot.

I wonder if Nimmo is somebody Sandy is considering as a significant contributor, or in the equation in the OF. He  seems like a decent player that does a lot of things okay, not great at anything particular tho

I think Nimmo is the reason they have been hesitant to invest long term in any center fielders. Gives them an extra year to decide if Nimmo is the real deal, because it seems like they're still not 100% sure. We'll get someone, it's just a matter of who, and if Nimmo shows any signs of being good enough by July or August at the latest he'll get called up. Then they'll shop Lagares again like they did last year.

Also this is the same reason they traded for Walker with respect to Herrera. But I'm still not sold on Herrera.

• Upvote 1

I'm more interested in Dilson than Nimmo.  I don't think Nimmo is anything more than a 4th OF type.  

I'm actually the opposite, but we'll see. I think they're giving it one more year with Nimmo, maybe even just half a season, to see if he looks like he can be an everyday player. The problem is he's been so inconsistent, I guess they just want to stick it out a little longer to see if things finally click. I certainly think that's worth the risk if it can help us save some money on the back end when it's time to resign some of the pitchers. If both these guys work out that saves the Mets a TON of money, because if both Dilson and Nimmo are busts, we're going to have to buy both positions next year; which also means Sandy gets to delightfully try to find a balance with what he can spend and the Wilpons' Madoff payments. The Mets don't have many other outfielders or 2nd basemen that are that far along in the minors, so they would most certainly have to buy both positions for 2017.

Nimmo will not get more than a September sniff this year, unless there is a rash of injuries.

If they don't sign Yo (or Fowler...etc), my prediction is they call him up around June, they'll give him a about a month and a half to adjust and get a good look, then decide if they need to make a move for someone.

It appears that with no team willing to offer Yoenis Cespedes a long-term deal, the Mets and White Sox  now have some added competition as a few new teams are jumping into the fray.

Ken Rosenthal of Fox Sports is reporting that the Washington Nationals are now showing interest in Cespedes after losing out on Justin Upton. Like the Mets and White Sox, they will consider him on a short-term deal of three years or less...The New York Mets got a lot of flak early in November, when they took a three-year or nothing posture with Yoenis Cespedes. And at the time I wrote that maybe the Mets were actually ahead of the curve and being the adults in the room.

Since then, we’ve seen a lot of teams with reported interest come and go, with almost all of them balking at a long-term deal for the Cuban slugger.

MLB.com has named Mets 1B prospect Dominic Smithto its minor-league All-Defensive Team (Jan. 19, 2016).

"He has great hands and footwork around the bag to go along with an accurate arm," Jonathan Mayo explains. "Infielders are going to love throwing to him at the big league level."

Smith, 20, was recently ranked by MLB.com as the organization's fifth-best prospect. He was named the 2015 MVP in the Florida State League, where he hit .305 with 33 doubles. 

He was also recently named to MLB.com's Arizona Fall League All-AFL Team.

• Upvote 1

Conforto, Neil Walker, and Asdrubal Cabrera represent upgrades at 3 starting positions from where we were on opening day 2015.  Most importantly, our depth at 2B, SS, 3B and OF are also significantly better as a result.  We won't need to call up the Eric Campbell's of the world if we suffer some injuries like we did last year.  So yes, we are significantly better, right now.

You are fighting a lost cause. Let it go. Move on.

• Upvote 2

SNY reporting it's down to us, the Sox, Nats, and Angels.

I don't even get the Nats involvement in this. They Nats have like 4 starting outfielders already. Harper, Werth, Taylor, and they traded for Revere too. I'm calling bullsh*t and that they're just trolling the Mets hard on this one.

The Mets have agreed to terms with free-agent LH reliever Antonio Bastardo, according to Jon Heyman (Jan. 20).

The deal will be for $12 million over two years, according to Jesse Sanchez of MLB.com (Jan. 20).

Bastardo, 30, posted a 2.98 ERA and 1.13 WHIP last season for the Pirates while striking out 64 batters in 57 1/3 innings. He had reportedly been seeking a three-year deal. 

Bastardo has been effective against both left-handers and right-handers during his seven-year career, with lefties hitting .178 with a .277 OBP and .319 SLG against him and righties hitting .211 with a .308 OBP and .332 SLG.

Along with the Mets, the Dodgers, Orioles, and Blue Jays had also been linked to Bastardo.

• Upvote 1

That's a really good signing. Bastardo is a reliable reliever. Plus that's a ******* awesome jersey to buy.

• Upvote 1

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company